June 03, 2024, 10:29:35 AM

Author Topic: TT Cricketers Get Elite Funding, can this work for T&T National Football?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Cricketers get ‘Elite’ funding

Trinidad Newsday

By Stephon Nicholas Thursday, February 17 2011

National captain Daren Ganga, West Indies women’s vice-captain Anisa Mohammed and 18-year-old Yannic Cariah are among the 33 cricketers to be included in the inaugural Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP).

The announcement was made yesterday at a press conference held at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

The cricketers have been classed into four groups including the Senior Elite ($120,000 per year), Elite ($92,000 per year), Women ($72,000) and Youth ($72,000).

Dinanath Ramnarine, president of the West Indies Players Association (WIPA), praised the initiative and believes it is a historic occasion for the players and cricket in general.

“Today is a very historic day in Trinidad and Tobago cricket, indeed West Indies cricket. The players are finally put in the forefront by being given the necessary support and more importantly the financial security that is so desperately needed at this time,” he said.

“We all applaud this initiative as I can see this being a motivating factor for not only the recipients that benefit at this time but for those who can follow,” he added.

Ramnarine urged the athletes to use the EAAP as “an incentive to train hard, play hard and excel in the game you love”.

Meanwhile, Minister of Sport Anil Roberts revealed that the players were chosen using a very stringent system with the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) and West Indies Players Association (WIPA) submitting their recommendations.

“It’s a fluid system...which means you could be in one year and out the next,” he said.

He revealed that Ronald Rogers has been appointed as trainer and will submit periodical reports on the progress of each athlete.

In addition to the quarterly payments to the athletes, WIPA has been charged with the responsibility of administering an annual development fund of $500,000 which will go towards the professional and personal development needs of the athletes.

Ramnarine revealed that this money will go towards hosting financial, etiquette, and educational and other seminars to boost the all-round development of the players.

He noted the EAAP will provide the security that will allow players to make their passion become their profession but called on all stakeholders to support them.

The former West Indies spinner praised the Minister of Sport for his assistance and “putting his money where his mouth is”.

Ramnarine reminded the players, however, that the onus is on them to show they deserve to be part of the funding programme.

“To our players, you have an immense opportunity here to spend your time and the rest of your career dedicated to the game you love. You must perform. You must push yourself beyond your limits. The funding is available to you only if you seek to be the best,” he declared.

Ramnarine noted that WIPA will be responsible for ensuring the players who are supported through the EAAP go back into the communities to assist others.

Ramnarine hailed Ganga’s role in getting cricketers to be among the funded athletes and described him as a true leader.

“It would be remiss of me if I did not recognise the role of Daren Ganga our Sports Ambassador. Daren has not only led on the field but has done so selflessly off the field,” he said.

Players selected:

SENIOR ELITE ($120,000 annually) - Daren Ganga, Denesh Ramdin, Dave Mohammed and Lendl Simmons.

ELITE ($92,000 annually) - Rayad Emrit, Sherwin Ganga, Richard Kelly, Jason Mohammed, Shannon Gabriel, Sunil Narine, Kevon Cooper, Samuel Badree, Navin Stewart, Runako Morton, Amit Jaggernauth, William Perkins, Gibran Mohammed, Justin Guillen, Imran Khan and Atiba Allert.

WOMEN ($72,000 annually) - Anisa Mohammed, Alisa Mohammed, Stacey Ann King, Gaitri Seetahal, Britney Cooper, Melissa Aguilera and Kirbyna Alexander.

YOUTH ($72,000 annually) - Yannic Cariah, Yannick Ottley, Nicholas Lewis, Stephen Katwaroo, Daniel St Clair and Kieron Joseph.

RESERVES - Aneil Kanhai, Emile Rajah, Shervon Penco, Akeil Cooper, Tishan Maraj, Nicholas Sookdeosingh, Kaveshy Kantasingh, Marlon Richards, Kjorn Ottley, Magnum Nanan, Evin Lewis and Derone Davis.

Can this work for our national football team as well, having a core unit of locals under a yearly salary and playing for the national team year round?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:20:06 PM by Controversial »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: TT Cricketers Get Elite Funding, can this work for T&T National Football?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
The TTFF got the money. They just make a choice not to pay the players.  ;D

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
Nice man...Good to see the Gangas, Ramdins and Mohammeds getting funding from the new gov't.
Hopefully they won't waste it like the Whitleys and Theobalds.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »
No. as long as jack there, it eh go wuk!!!!!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
Nice man...Good to see the Gangas, Ramdins and Mohammeds getting funding from the new gov't.

What we say,come on now,like Anil doing a good job or what,he putting money where his big mouth is,isn't that what you all want,let me hear yu.Football just have to put their house in order,way to go.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »

they are not the only ones getting money, its the whole squad and reserves and youths, not to mention the ladies as well.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »

What we say,come on now,like Anil doing a good job or what,he putting money where his big mouth is,isn't that what you all want,let me hear yu.Football just have to put their house in order,way to go.

people don't realize the ttcb have a well organized and structured board and youth academy.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »

people don't realize the ttcb have a well organized and structured board and youth academy.

