June 09, 2024, 03:28:35 PM

Author Topic: Million dollar race: Belgrave hattrick pulls D/Force within point of Connection  (Read 1882 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Belgrave hattrick pulls D/Force within point of Connection
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Defending Digicel Pro League champion Defence Force is just three games away from the most unlikely title defence in Trinidad and Tobago’s professional era.

In a rescheduled fixture this evening at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, the “Teteron Boys” kept the pressure on current leader, DIRECTV W Connection, after a 4-0 win against Caledonia AIA. And, after seeing off the challenge of Central FC, Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier now has Defence Force coach Ross Russell breathing down his neck.

Connection and Defence Force will face each other twice on May 2 and May 6 and, for all the rancour of tonight’s Lucozade Sport Goal Shield final against bitter Couva rivals Central FC, it is those two league matches that matter most to either club.

Before kick off, a Defence Force official handed out flyers for a barbeque fund raiser for the family of late winger Kevon Carter, which will be held on 30 May 2014 at the Diego Martin Recreational Ground. It was a reminder of the grave misfortune that the army/coast guard combination has endured this season.

And yet here stand Russell’s troops, just one point behind a Connection team that once had a double digit lead over the rest of the Pro League.

This evening, Caledonia AIA was Defence Force’s ninth successive Pro League victim although, for the first hour, the regiment saw little of the ball. If anything, Keyon Edwards, Caledonia’s silky dreadlocked striker, was the game’s outstanding player with his adhesive touch and efficient distribution.

Like deadly snipers, Defence Force lay low and waited for their opportunities. Devorn Jorsling and Richard Roy were both missing so Russell pushed midfielder Josimar Belgrave upfront to the role he once held with St Ann’s Rangers. And Belgrave showed he has not lost his predatory instinct.

Three times, Belgrave collected the ball inside the Caledonia penalty area. And, three times, Caledonia goalkeeper Shemel Louison had to pick the ball out of the back of his net.

On the first occasion, Belgrave stroked through Louison’s legs in the 29th minute. In the 69th minute, he headed in from point blank range after a brilliant left side cross from Ross Russell Jr and his third was even simpler as he rolled into an empty net in the 81st minute after substitute Balondemu Julius knocked the ball around Louison.

Each goal was a tribute to his good positioning and steady nerves.

Belgrave had a hand in Defence Force’s fourth goal too albeit with a scoffed shot that midfielder Curtis Gonzales banged home despite cries of offside from Caledonia.

A win and draw in their next two games against Connection would virtually ensure that Defence Force successfully defends its league title; and it will only the fourth time that has happened—San Juan Jabloteh did it twice in 2002 and 2003 and 2007 and 2008 while Connection managed it in the 2000 and 2001 seasons.

The 2013/14 Pro League season has boiled down to a two-legged play off. And a million dollars is at stake.

(Teams)

Defence Force (4-2-3-1):
1.Kevin Graham (GK); 14.Cory Rivers (captain), 3.Keston Williams, 6.Rodell Elcock, 21.Aklie Edwards (31.Thurlani George 82); 4.Dave Long (7.Balondemu Julius 77), 8.Curtis Gonzales; 30.Akeem Roach (23.Kerry Joseph 66), 15.Jerwyn Balthazar, 17.Ross Russell Jr; 10.Josimar Belgrave.

Unused substitutes: 25.Sheldon Clarke (GK), 5.Devin Jordan, 13.Marvin Jones, 18.Sean Narcis.

Coach: Ross Russell

Caledonia AIA (4-4-2): 1.Shemel Louison (GK); 2.Jabari Braithwaite (18.Denron Frederick 75), 3.Nuru Muhammad (captain), 5.Akeem Thomas, 6.Marcus Ambrose; 27.Nathan Lewis, 8.Keron Bethelmy, 21.Densill Theobald, 28.Pernell Schultz (24.Conrod Smith 60); 9.Keyon Edwards, 13.JulianWade (15.Aaron Lester 60).

Unused substitutes: 34.Kevin Graham (GK), 12.Kareem Joseph, 22.Jameel Neptune, 30.Akil Stafford.

Coach: Jamaal Shabazz

Referee: Michael London

Pro League fixture

(April 25)

Defence Force 4
(Josimar Begrave 29, 69, 81, Curtis Gonzales 36), Caledonia AIA 0 at Couva
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:22:51 AM by Tiresais »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Wait, wasn't this game carded for Sunday?

