May 22, 2024, 11:48:22 PM

Author Topic: The pros get schooled ... US generation next coaches ramping up  (Read 3461 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The pros get schooled ... US generation next coaches ramping up
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
Current and Former Professional Players Highlight "B" License Course at The Home Depot Center 
# Almost 600 Men's National Team Caps Represented by Those Players in Attendance

CHICAGO (Dec. 23, 2008) – The largest collection of current and former professional players participated in a U.S. Soccer “B” license coaching course from Dec. 10-18 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. With assistance from Major League Soccer Players’ Association, U.S .Soccer arranged the coaching course around the Major League Soccer calendar.

U.S. Soccer National Staff Coaches Roberto Lopez and Rene Miramontes ran the nine-day National “B” License Course, which is designed to introduce concepts that are targeted toward coaching players age 16 to college level. The National “B” License focuses on recognizing the principles of the game and its technical applications in 9v9 game situations.

Out of the 31 participants, 29 were current or former professional soccer players.
Cobi Jones, Kasey Keller, Alexi Lalas and Claudio Reyna, four of the top 12 all-time cap leaders for the Men’s National Team, attended the course. In total, the players in attendance earned 592 caps for the Men’s National Team.

“The main goal of the week has been showing the difference between playing and instructing,”
said National Staff Coach Rene Miramontes. “The structure is organized so that these guys can get their coaching points and get their teaching in within the frame of the game, but in a sequential and organized kind of a way.”

Throughout the week, the instructors give candidates practical lessons on setting up individual training sessions, as well as building towards game day.

“You’re used to just being told what to do, said Keller.  “You can see the points, but then how do you put it all together and find that progression starting from a warm-up and getting to a game. For me it has been very informative.”

The curriculum focuses on specific topics such as midfield defending, finishing, goalkeeping, and other technical and tactical aspects of the game.  Candidates are then required to devise and conduct training sessions on their own.  The course also provides training in nutrition, strength and conditioning, and sports psychology.

“As a player you do not often see the big picture, and I think the best part of being here this week as a former player is understanding to see more then just your own area of the field or the position you play in when you out there,” said former Men’s National Team captain Claudio Reyna. “It has been very informative, very educational, and a lot fun, but above all it’s just seeing the overall big picture when you are on the sidelines and also running a training session leading up to a game.”

The candidates were also given special presentations by U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Bob Bradley and the Director of Scouting for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, Tony Lepore.

With so much experience at the professional and international level, the transition of players into the coaching ranks can only be a benefit to the future of soccer in the United States.  While not all great players make great coaches, the nine days in Carson demonstrated that there is plenty of talent to develop.

“I think what I have been most impressed with is how willing they are to learn, how humble they have been, and what an interest they have taken in the coaching organization side of things,” said the lead instructor for the course, Roberto Lopez. “We tried to have the players take from their playing careers and transfer that into organized and structured training sessions. They have all had terrific experiences, and I think we can all agree that having them take part in this course and continue with the game is in our sport’s best interest.”

List of attendees

Pierre Barrieu
Ronald Cerritos
Jimmy Conrad
Paul Dalglish
Todd Dunivant
Adam Frye
Taylor Graham
Kevin Hartman
Ezra Hendrickson
Danny Jackson
Ante Jazic
Kasey Keller
Jovan Kirovski
Cobi Jones
Alexi Lalas
Roger Levesque
Michael Munoz
Arturo Norambuena
Kevin Nylen
Matt Reis
Claudio Reyna
Jorge Rodriguez
Jacob Sagare
Kevin Sakuda
Juergen Sommer
Scot Thompson
Seth Trembly
Sacha van der Most van Spijk
Greg Vanney
Jamil Walker
John Wolyniec

Ah scan de list and put de non-US players/former players in bold. Yes ... Dalglish is Kenny's son. Might have missed a Canuck somewhere.

Looks like Lalas say 'wtf, why not?' Big up to Ezra. Cobi ... thought he had ah B already. In de US just now it might be hard to even geh a lil college gig.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The pros get schooled ... US generation next coaches ramping up
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
What I take most from this is how little players know beyond their own roles.  Some may dismiss this as being particular to the American players... but I believe it's likely relevant to players in general. 

In light of a recent side discussion on here about who's more responsible for on the field results, players or the coach.  Some argued that players are armed with all the info and knowledge that they need, while some argued that players are in need of strategic guidance by the coach... and by implication, that the coach is more closely responsible for the performance on the field.

