June 04, 2024, 09:05:18 PM

Author Topic: U-19 cricketer dies after auto crash  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U-19 cricketer dies after auto crash
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
U-19 cricketer dies after auto crash
T&T Newsday

FORMER national Under-19 cricketer Dion Bennett died yesterday morning, seven days after being injured in a vehicular accident in Freeport.

Bennett who played for Clarke Road United, was warded at the San Fernando General Hospital and listed in stable condition on Wednesday but took a turn for the worse yesterday and passed away at approximately 6 am.

Bennett was part of the very impressive national under-19 team in 2003 that completed the double in Guyana, winning the Four-day and One-Day titles.

That team included Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul and Lendl Simmons. Two years later he was the established wicketkeeper/batsman in the national team alongside Kieron Pollard and Adrian Barath which captured the Under-19 crown in St Vincent.

Roland Sampath, manager of the 2003 and 2005 Under-19 teams, yesterday expressed shock at Bennett’s passing and noted that it was a great loss to TT.

“I am shattered because I am associated with Clarke Road United and he even toured Toronto with us in July/August this year.

“He was a very cheerful, jovial fellow. He’s an entertainer...it’s sad to lose such a young man,” he said.

“He had a lot of ability and had a good head on his shoulders. He was a really nice guy,” Sampath said.

Clarke Road president, Baldath Mahabir was also saddened on hearing of the tragic news.

“It’s unfortunate to have life snuffed out so early. He just completed a tour to Canada and we had a very enjoyable time. We didn’t know it was the last time he would be with us,” he said.

Mahabir described Bennett as a very ambitious young man and an infectious hearty person.

He revealed that Bennett had attained a COSTAAT scholarship and was on his way to completing a degree there.

The Clarke Road boss said since Bennett joined his club one year ago, he has been the life of whatever was going on around him but always managed to maintain his discipline.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-19 cricketer dies after auto crash
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
RIP
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Barath exends condolences
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
Barath extends condolences

Sunday, October 24 2010

West Indies opening batsman, Adrian Barath extended his condolences to the family of national Under-19 cricketer Dion Bennett who died on Friday morning, seven days after being injured in a vehicular accident in Freeport.

Bennett who played for First Citizens Clarke Road was warded at the San Fernando General Hospital and listed in stable condition on Wednesday and took a turn for the worse before passing away at 6pm on Friday.

“I would like to offer my condolences to the Bennett family” said Barath yesterday.

The stylish right-hand opening batsman attended Presentation College, Chaguanas with Bennett where they were teammates as well as on the national Under-19 team and with First Citizens Clarke Road.

“Dion was one of my best teammates and he will be missed. He was funny, talented and he would take the game seriously” added Barath.

The Trinidad and Tobago player felt that Bennett would have featured in Twenty20 cricket for the national team.

“He would have definitely reached far in the limited overs form of the games especially in the era of Twenty20 cricket. He was an attacking batsman who would get on top of the bowling attack and dominate them.

“It is unfortunate that Dion did not have the chance to fulfil his potential in this area” said Barath.

He added “I know the selectors were having a look at him for the Twenty20 version and the fact that he was a good wicketkeeper made him an ideal player for the national team.”

The King’s XI Punjab player said that he was not able to spend much time with Bennett due to his various cricketing commitments but remained close.

“He was an outspoken player who would tell you what he thought. Dion was one of the better players I played with and he will always be remembered” said Barath.

Bennett was part of the national Under-19 that did the double at the TCL Group West Indies Championships in 2003 and 2005.

He was also an outstanding player for Central Sports before moving on to First Citizens Clarke Road.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>