May 29, 2024, 02:13:42 AM

Author Topic: U-17 Women @ Costa Rica Int'l Tourny (3-12 Apr 2008)  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-17 Women @ Costa Rica Int'l Tourny (3-12 Apr 2008)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »
All I can say for these girls and the administration is that the learning is huge. For our girls to be on par, they have to receive the same amount of resources as the boys do(Title IX). They have to play more football. How much football do they play at home. Do they play pick up games to enhance their skills like boys do? Would their parents allow them to go in the Savannah to play football. These are some of the things these girls are up against.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
I would not pick them for my U-14....seriously.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aMxiiKdjtcg

are you saying there are better choices?
we have to face the reality of where the game is in the country and the pool we have now.  I proud of the girls and what they doing for the sport at this stage. I won't even bother compare us to the top countries in the world...learn from but not compare.

That's the thing....I am not saying there are better options, but should we have a National team when players at not at the level? What about T&T developmental academy or something like that.  We should be focussed on development and not achievemnet right now. Flying to Costa Rica with player who are still learning to pass the ball properly is not development, it's time wasting. You are puttin g players in asituation where they will develop bad habits which in the long run will hurt us. Look at the women's team good players but lacking. This is so because the same recipe ha sbeen used since the 1980s with the forming of women's national. One would think you will either change the recipe or the cook...maybe even both.

I have been following women's soccer for a while now (attending local game, national training), and it's gotten no better. It the same thing. We have a few good players but that's it.  Don't think that I am blaming thegirls, because if they select me to play against England on June 1st, I running out in full gears.

Lets just say they did adopt your revolutionary suggestions..

Why then would any girl in her right mind play the sport of football in Trinidad, if she knows she'll never even see an opportunity to participate in an international tournament ???

Is a damn good thing you hold no influence in the administration of the sport in the country yes.

Yuh missing the point and not reading carefully. The team is a young team, many of the girls are not true  U-17s. I am saying for this team development should be priority. Why should the men 's team be held to a higher standard than the women's. We are always saying this one not ready, that one not ready for the national when dealing with the men. With the women's however, it's okay they will get better. Not good enough my friend. The standard of play for all national teams should be high. A national team should not be because. Wrong message to send..... What, anyone with an ounce of talent can wear the colours?

Let the girls develop and then form the national team. The fact of the matter remains that we are not ready, the scores show this. The comment was made by another poster that we cannot or should not compare ourselves to the USA, Canada and the likes. My question, who do we compare ourselves to? What level are we looking to reach and what measuring stick are we using? Grenada? Suriname? Antigua?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »

U will not generate interest in the game if you do not compete in Int'l tournaments regardless of the result.

What is the purpose of football for girls in T&T at this time and what is it going to be in the future?

I dunno about who we want to compare ourselves to but in terms of developmental challenges, societal attitudes, resources, purpose of the sport for girls and other factors we have to deal with who do we have more in common with? 

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

U will not generate interest in the game if you do not compete in Int'l tournaments regardless of the result.

What is the purpose of football for girls in T&T at this time and what is it going to be in the future?

I dunno about who we want to compare ourselves to but in terms of developmental challenges, societal attitudes, resources, purpose of the sport for girls and other factors we have to deal with who do we have more in common with? 

Again.....I am not saying do not expose them to international competition, but that can be done in a different manner. There are so many top class tourament around the world they can attend, send them as a club. Look at SKHY, just finish playing in the Dallas Cup. Get them exposure that way. They have to break in in a manner that will help them to build confidence and competence at the same time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »
I agree with all your post here elan, you obviously aware of the girl/woman's game....again not holding it against the girls at all..nobody want to go out an get 10, or 7 an next 10...especially after training..an wearin National colours, regardless of age, but dem older heads, don't know better ? ...yuh doh take the brightest students from an area that just get their 1st highschool, and compare dem to places that have high school systems for years to see whey dey stand - dey might quicker give up on school, figurin dey could never be that good.. Yuh doh take house league players and play dem  Inter regional, before Intercity....watchin the clip elan posted, whatever they working hard on, they shouldn't be doing it at midday, cause it makin dem worse...I woldn't add any more negativity, cause that is not my intention, which is only to demonstrate there are better methods, yet like every other activity, the gaurdians must be diligent and aware, and awake in prepping their charges for the world, before throwin dem out in it, juss because dem guardians, who not prepared demselves feel ah urge to go....there are ways to prepare, I think elan already alluded to some...and yuh test everybody now an then...that is how yuh measure success, not when yuh only gettin 5......few children would get positive learning reinforcement in such frustrating environment, with such 'learned leaders' ..

