May 23, 2024, 10:30:42 AM

Author Topic: Bob Bradley being considered as next Fulham manager  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Bradley being considered as next Fulham manager
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
I'll take Bob Bradley over Russell Latapy to coach T&T anyday.
Howcome to date we haven't seeked out an American to coach us...We've tried everything else...Why not a yankee??

There was some discussion about that here:
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=46641.msg621110#msg621110

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »
the Confed Cup result is arguably the US' best international showing to date.

Very arguable. WC 2002 quarterfinal under Bradley is not too shabby either...

Under Arena you mean.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »

Under Arena you mean... a good argument could certainly be made, when you consider the results against Portugal and the host South Korea team, followed by the victory over Mexico in the knock-out stage... and throw in a good showing against Germany to boot.

However, when you consider how poorly the team performed in Group play in South Africa last summer, and how needing every victory, how they rebounded to make the final by beating African champions, Egypt... a Spanish team that was ranked, what... #1? In the world at the time.  Followed up by dominating Brazil and putting a lasting scare into them for the first half... before being undone midway thru the second half.  Despite the 2002 stage and the progress far into the elimination games in that prestigious tournament, I'd still say they showed great character in overcoming the early setbacks, followed by great ability to get the result that they did against quality opponents at the Confed Cup.

Still class Arena ahead of him though.

Yeah I meant Arena sorry.  I agree with you- I like Arena as a coach better than Bradley.  The U.S. played more free flowing attacking and polished looking football under Arena.  In WC 2006 they were undone by a very very very tough group, and even so I think their results didn't do justice to their run-of-play performance. 

The last CONFED Cup performance and the spirited fight in this WC were definitely bright spots for Bradley, and I think discovering the Charlie Davies-Altidore pairing up front is what made the difference in the CONFED Cup.  In addition, they figured out Spain from a defensive standpoint, and they took their chances against Brazil in the first half...Tim Howard played a big role in keeping them in that game in the 1st half though people somehow remember it as dominating performance...but we can argue that all day... that said Bradley had his moments and he deserves a shot at some big opportunities internationally- so good for him if another Fulham type opportunity comes his way. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:08:15 PM by kicker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »

Under Arena you mean... a good argument could certainly be made, when you consider the results against Portugal and the host South Korea team, followed by the victory over Mexico in the knock-out stage... and throw in a good showing against Germany to boot.

However, when you consider how poorly the team performed in Group play in South Africa last summer, and how needing every victory, how they rebounded to make the final by beating African champions, Egypt... a Spanish team that was ranked, what... #1? In the world at the time.  Followed up by dominating Brazil and putting a lasting scare into them for the first half... before being undone midway thru the second half.  Despite the 2002 stage and the progress far into the elimination games in that prestigious tournament, I'd still say they showed great character in overcoming the early setbacks, followed by great ability to get the result that they did against quality opponents at the Confed Cup.

Still class Arena ahead of him though.

Yeah I meant Arena sorry.  I agree with you- I like Arena as a coach better than Bradley.  The U.S. played more free flowing attacking and polished looking football under Arena.  In WC 2006 they were undone by a very very very tough group, and even so I think their results didn't do justice to their run-of-play performance. 

The last CONFED Cup performance and the spirited fight in this WC were definitely bright spots for Bradley, and I think discovering the Charlie Davies-Altidore pairing up front is what made the difference in the CONFED Cup.  In addition, they figured out Spain from a defensive standpoint, and they took their chances against Brazil in the first half...Tim Howard played a big role in keeping them in that game in the 1st half though people somehow remember it as dominating performance...but we can argue that all day... that said Bradley had his moments and he deserves a shot at some big opportunities internationally- so good for him if another Fulham type opportunity comes his way. 

Another reason I like Arena is that he's proved himself on every level... college, professional and international. At least compared to Bradley.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
Martin Jol has been reported on SkySports to be the leading candidate for the Fulham job.....Why he would leave Ajax for Fulham is beyond me.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 05:26:33 AM »
Yeah but where is the proof that we have the talent to be making the strides that America is making..The majority of our players are rarely tested, so we can't really say that they talented or even gifted...For every Yorke or Latapy, I'm sure we could name about 15 US players who have reached those heights..With the exception of Dwight, we really don't have a name or face out there...!!

Give this man a cigar!
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
Yeah but where is the proof that we have the talent to be making the strides that America is making..The majority of our players are rarely tested, so we can't really say that they talented or even gifted...For every Yorke or Latapy, I'm sure we could name about 15 US players who have reached those heights..With the exception of Dwight, we really don't have a name or face out there...!!

Give this man a cigar!

Forget about 15... name two players who have reached the level of international football that Latapy has reached.  I won't even bother to embarrass you by asking for a comparison to Yorke.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Is blind dem ppl blind so ? Or the man have a real good agent ?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=809802&sec=england&cc=5901

ERIKSSON IN DEMAND
Sven waits on Fulham before making final choice
By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

July 22, 2010
Comment
 Email
 Print
 Sven Goran Eriksson is tempted by a four-year contract with Ivory Coast, which will run until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, which means Fulham could lose another of their targets.735021

Fulham must make their move for Eriksson within the next 48 hours; otherwise there is the very real chance that the former England boss will commit his future to the Ivorians.

