Spain
8 (28.6%)
Germany
1 (3.6%)
Italy
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 06, 2005, 11:34:09 AM

Author Topic: Best league in the world  (Read 9254 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Best league in the world
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2005, 08:19:11 AM »
Let me give ah different spin How many English British players leave dem league and shine abroad.

English/British successes abroad.

Souness, Wilkins, Samways,  Charles, Keegan, Brady, Trevor Francis, Archibald, Lineker, Joe Jordan, Hately, Platt

English/Brtish Failures
Des Walker, Hughes, Gascoigne, Blissett, Law and Greaves

It would be interestin to see your definition of "success".
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England's record against South Americans
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2005, 08:21:11 AM »
Palos yuh know fully well dat de only South American countries dat could mash up England on a regular basis is Brazil and Argentina. Dey have the players to do it. Man wouldn't bet dey money, life or a bald head wife on any of dem other South American countries to beat England.

It is interesting to note dat Argentina has a losing record against England.

England's record against South American Opponents:

OpponentPWDL
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:19:30 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2005, 08:43:46 AM »
and as if to prove my point about Forlan and Thierry Henry here is what BBC.com says this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4593173.stm

Henry and Forlan win Golden Shoe 
 EUROPE'S TOP SCORERS

1= D Forlan (Villareal) 50pts
1= T Henry (Arsenal) 50pts
3= S Eto'o (Barcelona) 48pts
3= C Lucarelli (Livorno) 48pts
3= M Mintal (Nurnburg) 48pts
6 F Tekke (T'zonspor) 46.5pts

2 points, 1.5 or 1 point awarded per goal depending on quality of domestic league 
Villarreal's Diego Forlan and Arsenal's Thierry Henry and will share the Golden Shoe award for being this season's top goalscorers in Europe.

Ex-Manchester United striker Forlan scored twice on Sunday for his Spanish team to join Henry on the 25-goal mark.

Henry becomes the first player to win the award two years in a row.

It is only the second time it has been shared. In 1989/90 Bulgarian Hristo Stoichkov and Mexican Hugo Sanchez were the joint winners.

Henry is the sixth player to win the award twice, joining such legends as Eusebio and Gerd Muller.

Forlan's double came as Villarreal beat Levante 4-1 to clinch a spot in the next season's Champions League.

Well done Forlan - why couldn't he do it at Man Utd?

From RL
Have your say on 606

"It's been an incredible season and we couldn't have finished it in better style," the Uruguayan said.

"I'm very happy to have ended up as top scorer as it is something that doesn't happen every day.

"Qualifying for the Champions League is a prize that we all deserve as we worked hard for it throughout season."

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:46:30 AM by Tallman »

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2005, 08:52:21 AM »
From www.sportinglife.com

It is all a far cry from Forlan's miserable two-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, where he had to wait eight months and 27 games for his first goal.

Forlan appears to have settled much better at Villarreal than he ever did in Manchester after his £7.5million move in January 2002.

He has also built up a better understanding with his team-mates - particularly playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme - with many of his goals coming from around the six-yard box, his goalscoring instincts have returned.

Perhaps Forlan has found a more homely atmosphere in Spain. At Villarreal, the club president Fernando Roig has brought together what amounts to a small South American family.

Coach Manuel Pellegrini is from Chile and with Forlan included, there are nine South Americans at the club.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: England's record against South Americans
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2005, 09:45:18 AM »

It is interesting to note dat Argentina has a losing record against England.

England's record against South American Opponents:

OpponentPWDL
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

How many of them games before 1950?
And of the English players who had "success" abroad how many of them play within the last decade?
Include Paul Ince, Beckham and Owen on that list.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:19:45 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England's record against South Americans
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2005, 10:36:50 AM »
How many of them games before 1950?
And of the English players who had "success" abroad how many of them play within the last decade?
Include Paul Ince, Beckham and Owen on that list.

England never played against a South American opponent before 1950.

De only players dat ah could tink of who had any kinda success in de last decade is McManaman, Ince and Owen.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
remember that Vieria and Henry were failures in Italy before going to the premiership. Berkamp was less than god etc

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2005, 01:52:32 PM »
I wouldn't call young players who don't set Italy alight failures. Vieira hardly got a chance and would have been successful in Italy if he had more time and got a real chance. henry and Bergkamp still went for big money so they were obviously still valued players.

If you look at the successful players who were developed in in Italy most of them came through at a small club or after "failing" at a nother club.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »
Another point to consider about de style of play in England. Air ball is absolutely necessary at times when man playing in one set of rain and sometimes sleet. Short pass ground ball thing doh be effective in such conditions. People have dis idea dat Brazil and Argentina could waltz in and beat England anytime anywhere knowing dat de South Americans doh have no big set of WC wins when de tourney is held in Europe. Itlay and Spain also have a lot less rain than England which further suits the style of play favoured by the South American players. In wet conditions, dem English fellas have the advantage in my book. Now is not like it doh rain in Brazil etc...but is not like de EPL where rain and football is de norm.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 06:49:22 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »
Another point to consider about de style of play in England. Air ball is absolutely necessary at times when man playing in one set of rain and sometimes sleet. Short pass ground ball thing doh be effective in such conditions. People have dis idea dat Brazil and Argentina could waltz in and beat England anytime anywhere knowing dat de South Americans doh have no big set of WC wins when de tourney is held in Europe. Itlay and Spain also have a lot less rain than England which further suits the style of play favoured by the South American players. In wet conditions, dem English fellas have the advantage in my book. Now is not like it doh rain in Brazil etc...but is not like de EPL where rain and football is de norm.
Brazil is the only team to win a World Cup outside of their continent.  They won both in Europe and Asia.  However, no European team has ever won a World Cup in South America or Mexico.
One cannot compare the performances of national teams as a guide to determine the best league.  If that was the case then the English league cannot be considered good because England have not won anything since 1966.
It is very difficult to determine which is the best league because there are several factors that must be considered and there is no accurate way to come up with a "correct answer".  At the end of the day, it will boil down to opinion.
In my opinion, the Spanish league is the most entertaining, the English the most demanding (physical strength) and the Italian league is the toughest (tough defences).  As for the best league?  It depends on the definition of "best".  Is it entertainment, toughness or physical strength?