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
The benefits of participating in an international tournament are not measured by results only..

The opportunity to play against the best in the game and measure yourself to see where you need to be to make it in the sport.

Exposure to a professional environment and facilities..

Team building and togetherness..

Just some of the overall pluses. Being overwhelmed by quality opposition doesn't mean that much positive hasn't come out of the tour.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
Standings as of last night (April 9)

Completed Table with only full international teams.

PosiciónEquipo Puntos PJ PG PE PP Dif. Gol
1Chile 93300+15 CAMPEÓN
2Costa Rica63201+8
3Honduras 33102-8
4Trinidad y Tobago 03003-15

Table vs. US regional teams. (2 matches to go)

Posición Equipo Puntos PJ PG PE PP Dif. Gol
1 EE.UU. IV 6 2 2 0 0 +8
2 Chile 6 2 2 0 0 +5
3 EE.UU. III 6 2 2 0 0 +3
4 EE.UU. II 3 2 1 0 1 +6
5 EE.UU. I 3 2 1 0 1 +3
6 Honduras 0 2 1 0 2 -7
7 Costa Rica 0 2 0 0 2 -5
8 Trinidad y Tobago 0 2 0 0 2 -15

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
Don't worry about the position on that table. In the future #8 will be #1!!!!!!

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
Fellas  Don't be too hard on these girls as nuf men have been saying these teams here in the US are well organized and prepared. As a trini brother who is involved with coaching and developing the players in Region I. Let me share some insight into the present region I  team in Costa Rica. The core of the Region I team started under me three years ago. We brought in over 500 players to our camp and we selected the top 85 players. Those players have been in our program for the past three years. To date this pool has been reduced to the top 40 players. Some of the best players are presently with the US national teams so we sent the other players from the pool to Costa Rica. It is good for them to experience playing against high level players/teams as we all know even though the results might be rough. We too take our Region I teams all over the world and compete against older teams for them to get a taste of real top notch competition. Sometimes we get beat sometimes we win. Most of all we feel like each time our players get better. I know there might be a feeling that 9 and 10 is  tough lessons but they have to start some where.
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
good...take yuh lessons....its the same as playing any Brazillian teams....learn
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 07:20:16 AM »
Fellas  Don't be too hard on these girlsNo one has been as nuf men have been saying these teams here in the US are well organized and prepared.exactly As a trini brother who is involved with coaching and developing the players in Region I. Let me share some insight into the present region I  team in Costa Rica. The core of the Region I team started under me three years ago. We brought in over 500 players to our camp and we selected the top 85 players.Those players have been in our program for the past three years. To date this pool has been reduced to the top 40 players. This may be the starting pool in TT Some of the best players are presently with the US national teams so we sent the other players from the pool to Costa Rica. It is good for them to experience playing against high level players/teams as we all know even though the results might be rough. We too take our Region I teams all over the world and compete against older teams for them to get a taste of real top notch competition.The players have to be prepared to compete if learning is to take place..1 Sometimes we get beat sometimes we win. Most of all we feel like each time our players get better. I know there might be a feeling that 9 and 10 is  tough lessons but they have to start some where.at the correct level, even if it means playing younger teams
You talking right, but yuh conclusion vague...International level is not somewhere, that's the top, sometimes old fahion learning is still good, start at the bottom, learn the basics and work yuh way to the top...The top and the bottom are both somewhere, but radically different for development..
my umbrage is not with the athletes but the program directors who should have the knowledge to distinguish levels.

1. Just because a team/program is committed, an practiced, does not mean they are ready to try the best in the world.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
i strongly disagree with that maxg...

if anything, the girls should be honoured by the opportunity to compete against teams at the highest level and take the lessons from that. I only see benefits.

I am sure even though they lost these games by big margins, the girls would had either 1. raised the level of their games to their highest levels or 2. learned something about what the level of competition is out there and where they need to be and can aspire to.  Both positive outcomes from the exposure.