I think if anything, these comments by Keller et al offer some vindication of the latter perspective... players have the requisite skill to perform on the field, but need the wisdom and tactical guidance of the coach who (apparently) is more capable of seeing the bigger perspective on how team play should come together.  Players aren't completes absolved of blame for performance, but it's telling to note just how much they acknowledge their deficiencies and defer to knowledge of the coaches.

--------------

Lotsa names (recognizable) on that list Asylum... god-willing these learning opportunities will be available to Trini players once their playing days are done... and that theyd be aggressive in going after the opportunities as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:57:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
What I take most from this is how little players know beyond their own roles.  Some may dismiss this as being particular to the American players... but I believe it's likely relevant to players in general. 

In light of a recent side discussion on here about who's more responsible for on the field results, players or the coach.  Some argued that players are armed with all the info and knowledge that they need, while some argued that players are in need of strategic guidance by the coach... and by implication, that the coach is more closely responsible for the performance on the field.

I think if anything, these comments by Keller et al offer some vindication of the latter perspective... players have the requisite skill to perform on the field, but need the wisdom and tactical guidance of the coach who (apparently) is more capable of seeing the bigger perspective on how team play should come together.  Players aren't completes absolved of blame for performance, but it's telling to note just how much they acknowledge their deficiencies and defer to knowledge of the coaches.

--------------

Lotsa names (recognizable) on that list Asylum... god-willing these learning opportunities will be available to Trini players once their playing days are done... and that theyd be aggressive in going after the opportunities as well.

I find it relevant to the player-coach discussions as well.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
Is many colleges now asking for USSF A and B license. It have real college coaches have these license and can't see their way is licks going and coming from coaches without license.
The thing about these National courses is now I believe one of the reqesuite is that you can play and you are graded during the course on your playing ability. These courses can be very tough, is like a preseason work out.

T&T players can attend these courses, they have to spend some cash though.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:20:22 PM »
Elan...ah have serious issues with how you asked that question....what de f**k are you one of those bastardized americans...c'mon you're better than that..anyway although these players are getting their B licenses it does not necessarily mean that they can coach....there is a huge misnomer that equates good players into good coaches.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
Good post fellas: (just adding my two cents)

As a coach licensed by both the USSF and NSCAA, I can say that the courses are very useful, as well as informative and educational. Additionally, the networking contacts that can be developed at these courses are invaluable because if coaching is your profession, this is where you can meet and mingle with the movers and shakers within your field. There are nuff camp gigs, college jobs, national staff and state staff jobs that can be obtained, so it is definetely worth it.

I had the oppty to waive directly into a B but was advised to take all of the courses starting from the D level and I do not regret it at all. Most of the courses are designed to teach a coach HOW TO teach soccer in a progressive manner. It also helps coaches to identify problems within their system of play and how to devise creative solutions in an organised systemic manner, and this does not matter if you are dealing with a technical or tactical problem). Practices then become more efficient (Mourinho and Wenger are bosses at detailing and accounting for every second with their practices... down to water breaks). Coaches learn how to develop their ideas from simple to more complex systems of play and specific offensive, defensive and transitional principles are reinforced. If you were a player, these course can only help because it will naturally force you to see the game in a larger context (not that players do not think about these things but this type of analysis is common only as a player gets closer to the end of their career... look at Latas)

Playing is NOT a requirement at the courses but MOST instructors will grade you much more harshly if you do not participate (especially if you are not ill or injured). They will say that they do not but don't believe it. The average class size is about 25-35 candidates and while two coaches are being tested and graded, the other coaches make up the teams that play (and remember that you are playing for every coach's session) so thats why you have to be fit to take your C and B licenses. I took my B during a summer in Georgia and it ent easy running in that hot sun for hours upon end. The A involves far less running (field time) and much more time in the classroom and the management aspect of the team and game.

The avg cost is about $900 a course with a one year wait between each level. In my time, i have met a great deal of licensed coaches who don't know what the hell they are doing on a pitch but I highly advocate that you get the license if you plan to coach within the US because you WILL NOT be recognised no matter how great you are without it.

