May 28, 2024, 05:13:40 PM

Author Topic: T&T starts with 1-0 win over Grenada  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T starts with 1-0 win over Grenada
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
T&T starts with 1-0 win over Grenada.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 23 men’s team got their 2012 Olympic qualifying campaign off to a winning start when they topped Grenada 1-0 in their opening Group B encounter at the Windsor Park, Dominica on Tuesday.

The win came courtesy a goal by Joe Public midfielder Jayson Joseph in the 23rd minute of play after T&T held control of proceedings for much of the opening moments.

T&T captain Sheldon Bateau had his team’s first try on goal in the 2nd minute when his free kick sailed over bar.

Midfielder Marcus Joseph  threatened on a few occasions while Sean De Silva also had a couple good tries on goal.

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino was not in the squad after missing his flight and a decision was taken by team management to leave him out of this round of competition, according to team manger Norris Ferguson. Chike Sullivan was also injured and Uriah Bentick was his replacement in the squad.

“It’s a good win to start off the tournament with. We know this was going to be an important match for us and now it’s onto  taking care of the next two matches in this round,” Ferguson told TTFF Media.

T&T will meet Curacao in their second match on Thursday. The hosts were scheduled to meet Curacao in the second game on Tuesday.

Eve: Good allround display in first win.

He made his international debut back in April 1994, going on to represent the country in 117 matches after that.

One would  therefore expect Angus Eve to go into his first game in charge of a national team with a fair amount of composure and little nerves.

A bit of confidence yes but Eve said the usual first game jitters were definitely around prior to Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-0 win over Grenada in their opening CFU Olympic  first round qualifier at Windsor Park, Dominica.

“I was a bit apprehensive at first yes with this being my first game in charge of the national team because there were also a few newcomers to international football in my team.

But they did well… they put the ball down and passed it around well from the early parts and I honestly think the end result is not a true reflection of how the game went,” Eve told TTFF Media.

“We should have scored at least six times.”

Commenting on the Grenadians who had beaten T&T 3-2 in another Olympic qualifier in 2008, Eve said they were typical of all Grenadian sides.

“They were exactly what we expected which was big, strong and aggressive with a bit of quality in between. But we were able to cope with them well and in the end our goalkeeper had maybe one shot to save in the match.”

Touching some more on the team’s composition, Eve explained: “Because of the injury to Chike and with Molino not making it over, we didn’t have that cutting edge and composure in and around the box because they are two number ten type players which we would use for that kind of play.

It meant we had to change things up a bit but the guys held their own and credit to them.”

National Under 20 captain Sheldon Bateau also led the team on Tuesday with Eve saying he was the right man for the role.

“Sheldon has been with this group for a long time and he has been given the armband before. Daneil Cyrus had to go off to Kansas and we wish him well there, so in light of that, Sheldon was the other one with that level of maturity and he has a good head on his shoulders. He has showed that he’s a leader out there on the field,” Eve added.

T&T will play Curacao in their second match on Thursday at Windsor Park, Dominica.

SWO Game Report (Below)

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 1.Andre Marchan, 2.Aubrey David, 3.Mekeil Williams, 4.Sheldon Bateau (capt), 5.Aquil Selby, 6.Leslie Russell, 11.Sean De Silva (15.Kareem Moses 88th), 14.Marcus Joseph, 12.Jayson Joseph, 13.Jeromie Williams (17.Kaydion Gabriel 63rd), 9.Trevin Caesar (16.Cameron Roget 86th).

Unused Subs: 7.Phillip Borde, 8.Uriah Bentik, 18.Zane Coker.

Coach: Angus Eve.

Grenada: Shemel Louison, Raymond Alleyne, David Cyrus, Nicko Williams (Yellow 88), Rohan George, Rimmel Daniel, Moron Phillip (Kevin Edwards 70th), Rickel Augustine, Davier Walcott (Denron Daniel 24th - Alec Jones 84th), Clive Murray, Elliott Charles.

Unused Subs: Jason Belfon, Irvine Smith, Aswald Phillips, Carl Raeburn.

Coach: Alister De Bellotte.

Venue: Windsor Park Stadium, Roseau.

Referee: Kevin Morrison (Jamaica).

Attendance: 3000.