Your suggestion is that they compete with other teams within their class, but what suggests to you that doing so is going to help them improve and "work their way to the top" as you put it in the foreseeable future?  You can only progress as a player by competing above your level. I'm sure our national men's team would jump at the chance to face a full strength Brazil XI rather than shy away simply because we are not ready to try the best in the world.

All in all, getting beaten by the best in the business is nothing to be ashamed about.

If anything, the girls are coming out of this significantly richer for the experience.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
We will have to agree to disagree.. I have based all of comments (minus the TT player pool comment) on repeated studies, observation and some years experience in the womens game , and it's quite different from the men's game...thus our top Men playing against a top Brazil is not the same game or learning experience as, our Top Women playing against the top female team.many different motivational, besides atitudes involved, I have recently started acquiring some experience coaching kids and the gap is not as wide below ~13 yrs, but after that, many social, cultural and  other realistic factors affect the attitudes/development in different countries, and  i'm not "just feeling ah feeling". I am relatively certain of particular outcomes for particular reasons....I am telling you with that approach(you described), the results would probably never change, in which case learning would be unmeasurable...I don't believe anybody know enough to write a factual book on the subject yet however, as the women's game (all sports) is still experiencing some degree of change & acceptance,-  highly accepted in this country and even though a little slower in TT, still a certain degree...- that being said, I think elan points and myself have touched as much as I can on the subject...if yuh not convinced, is not just because I think yuh wrong, cause yuh may not be, but that my argument cannot at this point be, concrete enuff...alright cheers  :beermug:

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 08:20:50 AM »
Fellas  Don't be too hard on these girls as nuf men have been saying these teams here in the US are well organized and prepared. As a trini brother who is involved with coaching and developing the players in Region I. Let me share some insight into the present region I  team in Costa Rica. The core of the Region I team started under me three years ago. We brought in over 500 players to our camp and we selected the top 85 players. Those players have been in our program for the past three years. To date this pool has been reduced to the top 40 players. Some of the best players are presently with the US national teams so we sent the other players from the pool to Costa Rica. It is good for them to experience playing against high level players/teams as we all know even though the results might be rough. We too take our Region I teams all over the world and compete against older teams for them to get a taste of real top notch competition. Sometimes we get beat sometimes we win. Most of all we feel like each time our players get better. I know there might be a feeling that 9 and 10 is  tough lessons but they have to start some where.

Agreed with this outlook. The youths need many more opportunities like this if they are to raise their level of play. Again, we see the need for better structure within the national setup. On another note, look at the number of players this man is saying that the US starts with in order to get to their top players, and how long in advance their preparation begins. T&T has to promote the women's game to increase it's pool, but more importantly it needs to have an aggressive recruiting of players of Trinidadian parentage in the US, Canada, England and anywhere else these potential players can be found. Unless the philosophy is to use local based players only for the program. There are resources to do this and plenty professional people willing to help if the T&T heads are open to taking a helping hand instead of acting like another poster says "know it all"
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline jonny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
It`s not really fair to compare, Chile got a U20 NT in this tournament , probably also Honduras and Costa Rica. T& T playing with U17 team .

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »

if anything, the girls should be honoured by the opportunity to compete against teams at the highest level and take the lessons from that. I only see benefits.

I am sure even though they lost these games by big margins, the girls would had either 1. raised the level of their games to their highest levels or 2. learned something about what the level of competition is out there and where they need to be and can aspire to.  Both positive outcomes from the exposure.

Your suggestion is that they compete with other teams within their class, but what suggests to you that doing so is going to help them improve and "work their way to the top" as you put it in the foreseeable future?  You can only progress as a player by competing above your level. I'm sure our national men's team would jump at the chance to face a full strength Brazil XI rather than shy away simply because we are not ready to try the best in the world.

All in all, getting beaten by the best in the business is nothing to be ashamed about.

If anything, the girls are coming out of this significantly richer for the experience.

What if you entered college and on during the first week of school they give you your exit exam without attending a class? Can you build a house putting the roof up first?

