June 16, 2024, 03:44:09 AM

Author Topic: Latas I am not buying this for poor judgement.  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas I am not buying this for poor judgement.
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
“Football is a game of philosophies and opinions. He (Maturana) is the head coach and the only philosophy and opinion that counts is his. We have to try and do what he’s teaching us and is asking of us. Obviously he has quality because he’s qualified,he’s won a lot of things and he’s an absolute legend in South America . He likes to play a certain way and I think we have the players to play in any system so it’s just a case of whoever is in charge likes to play.”

I don't buy this, there is no way in a WC game playing in a hostile and fan crazy environment as in any one of those central American country where you have a 2 goal lead in the last 10 mins and seeing your midfield line struggling defensively and stop thinking offensively by just giving the ball away and you as a coach sat there and did nothing. If Maturana had toss in a a defensive midfielder for Stern and El Salvador had tied the game then we would had been very humble cause it's the obvious coaching move.

I wonder if Maturana were looking at the same game or his thoughts were probably back in Colombia.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latas I am not buying this for poor judgement.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
lol..steups....call the man on the phone nuh.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:38:40 PM »
Latapy was the man incharged in El Salvador, Maturana gave him to opporunity.

I got that from my bro in T&T who close with the team.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »
“Football is a game of philosophies and opinions. He (Maturana) is the head coach and the only philosophy and opinion that counts is his. We have to try and do what he’s teaching us and is asking of us. Obviously he has quality because he’s qualified,he’s won a lot of things and he’s an absolute legend in South America . He likes to play a certain way and I think we have the players to play in any system so it’s just a case of whoever is in charge likes to play.”

I don't buy this, there is no way in a WC game playing in a hostile and fan crazy environment as in any one of those central American country where you have a 2 goal lead in the last 10 mins and seeing your midfield line struggling defensively and stop thinking offensively by just giving the ball away and you as a coach sat there and did nothing. If Maturana had toss in a a defensive midfielder for Stern and El Salvador had tied the game then we would had been very humble cause it's the obvious coaching move.

I wonder if Maturana were looking at the same game or his thoughts were probably back in Colombia.

:banginghead: :banginghead: :bs:   ................Steupppsssss...
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »
I for one actually agreed with the tactics used..Cornell Glen was brought on to ensure we had a counter attacking threat that would have kept El Salvador wary... Jones drop int a more defensive role..and was was supposed to be the link man...

UNFORTUNATELY..glen never got the ball when he came on. I just watched over the game and actually he's quite culpable..There were at least three occassions the ball was played into to him or around him and he JUST FAILED to put ANY pressure on the ball...essentially gifting back the ball to El Salvador.

He was guilty of being naive when it was played directly into him as well..like trying to let it bounce over a defender when he should come to the ball...yes Cornell Glen has explosive speed BUT his decision making at international level is still suspect...

To be honest, also El Salvador DID not look particularly threatening on anything except the freekicks. we actually did a good job of man behind the ball with the exception of leon and a lesser extent a tiring yorke backing off midfielders allowing them space to shoot...

so say wha..

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
The tactics is the most amount of :bs: ever. Men just changing they tune because they finding out is Latapy do that bunch ah mess.

If it came out that was all Maturana, we would be wasting him right now, grow up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »
The tactics is the most amount of :bs: ever. Men just changing they tune because they finding out is Latapy do that bunch ah mess.

If it came out that was all Maturana, we would be wasting him right now, grow up.

nah elan you have me wrong here, i doubt you'd find me criticising the tactics of the game anywhere and I've been one of the few (for better or worse) who's actually tried to defenc maturana on this board....but if men REALLY doing that, then it just goes to show how fickle trinidadians are...

buh I just have a question to ask you? With Birchall AND Yorke both on yellow cards..who would you have bought on from our bench on that day? and for who?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »

To be honest, also El Salvador DID not look particularly threatening on anything except the freekicks. we actually did a good job of man behind the ball with the exception of leon and a lesser extent a tiring yorke backing off midfielders allowing them space to shoot...

so say wha..

???
El salvador couldve had many opportunities if their forwards first touch hadnt let them down on the turn so much. 
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »

:beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »
the man doh say nuttin which is a bad...I guess he cyah talk english good enough to give instructions...fine...latapy here to do that now.  but good ting we is no coach on here cuz we woulda be playin the same men right thru and when  people have to miss match like yorke and birchall and ince now, we woulda be now bawlin' who going an magically step up? when gay was getting sweat in 'important' friendlies against guyana people talking bout caps is nottin to waste.  all the experts on here on this board.  me ent no nuttin, but hopefully the tactic was to save wildmen avery and cyd from cards so they sit out ...I ent understand..but I ent no coach either.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »

nah elan you have me wrong here, i doubt you'd find me criticising the tactics of the game anywhere and I've been one of the few (for better or worse) who's actually tried to defenc maturana on this board....but if men REALLY doing that, then it just goes to show how fickle trinidadians are...

buh I just have a question to ask you? With Birchall AND Yorke both on yellow cards..who would you have bought on from our bench on that day? and for who?

