June 16, 2024, 12:09:53 AM

Author Topic: Sprinting Tips From The World's Fastest Man  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Sprinting Tips From The World's Fastest Man
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2011-09/15/gq-sport-usain-bolt-running-tips-interview/intro

Usain Bolt's running tips!
By Jason Henderson (GQ Magazine)

Usain Bolt is the fastest man in history. This month saw him win the 200m title at the athletics World Championships where, in 2009, he set the existing world record for the 100m.
In honour of that mark, these are his ten tips on how to run like the wind...

1. Start like I say, not as I do

"It's very important to get out of the blocks quickly, although I'm usually left in the blocks a bit," says Bolt, who, at 6'5", is tall for a sprinter and admits the first part of a 100-metre or 200-metre race is not his strongest element. "So I work a lot on starting well and then, after that, when I get into my stride, I just let everything flow."

2. Don't rush to 'run tall'

To get to your top speed, the Jamaican sprinter suggests leaning forward out of the blocks and holding your drive phase for 30 metres before coming up gradually. "If you pop up and try to start running too soon, you really have to work to get to top speed," he says. This is because all the forward energy that has been gained from pushing out of the blocks will go upwards as opposed to the direction you want it to go in - towards the finish line.

3. You need power for the glory

"My favourite exercise in the weights room is the clean," says Bolt, who sees weight training as a necessary evil. From a standing position, with legs shoulder-width apart, he lifts the barbell in a continuous movement from feet to chest. "I'm not really that good at lifting weights," Bolt admits. "A lot of people can bench-press 250kg, for example, whereas I probably bench 140kg. I just go heavy enough to develop the muscles. What really matters is what you do out on the track."

4. A strong core helps you score

"I work on this a lot - it's vitally important," he says. "I do a few exercises on my core in training, but in addition three times per week at home I do one hour strictly on abs and back work - a variety of lots of exercises." His goal is not necessarily to help his sprinting, either...

"I do it mainly because it makes my six-pack look pretty good! I can't really complain about it."

5. It's a sprint, not a marathon

Bolt reveals he rarely runs farther than one lap of the track. "I don't really do any cardio in training," he says, preferring to focus on quality over quantity. "It's hot anyway in Jamaica, so we burn a lot of calories when training. Even just warming up I would be sweating hard." Even so, his longest run is surprisingly short.

"This season, probably 350 metres. A couple of times I have run 600 metres in the past, but that's as far as I've ever been."

6. You need nature, as well as nurture

In the same way that East Africans dominate distance running, athletes from the Caribbean and West Africa tend to be good sprinters. Jamaica has a population of just 2.7 million, but dominates sprinting. Scientists believe this is partly because the "speed protein", Actinen A, is more prominent in Jamaicans' fast-twitch muscles. Bolt has his own theory. "I think what makes Jamaica different is [a legacy of] slavery... the genes are really strong."

7. Eat like a champion

Despite famously eating chicken nuggets before one of his races at the Beijing Olympics, Bolt's junk-food diet is a bit of a myth. He explains: "When I'm travelling overseas, if the food is not so good I might end up in Burger King or McDonald's occasionally. But I have a chef now who gives me everything I need." Bolt consumes lots of chicken, pork, fish and yams - a good source of carbohydrates and a Jamaican staple. "Every now and again I go for fast food, but 90 per cent of my diet is good."

8. Enlist a coach with the most

Glen Mills has coached Bolt since after the 2004 Olympics. "Having a good coach is important and I owe much of my success to him," says the athlete. Something of a father figure to the 24-year-old Bolt, Mills' background includes more than 20 years as head coach of the Jamaican Olympic athletics squad.

"He is a guiding light in my career and has shown me the way to improve myself both as a person and as an athlete," says Bolt.

9. Don't worry, be happy

Bolt says it is in his nature to remain cool before races, but he also makes a point of creating lots of downtime. "It's just my personality to be so relaxed," he says. "The majority of the time I'm chillin'. I'm always with friends and laughing - that's just me. If I'm not doing that then I'm playing video games and still relaxing." Bolt stays loose during his races, too. "The more relaxed you are, the smoother and faster you'll run. Your muscles get tight when you tense up."