GP W D L F A D PTS
Curaçao U23  1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
Trinidad & Tobago  1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
Grenada U23  1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
Dominica U23  1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:04:13 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve: Good allround display in first win
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
Eve: Good allround display in first win
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

He made his international debut back in April 1994, going on to represent the country in 117 matches after that. One would  therefore expect Angus Eve to go into his first game in charge of a national team with a fair amount of composure and little nerves. A bit of confidence yes but Eve said the usual first game jitters were definitely around prior to Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-0 win over Grenada in their opening CFU Olympic  first round qualifier at Windsor Park, Dominica.

“I was a bit apprehensive at first yes with this being my first game in charge of the national team because there were also a few newcomers to international football in my team. But they did well… they put the ball down and passed it around well from the early parts and I honestly think the end result is not a true reflection of how the game went,” Eve told TTFF Media. “We should have scored at least six times.”

Commenting on the Grenadians who had beaten T&T 3-2 in another Olympic qualifier in 2008, Eve said they were typical of all Grenadian sides.

“They were exactly what we expected which was big, strong and aggressive with a bit of quality in between. But we were able to cope with them well and in the end our goalkeeper had maybe one shot to save in the match.”

Touching some more on the team’s composition, Eve explained: “Because of the injury to Chike and with Molino not making it over, we didn’t have that cutting edge and composure in and around the box because they are two number ten type players which we would use for that kind of play. It meant we had to change things up a bit but the guys held their own and credit to them.”

National Under 20 captain Sheldon Bateau also led the team on Tuesday with Eve saying he was the right man for the role.

“Sheldon has been with this group for a long time and he has been given the armband before. Daneil Cyrus had to go off to Kansas and we wish him well there, so in light of that, Sheldon was the other one with that level of maturity and he has a good head on his shoulders.  He has showed that he’s a leader out there on the field,” Eve added.

T&T will play Curacao in their second match on Thursday at Windsor Park, Dominica.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:47:26 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
Re: T&T starts with 1-0 win over Grenada
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
A victory is always a good way to start!

Best of luck the rest of the way.
well yes

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:18 AM »
Conrats guys. We're expecting more good things from you. Make T&T proud
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »
A man missed his flight and management decided to leave him out of this round of the tournament.
 What does this mean- Punishment or what. Having heard of the problem up front. clearly we need kevin especially with his speed.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
A man missed his flight and management decided to leave him out of this round of the tournament.
 What does this mean- Punishment or what. Having heard of the problem up front. clearly we need kevin especially with his speed.
I would hate to think that it was punishment, but yuh never know
well yes

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:56 AM »
A win was critical but maybe they should have got al least another 2 goals or so .

The other 2 games should be easier since the first game jitters will be gone but we need to step on the gas

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
A win was critical but maybe they should have got al least another 2 goals or so .

The other 2 games should be easier since the first game jitters will be gone but we need to step on the gas
According to Eve they should have had about 6 so it appears that finishing maybe an issue
well yes

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
       Come on guys,i don't think it should be about punishment,this is about professionalism,these guys are Pros and players are fined heavily for things like this.I remember when Groden and them mess up with tickets,wrong name etc how we was all over them.
        I don't know the whole situation but these guys have to take some responsibility for themselves,they are not little children,some of them feel just playing the game of Football is all.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:13:22 AM »
I go take a 1-0 but i does scratch mi head when I see we labouring to beat team like grenada 1-0.. but I go tek it..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
Well done.Just keep winning.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Honestly there has to be some level of discipline with these things.  How would it look to now demote his replacement back to the bench after her performed well in Molino's absense when he missed his flight.  Judging by the decision I will credit Eve (whom I know to be a stand up and understanding individual) with making the decision for disciplinary reasons.  And if that is how he wants to run the team I am all for it.  One of our biggest weaknesses in football is individual dicipline and discretion so any couach who is working with our younger players and demanding that, I support full 100!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Come on guys,i don't think it should be about punishment,this is about professionalism,these guys are Pros and players are fined heavily for things like this.I remember when Groden and them mess up with tickets,wrong name etc how we was all over them.
        I don't know the whole situation but these guys have to take some responsibility for themselves,they are not little children,some of them feel just playing the game of Football is all.

