June 15, 2024, 01:00:38 PM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors to give Bermuda Under-23s a tough test.  (Read 6001 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors to give Bermuda Under-23s a tough test.
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »
The under 20 team will form the nucleus since in 3 years they will be basically be an under 23 team.

So wha bout all de players who older dan de U20's and still Under 23 now?  Dem suck salt?

Yuh puyttin ALL yuh eggs inn one basket wit dis U 20 team?

Dem is Olympic team AND National senior team for 2014 same time?  ???
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »
The under 20 team will form the nucleus since in 3 years they will be basically be an under 23 team.

So wha bout all de players who older dan de U20's and still Under 23 now?  Dem suck salt?

It is not about me putting all my eggs in one basket.  All of the squad need to be under 23 at the olympics with the exception of 3 players...so come 2012 they need to be under 23 so in 2009 these players are under 20, it is as simple as that unless the rules different where we can use players who are under 23 right now for the qualifiers but will not be under 23 in 3 years then send a different squad to the olympics if we qualify.

As for the other question about the olympic team being the same as the senior team for 2014,yuh is sensible fellah so I will not answer that question.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »

It is not about me putting all my eggs in one basket.  All of the squad need to be under 23 at the olympics with the exception of 3 players...so come 2012 they need to be under 23 so in 2009 these players are under 20, it is as simple as that unless the rules different where we can use players who are under 23 right now for the qualifiers but will not be under 23 in 3 years then send a different squad to the olympics if we qualify.

As for the other question about the olympic team being the same as the senior team for 2014,yuh is sensible fellah so I will not answer that question.

We only need 3 more .. ;D

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »

We only need 3 more .. ;D

yorke, latas and tallest... ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
See the 'future' stars of Bermuda football
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
See the 'future' stars of Bermuda football
Under-23s will take on Trinidad and Tobago in two matches over the holidays

By James Whittaker (Bermuda Sun)

"Let us entertain you".

That's the message from Bermuda Under 23 coach Scott Morton ahead of the visit of Trinidad next week.

Bermuda's next generation of stars have been thrust into the limelight as the centerpiece of the national programme.

Morton's Under-23 squad, which will also form the core of a new BFA/Bermuda Hogges partnership in the U.S. Premier Development League next summer, has effectively replaced the national side at the apex of Bermuda soccer.

The new emphasis on youth has seen the senior team inactive and the Hogges morph from a semi-pro squad into a youth development team.

Morton said the approach was already paying dividends. And he urged soccer fans to brave the wind and rain and come and get a glimpse of the future the national stadium next week.

"You won't be disappointed I can guarantee that," insisted Morton, who believes the two matches against the young Soca Warriors should prove a bigger crowd-puller than the traditional Dudley Eve inter-club Christmas tournament.

Ipswich Town youngster Reggie Lambe trained with the squad this week.

But Morton insists Lambe is not the only eye-catching player who will feature over the course of the Trinidad tour.

Players like Dandy Town forward Nahki Wells, his Hornets team-mate Shaun Brown and Boulevard striker Angelo Russell have been among the most influential in the Premier League so far this season.

And Morton is backing them to take that form into the international arena.

"I think this is going to be beyond people's expectations. Once they see these boys play they are going to wish they could watch them every week."

That may soon be possible with the announcement yesterday that the Bermuda Football Association will partner with the Bermuda Hogges to play in the US based PDL next season, primarily for under-23 players (see page 62).

Who will coach the new hybrid team remained unclear last night with both Morton and Kyle Lightbourne maintaining a decision had not been announced.

Morton said he was focusing purely on next week's matches. He has called daily sessions this week, with the players expected to report for training on Boxing Day morning.

"They can't indulge too much over Christmas, if they do they will be found out," said the no-nonsense coach.

He expects a tough challenge from Trinidad next week, but believes his players have every chance.

"We are going to need all the support we can get. We need an energetic crowd behind us. Trinidad have been playing at a higher level than us for a number of years so we are expecting stiff competition, but that's what makes football exciting.

"I welcome the challenge and I'm pretty sure the fans that do come out will be rewarded with an entertaining game...

"You can never predict a victory with any certainty but what I am confident of is a good performance. If you get the performances right, the results will come."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bean gunning for revenge
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »
Bean gunning for revenge
By:Stephen Wright (The Royal Gazette)

Bermuda's Keishen Bean wants revenge for being knocked out of the World Cup qualifiers by Trinidad when the two nations renew rivalries at the National Sports Centre (NSC) today.