Fellas Don't be too hard on these girls as nuf men have been saying these teams here in the US are well organized and prepared. As a trini brother who is involved with coaching and developing the players in Region I. Let me share some insight into the present region I team in Costa Rica. The core of the Region I team started under me three years ago. We brought in over 500 players to our camp and we selected the top 85 players. Those players have been in our program for the past three years. To date this pool has been reduced to the top 40 players. Some of the best players are presently with the US national teams so we sent the other players from the pool to Costa Rica. It is good for them to experience playing against high level players/teams as we all know even though the results might be rough. We too take our Region I teams all over the world and compete against older teams for them to get a taste of real top notch competition. Sometimes we get beat sometimes we win. Most of all we feel like each time our players get better. I know there might be a feeling that 9 and 10 is tough lessons but they have to start some where.

What about the technical ability of the players in Region 1 vs the technical ability of T&T?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »

What if you entered college and on during the first week of school they give you your exit exam without attending a class? Can you build a house putting the roof up first?

You're comparing apples with oranges.

Who says the girls have to pass the college exam anyway?

Maybe is because Elan watching it on TV and prefer not to see us get a cutass?

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
There is so much here to be considered beyond the results as it relates to the development of the players. Within the US structure there are some states who do not have the same number of players as other states so they consistantly get crushed by other state teams, but that does not deter them from going to compete at Region Camp in the summer. The approach is to consistantly provide an environment for their players to compete against the best and only the strong survive. The reality is that this is a comparison of apples and oranges...the physical development of the players is another factor...my 11 year old daughter is bigger and stronger than the average 15 year old Trini; one may argue that size should not be a factor, but in female football at this age...size and athleticism is a huge factor; individual and collective maturity (psychological dimention) is another factor. Elan is asking the question of comparison of the technical ability of the Trini players to the Region I players...well my take is that Region I players are being trained by a Trini coach...so perhaps this area is comparable...beyond this, these players are also exposed to working with coaches from multiple football backgrounds as compared to who the Trini players are exposed to.
The bottom line is that the experience (eye opener) of playing in this type of tournament or any other kind of tournament outside of Trinidad and the Caribbean should have a positive effect on the players and coaches in terms of development. The staff have a unique opportunity to take alot of things from this trip and use it as a tool to help them create a better environment for the players they are working with. I would like to see the coaches do an analysis of the trip; identify key critical areas for immediate focus ; short and long term developmental goals for these players both individually and collectively. Then identify what's the next challenge for the players before the tournament this summer. They have three months to prepare this team...not much time so strategic planning and immediate implimentation has to be a priority.
PS: playing practice matches against local U-15 boys is good once in a while, but it is not overall benificial for female players...particularly from a psychological standpoint. They need to be tested against their peer group as well...take the players to Miami and play some of the club teams there or the Florida ODP team...I guarantee they'll get some stiff competition. Take the team to South Carolina and have them play against SC; NC; GA; AL; TN odp teams.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »
I wanted to make sure that I was not vague by giving more specifics. So I will break down what these girls are up against as well as how we put our players in similar situations. We divide the country in 4 regions. So presently our U-17's  are playing against the US regional 17 teams( which is made of players between the ages of 15 and 16) . When the Region I team were 13 and under my direction we played only teams that were older than us. As Maxg Pointed out these players are constantly undergoing training to develop there technical and tactical development. Every year over the past three years we took them to places like Brazil as well as various other European countries, to play against either older national teams or national teams their own age group. All the while these girls are working with a psychologist, nutritionist and are exposed to various fitness regiments. This event in Costa Rica is being used as an evaluation event. How comfortable are the girls playing in this region of the world.  How did they handle the food? How do they stack up against some of these older teams from this region? etc
Every time we travel we collect data with the hope we will be better for it as a region the next time around. We are trying to get as many of our players on the youth national teams. So all of these events are necessary for us. I purposely stayed away from making any comments about our national team program in Trinidad. However, i agree with some of the administrative issues off the field that some of you all feel affects what goes on on the field I have been involved with the women's game now for 18 years. During that time I have been working with the US Region I program for 10 years and the US youth national team program for 3 years. All your points/criticism are well taken.

As the one brother said there is a lot that goes into the planning and development of these players/team. I know our womens team are getting better in Trini. However, we just have to continue to do more to ensure that they continue to grow and develop as citizens and players of this great game.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
SOME GOOD POINTS CK1

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »

You're comparing apples with oranges.

Who says the girls have to pass the college exam anyway?

Maybe is because Elan watching it on TV and prefer not to see us get a cutass?

