June 15, 2024, 06:17:18 PM

Author Topic: Only one T&T hospital equipped to deal with snake bite?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Only one T&T hospital equipped to deal with snake bite?
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161449241

Some of the comments underneath were serious.  What if I get bite in Tobago?  A next one say, tell de snake doh bite meh in Siparia.   :rotfl:  Is serious but I have to laugh.  Oh my T&T, what next?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Only one T&T hospital equipped to deal with snake bite?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »
In Grande they win an award couple yrs ago for developin d system 2 deal wit snake bite. So y d info eh share wit d other hospitals.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161449241

Some of the comments underneath were serious.  What if I get bite in Tobago?  A next one say, tell de snake doh bite meh in Siparia.   :rotfl:  Is serious but I have to laugh.  Oh my T&T, what next?

well Tobago ah NO, as in NO poisonous snakes.  So if he is bitten in Tobago is probably jes a mampee

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Is years now men going to the clinic for snake bite, all of a sudden only one hospital could deal with snake bite.........talk.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
another thing these so-called experts talking shit in the comments that Coral snakes have no fangs..what a load ah cock...fossorial snakes such as coral snakes stay underground for long periods but too mcuh rain or breeding season adn they will emerge.   Coral snakes take a long time to envenom a person because dey mouth and fangs small so dey does hold on tuh yuh.

In many places in the US you need to go to a tertiary level hospital to get anti venom, having that in one hospital in T&T is acceptable, once yuh seek care immediately yuh should be ok, yuh have hours even up to 20 to get help from a coral snake bite.

The other 3 types ah posionous snakes in T&T all give you a window of time for treatment about 4-5 hours.  Trinidad eh dat big

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »
So if he is bitten in Tobago is probably jes a mampee   :rotfl:

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »
Trinidad eh dat big

With traffic now?  T&T looking big oui.  I saw a show on TV and it have people leg swell till it bust after a few hours.  It wasn't pretty. 

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:27 AM »
they cud hire capo.. ent he like to suck till he get juice. Plus he juss say he had to fire heself from he wuk.

he sucking till that orchard pack collapse.

new trini superhero.. suckaman! Ah sure woman and "men" will go trouble snake for spite.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »
they cud hire capo.. ent he like to suck till he get juice. Plus he juss say he had to fire heself from he wuk.

he sucking till that orchard pack collapse.

new trini superhero.. suckaman! Ah sure woman and "men" will go trouble snake for spite.

depends on de sex of de bite victim and location of the said bite. ;D
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
allyuh need to stop killing and eating these

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Is there some kind of problem that we need to have more than one hospital equipped to deal with snake bites?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »
Is there some kind of problem that we need to have more than one hospital equipped to deal with snake bites?

D peeps in Grande just develop a protocol. I eh tink if a snake bite yuh in Pt yuh go dead if dey take yuh Point or Sando Hospital
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
The situation really isn't as ridiculous or unusual as people making it seem, not all hospitals stock the serum... even outside TnT.  Anti-venin is expensive from what I know (whatever ah see on TV) and so it's usually situated in places where it's most likely to be needed.  Often times you'd see snakebite victims (on TV) transported miles away to where they could get the serum... or the serum is flown in from elsewhere.  Elan.. I hardly doubt clinics/hospitals can't treat snakebites... poisonous snake bites is something else.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »
The situation really isn't as ridiculous or unusual as people making it seem, not all hospitals stock the serum... even outside TnT.  Anti-venin is expensive from what I know (whatever ah see on TV) and so it's usually situated in places where it's most likely to be needed.  Often times you'd see snakebite victims (on TV) transported miles away to where they could get the serum... or the serum is flown in from elsewhere.  Elan.. I hardly doubt clinics/hospitals can't treat snakebites... poisonous snake bites is something else.

Watch meh check meh neighbour, he have a mix...is dead scopion, centipede, spider, snake and some type of root in ah bottle with rum, the thing bitter (worse than the mampee in bago  ;D ) but it does wuk for then kind ah snake and scorpion bite.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »

Watch meh check meh neighbour, he have a mix...is dead scopion, centipede, spider, snake and some type of root in ah bottle with rum, the thing bitter (worse than the mampee in bago  ;D ) but it does wuk for then kind ah snake and scorpion bite.

