June 05, 2024, 01:57:23 AM

Author Topic: Insularity is alive and kicking in the West Indies....  (Read 1134 times)

TrinInfinite

Insularity is alive and kicking in the West Indies....
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:25:12 PM »
I think it is time for joey carew and company tuh step down, along with many other journalists who report about our beautiful west indian game. Comments from val a fellow st.kitts man was autrocious and joey carew and company are adding to dem bc of their bad decisions in selection, val talks about how de smaller islands get lefted off, which i think is bullshit, at a time, indo-caribbean natives couldnt make de team bc of small island decisions, he seemed to 4 get about dat, i think also the jca is perpertrating it also, the jamaicans are very insular in their adament way of trying tuh force yardmen on the team, dujon spoke volumes today and stated his insular way of thinking, he also falls in the same category at val but i respect val more bc he was open about it, dujon wasnt, dujon is afraid tuh say what he really thinks, i rather have a yardman than a trini, even if de yardman is not better. I think we as the supporters need tuh stand up and eradicate dis, so that our cricket can progress.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Insularity is alive and kicking in the West Indies....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:36:37 PM »
I agree with you TI. Insularity is ruining West Indies cricket although it has eased up a bit. The main problem is that the selectors are unwilling to use the regional tournaments as the criterion for selection for the West Indies team. This is crippling our regional game and making a mockery of die-hard cricket fans who follow regional cricket.

What does Richard Kelly have to do to be selected ahead of Marlon Samuels who has done nothing in the regional tournaments and continues to flatter to deceive? Why does a spinner not get a run in the team? It has to be insularity -- Omari Banks got an extended run in the team even though he leaked runs on a number of occassions. I have no problem with this since I believe that a spinner should be given a run especially if he has performed in the regional tournament -- I just think that Mohammed should also be given that opportunity.

Note that I used Trini's in my example but I am certainly not blindly pro-Trin in my arguments -- I actually supported dropping Ramdin for the one dayers because he was playing the fool and Carlton Baugh has shown he can hit the ball cleanly.

It is high team we get rid of this insularity cancer of West Indies cricket and start putting back our faith in our regional tournaments-- even if they are not up to standard yet-- and stop depending on the nebulous thinking of a bunch of old men.
West Indies cricket needs to move towards a system and away from this clique-ism and insularity.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:57:18 AM »
:applause:

well said. select based on merit not crab politricks.

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:38:45 PM »
I know insularity still exists in our cricket but you right, it has eased up a bit. I am however against using the regional game alone as a basis for selection. Our regional game is not up to standard because it lacks the quality players we once used to have. To make matters worse, the league is further reduced in quality when our international players are away on tour during the time is played.

The WICB seems to counteract this problem by having more A-Teams tors which is a very good idea for helping our players gain international exposure. Hopefully, this policy will continue. This combined with the regional game should be used as the basis for selection of our players.

1]; } ?>