Pro League never cease to amaze.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stadium was suddenly needed for something else and the dressing rooms still not ready for use at Hasely. Same old, same old: a booking means nothing!

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flex, a Pro League official told me last night that W Connection plays Defence Force on May 4 and 6. I write story and bump into Defence Force manager who tells me, just an hour later, that it is really May 2 and 6 and the date was changed!
I never plan ahead when it comes to Pro League fixtures. It is impossible. But, like Football Supporter said, I know a lot of the alterations are not their fault.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Terrible - we need a football-dedicated stadium in North, East and South to stop this madness and give everyone the respect they deserve - South could be covered easily with a renovation...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Flex, a Pro League official told me last night that W Connection plays Defence Force on May 4 and 6. I write story and bump into Defence Force manager who tells me, just an hour later, that it is really May 2 and 6 and the date was changed!
I never plan ahead when it comes to Pro League fixtures. It is impossible. But, like Football Supporter said, I know a lot of the alterations are not their fault.

Lasana I hear you. This is my beef with the league admin.

1. Changes almost EVERY WEEK, wether its venue, times and games.

2. They do not publicize it effectively.

3. They refuse to add myself or Tallman on their mailing list. The SWO could very well assist with getting the word out with changes.

4. Why are there so many changes? CFU, CONCACAF and International dates are plan way ahead.

5. Is there any league in the world who operate the same?

6. These stuff affects everything, from sponsors to support.

7. The Pro League must have a concrete fixtures fist off all and stick by it or most of. At least it will be better planning for our teams (all) to set up futures international games and training. We have 8 teams in the league, we cannot run a league align to worldwide leagues in Europe who has 20+ teams.

Yes, we could start it at around the same time, but our league should be done way before the leagues in Europe. It also allow players to go on loan to foreign clubs and make a little extra money, etc....

Each teams must play two games against each other, home and away that's a total of 16 which should be over in roughly in 3 months, it leaves room for the rest of small tournaments such like the Toyota Cup etc.

Furthermore, Pro League games should be aligned with Super League games, for example, everyone plays on a Friday and Saturday and Sunday a rest day.... and from Monday to Thursday players will have time to train with the national teams and their respected clubs, which ever.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:23:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flex, Tiresais, allyuh making so much sense, that it making allyuh look dotish!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:59:11 PM by Deeks »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well, remember Defence Force took a month off to "fight crime" and Police FC also had two days postponed to work for Carnival and watch a Parliamentary protest. That caused problems with the fixture list.
I think you made very good points and the Pro League can do better as well as you guys should be on the mailing list. But I can also imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with some of the issues here.
The Mannie Ramjohn Stadium is still down, the Larry Gomes has no lights and is in horrible condition and the Hasely Crawford is often unavailable or abruptly changes bookings. Those are issues that come from the top.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Lasana I hear you. This is my beef with the league admin.

1. Changes almost EVERY WEEK, wether its venue, times and games.  This will only be resolved if clubs own their own stadiums or, as I have frequently suggested, each Regional Corporation dedicates a field as its "Wembley" where only Pro League, Super League and top school matches are played.

2. They do not publicize it effectively. Agreed. More can be done.

3. They refuse to add myself or Tallman on their mailing list. The SWO could very well assist with getting the word out with changes. Agreed.

4. Why are there so many changes? CFU, CONCACAF and International dates are plan way ahead. Again, it's not the Pro League, it's stadium allocation. If the Pro League makes too much fuss, they will simply have the use of stadiums taken away from them

5. Is there any league in the world who operate the same? Not that I know. But in most other countries, the premier football league is respected and prioritised. But I bet they wouldn't mess with intercol fixtures!

6. These stuff affects everything, from sponsors to support. Again, agreed.

7. The Pro League must have a concrete fixtures fist off all and stick by it or most of. At least it will be better planning for our teams (all) to set up futures international games and training. We have 8 teams in the league, we cannot run a league align to worldwide leagues in Europe who has 20+ teams. Actually, there are currently 9 teams! But what you want is impossible for the reasons given above.

Yes, we could start it at around the same time, but our league should be done way before the leagues in Europe. It also allow players to go on loan to foreign clubs and make a little extra money, etc....  But the majority of players who don't move overseas would be unemployed for 6 - 9 months each year and will turn away from professional football. Plus, clubs wouldn't need full time staff, so they would move out of the game. Then you'd lose youth development and the national teams future talent pool would disappear.