The senior national team stunned the Soca Warriors in a famous 2-1 victory in the Caribbean 18 months ago but crashed to a 2-0 defeat at the NSC in the second leg.

Bean is still smarting from that painful experience and insists Bermuda Under-23s are targetting two wins from their double-header against Trinidad.

And he has called for a bumper Boxing Day crowd at the NSC to cheer on the Gombey Warriors.

"We should have plenty of people up there (at the NSC), I hope Bermuda has not forgotten what happened last time Trinidad came here. This time we are looking for revenge," Bean said.

"I think Reggie and myself are the only players who played for the senior team against Trinidad last time. But we have players like Freddy Hall, Seion Darrell and Jason Davis who have been playing for national team for years, so we have got plenty of experience. This group of players has a lot of talent.

"Although we are preparing for the future, right now we have to win these games. It is all about pride and country pride. We talk about that after every training session.

"But Trinidad are going to have some class players so it is going to be a big test for us. "

Although Bean has been used mainly as an attacking midfielder when representing his country, he is set to lead the line as a striker today.

"I have played in so many different positions over the years and the coaches are looking to play me up top," he said. "I actually prefer to play just behind the strikers but we have other guys who can do that job."

Next summer will see the majority of the Under-23 squad suit up for Bermuda Hogges in the top US amateur division, the Professional Development League (PDL), which Bean believes will serve as ideal preparation for the upcoming CAC Games, Pan-Am and Olympic qualifiers.

However, Bean said he was likely to remain with Ottawa Fury who he played for in the PDL last season.

"The Hogges and the BFA have given us an opportunity to stay at home and still take our football to another level. In the past you have always had to leave the country to play at a higher level. It is a really good development for Bermuda football.

"But I am a Fury man it is more than likely I will be there next season."

Trinidad also take on Bermuda Under-23s on New Year's Day for the inaugural BFA International Cup. They also face Devonshire Cougars on Wednesday, December 30. All games will be played at the National Sports Centre.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:20:35 AM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 06:35:57 AM »
Rough Riders men in holiday tournament.
Big Apple Soccer

The Long Island Rough Riders are headed to Bermuda for a holiday tournament, which begins Dec. 26.

Through their affiliation with West Ham United International Academy, the Rough Riders have been invited by the Bermuda Football Association to participate in its BFA Christmas 2010 Tour, a holiday tournament for local and international clubs.

“A sort of Bermuda Triangle relationship made the trip a reality,” Rough Riders president Peter Zaratin said. “Our affiliation with West Ham United International Academy made us aware of the opportunity.”

Mike Kelleher, partnership development manager for the West Ham United International Academy, added, “The West Ham United International Academy is delighted to help facilitate this event in Bermuda. Over the past year both the Long Island Rough Riders and the Bermuda Football Association have proved excellent partners to the International Academy.”

The tournament is held over Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. This is their second year of the tournament, as last year Trinidad & Tobago’s National Olympic Team participated in the competition.

“We are extremely pleased that the Long Island Rough Riders accepted the invitation,” said David Sabir, General Secretary of the Bermuda Football Association, “as it further strengthens our relationships with teams competing in the United Soccer Leagues, in addition to being a partner club with West Ham United International.

“Many Bermudians frequently visit Long Island, New York so perhaps there is some positive relationship building in the making for our players and fans.”

This competition will serve as the first training camp for the Rough Riders.

“This friendly tournament will be used as a pre-season training trip for the Rough Riders men’s upcoming 2011 season in the USL,” Rough Riders general manager Flavio Ferri said.

The Rough Riders will face off against the Bermuda’s Under-20 World Cup National Team in their first match. Their second game will be against Bermuda’s defending Premier Division league champions, the Dandy Town Hornets. On New Year’s Day, the Rough Riders will ring in 2011 by facing the U-20 team.

”This is going to be an excellent test for us, going against some tough competition,” Rough Riders coach Paul Roderick said. “Playing against international talent will help prepare us for our upcoming season.”

The Bermuda U-20 National Team will use the tournament to prepare them for the Caribbean Football Union, preliminaries for the U-20 World Cup qualifiers in January. The winner of their group will qualify for the CONCACAF U-20 Finals in Guatemala in April.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>