June 07, 2024, 07:29:30 AM

Author Topic: Yuh ever hear about Jabloteh?  (Read 3717 times)

truetrini

Yuh ever hear about Jabloteh?
« on: June 12, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »
dortmund; germany
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO immediately cut themselves free from the tag of World Cup underdogs to make - and secure - a vital point against Sweden in their opening match here on Saturday, sending thousands Soca Warriors fans dancing with delight in the streets.

Inspired by a dogged all-round defensive effort, unruffled inspiration from man-of-the-match Dwight Yorke, plus a display of toughness hardly seen as a T&T trademark before, they avoided the losing start typical of so many first-time World Cup entrants, including Jamaica in 1998. And they did it despite playing nearly all the second half with just 10 men.

HUGE SLICE OF FORTUNE

The 0-0 draw was also due to a huge slice of fortune linked to wayward finishing by the Swedes and brilliant goalkeeping by T&T veteran Shaka Hislop, a last minute replacement for Kelvin Jack who was declared unfit just hours before kick-off.

The elements smiled on the twin-island republic of 1.3 million too, as the match began in scorching sunshine typical of Caribbean days, but testing to their European opponents. However, it was mostly a triumph for T&T's coach Leo Beenhakker, who months ago rescued the Soca Warriors' stuttering qualifying campaign, and put together a shrewd game plan for Sweden, matched by clever tactics throughout the 90 minutes.

FAR REACHING EFFECTS

The effects should be far reaching. "(Trinidadians) are not very well known to be courageous fighters in any sport. This demonstrates to me that we have got a new quality in our repertoire," said former T&T coach Alvin Corneal. ".....I think that is what Leo Beenhakker brings to the game. He brought that sort of level of composure, that experience, that type of personality that makes a player a world-class player.....I think now we are going to believe that we can beat a few teams in the top level."

FOOTBALL, NOT MATHEMATICS

Beenhakker, a former World Cup coach of his native Holland, capitalised on his knowledge of Sweden's predictable style, countering it with players whose passion defied popular odds here that tipped the European powerhouse, laden with high-priced talent, to stroll past a T&T squad featuring only two starters who can claim any prominence at the world-class club level. "We're not talking about mathematics," the crafty Dutchman said, explaining the unpredictability of the game.

"We're talking about football......In football, two and two is almost never four; it's sometimes five."

That means anything can happen, and it turned out Beenhakker was spot on with his calculations. He bottled up Sweden with an opening formation that featured four defenders, five midfielders and a lone striker in Stern John.

While Collin Samuel spread wide to thwart the overlapping runs of Sweden's rightback Niclas Alexandersson, Yorke's calm, roving presence in the centre of the park made sure the Warriors were not derailed early by the hyped World Cup atmosphere and 62,959 screaming fans, the overwhelming majority decked in the yellow and blue of Sweden. But the T&T captain was not alone. Christopher Birchall was exceptional all day, hounding in midfield, especially when matched against Barcelona's Henrik Larsson or Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg.

T&T mostly sat back on defence, content to weather Sweden's swarming attacks. And while Hislop started shaky by fumbling away an early cross, he rebounded magnificently to keep his team in the game with some brilliant saves.

PIVOTAL ADJUSTMENT

Yet, when T&T lost leftback Avery John, ejected a minute after half-time by a questionable second yellow card issued by Singapore referee Shamsul Maidin, Beenhakker made his first pivotal adjustment. Rightback Cyd Gray replaced John on the left and midfielder Carlos Edwards was slotted into Gray's spot.

For Edwards, it was his first time playing the position at the international level.

"It was a shock to be actually thrown, how to say, into the pot that early in that rightback position," he said. "......The manager had faith in me and he is considering I can go out there and do a good job."

Then Beenhakker pulled another master stroke. With T&T desperately looking to hold on playing a man short, he replaced midfielder Densill Theobald with striker Cornell Glen, a move which drew whistles from parts of the crowd demanding a safety-first approach.

"I thought he might have gone and put on a defender and look to defend all the way," admitted Glen.

Yet for Beenhakker, the strategy was especially designed to surprise Sweden.

"It's so amazing to do that," he said. "Everybody expects you to take off an attacker and bring on a defender." Sweden appeared apprehensive, unsure whether to send more players forward.

They settled for caution, especially after Glen banged a powerful shot against the crossbar.

"They had to defend two forwards with five defenders," Beenhakker explained.

"That's exactly what I was looking for....I was amazed it worked."

What also clicked was his decision to slow the game to a crawl, patience which frustrated the Swedes while knocking precious time off the game clock.