The US style of coaching is epitomised in how they organise their national teams. They believe very strongly in scientific training and approaches to fitness; they believe very strongly in organisation and structure (adherence to roles within the team concept) and they rarely ever stray from it. Creative improvisation is something they struggle with and this is currently a hot topic within US Soccer. They do a horrible job of teaching and fostering an environment where flair and creativity can thrive. Actually the football culture here in the US rebels against individuality (Kids are called ball hogs for dribbling and the multitude of parents at kid games the country over can often be heard to scream at younsters to pass the ball). The US is trying to chnge things now by sponsoring small sided games to increase their speed of play, rapidity of thought and decisionmaking and increase the oppty for touches on the ball.(read small goal... or if you want to be fancy; Futsal) Incidentally, we in TnT do the opposite of this... flair and creattivity is applauded to the detriment of organisation and systemic  approaches to play). I once saw a Ron La Forest session and it was diabolical in its application, and he was a national team coach at the time. In truth, great players do not always make great coaches.

I could go on but suffice it to say the courses are a worthwhile investment and so is the NSCAA Convention. It is the oldest and largest coaches convention in the world and it is a coach's dream because of the amount of sessions, seminars and the like on display by many of the top coaches in the world. This year it will be in St Louis MO and it will cost a small change to get there but it will be well worth it. Hope to see you all there because TnT need more coaches who can make a real difference to our football.

Peace,

Tseeker

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:36:31 PM »
Elan...ah have serious issues with how you asked that question....what de f**k are you one of those bastardized americans...c'mon you're better than that..anyway although these players are getting their B licenses it does not necessarily mean that they can coach....there is a huge misnomer that equates good players into good coaches.

What question I ask? Too much punch-a-creme or what?

Read my first statement, then check what you type.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »

As a coach licensed by both the USSF and NSCAA, I can say that the courses are very useful, as well as informative and educational. Additionally, the networking contacts that can be developed at these courses are invaluable because if coaching is your profession, this is where you can meet and mingle with the movers and shakers within your field. There are nuff camp gigs, college jobs, national staff and state staff jobs that can be obtained, so it is definetely worth it.

I had the oppty to waive directly into a B but was advised to take all of the courses starting from the D level and I do not regret it at all. Most of the courses are designed to teach a coach HOW TO teach soccer in a progressive manner. It also helps coaches to identify problems within their system of play and how to devise creative solutions in an organised systemic manner, and this does not matter if you are dealing with a technical or tactical problem). Practices then become more efficient (Mourinho and Wenger are bosses at detailing and accounting for every second with their practices... down to water breaks). Coaches learn how to develop their ideas from simple to more complex systems of play and specific offensive, defensive and transitional principles are reinforced. If you were a player, these course can only help because it will naturally force you to see the game in a larger context (not that players do not think about these things but this type of analysis is common only as a player gets closer to the end of their career... look at Latas)

Playing is NOT a requirement at the courses but MOST instructors will grade you much more harshly if you do not participate (especially if you are not ill or injured). They will say that they do not but don't believe it. The average class size is about 25-35 candidates and while two coaches are being tested and graded, the other coaches make up the teams that play (and remember that you are playing for every coach's session) so thats why you have to be fit to take your C and B licenses. I took my B during a summer in Georgia and it ent easy running in that hot sun for hours upon end. The A involves far less running (field time) and much more time in the classroom and the management aspect of the team and game.

The avg cost is about $900 a course with a one year wait between each level. In my time, i have met a great deal of licensed coaches who don't know what the hell they are doing on a pitch but I highly advocate that you get the license if you plan to coach within the US because you WILL NOT be recognised no matter how great you are without it.

The US style of coaching is epitomised in how they organise their national teams. They believe very strongly in scientific training and approaches to fitness; they believe very strongly in organisation and structure (adherence to roles within the team concept) and they rarely ever stray from it. Creative improvisation is something they struggle with and this is currently a hot topic within US Soccer. They do a horrible job of teaching and fostering an environment where flair and creativity can thrive. Actually the football culture here in the US rebels against individuality (Kids are called ball hogs for dribbling and the multitude of parents at kid games the country over can often be heard to scream at younsters to pass the ball). The US is trying to chnge things now by sponsoring small sided games to increase their speed of play, rapidity of thought and decisionmaking and increase the oppty for touches on the ball.(read small goal... or if you want to be fancy; Futsal) Incidentally, we in TnT do the opposite of this... flair and creattivity is applauded to the detriment of organisation and systemic  approaches to play). I once saw a Ron La Forest session and it was diabolical in its application, and he was a national team coach at the time. In truth, great players do not always make great coaches.