How am I comparing apples to oranges? Come on stay sharp...........in order to go from one level to the next there must be a gradual progression from one stage to the next. Learning to pass a ball properly and successfully before you can teach how to play combinations effectively is directly related and dependent on a player's technical ability. Similiar to taking a freshman class before taking an upper level class.

If you cannot pass the college exit exam how are you going to get your diploma? Just as ....you cannot pass a ball properly you should not be playing on a national team.

I don't really care about the score much. Where in my post have you seen me harp on the score? I have been emphasizing proper development over just playing because we can. Getting a cutass when you can play is one thing. Getting a cutass when you cannot play is something else.

Omar can you tell me what is the demand of player development.

I wanted to make sure that I was not vague by giving more specifics. So I will break down what these girls are up against as well as how we put our players in similar situations. We divide the country in 4 regions. So presently our U-17's  are playing against the US regional 17 teams( which is made of players between the ages of 15 and 16) . When the Region I team were 13 and under my direction we played only teams that were older than us. As Maxg Pointed out these players are constantly undergoing training to develop there technical and tactical development. Every year over the past three years we took them to places like Brazil as well as various other European countries, to play against either older national teams or national teams their own age group. All the while these girls are working with a psychologist, nutritionist and are exposed to various fitness regiments. This event in Costa Rica is being used as an evaluation event. How comfortable are the girls playing in this region of the world.  How did they handle the food? How do they stack up against some of these older teams from this region? etc
Every time we travel we collect data with the hope we will be better for it as a region the next time around. We are trying to get as many of our players on the youth national teams. So all of these events are necessary for us. I purposely stayed away from making any comments about our national team program in Trinidad. However, i agree with some of the administrative issues off the field that some of you all feel affects what goes on on the field I have been involved with the women's game now for 18 years. During that time I have been working with the US Region I program for 10 years and the US youth national team program for 3 years. All your points/criticism are well taken.

As the one brother said there is a lot that goes into the planning and development of these players/team. I know our womens team are getting better in Trini. However, we just have to continue to do more to ensure that they continue to grow and develop as citizens and players of this great game.

Why does the ODP program has such a systematic program for selecting players? Is is not to have the best players possible representing the USA? The program is considered an elite program, why? Do you select players who lack technical ability? Why is there district traing at the state level, then state pool training, prior to selecting the state team?

I know back home we cannot exactly replicate the program. We can however take steps to assist in the development of our players.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
There is so much here to be considered beyond the results as it relates to the development of the players. Within the US structure there are some states who do not have the same number of players as other states so they consistantly get crushed by other state teams, but that does not deter them from going to compete at Region Camp in the summer. The approach is to consistantly provide an environment for their players to compete against the best and only the strong survive. The reality is that this is a comparison of apples and oranges...the physical development of the players is another factor...my 11 year old daughter is bigger and stronger than the average 15 year old Trini; one may argue that size should not be a factor, but in female football at this age...size and athleticism is a huge factor; individual and collective maturity (psychological dimention) is another factor. Elan is asking the question of comparison of the technical ability of the Trini players to the Region I players...well my take is that Region I players are being trained by a Trini coach...so perhaps this area is comparable...beyond this, these players are also exposed to working with coaches from multiple football backgrounds as compared to who the Trini players are exposed to.
The bottom line is that the experience (eye opener) of playing in this type of tournament or any other kind of tournament outside of Trinidad and the Caribbean should have a positive effect on the players and coaches in terms of development. The staff have a unique opportunity to take alot of things from this trip and use it as a tool to help them create a better environment for the players they are working with. I would like to see the coaches do an analysis of the trip; identify key critical areas for immediate focus ; short and long term developmental goals for these players both individually and collectively. Then identify what's the next challenge for the players before the tournament this summer. They have three months to prepare this team...not much time so strategic planning and immediate implimentation has to be a priority.
PS: playing practice matches against local U-15 boys is good once in a while, but it is not overall benificial for female players...particularly from a psychological standpoint. They need to be tested against their peer group as well...take the players to Miami and play some of the club teams there or the Florida ODP team...I guarantee they'll get some stiff competition. Take the team to South Carolina and have them play against SC; NC; GA; AL; TN odp teams.