"We recognised the opponent has more talent," said Beenhakker. "We are never in a hurry."

None of it would have mattered had Sweden converted their ample scoring chances, despite showing overall dominance.

"I think we controlled the game," said coach Lars Lagerback, who claimed not to be surprised by T&T's composure on their World Cup debut. ".....It was one of those days we couldn't score."

CREDIT TO PLAYERS

Beenhakker agreed, but added: "Don't blame us they didn't score a goal." Instead he credited his players, not only Yorke, formerly of Aston Villa and Manchester United, and Hislop of West Ham, but those from lower European and T&T clubs. "I bet you hadn't heard of (Trinidadian club San Juan) Jabloteh (where substitute Aurtis Whitley plays), Wrexham (defender Dennis Lawrence's club in Wales) and Gillingham (Brent Sancho's English team) before?" he asked after the game. "They weren't supposed to compete against players from Juventus, Barcelona and Arsenal." Yet, with Beenhakker's plan, somehow they did.

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yuh ever hear about Jabloteh?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »
"(Trinidadians) are not very well known to be courageous fighters in any sport. This demonstrates to me that we have got a new quality in our repertoire," said former T&T coach Alvin Corneal. "

I'm insulted.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »
When I suggested a lineup of Carlos at right back and Wise at left back ..men stated Wise never played there ..now they are saying the same thing about Carlos but the coach did it. Who knows he might even see some wisdom in playing Wise at left back to cause some trouble ??
England's Cole and neville like to get foward, also Beckham , so I cant see us playing stay home defenders .... we cant hope that England wont convert chances like Sweden !
Latas may get his opportunity which was denied because of the sending off ....
Big Marvin's prayers are a great weapon though ...as well as the prayers of all of us who want the team to do well.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »
"(Trinidadians) are not very well known to be courageous fighters in any sport. This demonstrates to me that we have got a new quality in our repertoire," said former T&T coach Alvin Corneal. "

I'm insulted.

Cant agree with him there ....not with Crawford, Gibbon, Lara, Edwin Roberts, Ray Appolon, fitzroy Hoyte etc... nah Alvin should know better than to say that ....he probably ran out of soundbites and decided to ad lib !

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 10:10:45 PM »
Who surprised never heard much about 'Mr.Badmouter' Corneal

This is what he stand for; :bs: :bs: and more :bs:. ;)
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:24:01 PM »

I'm insulted.

Grown men should think before they talk, wasn't this the same coach who exhibit racist tendencies. So when he was coach the team never fought to win their games.  When he was on the team he did not fight to win the game, must be reason that depsite the herculean effort of his team mates  the  could not compensate for his yellow belly and that is why did not do well.

For a big man he could have simply

"Trinidadians) are not very well known to be courageous fighters in any sport. buts this should demonstrate to others a quality  we always had in our repertoire,"

is ah wonder what replacing a few wrds can do.

Wisdom does not always come with age, and in Alvin corneal we have the perfect example.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:07:09 AM by trinindian »

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:07:42 PM »
Alvin, haul yuh stinking arse... ??? >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:14:46 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:38:51 AM »
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:40:47 AM »
carlos edwards plays right back for his club,so its a positon he knows well

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:20:49 AM »

I'm insulted.

Cant agree with him there ....not with Crawford, Gibbon, Lara, Edwin Roberts, Ray Appolon, fitzroy Hoyte etc... nah Alvin should know better than to say that ....he probably ran out of soundbites and decided to ad lib !

This is one time I agree with Alvin Corneal.  Ask anybody about Trinidadian football teams (and players) and they will tell you: nice skill, no heart.  Have we consistently ben a team known to fight a game.  That trait has always belonged to Jamaica, who with less talent would consistently beat us by playing a very rough game and watching the Trinidadian team shy away and lose.

But not the Soca Warriors.  Beenhakker has instilled a confidence and fight in these players like I have not seen since the Strke Squad days.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 07:52:26 AM »
Yes Jahyouth, is true, but still let Alvin haul he stink arse.

Wasn;t he ever a player and coach for T&T?

And his own sons play and coach too?

Haul he arse.  Haul he stink arse. 

I agree that the statement is true, but he should not be making it de f**king traitor...wasn't he also questioning Beenies picks and did he not say that he woulda pick Ancil Elcock?

steups

Offline Clarke

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »
Wasn't Corneal a man that displayed nepotism in a stint as coach. Having he pickney play when the youth was total crap? WHy he doh go in ah damn corner and play with himself. Because he have no balls he wanna say the rest of trinidad doesnt? Wat ah hen he is.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »

I'm insulted.