I could go on but suffice it to say the courses are a worthwhile investment and so is the NSCAA Convention. It is the oldest and largest coaches convention in the world and it is a coach's dream because of the amount of sessions, seminars and the like on display by many of the top coaches in the world. This year it will be in St Louis MO and it will cost a small change to get there but it will be well worth it. Hope to see you all there because TnT need more coaches who can make a real difference to our football.

Peace,

Tseeker

There are more positive than negative to attending and completing these license. It is of really great value in learning how to organize and manage a training session more efficiently. For me the cost has been a big deterrent, and as such I am way behind in acheiving my licenses. One problem I had with what they teach is that you don't correct a player if they were successful in the situation, even if they don't use proper technique. I strongly believe this encourages bad habits. The younger the player (8-up) the more the corrections should take place. The only thing you can't argue with is a goal and stopping a goal.
I correct my younger players a lot the older ones (17 up) I may let get away with successful play even if it's wrong. I have been to courses with coaches who are successful with youth soccer but could not coach there way out of a paper bag and it's astonishing to me.
As you say though seeker it is a must for people who want to take coaching seriously.

Truthseeker, let me ask you a question, do you coach at the courses the way you coach at your club, college or whereever yo coach? Or after you leave the courses do you change drastically your coaching methods?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
Ezra Hendrickson was a boss winger. I wish we did naturalize him from st vincent  ;D

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:07:54 AM »
Elan: How I coach depends on whom I'm  coaching. At the high school level, my training is far more economical because i have a limited time to teach, so by necessity i have to combine a lot of things in one. i still do heavily rely on introducing ideas along the simple to complex model though especially with younger players. Coaching at college, i do it differently. At ODP, I tend to combine both methods, but in all honesty, coaching is about being adaptable. I tend to coach in the flow a lot because most players ( I hated it too ) hate the stop and go aspect. i do most of my coaching during natural stoppages but will stop play and teach from the point of the ball if something needs correcting (especially if it is a point that I have addressed with the team repeatedly).

At the courses, they insist that you coach the way that they show you. If you decide to be a RENEGADE and do things your own way, they WILL FAIL YOU. No matter how great your ideas. They can be very rigid in this respect. In truth, there are many different approaches to coaching and it is best to judge the tree by the fruit that it bears.

Blessings

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »

Peace,

Tseeker

Good post.. thanks for sharing what the 'B' Licensure process entails. 

The past couple years I was encouraged to attend the NSCAA convention (by none other than Paul Caligiuri) first when it was in Philly in 2006 and then Indianapolis in 2007, unfortunately other committments kept me from attending, and the fact that I'm not pursuing coaching as a career made attending even less of a priority.  It would have been strictly for the networking opportunities which would have been helpful for promoting a foundation that I was pushing at the time.

How would you compare what you learnt/are learning within the USSF/NSCAA systems relative to what you learned during your stint at West Ham last year?  What do you see as the major similarities and differences?  I imagine that there's a divergence of philosophy in certain regards... if so, what might those be? 

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »

Peace,

Tseeker

Yes professor Tseeker. When you was run them sand dunes in Augaudilla and was cussin the daily Menotti's in preseason is only because Arnie wanted the speed of play to match the quality of the touches that he was killing yuh with the fitness.

On the real though. The major aspect of the higher license courses, where you in camp for about 10 days, is access to national Men, youth and women's coaches to just talk the game during a lunch or dinner break.  Also the study sessions when you preparing for your test or doing an assignment forces thought, planning, documentation and clear communication into coaching mix.

I could write a book like you but I will stop now.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »
Bake and Lightning:

Bake: I have learned a great deal from the NSCAA and USSF courses, though I think the NScaa does a better job of teaching. From my experience there, the instructors really go out of their way to help a candidate, though this is not to say that it won't happen with the Ussf. The main thing I have learned though is how to use all of the ideas i have in a systemic manner, which in the final analysis should lead to a real concise organized approach to thinking about and managing the game (and my players' development). The organization of ideas and how to best utilise various teaching methodologies are great gifts and the better you are able to make you players see and believe in your ideas, the more successful you will be.

