June 16, 2024, 12:08:55 AM

Author Topic: Shakes under surveillance.  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shakes under surveillance.
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »
Ricky Shakes under surveillance.
Swindon Town FC.

Trinidad & Tobago boss Leo Beenhakker will closely monitor the progress of Ricky Shakes after the Town winger’s international debut in last night’s 2-0 win over Iceland.
The Dutchman was keeping his cards close to his chest in the aftermath of Shakes’ bow on the world stage – but did praise the ex-Bolton man as “a very talented player.’’
Beenhakker, whose ‘Soca Warriors’ will battle England, Sweden and Paraguay in their World Cup group in Germany this summer said: “He (Shakes) is a very young guy.
“I’ve seen him before and I’m not going to read too much into just one game.
“It’s not fair to make a decision only on this match.
“I have travelled to England to see him playing for his club so we already have a general impression of him.’’
Beenhakker, whose side earned victory with two goals from former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke last night, admitted Shakes had impressed during his two-day stint with the Caribbean side this week.
He added: “Over the last two days, he has showed me he is a very talented player, which we knew already.
“He’s very ambitious and is very talented.
“We will follow him during the next few weeks and will be back in England to watch him play before the season is over.’’
The Warriors boss blooded several new faces against Iceland, who featured Chelsea’s Eidur Gudjohnsen, in the London clash at Loftus Road.
Beenhakker added: “This match was important to win and it also gave me some answers on some of the new players who have not been involved up to now.
“This is important to me because it is close to me making a decision about choosing the 23 to represent Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup.’’
The bulk of an almost eight thousand crowd was made up by Trinidad and Tobago fans and Shakes would love to see such support magnified at the World Cup.
He said: “The fans are great and it makes me hungry for more.
“I’m sure we’d have a good following at the World Cup. It would be quality.”
Now that he has his foot in the door Shakes is in no mood to miss out.
And he certainly isn’t overawed by life as an international.
He said: “I think I’ve done quite well, in the training sessions.
“I’ve been keeping my feet on the ground and just doing what I’ve got to do and getting to know the rest of the lads.
“The manager has said he’ll be watching me playing for Swindon.”
Shakes knows he has to keep performing for Town in order to book his seat on the plane to Germany.
He added: “I have to keep my level up. Then I’ve got a better chance of being at the World Cup.
Shakes’ international debut was watched in person by teammates, his club manager (Iffy Onuora) as well as his family.
He added: “Family, friends, the gaffer, Nicho (Andy Nicholas) and Charlie (Comyn-Platt) were here to watch me.’’
Nicholas said: “I thought it was a good solid performance.
“He had a shot blocked but his workrate was good and I thought he ticked a lot of boxes.
“He looked the part to be honest.’’
Shakes’ housemate Comyn-Platt added: “I was well chuffed for Ricky when he came on.
“He did really well.’’
Warrior Ricky.
Swindon Town FC.

