June 08, 2024, 05:21:31 AM

Author Topic: Trinidadians Yorke & John help Sunderland to big win.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Trinidadians Yorke & John help Sunderland to big win.
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »
Trinidadians Yorke & John help Sunderland to big win.
By: Gary Smith.
Caribbean Net News Sports Correspondent.
[/size]

Terryland Park, Ireland: Trinidadians Dwight Yorke and Stern John featured in Sunderland’s comprehensive 4-0 win over Galway United in a friendly match, as the Premiership side ended their tour of Ireland Wednesday evening at a packed Terryland Park.

John came on and made an impression.

In fact, substitute John was the most notable player on the field in the last 10-mintes of the game for the victors, after skillfully setting up a goal and then finishing off one for himself two minutes later.
With his team already leading 2-0 and seeming to finish the game on that score line, John collected a ball down the right side of pitch, and with some clever footwork, easily turned his full-back marker on the inside and delivered a good looking cross.
The striker’s ball, which went beyond the advancing Alan Gough in goal, was met by his strike partner David Connolly, who held off his marker and headed home for a 3-0 lead after 83 minutes.
Two minutes later, John played an excellent give and go with Connolly before neatly side footing home from 12-yards to score his second of the pre-season tour and made up for the number of misses he had on Monday against Cork.
The Black Cats manager Roy Keane, a former Manchester United midfielder and skipper when Yorke was striking at the club, said he was happy to see his strikers on the score sheet.
"Dave [Connolly] and Stern [John] got one each and it's always nice for the strikers to hit the back of the net,” Keane said after the game.
"A lot has been asked of the players on this trip, it's been demanding and I think they've represented Sunderland very well.
"It was good. We took our chances and it was a nice way to finish off the trip.
"Our form hasn't been too bad, we created chances and we finished them with some good goals - it's always nice to score four goals,” he added.

Early goal set the tone.

Earlier in the game the Black Cats, despite not playing fluent football, took the lead in the sixth minute when newly signed Michael Chopra got his first goal in Sunderland colours with a volley over the goalkeeper Gary Rogers’ head to give his side a 1-0 at the break.
Former Manchester United left-winger Kieran Richardson made it 2-0 after 56-minutes with a lovely taken goal under Gough's body, after a delightful first touch to advance the ball inside the area.
Another Trinidadian in the Sunderland side is Carlos Edwards, but he was forced to miss the match Monday evening because of a groin injury.
Meanwhile, Yorke again played his trademark, hard-pressing role in midfield as his team fended off some sloppy play in the second half to end the night and indeed the Irish tour off on a high note.
The Black Cats will next host Juventus on Friday. They will open their 2007/2008 English Barclays Premier League campaign against Tottenham at the Stadium of Light on August 11.
"We've another match on Saturday then seven days until the Spurs game. We'll analyse it and see who we are going to put out against Spurs,” Keane said.
"There were one or two players who did themselves a favour tonight. We need a bit more strength in depth and we're working on that.
"A lot of it is out of your hands, it tests your patience but if you want something you have to bide your time. We're hoping we'll have a good season.
"We're back first thing in the morning and the next goal for us is trying to beat Juventus on Saturday."

Sunderland: - Fulop (Ward 83), Halford (Kay 56), Etuhu (Yorke 45), Nosworthy (Varga 60), McShane (Anderson 60), Stokes (Donoghue 71), Whitehead (Leadbitter 64), Chopra (Connolly 58), Richardson (Collins 60), Murphy (John) 65.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidadians Yorke & John help Sunderland to big win.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:46:02 AM »
well done Mr Stern keep comin' gud  :beermug:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
Damn ah want Carlos to play against Juve!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
Let us see what they posting on the Sunderland board now. Bus de net.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
Not the man who get cuss yday. Another Stern John it have to have 2 ah dem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »
Yuh right bout that sister, how quickly they forget.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:32:43 PM »

yuh really mean how quickly WE forget ?
Nar soldier yuh wrong bout dat one, i never dog dat bredder. i was always a well wisher. yuh mixing I up with another.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »

yuh really mean how quickly WE forget ?
Nar soldier yuh wrong bout dat one, i never dog dat bredder. i was always a well wisher. yuh mixing I up with another.

yuh right ...i did addr the wrong man ...my humble apologies boss.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

1]; } ?>