I agree with a lot here, my point is, Playing a team in SC;NC etc...would provide a way better positive learning effects than accepting an invitation to play even an al-star team from those regions...nb: as hinted before, this was one of few suggestions to the coach at the last U17 Concacaf tornament - where the majority of our now senior team got , 10+ goals from Canada & US. And they were at the time stronger than this group...The straight response then was, "I have a US, England & Brazil cert. I know what it takes "   :salute:

nnyman, your expertise is well taken and respected, but again you are talking about measured evaluation, and steps towards improvement, in a continually adjusting program, which is found to be necessary, and thus afforded by the more successful countries in this sport arena. I know for a fact, this rarely exist in T&T, most especially in the womens game...
Only a feeling now, no fact or head on a block  -  with the strength/age of our present Women's senior Team, more than 80 % of this present crop of Juniors would soon give up the game,(wheter to concentrate on other things - real life) and we may only get 1 or 2 that would stick and continue to help develop, encourage the sport amongst more junior players....and it not because of their lack of desire, as much as lack encouragement, technical and practical.

"All the while these girls are working with a psychologist, nutritionist and are exposed to various fitness regiments."

These things are not happening, wheter due to not enough interest and thus lack of funding, or some other factor...1 thing I can't knock tho is there is definately some continuity in the present coaching pool, yet is that why we keep making the same mistakes..

An ex-Senior Prov. Team coach(not SH) once expressed to me, given the state of the National program, he doesn't have time to work on basics at the Junior Provincial  level, as he only has the team together very infrequently (club & National team breaks) , and for a short stint..So he bases his selections(not exclusively) on high basic ability. He is aware that he may lose 1 or 2 talented athletes, but he always has a strong, relatively successful  Provincial Team...
Ah wonder if the new TD of Canada could afford us ah comment ?

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
SOME GOOD POINTS CK1

Thanks my brother...like your vibes too.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
Ah like this quote here........
In the Caribbean the true success story is Jamaica with what they have done and continue to do in the world of sports.  Jamaica is developing a lot of talent at home.  The Jamaica team in the Gold Cup is the Under 17 from under Simones.  They are reaping the rewards.  A number of the other islands are following suit.  I am not sure what are the reasons behind the Jamaicans continuous progress in sports, but we could learn a thing or two from them since I don't buy the argument that any one country has more natural talent than another.

Cuba is an anomaly since they had a very high Sports development program before the end of the Cold War.  Given the right resources, they can quickly return to the top since they have the experience and knowledge of how to develop athletic talent.
We Trinbagonians on the other hand continue to want to bake cake without letting the oven get hot enough to bake the damn cake. At the same time, these same set a thinkers want First World country status, go figure.  When will we learn that Money cah buy everything.  Which is what I think you are alluding to Touches.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=35235.msg17180#msg17180

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
[td]Why does the ODP program has such a systematic program for selecting players? Is is not to have the best players possible representing the USA? The program is considered an elite program, why? Do you select players who lack technical ability? Why is there district traing at the state level, then state pool training, prior to selecting the state team?

I know back home we cannot exactly replicate the program. We can however take steps to assist in the development of our players. [/td]

The ODP program has a systematic program for selecting players because it is the main feeder program for the US youth and full national teams eventually. It is considered an elite program because its hope is to draw some of the best young players in the country.  As far as selecting players who lack technical abilities? I would like to share some insight into this. When the players first come into the program as U-13;s it is my responsibility to select first the kids who are considered the best footballers( good technical skills set- quality ball control, quality first touch not just stationary but on the run, comfortable receiving balls out the air coachability etc.) then we look at players with special qualities. So she may be lacking certain technicaal abilities but she is extremely fast, good 1v1 defender, strikes the Ball well. displays good tactical awareness very good in the air etc. If we feel these players are coachable we select them.

some of the best players in the country are not involved but we still find them through evaluations at youth club tournaments/games. The district state training is often used as an identification process for the state teams. The players who are identified are recommended to their state associations.

I agree with your last statement as well brother

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
whaz the scores on the last 2 games?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
Region I vs. Trinidad and Tobago; 5:0

Overcoming what seemed to be a slower than usual pace to start the game, Region I regained momentum to capture a 5:0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago. A lead pass in the 29th minute by Kristi Abbate to teammate Allie Walton, netted the first goal for Region I. Abbate went for a second assist of the game when, out of the middle, she hit Barb Platenburg who successfully shot the ball past the six foot tall goalie in the 43rd minute.

