May 23, 2024, 07:05:36 AM

Author Topic: Travis Mulraine slams football clinics.  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Travis Mulraine slams football clinics.
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:31:24 AM »
Travis Mulraine slams football clinics.
By: Walter Alibey (Newsday).

Former national midfielder Travis Mulraine has called on footballers to “take stock of themselves” if the twin-island republic is to produce quality players and teams to contest World Cup qualifiers at all times.

His call comes on the heels of the recall of veteran midfielders Russell Latapy and former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke.

Mulraine, who plays for Joe Public Football Club maintained that the problem with local football is that players are “not tactically strong and technically intelligent”.

This according to Mulraine means that when foreign coaches come to Trinidad and Tobago they usually have to go back to the basics. “The return of Latapy and Yorke, despite the fact that they are extremely great players, tells you that the local players do not take stock of themselves,” Mulraine said.

He said that international coaches usually focus on “structure”, and added, that if the players are unable to master the skills of the game then they must go back to the basics.

This he said should be the responsibility of the players if they are to give maximum performance on the field at all times.

“Players should take stock of themselves and do proper assessments to determine their skill level and what areas need working on,” Mulraine said.

Mulraine who just missed out on a contract abroad in 1996, said that during his playing days at several local clubs, he had seen players go to party the night before training and matches and attend the sessions either intoxicated or with a “hang-over.”

He called on players to take care of their bodies and be watchful of their diet. “These are important factors if players are to get the most of themselves during matches,” he added.

Mulraine also knocked local coaches for their lack of education in the game, particularly at the basic levels.

This he blamed on the lack of “technically and tactically sound” players that are being produced today.

“The many coaching academies have failed us because most of them turn out to be baby-sitting sessions where parents drop off their children at these session as an avenue where they can be kept rather than where they can learn football skills,” Mulraine noted.

He suggested the sport to be taught at the primary school level before being reinforced in the secondary schools.

Mulraine also wants the media to limit the amount of publicity which have been given to secondary schools’ football.

He said because of the level of publicity, players graduate from schools with the ratings of a top footballer when they are not.

Mulraine, a defensive midfielder also wants the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to ban all international tournaments for players between 12 and 16-years-old saying those years should be set aside for “total development”.

“Development for young players should take place from the primary and secondary schools. When this development takes place then there can be international tournaments for national players at the Under-17 level,” Mulraine added.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Travis Mulraine slams football clinics.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
Wha de ass wrong with Wim boy? Steups.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
lol

He makes some good points, but he talk some shit too.

I remember when he fling de referee card book out of his hand and kick away de ball in a PFL game......lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »
Wha de ass wrong with Wim boy? Steups.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
I wouldn't ban international competition for players 12 - 16 though. I agree with him on everything else especially about training at primary school level.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:43 AM »
Fact is...we have NOTHING like what serious football nations have to develop youths at a systematic level. We have no full time academies...we dont have defined performance levels.....we barely have a serious concern in developing players. So if yuh foundation poor..wha kinda house yuh expect? Buh nah......we's de most naturally talented country aside from Brazil...so we eh need to develop players. When 2024 reach..by den cloning go be available..we go clone latas yorke and stern and we good.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
Not bad but I disagree with banning them from international tournaments at that age...how the hell you'll know what level they at if they not exposed to the level at that age to see where they at and to see where they need to go....Ill give him a 7 out of 10....
ps I suspect that last statement was a result of the beating he get from Shawn Garcia a few years ago lol ....the man run into Shawn Garcia ? obviously the youth brain damaged lol why would you run head first into a gmc truck...lol
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:30:25 AM by Ngozi »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:40:26 AM »
ps I suspect that last statement was a result of the beating he get from Shawn Garcia a few years ago lol ....the man run into Shawn Garcia ? obviously the youth brain damaged lol why would you run head first into a gmc truck...lol

Yuh sure is not Ian Gray yuh talking bout?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »
What beside carnival we serious bout?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »

lol nah is Garcia ...Garcia was playing for defense force at the time...he may have run into gray some other time though feel free  to enlighten us I know Mulraine was lil ignorant...wanna fight everybody

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »

lol nah is Garcia ...Garcia was playing for defense force at the time...he may have run into gray some other time though feel free  to enlighten us I know Mulraine was lil ignorant...wanna fight everybody
Mulraine did get ah six-match ban three years ago for his part in de melee dat happen after Fenwick did elbow Gefferson Goulart. Ah understand dat Ian Gray did floor Mulraine when he rest ah hand on him.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »

Mulraine did get ah six-match ban three years ago for his part in de melee dat happen after Fenwick did elbow Gefferson Goulart. Ah understand dat Ian Gray did floor Mulraine when he rest ah hand on him.

