May 22, 2024, 09:31:14 PM

Author Topic: Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge  (Read 2475 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
MIAMI (AFP) - A Florida judge has deemed unconstitutional a law banning baggy pants that show off the wearer's underwear, local media reported Tuesday.

A 17-year-old spent a night in jail last week after police arrested him for wearing low pants in Riviera Beach, southeast Florida.

The law banning so-called "saggy pants" was approved by city voters in March after supporters of the bill collected nearly 5,000 signatures to put the measure on the ballot.

The teen would have received a 150 dollars fine or community service, but he spent the night in jail due to a history of marijuana use, the Palm Beach Post newspaper said.

"Somebody help me," said Palm Beach Circuit Judge Paul Moyle, before giving his decision.

"We're not talking about exposure of buttocks. No! We're talking about someone who has on pants whose underwear are apparently visible to a police officer who then makes an arrest and the basis is he's then held overnight, no bond."

"Your honor, we now have the fashion police," added public defender Carol Bickerstaff, who asked the law be declared "unconstitutional."

The judge agreed with Bickerstaff immediately, reported the Post.

Laws that ban low-slung pants are on the books in several US cities, including Delcambre, Louisiana, where offenders can be fined up to 500 dollars or jailed for up to six months.

Dallas, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia are among the larger US cities considering similar measures.

So what else they will ban next, dreadlocks, men with earrings? Why they eh ban them tight ass Shirts and pants them lil boys wearing?

This should be illegal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
Florida just became a safer state
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »
I personally find that saggy pants style with half the boxer shorts exposed to be ridiculous- the youths iz look like they struggling to walk....that cyah be comfortable, but as long as there isn't indecent exposure then banning it by law seems an unfair stretch.  I live in the Lower East Side Manhattan which is one of the NYC hipster havens (tight jeans, leggings, purple hair, mohawks etc) and during the summertime the amount of bra-less breasts I's see flopping around in loose tank tops (not that I'm complaining  ;D)....but I'm sure there's no planned legal intervention...My guess is that there's a racial/socio-economic undertone corroding this issue.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:18:50 AM »
dem doh know style at all you ned to have a travelfox, a red levis with a rasta belt and a merino vest ...........now that is style
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
eh weary
you ent lie eh
people like Tallman can now walk the streets knowing that they will be safe

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
dat is as a result of too many "hurrycame an gorn" that they did have ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:03:19 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
But they take the homo-thug, metro-thug look to a next level now.

E.g...on synergy and them Jamaican dance crews or lil wayne in MTV or bet awards...he wearing a white pants.

But is so tight...it cyar pass over he thighs...so instead of a loose sag....they have a tight sag now.

It reach down here too, I see a youth in a tight pants below he waist with he drawers showing on frederick st...and kill him dead he is a gangster, but he looking like one hen.

Just like the youth wearing all pink in a intercol match I went to last year...and still the soldier had no girls.

Confused this generation is.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »
eh weary
you ent lie eh

The Irony was dat Tallman get pull over while strollin in he neighbour "hood" recently  :-[

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
eh weary
you ent lie eh

The Irony was dat Tallman get pull over while strollin in he neighbour "hood" recently  :-[
neighbour "hood" :rotfl: :rotfl:
good one
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:06:52 PM »

E.g...on synergy and them Jamaican dance crews or lil wayne in MTV or bet awards...he wearing a white pants.

But is so tight...it cyar pass over he thighs...so instead of a loose sag....they have a tight sag now.

I seein dat style plenty now...I eh know if it does help dem run any faster from police  ;)

Yuh know all ah we gettin old when we criticizing youth man fashions eh?.....yuh know how much ole talk I collect for mih name belt and shell toe adidas with fat laces.....leave de yoots
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:59:10 AM »

de amount of disapproving looks I use to get when I wore by bell bottom jump suit with platform running shoes .....  8)
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »

I seein dat style plenty now...I eh know if it does help dem run any faster from police  ;)

Yuh know all ah we gettin old when we criticizing youth man fashions eh?.....yuh know how much ole talk I collect for mih name belt and shell toe adidas with fat laces.....leave de yoots

it ha SOOOO much more things for de authorities to concern themselves wid in dis america eh jed and dais what dey focusing on? yo if dem youth want to dress like dat and look like idiot that's dey right, unless dey going to ah school dat have ah policy which bans it. i personally does geh meh kicks watching dem.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »

de amount of disapproving looks I use to get when I wore by bell bottom jump suit with platform running shoes .....  8)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: pecan, ah beg yuh ... doh kill meh here  :rotfl: woiiiii :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »

it ha SOOOO much more things for de authorities to concern themselves wid in dis america eh jed and dais what dey focusing on? yo if dem youth want to dress like dat and look like idiot that's dey right, unless dey going to ah school dat have ah policy which bans it. i personally does geh meh kicks watching dem.

Fashion-profiling plain and simple.  It was brought to my attention that at least one detention center prohibits entry to any visitor wearing long white tees. Buh, who we fooling? We all fashion profile, ent?

I hit the mall in my white tee
Ooh I think they like me or they like the diamonds cause they shine so brightly
Yeah u know i how i be under my tee it the wifey
'fo 'fo tucked tightly

Straight up. ;)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »

Nothing personal, but that's a rather tired and silly argument I hear all the time...especially from Trinis complaining about whichever gov't in power, but mainly it seems geared at Manning's gov't.  "So much crime in this country and all dey doing is putting up buildings"...etc.  Gov't shouldn't abandon one responsibility to focus exclusively on another, and performing in one arena while others lag shouldn't be an automatic indictment of the governments priorities.

As for this particular law... I dunno, but I thought this was already struck down last year??  Anyways, it's a silly law, but these are 'quality of life' issues for many smaller towns...and just because we don't think them priorities that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be on the list of priorities for others.

1]; } ?>