June 05, 2024, 09:05:45 AM

Author Topic: Can Ronaldo make a return to the Brazilian national team?  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Can Ronaldo make a return to the Brazilian national team?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

But he wasn't quite as skillful as ronaldinho... Kicker bounce he head there.

I was just talking about dribbling/taking on players (I termed it individual flair)- At R9's best he was in the same class as R10 in that dept.  Check the old footage...the man used to have defenders break dancing.  Who was actually better than whom would be splitting hairs...they were on the same level.

Overall skill (passing, playmaking, freekicks/dead balls etc..) yeah I think R10 was more complete as his withdrawn position called for it...

Dinho is something else, but everytime I hear Brazil and R10 I automatically think Rivaldo...for me, he was the last best #10 for Brazil and one of the very best

Ronaldo at his redemptive peak (2002 WC) might not have gotten as many goals as he did were it not for some kind of Rivaldo magic e.g. the curling long pass vs Turkey (1st game) or the dummy vs Germany - brilliance man

I personally don't like to compare Ronaldo and Rivaldo...but at Madrid, among the rest of galacticos...Ronaldo was first among equals

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
I personally like the guy. He and Romario are the closet thing to Pele when it comes to the striker position. Diego, Zico, Cruyff, Dino are all mid-field forwards(play makers). Ronaldo is an all out striker and one of the best that ever played the game. He was no hit-man striker. he could dribble with the best. Whatever health problems he is battling, he should see about that first rather than listen to all the prognosticators.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
Dunga omits Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.
FIFA.COM

Dunga has left Ronaldinho and Ronaldo out of his squad for Brazil's upcoming 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifiers and the FIFA Confederations Cup, which will begin on 14 June. Thiago Silva and Adriano also missed out on places as the Seleção coach included four players in his squad for the first time - namely goalkeeper Victor, wingback Andre Santos, midfielder Ramires and forward Nilmar - alongside first-choice players such as Julio Cesar, Juan, Lucio, Kaka, Robinho and Luis Fabiano.

O Fenômeno, who has scored 62 goals in 97 appearances for the country he inspired to Korea/Japan 2002 glory, has excelled for Corinthians since the turn of the year, although doubts have persisted over his capacity to remain free from injury. "Ronaldo is returning from an injury. I don't even think he would feel comfortable in the national team right now," explained Dunga. "He only wants to be called up when he is ready."

Ronaldo is returning from an injury. I don't even think he would feel comfortable in the national team right now.
Brazil coach Dunga

The three-time FIFA World Player of the Year concurred, although he remains determined to represent Brazil at South Africa 2010. "I'm not prepared," Ronaldo said shortly before the 23-player squad was announced. "In my opinion, this is not the right moment for me to be in the national team, especially after these last three matches in which I had some injury problems."

Form - and not fitness - was what cost Ronaldinho his place in the squad. "We've stuck to our guns and picked players who are doing well at club level," said Dunga. "We have to use common sense to do the best for Brazil. Ronaldinho is going through a difficult period. He needs to play more.

"Hopefully next season he will receive more playing time and rediscover the form that we all know he can. I'm going to do everything possible to help him recover. I have confidence in him, he's a special player. He's having a bad time but I hope he can get over this.

Brazil are currently second in South American Zone qualifying for South Africa 2010, three points behind Paraguay and four clear of fifth-placed Uruguay. The top four will reach the tournament automatically, while the team that finishes fifth will play off against a North, Central America & Caribbean representative for a berth at the 19th edition of the FIFA World Cup.

A Seleção will take on Uruguay in Montevideo on 6 June, before hosting the group leaders four days later in Recife. Then, one day later, they will travel to South Africa ahead of the defence of their FIFA Confederations Cup crown. Brazil have been drawn in Group B alongside USA, Italy and Egypt.

Delight for Brazil-based quintet
With Doni out injured, Tottenham Hotspur's Gomes and Victor of Gremio will deputise for Julio Cesar. The former has come into his own of late after an arduous start to life in the English Premier League, while the latter, 26, was named as the best goalkeeper in the Brasileirao 2008 at the CBF-Rede Globo end-of-season awards.

"I feel for Doni and hope he recovers quickly," said Gomes. "But I'm not sure this was the reason I was called up. I'm in a great phase and when you've been playing well, you always hope for a call-up.

Andre Santos, also 26, has made waves since joining Corinthians in 2008. An exhilarating, prolific left-wingback, he will now rival another of the five Brazil-based players in the squad, Internacional's Kleber, for a place in Dunga's starting line-up.