lol I remember reading bout that...I remember Gray was a big red man who used to play defense for jabloteh ...Mulraine is presshah we lol..Apparently with garcia they get into alil thing on the field in PSA ground and Garcia pick him up and slam him WWF style ......I understood it was two hits....well actually one..... a pickup and when Mulraine hit the floor ..a very abrupt encounter lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »

lol I remember reading bout that...I remember Gray was a big red man who used to play defense for jabloteh ...Mulraine is presshah we lol..Apparently with garcia they get into alil thing on the field in PSA ground and Garcia pick him up and slam him WWF style ......I understood it was two hits....well actually one..... a pickup and when Mulraine hit the floor ..a very abrupt encounter lol

Anybody who watch Shawn G. and rush into him breathless have real belly...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
allyuh and these unrealistic expectations

all i want is for no carribbean team to beat we and i good. also when we playing usa and mexico fuh draws and respectable scorelines.

if you waiting fuh we to win the world cu hold yuh breath
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
Travis...you damn right ...I don't think local coached cut it and local players.....just look at the standard of play...they start of slow....they need to learn to up the tempo...lack of depending....reading  and tackling properly...midfield holding possession ....soring goal and stop kicking the ball like fieldgoal

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »
Not bad but I disagree with banning them from international tournaments at that age...how the hell you'll know what level they at if they not exposed to the level at that age to see where they at and to see where they need to go....Ill give him a 7 out of 10....
well i have to confirm that i just talk to shawn and he said this situation never happen he and travis is friends up to this day...... but its was funny :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
All American

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »
I said before we try to get players to "play football" to early. Have they reduced the size of field and number of players for primary school football yet?
As I said before we need to introduce the rolling sub method, in an effort to get players to play faster. If a player can play for 20-30 minutes hard and get a rest, he/she can most always play at a maximum level, reducing the amount of mistakes by not being tired on the field or saving themselves to run the 90.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
well i have to confirm that i just talk to shawn and he said this situation never happen he and travis is friends up to this day...... but its was funny :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hmmmm u surreeeee about that  I know garcia isnt a violent guy  but I dooo seem to recall that spat ..u sure shawn just doh wah play it down lol .....i know garcia was playing with defense force and i know it was mulraine ...but i guess if i was mistaken then so be it ...but i dont think i am....lol anyway

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
Interesting how this thread derail from a post about the failure of our players to display basic football skills and the failure of our coaches to develop them, to mulraine character and him having a altercation wit shaun garcia.

We does consistently miss de forest fuh de trees.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
I said before we try to get players to "play football" to early. Have they reduced the size of field and number of players for primary school football yet?
As I said before we need to introduce the rolling sub method, in an effort to get players to play faster. If a player can play for 20-30 minutes hard and get a rest, he/she can most always play at a maximum level, reducing the amount of mistakes by not being tired on the field or saving themselves to run the 90.

The rolling subs method (even above this age group) allows more players to experience competitive action. That's a plus. It also allows the coach to pull a player, have a tactical exchange with the player, and then put him back on to execute.

However, I think questions remain regarding fitness across the board in this system. And, in my opinion, a significant number of players don't play hard for 20-30 ... a few do, and many play well within themselves. (I'm not challenging your point as to benefit, but merely highlighting that sometimes over 20 minutes may be too long for some players to remain on the field under this set-up, regardless of whether they bun or not ... it's also an issue of concentrating for that time period).

Obviously, spot on with respect to field size and numbers.

I know it may sound like heresy, but my opinion on this has evolved over time ... yeah rolling subs may produce a different tactical dividend in the SSFL as we know it, but it's a useful consideration in the face of some of the nuggets of truth dropped by Mulraine.

As far as international competition ... I wonder whether he's strictly opposed to age-group national team play or also opposed to teams in that bracket playing club level competition abroad.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:08:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »
LOL...Palos ah Luv it!!!

ah totally agree with travis on this one though. we does pay too much attention to the SSFL and rate players out of this league. the SSFL coaching as well is not geared to better any players in most cases, its to win games and their respective zones, and outside of that, the youths have no foundation to learn the basics and fundamentals. as far as the tournaments for the u12 boys, i agree with him that we should not push these youngsters on that stage as yet. if the TTFF can set up a proper academy structure in trinidad and tobago then these different academies can play each other at that level. from those acadmies, you can start to identify your quality players to represent us at the u16 or u17 levels. thats the only way we can start grooming the quality players we need for the future!!  :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »

daiz same shawn garcia who was in QRC round 91-94? dem was pardners.

Last time i spoke to Travis he really serious about the development of the youths and he wants to go into coaching. The same thing he say there, he told me about 1 and a half months ago.
He told me he was doing coaching courses and if i remember correctly he spoke about attending UWI to learn about proper coaching.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
I was trying hard not to say any thing on here but all these guys trying to say here is what goes on at the Youth Soccer level in the US,it's programs designed by the USSF,it deals with being age appropriate,size of ball,size of field,time of games,unlimited subs at club and HS level,subs go in and out on a regular basis,this might be new to T&T BUT it's going on the US years now,i remember peeps on here being critical of the US for having unlimited substitution,the thing is don't matter how they run their Soccer they are successful with it because they produce some of the best Youth teams around.