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2005, 07:26:29 PM »
Good point. Weather is a big factor. I've played in England in some of those conditions you describe including weather so cold that the mini-afro hair on my head appeared to be steaming the whole time and I can tell you boy the only time you really needed to do any serious running with the ball was in the offensive third of he pitch whenever u had those kinda conditions.

BTW - Its still my opinion that the EPL is the best and best marketed for 2004-2005. Its hard not to see entertainment (Arsenal in attack), defensive toughness (Chelsea) and demands on physical strength ( u dont even get a breack for christmas) in the EPL.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2005, 01:00:25 AM »
One cannot compare the performances of national teams as a guide to determine the best league.

Real madness ah jes in to de styles comparison...a strength, weakness, preference analysis based on the weather and playing conditions which dictate the style of play in de EPL and de reluctance of South Americans to go there. I am merely responding to one of Palos' point below. All of a sudden, man posting record between countries and all kinda thing.

Daz why de same South Americans does buss dey ass more often than not whenever they meet in international competition.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2005, 08:27:54 AM »
One cannot compare the performances of national teams as a guide to determine the best league.

Real madness ah jes in to de styles comparison...a strength, weakness, preference analysis based on the weather and playing conditions which dictate the style of play in de EPL and de reluctance of South Americans to go there. I am merely responding to one of Palos' point below. All of a sudden, man posting record between countries and all kinda thing.

Daz why de same South Americans does buss dey ass more often than not whenever they meet in international competition.

Cool..I understand.  I was wondering why men posting records between countries, that have nothing to do with the league.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2005, 08:41:54 AM »

La Liga fans wouldn't want Int'l records to be part of the discussion   :D

Looking at the National Teams "could" give some limited indication of the quality and style of the core players in the league.

But most of these leagues have so many players from outside yuh cah really use that too much again.  In the past maybe.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2005, 12:09:37 PM »
Remember I said the best league not the best team from, top too bottom England have strong teams which make there league a very strong league.
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2005, 02:53:18 PM »
Remember I said the best league not the best team from, top too bottom England have strong teams which make there league a very strong league.

Like who?

Norwich?
Crystal Palace?Southampton?
Blackburn?
Portsmouth?
Tottenham?xbr />Charlton?
Middlesborough?

Steupes......allyuh does talk jes fuh talkin sak4 wee.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2005, 03:07:37 PM »
Palos I agree.  This past season I have seen a lot of league football in germany,italy, spain, england. There are 2 teams in england that play very good, attacking football, they are chelsea and arsenal. liverpool and man utd are next in line(good but not really attacking/attractive).  At a lesser extent, everton played good ball at home. So from top to bottom, the english league is not all that great.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
Palos I talking shit Norwich beat ManU, Middlesboro did very well UEFA competition Portsmouth beat them as well I am just saying they have strong teams   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2005, 04:38:58 PM »
T&T did beat Mexico too.  Waz yuh point???   ;D

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is English Football really as good as they say?
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
I beg to differ,when I look at the quality of some premiership games against games played in the serie a,bundesliga,french and spanish leagues there's no way the premiership should be the number one.

I'm constantly in amazement of men at that level who can't even control ah pass to there feet or poor finishing when attacking,can't make proper passing,shooting skills are non existent for most teams,with some exceptions like man-u,arsenal,liverpool and chelsea,but if you were to look at even the low level leagues in italy,spain,france,germany or even brazil,the quality is much more entertainment and forget the serie a or bundesliga everybody they could play ball and shoot....

So I would conclude by saying the english league is overrated.           

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
say wuh allyuh want,de best league is de eddie hart league.i was borse. :rotfl:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
La liga
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 06:53:17 AM »
England
Spain
Germany
Italy
France
Holland

the thing about this order...Germany league the bundesliga...fell off big time..now the La Liga is on the up and up

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »
Good point. Weather is a big factor. I've played in England in some of those conditions you describe including weather so cold that the mini-afro hair on my head appeared to be steaming the whole time and I can tell you boy the only time you really needed to do any serious running with the ball was in the offensive third of he pitch whenever u had those kinda conditions.

BTW - Its still my opinion that the EPL is the best and best marketed for 2004-2005. Its hard not to see entertainment (Arsenal in attack), defensive toughness (Chelsea) and demands on physical strength ( u dont even get a breack for christmas) in the EPL.

The average temperatures in winter in London and Milan are the same. The main difference I suspect is the wind speed in England .
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
Why was this thread dug up?

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>