The 22-year-old Ramires, a midfielder who excels defensively and offensively in equal measure, is one of the hottest properties in South American football and has been central to Cruzeiro's run into the quarter-finals of this year's Copa Libertadores. Nilmar, for his part, has been turning it on for Internacional and recently scored a breathtaking winner, following an improbable dribble past five opponents, in their win at Corinthians in the Brasileirao.

Brazil squad

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Gomes (Tottenham Hotspur), Victor (Gremio)

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Kleber (Internacional), Andre Santos (Corinthians), Alex (Chelsea), Juan (Roma), Lucio (Bayern Munich), Luisao (Benfica)

Midfielders: Anderson (Manchester United), Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Josue (Wolfsburg), Ramires (Cruzeiro), Elano (Manchester City), Felipe Melo (Fiorentina), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kaka (AC Milan)

Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Internacional), Robinho (Manchester City)
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
nilmar...yes. dis youth could ball

I recall he was Brazil top striker the last time they won the Under 20 WC, but was also part of the underacheiving Olympic side that failed to qualify for Athens.

Just as he was making a name for himself at Lyon, he went for the big money and joined Tevez and co. at Corinthians and he and the Argie real destroy. I think he wrecked his knee and I thought that was it for him. But last year I see the man getting on for Internacional and teams in Europe start to call for him again.

This fella real good. I reckon he and Pato are Brazil's future strike force.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/170224/

FOREIGN VIEW: Ronaldo, the larger one, has caused a bit of a stir over in Brazil since his return to South America. Not only has the Corinthians striker been banging in the goals (eight in his latest comeback), he has grabbed headlines for his involvement in several escapades, most notably a dangerous encounter with a microphone and a mad goal celebration that nearly ended in disaster.

His latest brush (read on, and you'll get the terrible pun) with infamy came at the weekend, when television cameras caught the Brazil international pulling an opponent's hair during a Brazilian championship clash with Botafogo.

"We've requested the video of the match and on Thursday I am going to analyse it and see if there was an infringement," said Paulo Schmitt, an official with Brazilian football's disciplinary tribunal.

"I've never seen hair pulling in a football match," he added.

ED has. Remember Peter Crouch's tug on Trinidad defender Brent Sancho's dreadlocks to open his England account at the 2006 World Cup? Or how about Deco's less than manly pulling of Athletic Bilbao midfielder Carlos Gurpegi's hair when playing for Barcelona in January of the same year?

Ronaldo should be wary. While Crouch got away with his Hair of God moment, Deco was sent off and was slapped with a two-match ban.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 06:24:19 AM »
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/170224/

FOREIGN VIEW: Ronaldo, the larger one, has caused a bit of a stir over in Brazil since his return to South America. Not only has the Corinthians striker been banging in the goals (eight in his latest comeback), he has grabbed headlines for his involvement in several escapades, most notably a dangerous encounter with a microphone and a mad goal celebration that nearly ended in disaster.

His latest brush (read on, and you'll get the terrible pun) with infamy came at the weekend, when television cameras caught the Brazil international pulling an opponent's hair during a Brazilian championship clash with Botafogo.

"We've requested the video of the match and on Thursday I am going to analyse it and see if there was an infringement," said Paulo Schmitt, an official with Brazilian football's disciplinary tribunal.

"I've never seen hair pulling in a football match," he added.

ED has. Remember Peter Crouch's tug on Trinidad defender Brent Sancho's dreadlocks to open his England account at the 2006 World Cup? Or how about Deco's less than manly pulling of Athletic Bilbao midfielder Carlos Gurpegi's hair when playing for Barcelona in January of the same year?

Ronaldo should be wary. While Crouch got away with his Hair of God moment, Deco was sent off and was slapped with a two-match ban.

Hair of God moment
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
Dinho not making the Brazil team is real heart break.
Hopefully it means he'll get a break and act as motivation for him to work hard this off season

But Brazilians dream and highest honor is playing for the national team
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »
Nike appreciation video for the The Phenomenon.

Naimar, Pato and some others in the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRJSgCd2Ydk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SRJSgCd2Ydk</a>

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »
Nike appreciation video for the The Phenomenon.

Naimar, Pato and some others in the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRJSgCd2Ydk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SRJSgCd2Ydk</a>

Dat bad...

Best there ever was...

The one and only fenomeno. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
Definately deserves an era being named after him.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_QQ_NkJCjc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0_QQ_NkJCjc</a>
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Dem men look like they do everything to get him a goal in that Romania game...man throw away a sitter and get real jones lol...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
Dem men look like they do everything to get him a goal in that Romania game...man throw away a sitter and get real jones lol...
De man remind me ah me blasting that ball overbars back in de day yes ;D

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:56 AM »
He looks like Alvin Corneal, without Gray hair! LOL

1]; } ?>