June 06, 2024, 07:37:58 PM

Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 2436 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Earth Hour
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »
Here we go again.  ::) ::)

If people really serious about better utilizing the resources we have and want to make a change, then perhaps we should forget about these trendy 'events' and focus on the real issues. 

For example, MacDonalds say they will "dim nonessential lights between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to highlight global climate change."

Steups ... if they are non essential, then why de hell deyon to begin with.  Turn them off permanently  .... jeezanages ...  steups.

Hypocrites - all a dem.

Lights out in 84 countries for Earth Hour 2009

CHICAGO - The lights are going down from the Great Pyramids to the Acropolis to the Eiffel Tower, as more than 2,800 municipalities in 84 countries plan Saturday to mark the second worldwide Earth Hour.

McDonald's will even soften the yellow glow from some Golden Arches as part of the time zone-by-time zone plan to dim nonessential lights between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to highlight global climate change.

"Earth Hour makes a powerful statement that the world is going to solve this problem," said Carter Roberts, chief executive of the World Wildlife Fund, which sponsors Earth Hour. "Everyone is realizing the enormous effect that climate change will have on them."

Seven times more municipalities have signed on since last year's Earth Hour, which drew participation from 400 cities after Sydney, Australia held a solo event in 2007. Interest has spiked ahead of planned negotiations on a new global warming treaty in Copenhagen, Denmark this December. The last global accord, the Kyoto Protocol, is set to expire in 2012.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon encouraged the convention to reach a fair and effective climate change agreement and promoted Earth Hour participation in a video posted this month on the event's YouTube channel.

"Earth Hour is a way for the citizens of the world to send a clear message," Ban said. "They want action on climate change."

Other videos have been posted by celebrities such as rocker Pete Wentz and actor Kevin Bacon and WWF has offered Earth Hour iPhone applications. Search engine Yahoo! says there's been a 344 per cent increase in "Earth Hour" searches this February and March compared with last year.

New studies increasingly highlight the ongoing effects of climate change, said Richard Moss, a member of the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and WWF's climate change vice president.

"We have satellites and we have ships out at sea and we have monitoring stations set up on buoys in the ocean," Moss said. "We monitor all kinds of things people wouldn't even think about. The scientific research is showing in all kinds of ways that the climate crisis is worsening."

But not everyone agrees and at least one counter-protest is planned for Saturday.

Suburban Philadelphia ice cream shop owner Bob Gerenser, 56, believes global warming is based on faulty science and calls Earth Hour "nonsense."

The resident of New Hope, Pa., and owner of Gerenser's Exotic Ice Cream planned to illuminate his store with extra theatrical lighting.

"I'm going to get everyone I know in my neighbourhood to turn on every light they possibly can to waste as much electricity as possible to underline the absurdity of this action ... by being absurd," he said.

Earth Hour 2009 has garnered support from global corporations, nonprofit groups, schools, scientists and celebrities - including Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett and the Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

McDonald's Corp. plans to dim its arches at 500 locations around the U.S. Midwest. The Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and Fairmont hotel chains and Coca-Cola Co. also plan to participate.

Among the efforts in Chicago, 50,000 light bulbs at tourist hotspot Navy Pier will dim and 24 spotlights that shine on Sears Tower's twin spires will go dark.

"We're the most visible building in the city," said Angela Burnett, a Sears Tower property manager. "Turning off the lights for one hour on a Saturday night shows our commitment to sustainability."

"It goes way beyond turning off the lights," said Roberts of the WWF. "The message we want people to take away is that it is within our power to solve this problem. People can take positive constructive actions."
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »
No tv, no computer, no Vid games.......I guess I hittin up de wife for some sex yes.................. :rotfl: :beermug: Man I have issues. :devil: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
No tv, no computer, no Vid games.......I guess I hittin up de wife for some sex yes.................. :rotfl: :beermug: Man I have issues. :devil: :beermug:
yuh done know yuh go spend that hour pullin skin. :devil:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

Nah man I put in the appointment already LOL :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Once dey eh dim d stadium lights I go b good.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Trinbagonians does "fly kite" :devil: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
nonsense....

