June 05, 2024, 06:56:24 AM

Author Topic: Enter the Magician  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Enter the Magician
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:09:24 AM »
Enter the Magician
By Peter O'Connor (T&T Newsday)

Today we take a break from our usual theme to look at next Saturday’s World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica. This is a critical match for our Soca Warriors and our hopes for South Africa, and it is also a historic match for many reasons.

Trinidad and Tobago has never made a strong start to a Final Round qualifying competition. And we are there again, facing just two more matches in the first encounters of the Home and Away series. Draws against El Salvador (away) and Honduras (home), and a bad loss away to the United States, have us at the bottom of the table, tied on two points with El Salvador. Costa Rica plays the United States in Costa Rica on Wednesday before they come here. At the time of writing, USA and Costa Rica sit first and second in the standings, so one, or both, will lose points before our encounter. But we need to win regardless of what others do.

The historical aspects of the match are also interesting. This is the first time we are hosting a World Cup Qualifier in Tobago. Also, it is the first time—certainly for us, and probably worldwide –that a team will be playing in a stadium named for its current captain. Dwight Yorke is without doubt our most renowned footballer ever, one of only 22 men in the world who has ever won the “European Treble”—the English League Championship, the FA Trophy and the UEFA Champions League—in one season. Dwight’s Manchester United achieved that remarkable feat ten years ago, ironically in the stadium of the club which defeated them in the UEFA Champions Final this week. That Dwight is still playing, and indeed leading our team, ten years on is another tribute to him, for his renowned fitness.

When Dwight leads the Warriors out on to the field of the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday, he will be doing so under the watchful eye of his long time friend and international teammate—now coach of Trinidad and Tobago, Russell Latapy.

The pride which is swelling in Tobago all this week must be tremendous. The Warriors have been encamped there for several days now, finally joined by the Sunderland trio—Dwight, plus Kenwyne Jones and Carlos Edwards. They were required by Sunderland up to the final game of the English Season, trying to stave off relegation, Jones scoring a fine header against the world’s number one ‘keeper, to cap off another great personal season. This, plus the return of Dwight from a two-match ban, will add confidence to the Warriors. Jones will remember the Dwight Yoke Stadium, for he played there in the match which officially “opened” the Stadium in 2001, TT Under- 17 against Japan.

For Tobago, this match will be very much about the pride in Dwight and the Dwight Yorke Stadium. But Tobagonians, and the thousands of Trinis who will be there, will also see TT playing a competitive match in Tobago for the first time ever. We have played friendlies there in the past, but never have we marched out under the “competitive” flag of our country.

Additionally for Tobago—who has always been a wonderful friend and supporter of TT football—this match is a tremendous boost for its tourism, already wracked by the world’s economy and the cancellation of the Tobago Jazz Festival. Costa Rica is bringing in about 700 supporters, and thousands of Trinis will be there for the weekend.

But for all that, the most important feature must be the Return of the Magician, Russell Latapy, now as coach of the Warriors. Russell was a popular choice as coach, but he now carries a tremendous burden—for all of us—upon his shoulders. This will be his first match in charge, and for all his knowledge of the game, and of his charges, Latas is still relatively inexperienced. But we can help!

Our support must be loud and clear, not just during the match, but all week long. However this support must be tempered with giving the team its “space” while in Tobago. Fans cannot visit the team, hoping to lime with the players. So, please, do not intrude!

And finally, let us honour our leaders over there. I have heard us boo some of our leaders at football matches in the past. Look, even if you feel it is deserved, do it somewhere else. We will have strangers in our house, so let us not show any disrespect for ourselves by showing disrespect for our leaders. When we walk out on to the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday, let no one doubt that we are a nation totally united behind our team, and the mission of our coach!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Enter the Magician
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »
ey...dais de name of one of my old threads
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 08:22:42 AM »

Sue for copyright Big Mag.... :devil: ;D

On another note, which game against Japan Mr. O'connor referring to here.....

Jones will remember the Dwight Yoke Stadium, for he played there in the match which officially “opened” the Stadium in 2001, TT Under- 17 against Japan.

This was a friendly before the actual start of the  U-17 tournament, right??  As far as I remember T&T played their games in Trinidad.  Tobago hosted, France, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and one other team I can't remember right now......ah just asking for clarification sake...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »
BM, yuh ha to admit, he article ah lil better  :)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »
No complaints at all about O'Connor's writing on this occasion this time. Nice article. Fuhget the messenger, the message is great.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »

Jones will remember the Dwight Yoke Stadium, for he played there in the match which officially “opened” the Stadium in 2001, TT Under- 17 against Japan.

This was a friendly before the actual start of the  U-17 tournament, right??  As far as I remember T&T played their games in Trinidad.  Tobago hosted, France, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and one other team I can't remember right now......ah just asking for clarification sake...

ah tink d final team was croatia. dat was d first team our boys played against for d opening of d tournament..... an we lost. ah remember dat cuz ah  remember gettin soaked in muh school uniform from d rain dat day.  ah stand to be corrected tho.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
yea boy Max... and longer...

BUT   BUT  hold on.. my own (one)  was a "PREDICTION" !!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
BM, yuh ha to admit, he article ah lil better  :)

I beg to differ.. This writer did the topic little good. Whereas BM's focus is always Latapy.

long Live the King / Magician.  LATAS and ah feel we really beating Costa Rica. we have to start to believe it.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
DOH START NAH

WE BEATING COSTA RICA

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
DOH START NAH

WE BEATING COSTA RICA
[/quote

In netball  :devil:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:53 PM »

Tobago hosted France, USA, Japan and Nigeria.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
you dont know newsday people does be theifing from the web or what. I have many instances of they copy thing from other trini forums and facebook posts  8)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:31 AM »

Tobago hosted France, USA, Japan and Nigeria.
Japan??...Ok...I stand corrected....I wouldn't remember the US for obvious reasons  :devil: and ah eh remember Japan cuz to be honest I was just backing 2 teams  Nigeria and France.....lo and behold dey were the finalists....that tournament was nice too bad, I thoroughly enjoyed myself!!...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>