Lol... how about mih mother used tuh have ah bottle ah sumting wid ah scorpion inside it  :rotfl:

Me eh know what dat was for or what happened tuh it... but ah pray tuh god it wasn't fuh we tuh drink.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »
I hear if ah mapapee zananna or the balsyne bite yuh , is only 30 mins yuh have tuh treat it with anti venom! told to me when i was ah yuteman by ah hunter from paramin, this fella and he wife used tuh sell chives and shadow benni in the market.

i used to go there with my mother on saturdays and this hunter used to sell deer and lapp meat to special clients, he would always tell meh bout all the critters that he would encounter on his hunting expeditions!

well i confused as hek now, some say hrs , this hunter say mins, hrs sound much better than mins, but i rather the truth than false comfort.                   positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »

My cousin have ah bottle ah dat too...nasty looking thing!!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
I hear if ah mapapee zananna or the balsyne bite yuh , is only 30 mins yuh have tuh treat it with anti venom! told to me when i was ah yuteman by ah hunter from paramin, this fella and he wife used tuh sell chives and shadow benni in the market.

i used to go there with my mother on saturdays and this hunter used to sell deer and lapp meat to special clients, he would always tell meh bout all the critters that he would encounter on his hunting expeditions!

well i confused as hek now, some say hrs , this hunter say mins, hrs sound much better than mins, but i rather the truth than false comfort.                   positive.

It would be wise to research it if you going where snake could bite you. I've never heard of any snake in this country that had such a fast acting venom, but I am no expert.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:29 PM »

It would be wise to research it if you going where snake could bite you. I've never heard of any snake in this country that had such a fast acting venom, but I am no expert.

I eh know in terms of minutes, but de mapepire, whose proper name is fer-de-lance, supposedly has one of the world's fastest acting venoms.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »
Thrombotic stroke following snake bites by the “Fer-de-Lance” Bothrops lanceolatus in Martinique despite antivenom treatment: A report of three recent cases
Purchase the full-text article

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

L. Thomasa, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, N. Chaussonb, J. Uzana, S. Kaidomara, R. Vignesa, Y. Plumellec, B. Bucherd and D. Smadjab

aService des urgencies, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Hôpital Pierre Zobda-Quitman, F-97200, Fort-de-France, Martinique

bService de neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Hôpital Pierre Zobda-Quitman, F-97200, Fort-de-France, Martinique

cLaboratoire d’hématologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Hôpital Pierre Zobda-Quitman, F-97200, Fort-de-France, Martinique

dLaboratoire de biochimie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Hôpital Pierre Zobda-Quitman, F-97200, Fort-de-France, Martinique

Received 14 December 2005;
revised 1 April 2006;
accepted 11 April 2006.
Available online 28 April 2006.

Abstract

Backgrounds: The severity of envenoming from Bothrops lanceolatus is determined by the development of cerebral, myocardial or pulmonary infarctions, and occasionnaly by serious local envenoming. Introduction of specific antivenom has resulted in a dramatic improvement in the prognosis of this envenoming. Against this background, we report 3 recent cases of patients bitten by B. lanceolatus who developed cerebral infarctions despite early administration of antivenom.

Methods: In 1991 a protocol was designed to apply the same evaluation and treatment to all envenomed patients. The clinical results have been continuously monitored.

Results: Between April 1993 and July 2003, 128 envenomed patients (age 6–83 (mean 45) years) were treated. No coagulopathy, thrombotic complication or death occurred in patients who were given early antivenom therapy—up to 6 h following the bite—and 126 patients recovered. Between August 2003 and October 2004, 10 additional patients (18–66 (mean 46) years) were given antivenom at the time of admission at hospital. Of these, 3 developed cerebral infarctions within 24 h. Effectiveness of antivenom was tested on mouse, and found to be lower than specified by the manufacturer.

Discussion: Our data shows that recently the antivenom may have lost some of its efficacy. Possible mechanisms include variability in venom composition or loss of activity of the antibodies produced more than 15 years ago. The question is whether we should attempt to produce improved antivenom. This could include activity against the venom of Bothrops caribbaeus from the neighbouring island of St Lucia, which shares a monophyletic group with B. lanceolatus and whose venom produces a similar thrombotic syndrome.

Conclusion: Prevention of systemic vessels thrombosis remains the main therapeutic challenge of B. lanceolatus envenoming in Martinique.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
this thread remind me of this ole joke

One day the Lone Ranger was out in the woods taking a pee, when suddenly a rattlesnake came out of the bushes and bit him on his dick. He gave a loud yell, and Tonto came running to his side.

"What has happened Kimo Sabi?"

"A snake bit me on my dick Tonto, your gonna have to go find a doctor and ask what to do."

Tonto left his friend to find help. Soon he came upon a town, and found the local doctor.

"Help! Kimo Sabi has been bitten by a rattlesnake! What should I do?"

The doctor replied: "Well, you will have to suck the poison from the wound, then bandage it up."

"Thank you doctor!" Tonto replied while running back out the door. He ran for a while until he found the Lone Ranger lying on the ground.

"Well, what did he say Tonto?" asked the ranger.

Tonto again looked at the wound, and then looked at the Lone Ranger and said, "He said your gonna die Kimo Sabi!"
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>