But do they have a dictator like jack running the show. how many presidents have the TTCCB has had over the past 30 yrs. how many has the TTFF had.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »

But do they have a dictator like jack running the show. how many presidents have the TTCCB has had over the past 30 yrs. how many has the TTFF had.

good points, but there is ways to work with the existing admin, the problem is, no investors seems willing to do so.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
You give them wrong?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
First of all, well done to WIPA and the guys for getting this money. Hopefully it will help improve T&Ts fortunes.

Now, to play devils advocate.....

I'm presuming that cricket players are amateurs? So, presumably they have jobs at the moment and just get paid for T&T & WI games?

Now, again, presumably, they will train full time?

So, in essence, cricket is not well organised as people here suggest. Why is there no professional league? Is it because no business wants to sponsor them?

So what we have is football trying its hardest to run a professional league and struggling, while cricket hasn't bothered and gets handouts?

To my knowledge, the highest paid ProLeague player earns approx $9,000. Many earn less than $6,000 and youthmen can start at $3,000 or less. So a youth or lady cricket player can earn as much as a guy on the fringe of the national football team?

I believe SPORTT actually made a contribution to some ProLeague teams in the past, but I think this may not continue.

I don't begrudge the cricket players the money, but I do believe that the payments are maybe a little high.  I do hope Anil comes up with something innovativbe to help professional football improve. I know several very talented footballers who play for WASA &  T&TEC purely because they have job security. They have said that if the could earn better money, they would continue to play in Pro League.

Unfortunately, we have to offer players more so that we can improve the quality of the league.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
First of all, well done to WIPA and the guys for getting this money. Hopefully it will help improve T&Ts fortunes.

Now, to play devils advocate.....

I'm presuming that cricket players are amateurs? So, presumably they have jobs at the moment and just get paid for T&T & WI games?

Now, again, presumably, they will train full time?

So, in essence, cricket is not well organised as people here suggest. Why is there no professional league? Is it because no business wants to sponsor them?

So what we have is football trying its hardest to run a professional league and struggling, while cricket hasn't bothered and gets handouts?

To my knowledge, the highest paid ProLeague player earns approx $9,000. Many earn less than $6,000 and youthmen can start at $3,000 or less. So a youth or lady cricket player can earn as much as a guy on the fringe of the national football team?

I believe SPORTT actually made a contribution to some ProLeague teams in the past, but I think this may not continue.

I don't begrudge the cricket players the money, but I do believe that the payments are maybe a little high.  I do hope Anil comes up with something innovativbe to help professional football improve. I know several very talented footballers who play for WASA &  T&TEC purely because they have job security. They have said that if the could earn better money, they would continue to play in Pro League.

Unfortunately, we have to offer players more so that we can improve the quality of the league.

club cricket is sponsored in trinidad and tobago and is at a very high level of training and management.

They are not paid full time, so they have to take another job, this new program eliminates them from doing this and allows them to concentrate on cricket fully.

the way trinidad and tobago has been producing world class cricketers on the world stage in the last 5 years, the program is warranted.

i remember sitting with the right hand man for the pro league many years ago with a few very promising proposals for the pro league and they basically did not follow through.

the salaries are low also in the super league and they have some really talented players there as well. what is needed is a new head for the pro league and super league, merging both to a relegation system and sponsors.

because right now you have super league players working another job or jobs and can't concentrate on football.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:52:08 PM by Controversial »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »
what is needed is a new head for the pro league and super league, merging both to a relegation system and sponsors.

The whole idead is for sponsor to put money in football. sponsor know jack style over 30 yrs. if they are so enamoured with jack and ttff why don't they just step forward and take the bull by the horns. As soon as the team reach WC all ah dem want to jump on the bandwagon. even cricket has its waggonist too. jack must go first. 30 f---king yrs people.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
Controversial, I hear yuh. But Super League is Jacks baby. He would never combine without total control.

I think maybe Dexters worry is that if he takes on someone who does well, he will feel his job is threatened. I notice this a lot in T&T. People so afraid of losing their status, they don't employ good people to support them. But the smart move is to appoint the best people and take all the credit.
A marketing expert won't necessarily be able to run the ProLeague. If Dexter appointed such an expert, people will think he's smart as he made the appointment, and he approved all of the projects. Just don't think he sees this!!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »
We doh even know who our national football team is anyway so it would be hard to give them money. Besides, all of them playing with "pro-teams" already. Club cricket still amateur so the players in a greater need.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 01:26:53 AM »
We doh even know who our national football team is anyway so it would be hard to give them money. Besides, all of them playing with "pro-teams" already. Club cricket still amateur so the players in a greater need.

amateur?  ???

these guys are some of the best in the world straight from club cricket breds, how can you classify them as amateur? bottom line is, our cricketers are performing at a higher level than our footballers and will be paid well because they have been making an impact internationally.

1]; } ?>