June 03, 2024, 07:32:21 PM

Author Topic: Jol sacked as Tottenham manager  (Read 3835 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jol sacked as Tottenham manager
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »
Jol sacked as Tottenham manager
BBC Sport.

Spurs are third from bottom in the Premier League
Tottenham Hotspur confirmed the sacking of manager Martin Jol following the club's Uefa Cup defeat by Getafe.
Reports swept around White Hart Lane during the match that Jol would be leaving but his departure was not confirmed until later on Thursday.
"I shall never forget the Spurs fans," Jol said in a statement released by the club, which also sacked the Dutchman's assistant Chris Hughton.
Clive Allen will manage the team for Sunday's game with Blackburn.
Former Spurs player Allen is the club's development coach and he will be helped to prepare for the game by youth team manager Alex Inglethorpe.
"For me, Martin and Chris' departure is regrettable," said chairman Daniel Levy.
Getafe boss Michael Laudrup, "Our greatest wish was to see results turn in our favour and for there to be no need for change."
Sevilla coach Juande Ramos has reportedly agreed to become Spurs' new manager at the start of next season.
It was claimed Spurs met Ramos in August with a "dizzying" offer to replace the 51-year-old Jol at White Hart Lane.
But with Sevilla in the Champions League Ramos opted to see out his contract with the Spanish club which expires next summer.
Ramos is regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football after guiding Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cup titles.
Sevilla beat Spurs on the way to their success in last season's Uefa Cup, while Ramos also led his side to third in La Liga and victory in the Copa del Rey - Spain's top domestic cup competition.

BBC Sport's Sam Lyon
The Times newspaper also reported Gus Poyet, the former Tottenham and Chelsea midfield player, has been approached to become the assistant manager.
During the defeat to Getafe in a Group G game Spurs fans gave vocal support to the Dutchman, singing "Stand up for Martin Jol".
Jol took charge of Spurs in November 2004, replacing the unpopular Frenchman Jacques Santini, and under him the club twice qualified for the Uefa Cup.
Having recruited the likes of Darren Bent, who cost £16.5m, Gareth Bale and French defender Younes Kaboul during the summer, Tottenham had high hopes of challenging for a Champions League place.
But Spurs suffered a disastrous start, recording just one victory - the 4-0 win over Derby in August - in 10 league games and since the reported meeting with Ramos, Jol has faced constant questioning over his future.
Jol's agent is currently in Brazil and was unavailable for comment late on Thursday as regards the terms of the Dutchman's severance package.
"Given what he did last season I don't think he will have a problem finding a new job," said Getafe boss Michael Laudrup after his side's win.
Jol has been linked with Dutch club Ajax who are without a permanent coach following Henk Ten Cate's departure to Chelsea.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jol sacked as Tottenham manager
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:07:01 PM »
He definitely won't have a problem finding a gig. Once that meeting with Ramos took place he didn't have a proper leg to stand on. I can only imagine how much time he's spent in the past weeks fending off the inevitable.

Well, I figured Berbatov should have made a dash for the door at the end of last season.

Spurs' season can definitely be turned around. Right now there are at least a handful of clubs within their immediate range. The club has money so they played the hand they had. Only immediate/clear loser right now may be Chris Hughton. He's been at Spurs a damn long time. Should land on his feet. Hope he does. 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »
Jol have he own self to blame.

He hold back Taraabt and look wha happen.

He look fuh dat.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
football is such a funny sport

i cuda swear he wuda pull himself together but he just couldnt to bad for him

i doubt they  cud get that sevilla coach though champ lege and uefa cup is two different things entirely

prestige and what not may be to much to pry him away now
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
whoever they hire, better be a coach to sort out that defence...

tottenham never have a problem scoring goals, but that defence is mess..

and i ent even think is because they have poor defenders... even with king injured, a back four of chimbonda, dawson, kaboul and bale is a quality unit with the right tactics..

if dey find a man to sort out that defence, they will turn it around in no time

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »
i dont think he ever had bale playing in the back mostly as a midfileder but in theory that defence should be solid

but experience is a hell of a thing
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
Asylumseeker...I agree with yuh, once Ramos was seen at Whitehart the proverbial writing was on the wall.  I too feel fuh Hughton was the good soldier for a very long time, and here loyalty mighta work against, rather than for him.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »
It was only a matter of time unfortunately.