Funny enough, what West Ham really taught me was that i was good enough to begin to coach on that level. It taught me to believe in myself because much of what i experienced were things that I had been doing already. But the belief is that at Prem level, the coaches must be doing something different to get their teams prepared: the main differences apparent were in intensity, speed of play, quality of thought and movement, and that fact that football there is operated as a business gives it a bit of a different dimension. Tony Carr told me that there are no secret formulas, strategies or the like, its the same basic drills with one or two tweaks because the core of our game still revolves around passing, receiving, dribbling etc... The most powerful insights i had at WH were really on the sports science side as it relates to preseason prep, rehab and recovery, soccer specific biomechanics  etc. It was an eye opener and I plan on returning in summer in time for preseason as the field is being transformed on a daily basis and there is sooo much to learn there.

PS: If you tell me how to attach a file i will include a session by Mourinho so you can see ho whe organises his sessions.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
Lightning: Aguadilla for preseason wasn't easy nah boy. But the ladies from Ponce and Bayamon always made it fun...lol

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
Bake and Lightning:

Bake: I have learned a great deal from the NSCAA and USSF courses, though I think the NScaa does a better job of teaching. From my experience there, the instructors really go out of their way to help a candidate, though this is not to say that it won't happen with the Ussf. The main thing I have learned though is how to use all of the ideas i have in a systemic manner, which in the final analysis should lead to a real concise organized approach to thinking about and managing the game (and my players' development). The organization of ideas and how to best utilise various teaching methodologies are great gifts and the better you are able to make you players see and believe in your ideas, the more successful you will be.

Funny enough, what West Ham really taught me was that i was good enough to begin to coach on that level. It taught me to believe in myself because much of what i experienced were things that I had been doing already. But the belief is that at Prem level, the coaches must be doing something different to get their teams prepared: the main differences apparent were in intensity, speed of play, quality of thought and movement, and that fact that football there is operated as a business gives it a bit of a different dimension. Tony Carr told me that there are no secret formulas, strategies or the like, its the same basic drills with one or two tweaks because the core of our game still revolves around passing, receiving, dribbling etc... The most powerful insights i had at WH were really on the sports science side as it relates to preseason prep, rehab and recovery, soccer specific biomechanics  etc. It was an eye opener and I plan on returning in summer in time for preseason as the field is being transformed on a daily basis and there is sooo much to learn there.

PS: If you tell me how to attach a file i will include a session by Mourinho so you can see ho whe organises his sessions.

great thread and very informative ...the stuff in here is so true but it is unfortunate that a lot of substandard coaches at the college level get ahead just by being a good recruiters.....throughtout your courses etc , have you come across any best practices with regards to recruting??? just curious

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »
College: I haven't personally come across anything that dealt specifically with recruiting, especially as it relates to colleges and universities. Its a shame though because I find the coaching fraternity here too be very exclusive. They rarely hire outside of the same tired set of coaches. I have noticed that it is actually easier for a coach to get fired and then hired than it does for a new young excellent coach to get a look in. Of course there are many smaller programs that are willing to give a coach a shout but when you look at the monies offered and the lack of any real resources to develop a pogram, a coach is better off coaching club and high school. Its sad but true.

Bless

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 06:48:40 AM »
College: I haven't personally come across anything that dealt specifically with recruiting, especially as it relates to colleges and universities. Its a shame though because I find the coaching fraternity here too be very exclusive. They rarely hire outside of the same tired set of coaches. I have noticed that it is actually easier for a coach to get fired and then hired than it does for a new young excellent coach to get a look in. Of course there are many smaller programs that are willing to give a coach a shout but when you look at the monies offered and the lack of any real resources to develop a pogram, a coach is better off coaching club and high school. Its sad but true.

Bless

My fellow seeker ... the EPL has that trait too somewhat, ent :).

I had a conversation with a grad in his first year of collegiate coaching who had played at a very prominent soccer school. His destination was clear: headed to the club system. His father had coached for decades and he knew where the money was ... the next year yuteman was an asst DOC ... at a good club ... and ah more or less sure he didn't have licensure yet (but he had experience and de Masters wasn't a bad touch either)  ... made sense though b/c that club would fit the bill for the licenses down the road. He had/knew the inside track.

There are more positive than negative to attending and completing these license. It is of really great value in learning how to organize and manage a training session more efficiently. For me the cost has been a big deterrent, and as such I am way behind in acheiving my licenses. One problem I had with what they teach is that you don't correct a player if they were successful in the situation, even if they don't use proper technique. I strongly believe this encourages bad habits. The younger the player (8-up) the more the corrections should take place. The only thing you can't argue with is a goal and stopping a goal.
I correct my younger players a lot the older ones (17 up) I may let get away with successful play even if it's wrong. I have been to courses with coaches who are successful with youth soccer but could not coach there way out of a paper bag and it's astonishing to me.
As you say though seeker it is a must for people who want to take coaching seriously.