A directed halftime talk about picking up the pace resonated with the team, and set the team into action. In the 56th minute, a free kick from 35 yards out by Katy Colas put the ball in the upper 90 for the first goal of the second half. Karin Simonian powered her way past a defender to put the ball in the net in the 63rd minute. Dribbling through three defenders, Cassie Pecht put the ball away to complete the 5:0 victory.

"We were working on how to control the speed of play and that is something that we need to practice. Both teams started slow and then Region I picked it up and scored. Afterwards we should have slowed down, but we kept the fast speed," said US Youth Soccer ODP Region I Coach Peye Garcia. "Tomorrow against Honduras we will work at the speed. The kids have to leave here knowing that playing here is different than in the U.S. At home we can place fast the whole time. Here to control the speed and know when to change it is key."

Region II vs. Honduras; 7:2
Region III vs. Costa Rica; 0:0
Region IV vs. Chile; 1:5

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
Final day match scores:

Region I vs. Honduras; 2:0
Region II vs. Costa Rica; 0:3
Region III vs. Chile; 2:2
Region IV vs. Trinidad and Tobago; 9:0

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 12:26:52 AM »
Charles: Plenty work to do
T&T U-17s exposed in Costa Rica
Ian Prescott iprescott@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, April 19th 2008

Regular play needed: T&T Under-17 coach Marlon Charles...the work has only just begun.
Marlon Charles always maintained that the work had just begun when his junior "Soca Princeses" swept through their Caribbean Group B Under-17 qualifying series a month ago.

Now, after participating in an eight-team international tournament in Costa Rica last week, the national women's coach knows that lots of work have to be done before Trinidad and Tobago host the CONCACAF final round qualifying series for the 2008 FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup tournament in three months' time.

"First of all, we didn't win any matches (in Costa Rica)," Charles declared. "From the moment the first ball was kicked...in the very first match against one of the American teams, some of our girls were struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. Some of the good, young players we had simply did not have the physical strength to play at that level. With these small, skilful players, we saw that as soon as bigger girls put a body on them, that was it. They could do nothing."

The junior Soca Princesses left Trinidad as an unbeaten bunch after cruising through their Caribbean Group B qualifiers, where they beat Grenada (4-0), St Kitts-Nevis (6-0) and Suriname (7-0). But playing against tougher teams from South, Central and North America, the T&T girls struggled.

Chile, hosts of South America's Under-20 qualifiers, had their Under-20 squad at the tournament, as did Honduras and Costa Rica. The Americans sent four teams.

Trinidad and Tobago had the youngest team in the tournament, including players such as 12-year-old Form One student Jonelle Warwick.

Chile handed T&T their biggest defeat, winning 9-1, while all four American teams won by at least six-goal margins.

The best Trinidad and Tobago result was a 5-2 defeat to the Costa Rica U-20s, while the game against Honduras was washed out by bad weather.

Charles was frank, stating that the problem was not just playing against older teams. He said his girls simply struggled to deal with the pace and the intensity of football at a higher level.

Trinidad and Tobago also suffered a goalkeeping crisis and halfway through the tournament put a tall defender in goal.

Charles said it was important that the goalkeeping improve before T&T host the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifiers in July.

"Everything that went to goal scored," Charles said. "Eventually, we took the chance to put Daystar Swift in the goal. Although she is a defender, she is over six feet tall, so we hoped to at least cut out the crosses. Since then, she said that is where she wanted to play in the first place.

"So, we spoke to (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation technical director and former national goalkeeper) Lincoln Phillips and we are trying to arrange for him to work with her. We are also looking at a girl in North Carolina, who has been recommended to us...and to also improve the current keepers."

Despite the heavy defeats, the national coach felt the experience was beneficial to his charges.

The team resume training today, hoping to step up on what they had done previously. Charles also hopes to have another stiff test before the CONCACAF qualifying kicks off.

"As a coach, I am seeing that we need to be in this tougher enviroment," said Charles. "I think going to Costa Rica was an opportunity for these girls to grow...and I think they did grow. They are tougher players now, because as the tournament went on, we began to get better.

"We need to play regularly at this next level...not just in tournaments, but at all levels. The experience was good for the young girls, because they saw the level they have to reach. Playing against teams like Grenada and St Kitts will do nothing for us."

1]; } ?>