and after the hour, what happens next ? ain't everybody switch back on dey lights at the same time ?
more energy used up, as compared to when all the lights were on in the first place.

during that hour lemme hear how much people house bun down cause they lite up kerosene lamp and candle nah and left them unattended....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »
nonsense....

and after the hour, what happens next ? ain't everybody switch back on dey lights at the same time ?
more energy used up, as compared to when all the lights were on in the first place.

during that hour lemme hear how much people house bun down cause they lite up kerosene lamp and candle nah and left them unattended....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: kerosene lamp is nostalgia nite a man say Chanderpaul feenie on d cricket page
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
my wife tellin me we have to take out de lights in de house half past 8.she ha to be friggin crazy.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
my wife tellin me we have to take out de lights in de house half past 8.she ha to be friggin crazy.

Of course she is

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 06:10:29 PM »
I watchin de game and getting some.  Cah be wrong nah

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
yuh blight we. ;)

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:56:14 AM »
yuh blight we. ;)

Hahahahahah, :rotfl: :beermug: :devil:

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

You is one wutless white man!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
even in de savannah. ;D

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »
this topic getting exactly the type of replies it warrants  :devil:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »
Who Called it ?  :-X :-X

Earth Hour fire damages townhouse
2009-03-29 10:18:14.000
Earth Hour celebrations ended on a sour note for residents of a Meadowvale townhouse last night when they discovered a fire had destroyed a portion of their home.
Nobody was injured in the blaze.
According to Peel Regional Police, the occupants of the home at 3947 Stardust Dr. lit a candle to participate in Earth Hour celebrations around 8:30 p.m., then left the home for about 45 minutes.
When they returned, they found their home in flames with thick pockets of smoke pouring from a second-storey bedroom window.
Police said a candle was left burning on the mantle in the living room. Police and firefighters were alerted to the blaze by a remote alarm and a 9-1-1 caller.
Firefighters soon had the blaze under control. Most of the damage was a result of heavy smoke.
jslack@mississauga.net
http://www.mississauga.com/article/25560

and this

Earth Hour made small mark on Edmonton power use

By Journal Staff, edmontonjournal.comMarch 29 , 2009

Vibe Tribe's fire performers light up the night after the lights were turned out at City Hall at 8:30 p.m. for Earth Hour in Edmonton on Saturday, Mar. 28, 2009. Earth Hour 2009 aimed to reach more than one billion people in 1,000 cities around the world, inviting communities, businesses and governments to switch off.
Photograph by: Ed Kaiser, Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON — More Edmonton families and businesses flipped the switch for Earth Hour this year, with power consumption down 5.2 per cent compared with 1.5 per cent in 2008, Epcor said Sunday.

The power company compared usage between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Saturday, the hour designated by the World Wildlife Fund for people all over the world to focus on climate change, with the same hour the previous Saturday.

“We’re very proud of what Edmonton has done,” said Councillor Don Iveson. “Through little actions, we can work towards making a big difference.”

The city turned off all non-essential lighting at City Hall, Chancery Hall and Century Place downtown locations, and at as many other facilities as practical.

Oxford Properties, which manages four downtown towers, the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald and Morguard Properties also darkened their buildings.

About 200 people gathered at City Hall Plaza to promote climate change solutions, watch the city go dark, and enjoy fire dancers and music.

It’s Edmonton’s second year participating in Earth Hour, which began in Sydney in 2007, and it’s one of five official Canadian partner cities.

Toronto Hydro reported a 15 per cent consumption drop, while in B.C. it was 1.1 per cent.

Canada recorded the third-highest number of darkened cities, the WWF said in a release.

“We’ve just watched millions of Canadians use their light switch to vote for action on climate change,” WWF-Canada president Gerald Butts said.

Epcor said the power consumption numbers are accurate to within 10 per cent. The biggest factors in consumption change are the weather and daylight hours, it added.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal
http://www.canada.com/technology/Earth+Hour+made+small+mark+Edmonton+power/1442147/story.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:01:17 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>