Truthseeker, let me ask you a question, do you coach at the courses the way you coach at your club, college or whereever yo coach? Or after you leave the courses do you change drastically your coaching methods?

Elan, does your club have a graduated pay scale based on the level of license possessed? Bite the bullet. Get the paper.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:55:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 07:38:34 AM »

Peace,

Tseeker

There seems to be much curriculum reform/refining going down. A recent conversation with someone who instructs both USSF/NSCAA showed me that several changes in assessment and/or focus have taken place regarding the courses. Some are things like moving away from 'freezing' to 'coaching in the flow' and relying on the toolbox/kit accordingly, but others have to do with the varying degree of emphasis/lack of emphasis on technical versus tactical during the courses. This refining suggests the powers that be are using feedback and insight from the ground up to reflect appropriate methodology ... however, I wonder also whether it means barriers to entry are tightening

The thing about this particular B license group is that it was designed for/pooled pro players more or less exclusively ... not uncommon in UEFA where that happens as well ... and although other B courses have  pedigree players showing up in numbers, I am somewhat skeptical that this course was anything more than a dress rehearsal for the participants ... Ah jes cyah see it being anything but collegial and perhaps lacking some of the stressors of the regular course ... ah not saying it was a rubber stamp ... BUT, with the whether they could play being a non-issue, plus de setta backslapping that had to be present, one wonders.

Ah know is ah average you provided but some ah dem courses have participation tending to 50. 50 x 1K = COIN. US Soccer ... shi shing!!!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:26:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »

Bless

My fellow seeker ... the EPL has that trait too somewhat, ent :).

I had a conversation with a grad in his first year of collegiate coaching who had played at a very prominent soccer school. His destination was clear: headed to the club system. His father had coached for decades and he knew where the money was ... the next year yuteman was an asst DOC ... at a good club ... and ah more or less sure he didn't have licensure yet (but he had experience and de Masters wasn't a bad touch either)  ... made sense though b/c that club would fit the bill for the licenses down the road. He had/knew the inside track.

Elan, does your club have a graduated pay scale based on the level of license possessed? Bite the bullet. Get the paper.

No they don't they just starting up. They want to keep me around so I am trying to get them to pay for the license.  ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
I dunno know whether this is standard practice, but it might be a case of pay first ... then they'll reimburse ... I'm sure they're going to want to see the paper. ;D

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
Seeker:

I agree with you, the course offered to the MLS players was a collegial affair and not anything like they normally put the rest of us through. I will also add that most of coaching is a closed community and the trend does seem to be "rehire of the fired". Its sad though because there are a lot of coaches that really do a shitty job putting out and preparing teams. Not wanting to bash but Univ of Michigan is right fown the street from me and the coaches there have tremendous amounts of resources and the teams they put out consistently rate amongst the shittiest in the college game. Thats why a lot of the coaches i know focus on the club game. They have much more control and make far more dollars.

That said though, i have been lucky with many of the courses because my club have always paid for it and in many instances, many of my parents have paid cash out of pocket to support my efforts so I guess I have been lucky.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »
Seeker:

I agree with you, the course offered to the MLS players was a collegial affair and not anything like they normally put the rest of us through. I will also add that most of coaching is a closed community and the trend does seem to be "rehire of the fired". Its sad though because there are a lot of coaches that really do a shitty job putting out and preparing teams. Not wanting to bash but Univ of Michigan is right fown the street from me and the coaches there have tremendous amounts of resources and the teams they put out consistently rate amongst the shittiest in the college game. Thats why a lot of the coaches i know focus on the club game. They have much more control and make far more dollars.

That said though, i have been lucky with many of the courses because my club have always paid for it and in many instances, many of my parents have paid cash out of pocket to support my efforts so I guess I have been lucky.

Good stuff... your collective contributions, really good to get an 'on the ground' perspective of the challenges faced by coaching aspirants here in the US.  I also think you're really blessed to have that level of support from your parents... you must be doing something right  :beermug:

I'm really curious to see Mourinho's process/program but not sure how you'd upload the vid.  Perhaps you can upload to YouTube instead then link the vid here?  If not hit Tallman or e-man in PMs and see what they can suggest.

1]; } ?>