We have kids playing with size 5 balls at the Youth level,they don't even allow kids to head balls here unless they are a certain age,what skills could kids develop using a ball that size,playing on fields that big,GK in full size Goal etc i've always said we need to design programs to suit T&T,we don't have access to what the US have,it's everybody using the same size field because they can't have a field for the different ages.

It's nice to talk about all these things but the problem is implementing them,it's bigger than we really think,from what i understand on this forum we don't have qualified personnel to do it,the bottom line is to develop Football in T&T it going to cost,the difference in the US is everybody that plays Football has to pay in T&T it have to be free,we don't even want to pay local Coaches but will give the foreign Coach mucho dollars.

I remember the last time i was home i remember talking to Ken Butcher concerning what options it have for coaching with their organization and what stuck with me was when he said the Coaches they are hiring were foreign Coaches,they are trying to hire a Coach for every sport that's their aim,with the intention of that person developing our programs,training Coaches etc etc i don't know how far they are with it or how many sporting organizations have Coaches.       

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
LOL...Palos ah Luv it!!!

ah totally agree with travis on this one though. we does pay too much attention to the SSFL and rate players out of this league. the SSFL coaching as well is not geared to better any players in most cases, its to win games and their respective zones, and outside of that, the youths have no foundation to learn the basics and fundamentals. as far as the tournaments for the u12 boys, i agree with him that we should not push these youngsters on that stage as yet. if the TTFF can set up a proper academy structure in trinidad and tobago then these different academies can play each other at that level. from those acadmies, you can start to identify your quality players to represent us at the u16 or u17 levels. thats the only way we can start grooming the quality players we need for the future!!  :beermug: :beermug:

So Fordy if we wait until shaqui is 15 or 16 you don't think he will lose the benefits of being exposed at his age of 11?...Mulraine making sense except on the restricting international exposure at a young age....
ps. I suspect after Garcia  gave him the figure 8 it restricted the blood flow up to that point lol lil cloudy lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
Palos

Agree wit Travis u agree dat we football in d toilet we luv denial in these parts
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »

Last time i spoke to Travis he really serious about the development of the youths and he wants to go into coaching. The same thing he say there, he told me about 1 and a half months ago.
He told me he was doing coaching courses and if i remember correctly he spoke about attending UWI to learn about proper coaching.

yeah sammy thats the same Shawn Garcia! and i totally agree with Travis. When i went to see we play last week end, looking at the teams that was there (mexico, Chelsea and St Benidicts Prep) we look the most inexperience and clueless about teh game as a team. There were individual players that can play but as a team getting 7-0 at any level is totally embarrassing and for many years now we saying things need to change and what? Nothing!......  :beermug: :beermug:
All American

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »

yeah sammy thats the same Shawn Garcia! and i totally agree with Travis. When i went to see we play last week end, looking at the teams that was there (mexico, Chelsea and St Benidicts Prep) we look the most inexperience and clueless about teh game as a team. There were individual players that can play but as a team getting 7-0 at any level is totally embarrassing and for many years now we saying things need to change and what? Nothing!......  :beermug: :beermug:

Yeah but as bad as the results were if they hadnt been exposed to it they wouldnt know where they stand the key is whats to be done to get them up to scratch ...I maintain that trini teams don't train very hard its more like a sweat...a more professional and scientific approach needs to be adopted ...but I guess tat easy to say in that i know what I would do and implement but maybe the local coaches don't like how hard to push the kids what to work on and intensity.... I remember training under Jan Steadman and believe me you were pushed to your limits and when I came up to college also very intense but playing club ball in TT the training was very lax... Coaches individually need to step up and kids gotta get serious....the American parents up her cyah play a lick of ball but they serious bout pushing they kids because they believe that their kids need to be the best they believe that it's their rightful place.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
LOL...Palos ah Luv it!!!

So Fordy if we wait until shaqui is 15 or 16 you don't think he will lose the benefits of being exposed at his age of 11?...Mulraine making sense except on the restricting international exposure at a young age....
ps. I suspect after Garcia  gave him the figure 8 it restricted the blood flow up to that point lol lil cloudy lol

im not saying for him to be at home watching TV until he reach 16. all im saying is that there is no need for players between 9 and 12 to be playing on an international stage. academy soccer is the righteous soccer for that age group. this is where they learn to deal with personality differences, bad officiating, developing their technique, learning the eb and flow of a game (when to speed it up and slow it down)...stuff like that. when they on that international stage its all about winning...win at all cost! it does no good for the player as an individual in his/her development. and this is the problem we are seeing at the intercol level. kids are being thrown into the limelight as big players and they cant even make a proper 20 yard pass to another player.  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

1]; } ?>