I wish him all the best, he was the classiest manager in the Premiership bar none and I'll always have a great deal of respect for him.

I seriously doubt he'll be out of football for long.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
I was at the game tonight and, at times, Spurs were terrible. Getafe played precise controlled football, but Spurs seemed to rush their passes and lose possession easily. Also, in the first half, they had no ideas going forward. Their goal came from their first attack down the right wing. Then they had a gaol disallowed, which also came from the right wing. However, every other attack was straight down the middle and easily dealt with by Getafe's defenders.

It seemed the game plan was to feed Berbatov, but this played right into Getafe's hands. In the second half, Lennon saw more of the ball on the right wing and Spurs had several good attack, including one that hit the post. However, Getafe were good value and deserved their win.

I just couldn't believe the talent that wore white shirts, yet put in such a lacklustre performance. I think Blackburn will have a field day on sunday.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:18:11 PM »
Jol face today tell it all.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
He lose that locker room long time now. next in line Rafa the jugglin fool
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »

:rotfl:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »

:rotfl:

Ah love Rafa, but since Pako gone is like Rafa ain't know what de f*ck he doing.  He shoudda never let Pako go.  Jol gone since trhe first game of the season.  Losing to new boys, Sunderland, put Spurs on bad footing.  They a bit too ambitious, if yuh ask me.  Talking bout Champions League qualification this season.  They about 2 years away from that, if yuh ask me.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:36:45 AM »
Tottenham just lacks leadership on the field. They have too many talented players but nobody who really takes charge during the game to set a tempo or organize or rally the team, unless you consider Robbie Keane a leader.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 06:45:28 AM »
Took too long if you ask me. My main gripe with Jol was his player selection and I agree with JDB and the leadership issue. I can only pray that the loosing stops..ah man/fan cud only take so-much licks!

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
Tenorsaw u have it cork wit your response...Pako was always the man close to the players and made sense to them about the rotation....his true test comes this weekend against the Gunnersz

as for Jol i think we will see him soon at Ajax and in my opinion may be sooner than we think and better for him there.

Chris Hughton is the man who i too feel sorry for...

overall i think the players let him down ...i rember a game where darren bent mis 2 glaring clear scoring opportunities...keane miss 1 and berbatov miss 3 (2 riite after each other)

then against getafe a total let down from the defense....

not too mention allowing 4 goals against villa

they say ramos is in the job next season i believe that ...but i believe he can only get the spurs to their next level that is a top 4 finish and after that he will suffer the same team

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
with some better transfers that side woulda be singing all now..

whaz de point buying bent when you done have berbatov and keane, and then poor jermaine defoe begging for a sweat? with that signing, it force them to ALWAYS have to play 2 forwards no matter what the situation.. imagine playing liverpool away from home, and you want to play a 4-5-1, how yuh go tell 3 starting forwards like keane, bent and defoe to bench?

for the life of me i cyah understand why defoe staying there to watch his career rot away..

the biggest holes in that side was a left winger and in the defence..  if they had deal with that first then they would be fine now..

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »
there fullbacks are capable but thy dont seem to be effectively getting the job done..too much loss balls yesterday from chimbonda and pyo....(granted bale is god but he injured so wat thy go do??..alongside assou ekoto) .

that centre defense is filled with prospects....Kaboul.(future french cb)...King (26 and a english CB contender)...Dawson (capable of makigna england squad but needs to buck up).....gardner and rocha wont cut it imo

i think though they need to probably find a sure steel fire CB liek tehy had in campbell to apir with king and let dawson and kaboul bloom into teh roles in time

midfield need to buck up too....zokora could try but he need to step up too..they missing a man liek carrick..a true conductor of their midfield cuz jenas cant do the job....routledge need to step up and be lennons equal on that left side of midfield.

money spent on bent was not a wise decision tho imo thy shoulda spent it fixing these other parts

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
Tottenham in Champioship next season ... they will become the new Leeds United.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
Fergie say it right when he say ''There is on evidence that sacking a manager brings success'', then pointed to him and Wenger as proof. Both of their boards stick by them right thru, even when their team was stumbling and they are back to being the two best teams in the league, winning and playing good football doing it.

