May 31, 2024, 11:11:21 PM

Author Topic: BOLDON ADMITS HE MISREAD BOLT'S CELEBRATION  (Read 1949 times)

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
BOLDON ADMITS HE MISREAD BOLT'S CELEBRATION
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:58:00 AM »
Ato admits he misread the Bolt celebration
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:14

Curry goat, Bora and Boldon

Bryan Cummings
Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Yes, you are reading correctly. I am in China and I am talking about curry goat.

You see, the Jamaican-born executive chef, Obrian Tingling, had curry goat on the menu for lunch in the main press centre. I was very surprised when I saw it and Lance Whittiker (formally of RJR Sports but who now works for CMC) said that it was the best curry goat that he has had in years.

I ran into former Reggae Boyz football coach Bora Milutinovic in the same dining room the day after Frazer and company had won medals in the 100 metres. He said that he was extremely happy for Jamaica's success but admitted that he had wanted Asafa to win the Men's 100. He said that Asafa was "such a nice guy".

Since we are still in the dining room, our eating patterns have dramatically changed. When we first arrived in China, Kayon Raynor and I would be up bright and early to have breakfast. They offered a wide choice of foods for us to eat and we even looked forward to eating the morning meal.

That, however, has changed in the last five days. We have no idea what breakfast looks like. None of us has had any.

You see, for the last five days since track & field has started, we go to bed normally between 4:00-5:00 am China time and have to be at the stadium bright and early at 9:00 am the same morning.

We have no time to grab any because we are trying to get in as much sleep as possible. We eat lunch, and now eat dinner at about midnight China time after we leave that stadium late at night.

I ran into Ato Boldon in the stadium yesterday. We greeted each other and he brought up the subject that he had heard that he had stirred up a lot of emotions in Jamaica.

He mentioned to me that he had made some "on air" comments to the effect that Usain Bolt in celebrating his 100m victory before crossing that finish line was disrespecting his opponents.

I explained to him that Usain would never and did not disrespect anyone, but rather, was just being himself. I told him that all sprinters have to have some amount of attitude and Boldon at that point agreed with what I was saying by mentioning that he himself used to also have an attitude when he used to compete. I further explained to him that he had to remember that Bolt was still very young and still had a lot of "kid" left in him.

At that point Boldon backed down to admit that he did not know Usain that well and that he had misread his celebration.

This is the link:    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20080819T230000-0500_139243_OBS_CURRY_GOAT__BORA_AND_BOLDON_.asp

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: BOLDON ADMITS HE MISREAD BOLT'S CELEBRATION
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:18 AM »
It takes a big man.

Integrity is an admirable quality.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
Pack of lies. I had a short convo with the man, listened to him say Bolt is a kid who just having fun and I said well, I can understand that feeling, but this whole 'Ato backed down and realized the error of his ways in daring to have a dissenting opinion of our new star' angle they take is written by him, not me. I stand by my opinion, as always. I also never did and never would say I wanted Asafa to win - anyone see me pcik Asafa to win anything, ever?

Esp not with Richard, my client, in the race. Pure BS - a flat out lie in that article.

This chip on the shoulder is getting a little much now, and I am damn fed up. No one is out to 'get' Jamaica or Jamaicans. Bolt has made me look way smarter than I am on air, quite frankly, and I have every reason to admire and praise him. Enough already!

Mind you this is a very few who act like this - it's like the Jamaicans in NY booing Sanya Richards this year after she won the 400 the night Bolt broke the WR.....

Seriously? Sanya Richards should be booed by Jamaicans because she runs for the US? In 2008? Kenyans should boo Lagat? Everyone who doesnt run for the place they were born is a traitor to be booed???????????

Classless.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:05:52 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Pack of lies. I had a short convo with the man, listened to him say Bolt is a kid who just having fun and I said well, I can understand that feeling, but this whole 'Ato backed down and realized the error of his ways in daring to have a dissenting opinion of our new star' angle they take is written by him, not me. I stand by my opinion, as always. I also never did and never would say I wanted Asafa to win - anyone see me pcik Asafa to win anything, ever?

Esp not with Richard, my client, in the race. Pure BS - a flat out lie in that article.

This chip on the shoulder is getting a little much now, and I am damn fed up. No one is out to 'get' Jamaica or Jamaicans. Bolt has made me look way smarter than I am on air, quite frankly, and I have every reason to admire and praise him. Enough already!

Mind you this is a very few who act like this - it's like the Jamaicans in NY booing Sanya Richards this year after she won the 400 the night Bolt broke the WR.....

Seriously? Sanya Richards should be booed by Jamaicans because she runs for the US? In 2008? Kenyans should boo Lagat? Everyone who doesnt run for the place they were born is a traitor to be booed???????????

Classless.

lol... yuh know dis morning I read dis and I started typing up ah post saying that dis sounds like ah pack ah shit.  Ah say "Ato doh need no advocate, let him come handle he stories".

Glad to see ah wasn't wrong. 

Ato, fella... just focus on your job fuh de next however long and doh let dis be ah distraction.  If the opportunity comes to provide 10-15 secs of clarification on the Bolt issue while on the air, you might want to consider it.  Other than that doh even fight up...yuh cyah please everybody.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Ato yuh need to let the press know bout this (if you have not done already)..regardless if people agree or disagree with yuh, they have no right to  twist your words

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
I also never did and never would say I wanted Asafa to win - anyone see me pcik Asafa to win anything, ever?

not sure if you're talking about something else but I think in the article claims that Bora was the person who wanted Asafa to win.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »
Yeah a misread by me - that went to all the JA papers and TNT ones. I have to tell all that I think this 'accent controversy' is priceless.  Just when I think I have seen the most ignorance from my own people, they set a WR! I ent even goin into it.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
people like "aus einer Mücke einen Elefanten machen"
Doh dig nutten Ato
this too will pass
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>