10. Believe, and you can achieve...

Bolt's world records astounded athletics experts, but the Jamaican believes he can run even faster. After that he wants to play football for Manchester United, telling GQ he could have made a difference in this year's Champions League final.

"I was shouting to Alex Ferguson to bring me on as a substitute," he says. "But he didn't hear me."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:24:08 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sprinting Tips From The World's Fastest Man
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
That guy is so funny and full of life.  Great personality!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
Here I was looking for advice from Yohan Blake!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
Here I was looking for advice from Yohan Blake!

Don't get carried away now!! Bolt plans to run the fastest time for the year this evening in Brussels and don’t forget he is the still the world record holder with his 9.58 from Berlin, Germany 2 years ago!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
You don;t get carried away!  Bolt eh run shit this year compared to Yohan..who is and rightly so, the Number one rated and ranked 100m man in the world this year, and a world championship year too!

SO he is the fastest man NOW!  Until Bolt beat them times..is so it is!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
You don;t get carried away!  Bolt eh run shit this year compared to Yohan..who is and rightly so, the Number one rated and ranked 100m man in the world this year, and a world championship year too!

SO he is the fastest man NOW!  Until Bolt beat them times..is so it is!

Bolt plans to have the fastest time in the world this year after the 100m finals in Brussels this evening, he said it so let’s wait and see!  ;)

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:06 AM »
Yeah we will see....a 9.93 most likely...lol

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
Yeah we will see....a 9.93 most likely...lol

Bolt just ran a 9.85 with almost no wind and a slow start in his first race since World's earlier this week!
If the wind conditions are right and he gets a decent start he will run a 9.7x this evening, mark my words!!
He will not allow his colleague Blake to outshine him at that meet this evening if he can help it!!

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
If he can help it...BIG IF!  even if he does win, he still cannot be ranked 1 in world

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
If he can help it...BIG IF!  even if he does win, he still cannot be ranked 1 in world

Being ranked no.1 in the world rankings and actually being the world's fastest man are two different things entirely; I am sure being a knowledgeable T&F fan that you are intelligent enough to know that!
Rankings don’t win you races, your feet do!! 8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:31:49 AM by Socapro »

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:59 AM »
 if you don't win you are not going to be ranked number 1..how is that?  yuh want the world.champ to be ranked below the false starter?

And just who is the world's fastest this year?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
if you don't win you are not going to be ranked number 1..how is that?  yuh want the world.champ to be ranked below the false starter?

And just who is the world's fastest this year?

The world's fastest man this year is still Powell but all that changes after the 100m race this evening if conditions are right! And please note I do not care too much about rankings, what I care about is reality!!

TC, lets continue this argument after Bolt runs this evening and please doh run and hide after the race eh!

Ah want you to be logged on right here to take back yuh talk!!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:06:11 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
TC yuh sounding like them americans back in 96, who kept pushing MJ as the world's fastest man, while Bailey was the WR holder.

Powell is still the fastest man on the clock his year. It is expected to be around 16-17 degrees by the time Bolt runs, so he will have to hope for a good tailwind or really nailing his start to best Asafa's 9.78

P.S. being number one is not only about the titles, running fast and beating your opponents also factors into the ranking. that is why Asafa was #1 in 2004 even though he did not medal at the olympics and had he beaten Blake in Zurich, he would have most likely been the number one ranked sprinter again this year.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
TC yuh sounding like them americans back in 96, who kept pushing MJ as the world's fastest man, while Bailey was the WR holder.

Powell is still the fastest man on the clock his year. It is expected to be around 16-17 degrees by the time Bolt runs, so he will have to hope for a good tailwind or really nailing his start to best Asafa's 9.78

P.S. being number one is not only about the titles, running fast and beating your opponents also factors into the ranking. that is why Asafa was #1 in 2004 even though he did not medal at the olympics and had he beaten Blake in Zurich, he would have most likely been the number one ranked sprinter again this year.