Ricky Shakes’ World Cup appetite has been well and truly whetted after celebrating his international debut in victorious fashion amid a carnival atmosphere at Loftus Road last night.
The Town youngster entered the fray at the start of the second half as two goals from Dwight Yorke saw Trinidad and Tobago defeat Iceland 2-0.
The night almost ended in perfect fashion for the Town man as he carved out a late chance two minutes from time, only for an Icelandic boot to dash his debut scoring dream.
Nevertheless, Shakes was delighted with the whole experience and hopes it has brought him one step closer to World Cup glory.
If nothing else he just wants another opportunity to play in front of such vociferous, musical and relentlessly positive ‘Soca Warriors’ supporters.
He said: “It was a great experience for me. The manager just told me ‘just do your business when you get out there and play it simple’.
“I had one chance or half chance but the defender blocked it.
“Overall though I thought it went quite well. The manager said I did well. I’ve done my job in the team and I hope he’s happy with that.”
Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker admitted the Town man had a chance of being at this summer’s World Cup.
The Dutchman said: “He has a long way to go and playing at a World Cup is a different place to club football in England.
“But he has possibilities at being in the team for the World Cup.’’
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:28:53 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shakes under surveillance.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:41:26 AM »
Yes do or die time ricky
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:25:05 AM »
I believed he looked good out there too
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 09:51:49 AM »
Shakes: Just keep up your work rate an attitude and your chance will come..
Warrior For Life !!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:56:44 AM »
Swindon real pushing for this man to be on de team boy.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »
FIRST LET ME SAY....DE MAN PLAY ON DE RIGHT AND REALLY DID NOT IMPRESS ME....HE LOOKED AVERAGE....I DID NOT SEE THAT SO CALLED PACE...AND HE DONT LOOK LIKE HE COULD DRIBBLE ME..AND YES I THINK HE SHOULD BE LOOKED AT AGAIN...THE QUESTION HERE IS....IS THAT RIGHT SIDE POSITION BEST FOR HIM....???...WE ALL KNOW THATS A FIT CARLOS POSITION.....NOW TELL ME WHAT OTHER PLAYERS SHOULD BE LOOKED AT FOR THAT WIDE RIGHT POSITION ( AS COVER FOR CARLOS)....MY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE....JOSH JOHNSON....KENWYNE JONES...AND I TELLING ALLYUH...ANGUS EVE COULD DO THE WUK....COOL...TNT
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »
shakes if u hear something like a deisel truck above doh worry that is we blimp, dat is how we do surveilance
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
I honestly wasn't too impressed by him. He was hardly in the game, and when he got the ball, he looked very shaky with it. He hardly held possession with it, and that's against Iceland, we'll be playing better sides in the WC.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:16:46 AM »
yeah he did look shaky 4 real ( no pun intended) but if  bennie say u have talent u have talent the youngster probably still has to learn to handle his nerves regardless he must get a 2nd look and he is getting 1
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
yeah he did look shaky 4 real ( no pun intended) but if  bennie say u have talent u have talent the youngster probably still has to learn to handle his nerves regardless he must get a 2nd look and he is getting 1

yeah alyuh have to remember that was he first international game so we cyar just jugde him on that one appearance....obviously beenie think the man have talent so leh we wait and see.....in the end beenie go pick the best squad to take to germany

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 11:26:27 AM »
Based on what Beenie saying Shakes will likely be in the 28 names called in 2 weeks.  He will need some very good club performances to make the final 23 next month however.

Offline Redditch Valiant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:33 AM »
I agree with R45, he looked dodgy to me. But, as you say, it was his first match, so let's not judge too early.
Proud to be an honorary "Trinbagonian"
GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »
He's not a 20 year old youth ? Making his international debut for a side where he get brace from the u-20 side? What allyuh expected...? The boy was probably real nervous...we lucky he didn't do worse...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »
Shakes. Rep for  the British-Caribbean Crew along wid cox & 'me mum' :devil: :devil:
 ;D

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 11:42:52 AM »
He's not a 20 year old youth ? Making his international debut for a side where he get brace from the u-20 side? What allyuh expected...? The boy was probably real nervous...we lucky he didn't do worse...
All this friends and family were probably there too.
He showed Determinationat one point though  when he close down the ball between the defender & Goalkeeper  :devil: I cant tell them s**t themseleves :devil:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:56:45 AM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
Shakes was not in the game that much they should have passed the ball to him more and he should have tried to get a bit more involved. he looked shaky but so did cyd gray against costa rica some years back now look how gray plays 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
I don't doubt that he has potential, but if he's going to be a liability in the WC due to nerves or whatever, is this the best time for him to make is national debut? Beenhakker knows best in the end I hope.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
I don't doubt that he has potential, but if he's going to be a liability in the WC due to nerves or whatever, is this the best time for him to make is national debut? Beenhakker knows best in the end I hope.

Hey yuh have to start some where and remember these are friendlies and the squad aint pic yet . Plus in the second half after  the whole  team played did  not play so good.

1]; } ?>