Missing a flight and send a tck 4 Glenroy instead of Colin no comparission. People does miss flight evry day but yuh have 2  b special 2 not know who yuh players are when sending a tckt
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Missing a flight and send a tck 4 Glenroy instead of Colin no comparission. People does miss flight evry day but yuh have 2  b special 2 not know who yuh players are when sending a tckt
        I don't know if this still applies when you travelling,you got to be in the Airport three hours before flight take off but you are right people miss flights every day,i missed my flight when i was coming back from home but it was my fault not reading the ticket properly.
        The thing you are a professional,this is an important assignment,this is for your country,all i'm saying is he could do better than that.I remember when i had a game i didn't used to sleep when the day comes because i did not want to miss the game.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
No discussion. You been selected to wear the red white and black. Its an honour. Don't drag the flag. You can't organise yourself to reach an airport on time? Yuh serious? What delayed you? Had to stop for doubles? A quick ting wit yuh outside gyal?

This is their career, their chosen profession. A good performance here could lead to an overseas contract. You make damn sure you reach early. A man don't know anyone RELIABLE who can carry him?

Personally, the man now needs to work his way back into the team via training, if he can prove his worth. For me, his card is marked. One more incident like this and he's history. (I'm assuming he had not reasonable excuse like a medical emergency in his family)

This lack of professionalism is an indication of how players view their careers and responsibilities. No wonder we're in a jam.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I don't know if this still applies when you travelling,you got to be in the Airport three hours before flight take off but you are right people miss flights every day,i missed my flight when i was coming back from home but it was my fault not reading the ticket properly.
        The thing you are a professional,this is an important assignment,this is for your country,all i'm saying is he could do better than that.I remember when i had a game i didn't used to sleep when the day comes because i did not want to miss the game.

Not excusing him 4 missin d flight. God alone knows what happen. Only yday ah friiend had 2 bolt 2 d plane because d traffic 2 Piarco was worse than normal becasue of d rain. So he should b blamed but d Samuel mix up is 1 4 d ages.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Could have been involved in an accident and had to wait for police...

any number of things could have happened. alyuh take allyuh time
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
WEll Said FF. If he is coming from Orlando and new to the set up he would not have known some very long lines just to get pass Security. It took me 2hrs once just to clear customs and I was early. That is why I asked the question?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
Understand yuh point but until we know why he missed the flight let's save the judgement!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
Ah man miss his flight and people done start to talk about discipline!! Steups!!

Allyuh know if he got in an accident? If there was traffic? If there was an emergency?  What if the taxi that supposed to take him to the airport reach late?

Why some ah allyuh always like to jump in with some kinda negative assumptions for every facking ting  ???

Pick sense from nonsense, he missed his flight, so most likely if they persist with him coming, he will be coming in with a bit of jetlag on a date closer to a 3 game tournament with a game every other day.

They simply decided to go for a player who has been training with the team instead.........no maths there!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
I am all for discipline. Bt right now we only hearing one side of the story. let's hear his side of the story. Did he have prior club commitments. Did Eve and them tell him what day to reach in Dominica.  What kind of ticket arrangement was made? Pick up somewhere, internet ? Did he have to buy his own and be rembursed? We don't know.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
Congrats Angus. Well done to reverse a dangerous trend with Grenada. The pressure was on you but you delivered.  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
All i will say about this is the Coach and who ever else in authority have all the facts and saw it fit to discipline,i trust their judgement.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
Ah man miss his flight and people done start to talk about discipline!! Steups!!

Allyuh know if he got in an accident? If there was traffic? If there was an emergency?  What if the taxi that supposed to take him to the airport reach late?

Why some ah allyuh always like to jump in with some kinda negative assumptions for every facking ting  ???

Pick sense from nonsense, he missed his flight, so most likely if they persist with him coming, he will be coming in with a bit of jetlag on a date closer to a 3 game tournament with a game every other day.

They simply decided to go for a player who has been training with the team instead.........no maths there!

ah love it!!

While that is very much plausable, it could also be a message from the coach as well.  And if it turns out it is, would there be something wrong with that?

FF if it was something unavoidable then I would  feel like Eve coulda handle it different.  Details will emerge soon enough Trinis luv to talk talk talk talk talk!!!.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
That is what this Forum is about - Keeping them honest

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
Give nuff thanks for the victory!!! Of course I woulda like ah 5-0 scoreline too, but say wha jed, baby steps.
Ah hope dey really didn't send the ticket for the wrong man yes, but whey dat story come from anyway?? THIN AIR???

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
Give nuff thanks for the victory!!! Of course I woulda like ah 5-0 scoreline too, but say wha jed, baby steps.
Ah hope dey really didn't send the ticket for the wrong man yes, but whey dat story come from anyway?? THIN AIR???

Nah da wrong name/ ticket scenes is from senior team campaign some years back

1]; } ?>