Having been foiled in their frantic bid to sign up Martin Jol, with talks going on all week, another of their prime targets is now on the verge of agreeing a four year contract with the side he led at the World Cup in South Africa.

Eriksson initially took his latest international post job on a three-month contract for ¬300,000. And now Ivory Coast plan to step up their move for Eriksson on Friday, just as Fulham's hierarchy return from Amsterdam empty handed without their number one target.

And Soccernet can reveal that the football grapevine is buzzing with speculation that Eriksson's representative demanded £3.5 million-a-year from Fulham.

But an insider revealed: "No monies were ever mentioned when Fulham made contact regarding Sven. There is a lot of mischief around about Sven being a money grabber, and it has poisoned his chances of going to Fulham."

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »

Talent is tough to define and measure- at the level of rawness that we in Trini talk about our talent there is little than can be claimed, and there is very little meaning to the extrapolation we make between talent and success..

That said Yorke and Latas are our heros and our biggest local exports of the game...we will inflate them like any other culture in the world inflates its local heroes.... it's not logical, but who doh like it, that's their business...

USA never had a Yorke or a Latas- full stop   ;)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »

Talent is tough to define and measure- at the level of rawness that we in Trini talk about our talent there is little than can be claimed, and there is very little meaning to the extrapolation we make between talent and success..

That said Yorke and Latas are our heros and our biggest local exports of the game...we will inflate them like any other culture in the world inflates its local heroes.... it's not logical, but who doh like it, that's their business...

USA never had a Yorke or a Latas- full stop   ;)

Dude fuh as much as man Rag on him US doh even have ah KJ

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

Dude fuh as much as man Rag on him US doh even have ah KJ

I in dat talk too...  ;D

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »
Fergie offers Bradley backing

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes USA national team coach Bob Bradley would be a success in Europe.

The experienced coach has been linked with the vacant managerial post at Fulham, with the Cottagers still searching for a replacement for Roy Hodgson.

Bradley has a proven track record, having cut his teeth on the American University scene and furthered himself in the MLS, and a switch to England is no longer a pipedream.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
We are not alone..talk in U.S.A. about change
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »

U.S., Bradley in limbo after Brazil defeat

By REUTERS

NEW YORK - The future of United States coach Bob Bradley and his squad remained in limbo Wednesday after
a 2-0 friendly defeat to Brazil and  thefailure of anyone to give a firm clue as to which direction the national
 team will be heading.

Bradley’s contract runs out at the end of the year and should he see out his term he will be in charge for two friendlies in October.

But the 52-year-old coach was unable to say whether he would be around for those games.

“My contract is through (to) the end of the year so it’s no problem for me,” Bradley said.

“I’ll be thinking later about those games and like I have said there will be discussions,” he added.

Outclassed by a young Brazil team Tuesday, the U.S played with little of the fire and determination they have shown throughout Bradley’s reign.

Prior to the game Bradley said that discussions with U.S Soccer chief Sunil Gulati over his future had been put on hold until after the Brazil game.

But the coach, who guided the U.S to the final of the Confederations Cup and the second round of the World Cup in South Africa, also confirmed that a representative had spoken to English Premier League team Fulham on his behalf last month when there was a vacancy at the team.

When asked directly about reports linking him with the manager’s role at another Premier League team, Aston Villa, Bradley said he would “love to coach in Europe” - words which further fuelled speculation of his departure.

No American has ever coached in England’s top flight but Bradley was an early bookmaker’s favourite and Villa are owned by American Randy Lerner.

For his part, Gulati hinted after the World Cup that it might be time for an experienced foreign coach to take the U.S, World Cup quarter-finalists under Bruce Arena in 2002, to the next level in their progress.

Once again German Juergen Klinsmann, who was linked with the job before Bradley was appointed in 2006, has been put forward by the media as a front-runner although neither he nor Gulati have confirmed any talks.

The two games in October should, under normal circumstances, be ideal testing ground for a new side to begin the build-up to next year’s Gold Cup and then the qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup.

It remains to be seen whether those games mark Bradley beginning a new four-year cycle or the debut of a new face in charge of the Stars and Stripes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:15:39 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: We are not alone..talk in U.S.A. about change
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »
Consider the moves which Brazil and Argentina made in their coaching ranks, what does that say? Are the powers to be in TnT  ok  with accepting mediocrity year in and year out?  What do we really look for when we select a coach?

Well known?
Proven track record?

Will not make waves?

Meh friend?

Bargain price?

What might our program look like under the guidance of a bonafide coach?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: We are not alone..talk in U.S.A. about change
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »
I hope we get Bob Bradley to replace Latapy soon...

1]; } ?>