Each teams must play two games against each other, home and away that's a total of 16 which should be over in roughly in 3 months, it leaves room for the rest of small tournaments such like the Toyota Cup etc. Each team plays 3 times - home, away and neutral (although in reality, only Point Fortin actually have a home advantage.)

Furthermore, Pro League games should be aligned with Super League games, for example, everyone plays on a Friday and Saturday and Sunday a rest day.... and from Monday to Thursday players will have time to train with the national teams and their respected clubs, which ever. Why? Midweek football is extremely popular overseas and some of the biggest crowds this season have been Tuesday nights at Ato Boldon. Also, most coaches would not release players to train with the national team unless its immediately prior to an international game.

The real disadvantage to the Pro League mirroring Europe is the CFU and CONCACAF club tournaments. This years league winner will play in CFU next February and CONCACAF in 2016, if they win through. This means that an entirely different squad could compete from the players who earned the right. I do think players should start to insist on two or three year contracts. This would provide stability for player and club and add value to the player for transfer purposes.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The 2nd May was carded as the first round of the Digicel Pro Bowl. Can't see why they would change that and replace it with a solitary Pro League game? If possible, it would be better if Connection and Army played on Tues 29th and Tues 6th May with Pro Bowl remaining on 2nd May. Realistically (and with two such important games) it would be wrong to ask these two teams to play Friday - Sunday - Tuesday and maybe again Friday. Also, it will not encourage supporters to have to attend 4 games in 7 days.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Belgrave treble puts Army a point off W Connection
T&T Guardian

The once mighty lead of longstanding Digicel Pro League leaders W Connection is no more, making for a very interesting end to the 2013/2014 championship. This after the “Savonnetta Boys” who were occupying seats in the stands, awaiting their clash with bitter Couva rivals Central FC in the 2014 Lucozade Sport Goal Shield final at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on Friday watched on as defending champions, Defence Force clobbered Caledonia AIA 4-0 in a re-scheduled league match. Striker Josimar Belgrave made full use once again of the absence of injured talisman Devorn Jorsling by firing in a hat-trick for the “Teteron Boys” while national defender Curtis Gonsalves added the other to seal a ninth straight win for coach Ross Russell.

The win improved the Army/Coast-Guard combination to 44 points from 21 matches, one point behind W Connection ahead of their back-to-back meetings on May 4 and 6, before which could have well decided the destination of the $1 million title. In the final round of matches set for May 13, Defence Force will face San Juan Jabloteh while W Connection tackles Caledonia. On Friday, Belgrave fired his team into a 28th minute lead against the run of play when he latched onto a pass over the top and slipped his shot past goalkeeper Shemel Louison. Nine minutes before the half, Defence Force, which was on the back foot for most of the contest doubled its lead with Gonzales scoring from close up after Belgrave muffed his initial attempt.

The match was all over as a contest by the 69th minute when Belgrabe made it 3-0 with a header from a Ross Russell Jr cross. Eight minutes from time he completed his treble with a simple tap-in to put the icing on another comfortable win ahead of their clashes with W Connection. Third placed Central FC with 41 points and two matches left to play also still has a mathematical chance of lifting the title but must hope the two matches between W Connection and Defence Force end in draws before they both lose their final matches, while it must win its two remaining encounters.

Results
Friday's Digicel T&T Pro League result:
Defence Force 4 (Josimar Belgrave 28th, 69th, 82nd, Curtis Gonzales 36th) vs Caledonia AIA 0

Current Digicel T&T Pro League standings:
Teams    P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts
W Connection    21    13    6    2    43    15    45
Defence Force    21    14    2    5    44    25    44
Central FC    22    11    8    3    46    21    41
Pt Fortin    23    12    3    8    35    24    39
North East Stars    22    10    6    6    24    17    36
Caledonia    21    7    6    8    32    31    27
Police    23    8    3    12    30    41    27
Jabloteh    22    3    3    16    22    53    12
Rangers    22    2    1    19    19    64    7

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
9 friggin teams in a pro-league and so much friggin confusion and delay. Curepe-St.Joseph 12 team Sunday morning league was 100% more efficient than these guys. And they used 1 field and played only on Sundays. Finished 2 weeks before Christmas.  ............... Okay I exagerating a bit.

1]; } ?>