Spurs reach exceeds their grasp. With a top 4 of ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool they shoulda concentrate on making it a consistent top 5 and be considered as part that group before deciding that no Champions league football is a failure by the man.

When Terry was injured under Mourinho, Chelsea get real trouble despite their strong bench so they shoulda have patience with Jol until King comes back and then judge him. Spurs going to go right back where they were before Jol. Just like Newcastle did after getting rid of Bobby Robson after two top 4 finishes and FA Cup appearances and West Ham with Harry Redknapp when they end up getting relegated.

Men get a small taste of success after years in the wilderness, start to get greedy and end up losing all.

Steups...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 10:49:07 PM »
Unfortunately Spurs board made choices that affected the team they put on the field plus Jol sometimes had a tendency to coach to not lose versus coaching to win. Plus management decided to sell their best passer in Carrick to a team above them and replaced him with inconsistent Jenas and ineffective Zykora. D man was shooting blanks in a shootout, end result is he lost. It nevers ceases to amaze how teams still don't copy successful blueprints in an attempt to gain success. Spurs are a badly run team and org.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ramos resigns from Sevilla; road to Tottenham is now clear
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 12:19:06 AM »

Sevilla have announced that Juande Ramos has resigned as coach, paving the way for him to join Tottenham.

Ramos has been strongly tipped to move to White Hart Lane following the sacking of Martin Jol on Thursday.

The 53-year-old has been linked with Tottenham since the summer after he reportedly held talks with some club officials.

SKY SPORTS NEWS
Ramos resigns from Sevilla
Ramos clears way to move to Spurs
By Peter O'Rourke

Ramos' Sevilla contract was due to expire at the end of the season and the Spanish club were fighting a losing battle to keep the highly-rated tactician.

Sevilla held an emergency board meeting on Friday in a bid to thrash out Ramos' future and the 53-year-old has now decided to resign to allow him to move to north London.

Ramos is expected to be joined by Leeds assistant boss Gus Poyet at White Hart Lane with the former Spurs midfielder expected to take up a position as Ramos' number two.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 06:06:16 AM »
I couldn't agree more.

Both of these guys think that they are more important than the players. Jol was using his treatment of Defoe and Benitez  with Gerrard, to make their points. The horrible thing is that both of them are pretty good managers.

Stubborn fools!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »
Clubs & their board should not be able to change coaches until the transfer window. In Italy if you sack a coach you cannot hire a coach that is employed with another club in Italy (until season end).
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ramos resigns from Sevilla; road to Tottenham is now clear
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 07:35:42 AM »

Sevilla have announced that Juande Ramos has resigned as coach, paving the way for him to join Tottenham.

Ramos has been strongly tipped to move to White Hart Lane following the sacking of Martin Jol on Thursday.

The 53-year-old has been linked with Tottenham since the summer after he reportedly held talks with some club officials.

SKY SPORTS NEWS
Ramos resigns from Sevilla
Ramos clears way to move to Spurs
By Peter O'Rourke

Ramos' Sevilla contract was due to expire at the end of the season and the Spanish club were fighting a losing battle to keep the highly-rated tactician.

Sevilla held an emergency board meeting on Friday in a bid to thrash out Ramos' future and the 53-year-old has now decided to resign to allow him to move to north London.

Ramos is expected to be joined by Leeds assistant boss Gus Poyet at White Hart Lane with the former Spurs midfielder expected to take up a position as Ramos' number two.

ramos really give up champions league and that excellent sevilla project boy   ???

that spurs paper must be tall!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 02:05:17 PM »
ramos now becomes  the 2nd highest paid manager  behind alex ferguson
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
The man is reportedly getting a contract worth 25 million pounds over 5 years and he wanted to move to the premiership albeit he was actually hoping for the Chelsea job :-\ .

Even if he does like MJ and lasts three years when you combine that with the severance package he's financially secure for life.

1]; } ?>