I am sounding like the facts are my backing.  Yohan is the man this year..yuh disputing that?

Aviator let me ash yuh something...in nay sport they have they championships right?

And the winner of that series or game is the cham right?

In basketball if yuh beat me whole year and den lose to me in the finals...who is d echamp?

Same in baseball, football, cricket, tennis and Track and Field..is de medals dat count!  Nutten else.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:37:09 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »

I am sounding like the facts are my backing.  Yohan is the man this year..yuh disputing that?

Aviator let me ash yuh something...in nay sport they have they championships right?

And the winner of that series or game is the cham right?

In basketball if yuh beat me whole year and den lose to me in the finals...who is d echamp?

Same in baseball, football, cricket, tennis and Track and Field..is de medals dat count!  Nutten else.

No disputing that Blake will be ranked number one, which he confirmed after beating Powell in Zurich. However I am not one that subscribes to the notion that world champ=world's fastest man. They are two different things. Two recent examples, is  Asafa in 2007 and  Jeter in 2009.

To answer your basketball example, look at the year 2004. Gatlin got his ass beat by Powell every single time they met, but gatlin won the important race at the Olympics. So yes Gatlin was the champ, but Powell got the number 1 ranking that year, because he prevailed in their head to head race count.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
Blake has NEVER beaten Bolt in a competitive head to head 100m race and until Blake can change the head to head stats Bolt will remain my number sprinter in the world with my money going on him everytime provided Bolt is healthy and in good shape!

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Iagree being World Champion does not make you fastest...it makes you champion...I prefer the medal to the fastest time...don't you?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
Iagree being World Champion does not make you fastest...it makes you champion...I prefer the medal to the fastest time...don't you?

Look here TC! Bolt got to the World’s 100m final more impressively and with more ease than anyone else then he false started! I had money on him winning and lost it because of that false start!

I have no doubt in my mind that had Bolt not false-started and run in the final that Blake would have celebrated winning the silver in the same way he celebrated winning gold because he knows who the real champion is!

Let’s watch both the 100m and 200m races this evening under hopefully the same conditions and then compare the 100m splits of Bolt and Blake and see what time Bolt comes up with in the 100m and what times Blakes comes up with in the 200m.

Patience my friend, let’s cut the rum-talk and wait for the bolt-run within the next 1 & 1/2 hours!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:25:11 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »

I too prefer the medal, but using Asafa as an exmple has shown that it is not the only way to cash in. He commands appearance fees that are in line with any gold medal winner out there not named Bolt. Because at the end of the day the majority of the discussion of greatness takes place on msg boards like this. When you go to a meet a you want to see a fast time, you don't care if the athlete is a champion or not and Asafa has delivered that thrill 81 times(sub-10 runs) and still looks too have quite a few left in his legs.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »

I too prefer the medal, but using Asafa as an exmple has shown that it is not the only way to cash in. He commands appearance fees that are in line with any gold medal winner out there not named Bolt. Because at the end of the day the majority of the discussion of greatness takes place on msg boards like this. When you go to a meet a you want to see a fast time, you don't care if the athlete is a champion or not and Asafa has delivered that thrill 81 times(sub-10 runs) and still looks too have quite a few left in his legs.

What is your real argument?  I see none really.

Yohan is ranked number 1 that was wlays my assertion...any argument?  If not then carry on smartly.

Bolt is not the man this year Yohan is..Last year Gay was the number one man....what is the real issue?

Bolt is usually best at 200 Yohan and Powell best at 100...last 2 years.  I am awaiting the logical dispute to that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:05:31 PM by Trinity Cross »

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
So what advice Yohan providing?

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »

What is your real argument?  I see none really.

Yohan is ranked number 1 that was wlays my assertion...any argument?  If not then carry on smartly.

Bolt is not the man this year Yohan is..Last year Gay was the number one man....what is the real issue?

Bolt is usually best at 200 Yohan and Powell best at 100...last 2 years.  I am awaiting the logical dispute to that.

Lol...I think we were both saying th same thing from different angles and he just put any dispute to rest.

1]; } ?>