This is one time I agree with Alvin Corneal.  Ask anybody about Trinidadian football teams (and players) and they will tell you: nice skill, no heart.  Have we consistently ben a team known to fight a game.  That trait has always belonged to Jamaica, who with less talent would consistently beat us by playing a very rough game and watching the Trinidadian team shy away and lose.

But not the Soca Warriors.  Beenhakker has instilled a confidence and fight in these players like I have not seen since the Strke Squad days.

Excuse me, but he did not say only in football, he said in NO sport have we ever displayed courage. That was insulting. He need tuh wipe he mouth cos is SHIT he talking.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
When I suggested a lineup of Carlos at right back and Wise at left back ..men stated Wise never played there ..now they are saying the same thing about Carlos but the coach did it. Who knows he might even see some wisdom in playing Wise at left back to cause some trouble ??
England's Cole and neville like to get foward, also Beckham , so I cant see us playing stay home defenders .... we cant hope that England wont convert chances like Sweden !
Latas may get his opportunity which was denied because of the sending off ....
Big Marvin's prayers are a great weapon though ...as well as the prayers of all of us who want the team to do well.

I told nuff people that experimenting with some of the middle fields players or winger at fulll back could help with the pace of the opposing strikers and it go work. Trust me I know what I'm saying is true!!!

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 10:57:16 AM »

I'm insulted.

you guys must be really young to make that kind of statement. When I was a kid in the 70's Jamaica could NEVER beat us...NEVER. Playing JA back then was a guaranteed 3 points for us.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 11:47:55 AM »

I'm insulted.

you guys must be really young to make that kind of statement. When I was a kid in the 70's Jamaica could NEVER beat us...NEVER. Playing JA back then was a guaranteed 3 points for us.

Pointman, me eh know, I following T&T football ah long time and trute be told me eh remember too many games we play Jamaica in de 70's.

In fact during the 1970's ah doh beleive that Jamaica even qualify fuh WC playoffs.

In fact dem was ah none entity in de 80's too.  and ah eh feel we play dem so many gam,es den.

But from de 90's tuh now dey own we arse!

We never beat dem in World Cup qualifiers, we beat dem in de Copa Caribe...but truth as much as it hurts..we have been dem bitches fuh ah long time now.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 07:27:14 PM »
As a child of the eighties, i remember trini run the route in shell cup. It was the same in the early nighties, as man said JA wasn't even on the scene then. like some ah allyuh really born yesterday

Wins in Copa Caribe/ Caribbean Nations Cup (1999-2003), /Caribbean Championship (1989-1990) / Shell Caribbean Cup (1991 -1998)/Digicel Caribbean Cup 2005
Trinidad and Tobago - 8
Jamaica - 3
Martinique - 1

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 02:19:15 AM »
"Beenhakker agreed, but added: "Don't blame us they didn't score a goal." Instead he credited his players, not only Yorke, formerly of Aston Villa and Manchester United, and Hislop of West Ham, but those from lower European and T&T clubs. "I bet you hadn't heard of (Trinidadian club San Juan) Jabloteh (where substitute Aurtis Whitley plays), Wrexham (defender Dennis Lawrence's club in Wales) and Gillingham (Brent Sancho's English team) before?" he asked after the game. "They weren't supposed to compete against players from Juventus, Barcelona and Arsenal."

I could not have said it better myself....let dey doh blame we.....it does happen in football....like de man say 2 + 2 is almost never 4 in football....

GO SOCA WARRIORS!!!!.....fight with all yuh might!!!!.... :) :)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 02:20:29 AM »
"Beenhakker agreed, but added: "Don't blame us they didn't score a goal." Instead he credited his players, not only Yorke, formerly of Aston Villa and Manchester United, and Hislop of West Ham, but those from lower European and T&T clubs. "I bet you hadn't heard of (Trinidadian club San Juan) Jabloteh (where substitute Aurtis Whitley plays), Wrexham (defender Dennis Lawrence's club in Wales) and Gillingham (Brent Sancho's English team) before?" he asked after the game. "They weren't supposed to compete against players from Juventus, Barcelona and Arsenal."

I could not have said it better myself....let dey doh blame we.....it does happen in football....like de man say 2 + 2 is almost never 4 in football....

GO SOCA WARRIORS!!!!.....fight with all yuh might!!!!.... :) :)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »

I'm insulted.

Sabo talkin shit!.....de man say "(Trinidadians) are not very well known to be courageous fighters in any sport". he in say nutten bout football.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 04:09:27 PM by Tongue »

1]; } ?>