June 04, 2024, 10:01:25 PM

Author Topic: (Reuters) World Cup captaincy icing on the cake for Yorke  (Read 1394 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
(Reuters) World Cup captaincy icing on the cake for Yorke
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »
World Cup captaincy icing on the cake for Yorke

By Andrew Sleight

LONDON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - When Dwight Yorke leads Trinidad & Tobago out for their first game at the World Cup finals in June, the former Manchester United striker will regard it as his finest moment.

The 34-year-old is relishing captaining the Soca Warriors at the finals in Germany, and rates the prospect more satisfying than his 1999 European Cup final triumph in United's treble-winning season.

"This will be the icing on the cake for me, when I lead out my country for the opening game against Sweden," Yorke told reporters on Monday. Trindad play Iceland in a World-Cup warm-up friendly in London on Tuesday.

"When I won the treble at Manchester United it was a special moment and something I'll always cherish. However, at 34, when your going into the twilight of your career, to play in a World Cup is something I'm very excited about."

Yorke, currently playing for Australian side Sydney, recently trained with United and said he may keep fit with Alex Ferguson's side when the Australian season ends next week. Yorke, who also had spells in the Premier League with Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City, could also link up with an English club again before the start of the World Cup.

"The fact the Australian season finishes this weekend means that I'll be without a club for two-and-a-half months," said the player who came out of international retirement to captain his country to the finals.

"I have the option to train with Manchester United, but I need games as well.

"I still have another year with Sydney so it is something that I will be discussing with my manager. We will be looking at every possibility."

Trinidad are the smallest nation to ever qualify for the World Cup finals and have been drawn with the Swedes, England and Paraguay.

"I don't need to tell the other players what this is all about," added Yorke, stressing that the Caribbean country would not just make up the numbers.

"We are not turning up to be the whipping boys of the tournament. We are there to make sure that teams take us seriously."

Trinidad play England on June 15, a fixture that has excited the whole squad.

"The coach says that it is just 11 versus 11 and we will be fully prepared for the game.

"I'm sure there is a lot of extra incentive for the players who play in the lower divisions here in England.

"They might not have had the opportunity to come up against Steven Gerrard or David Beckham. I've been fortunate because I have and, as leader of the team I can tell you that we will cherish the experience for the rest of our lives."

Warrior For Life !!

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
Re: (Reuters) World Cup captaincy icing on the cake for Yorke
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
Yorke not only you will cherish these experiences for the rest of your lives. I myself will cherish the experience of seeing Trinidad and Tobago in the world cup. It is something i always dreamed about. 

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
Trinidad are the smallest nation to ever qualify for the World Cup finals

Trinidad are??

1) Is this reporter trying to fvck we boy about grammer.

2) Did he really say it..

3) Did my o' level english teacher fvck me up too..

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »
Yorkie should try to get as much training in as possible !
Warrior For Life !!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
Yorke warning to World Cup rivals
(BBC Sport)

Monday, 27 February 2006, 17:58 GMT

Yorke has been playing his club football in Sydney

Trinidad and Tobago start their World Cup countdown with a friendly against Iceland at Loftus Road on Tuesday.
And skipper Dwight Yorke has warned group rivals England not to take the Soca Warriors lightly in Germany.

"We're not turning up to be whipping boys," Yorke said. "We're there to make sure teams take us seriously."

Digital viewers can run the rule over England's World Cup opponents via the red button and watch the game live on BBC Interactive from 2000 GMT.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »
Trinidad are the smallest nation to ever qualify for the World Cup finals

Trinidad are??

1) Is this reporter trying to fvck we boy about grammer.

2) Did he really say it..

3) Did my o' level english teacher fvck me up too..

As soon as I saw it I wanted to make this post. Its all over the place. I always thought that a country  or a team or an organisation or collective nouns were singular and as such the conjugation of the verb ought to reflect the noun's singularity. I started seeing it American media first, but now its in the British and even local press.  Its now commonplace to hear teams or countries described as "they". I really am annoyed at it. I understand that language is evolutionary but this is just asinine.You just can't change the rules like that.

1]; } ?>