June 16, 2024, 02:06:25 AM

Author Topic: Should we go back to a direct style of play?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Should we go back to a direct style of play?
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
Folks, having watched the last couple games with the senior team one thing is evident.

We are trying to play a particular type of way but for that way to be effective you need the right personnel.

We are trying to play a patient passing game in defense and centre of midfield and hope that things open up to either slide the ball down the wings or up to the forwards.

The problem is that to do that effectively we need a back 4 who are technically good and more importantly, composed at all times. We just dont have the quality in the back to execute them kinda tactics, men on this same forum malign the direct style of play some teams incorporate but I am not sure we will ever be successful playing that type of football, we don't have the pool of players to execute that on a consistent basis.

If last night was a showcase of our best available local back four then we will go nowhere. But we still have to compete and try to come up with a plan. So it begs the question, should we consider a more direct style of football where you utilize players like Jorsling who have decent strength and technical ability and can hold up the ball and bring the midfield into play.

Marvin Andrews was never good with the ball at his feet but he has served us for many years cause he kept it simple. Should we just try to play to the strength of limited players?

Let's discuss.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Should we go back to a direct style of play?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
I have seen trinidad play direct football, to my mind it is not much better than try to play d short passin game, d problem is we to obsesses wit tryin to look like brazil an' spain and not truly considering d quality of personnel we have, I keep sayin dat way d US played us in dat away game last year is what we should be trying to achieve a compact workman like team dat does d basics well................but no we like fancy shit an flams an only puttin cart before donkey.....................I bet alyuh if we take ah ordinary 20 man wit moderate skill(dat realise dey skills moderate- mental) an get dem to do d simple tings an do dem right, we will have plenty success..........but den man go start to talk cuuntishness about no beats an' style, and it ugly to watch.............I din see nutten ugly in what d states did to us.. it was simple an well executed

let mih re-iterate simple and  well executed not one aimless hoff was seen
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:36:14 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:38 AM »
I have seen trinidad play direct football to my mind it is not much better than try to play d short passin game d problem is we to obsesses wit tryin to look like teams brazil an' spain and not truly considering d quality of personnel I keep sayin dat way d US played us in dat away game last year is what should be trying to achieve a compact workman like team dat does d basics well................but no we like fancy shit an flams an only puttin cart before donkey.....................I bet alyuh if we take ah ordinary 20 man wit moderate skill(dat realise dey skills moderate- mental) an get dem to do d simple tings an do dem right we will have plenty success..........but den man go start to talk cuuntishness about no beats an' style, and it ugly to watch.............I din see nutten ugly in what d states did to us.. it was simple an well executed

let mih re-iterate simple and  well executed not one aimless hoff was seen

I not saying that we should kill the skill, but basic coaching shows that only in the attacking third of the field should that type of play be exhibited. When you looked at the run up to the 2006 WC: Gray, Andrews and John were all very limited players when it came to playing the ball with their feet. Only Lawerence exhibited some kinda confidence with the ball at his feet.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
It would probably make very little difference if any at all....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »

I not saying that we should kill the skill, but basic coaching shows that only in the attacking third of the field should that type of play be exhibited. When you looked at the run up to the 2006 WC: Gray, Andrews and John were all very limited players when it came to playing the ball with their feet. Only Lawerence exhibited some kinda confidence with the ball at his feet.

dont necessarily agree, thats where a formation that allows to spread your team without stretchin dem may come in handy 4-1-2-1-2 or  4-2-3-1 even 3-2-3-2(3-5-2) and see how we fear without wingbacks, but find a way to "carry" the ball that suits us.................we problem is dat defense mid and attack does be isolated and no supportin does be goin on,  add to dat d complete lack of consideration for d notion dat "EVERYBODY DEFENDS"...............................IN WE CULTURE AS AH YOUTH, DAIS STILL WEH DEY PUT YUH WEN DEY TINK YUH SHITTY, so latapy apparent philosophy ent no surprise.....to me anyway

note: by 'carry' ah talkin strictly passing
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:29:55 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
Look JP play direct football the other night. What is the issue?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
Direct play still requires
Accurate long passes, into space or to chest, head, feet
Ability to control the long ball
movement and a willingness to run behind defenses &
movement to support the knock down.
once the ball is lost you still require players to track runners
Close off space etc etc etc.
High level of fitness
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>