I would have subbed Yorke, but not because of a yellow card. I would sub him cause he was struggling. These guys not playing high school they are Pros and should understand the importance of the game. I would have left Birchall on the field as he need to learn to deal with these types of situtaions cause he is needed for this game. The coaching staff got ahead of themselves and started to think about the next game when clearly this game was not over (the result also proved this).

If you keep bailing out guys in these situations, what will happen when there is a situation where you have no more subs to make and they on a yellow? This is a different level and players have to be treated as such. The coaching staff did not help the players at all. The over confidence on the field came from the dressing room at half time and the bench during the game. We were making critical mistakes over and over and when you look at the bench you see none of the coaches trying to fix it. Why make a sub? Just because we can?

Slow the game and keep the ball, simple.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

I would have subbed Yorke, but not because of a yellow card. I would sub him cause he was struggling. These guys not playing high school they are Pros and should understand the importance of the game. I would have left Birchall on the field as he need to learn to deal with these types of situtaions cause he is needed for this game. The coaching staff got ahead of themselves and started to think about the next game when clearly this game was not over (the result also proved this).

If you keep bailing out guys in these situations, what will happen when there is a situation where you have no more subs to make and they on a yellow? This is a different level and players have to be treated as such. The coaching staff did not help the players at all. The over confidence on the field came from the dressing room at half time and the bench during the game. We were making critical mistakes over and over and when you look at the bench you see none of the coaches trying to fix it. Why make a sub? Just because we can?

Simple you say? What happens if your sub backfires? Yorke as far as most I believe is better at retaining the ball than Birchall no?
And up to point Birchall was subbed, Yorke was having a fairly decent game wasn't he and had yet to show signs of wear didn't he?
You still didn't say which player from our bench you'd have brought on...

it's never quite so simple as a coach...
"Two plus two is not always four in football" - Don Leo...

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »
the substitutions may be arguale but that dennis lawrence in the post for free kick thing is utter bullshit. niether of those free kicks were that well placed and i feel had ince been correctly positioned on both and without the confusion of havin dennis there then he would have been able to make the saves atleast semi comfortably.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
the substitutions may be arguale but that dennis lawrence in the post for free kick thing is utter bullshit. niether of those free kicks were that well placed and i feel had ince been correctly positioned on both and without the confusion of havin dennis there then he would have been able to make the saves atleast semi comfortably.

jefferz, to be fair when yuh see that kinda set up on the free kick it is normally an ad hoc thing in the game.. as in, "shit boy we under pressure put de tall man on de post yes" kinda ting.. i see that happen in match when it get late in the game and the defence under pressure and panicking..

hard to put that one on the coaches. i highly doubt lawrence in the goal was a part of the rehearsals for defending free kicks.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »
hard to put that one on the coaches. i highly doubt lawrence in the goal was a part of the rehearsals for defending free kicks.

not sure if that explanation makes the situation better or worse.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:43:22 PM »

Simple you say? What happens if your sub backfires? Yorke as far as most I believe is better at retaining the ball than Birchall no?
And up to point Birchall was subbed, Yorke was having a fairly decent game wasn't he and had yet to show signs of wear didn't he?You still didn't say which player from our bench you'd have brought on...

it's never quite so simple as a coach...
"Two plus two is not always four in football" - Don Leo...

There you go..... said it yourself. It was going well and then the coaches disturbed the settings. If I had replaced Yorke it would have been with Theobald.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »

jefferz, to be fair when yuh see that kinda set up on the free kick it is normally an ad hoc thing in the game.. as in, "shit boy we under pressure put de tall man on de post yes" kinda ting.. i see that happen in match when it get late in the game and the defence under pressure and panicking..

Don't know OMar...never seen that tactic before. That was weird to do that. I find everyone was okay with tactic, Ince did not even tell him get off the post, so I am thinking it was team tactics from practice.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:19:35 AM »
i've seen it before..If 'm not mistaken i saw it the the UCL final in '06...ashley cole was put around the first post to ensure dinho or deco wouldn't be able to just bend it in over the wall..he even made an attempt to diving header the ball out on one occasion when ball just curled wide...

1]; } ?>