June 16, 2024, 01:59:45 AM

Poll

R U supporting the SOE Or not

yes
15 (53.6%)
no
13 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: serious thing yu supporting or not of the SOE  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: serious thing yu supporting or not of the SOE
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:32 AM »
The reduction in crime has been impressive, if not pretty obvious due to the lack of freedom of movement. Also, there is a feeling of increased safety by many. Once we see prosecutions arising fromthe 1000+ arrests we can judge the morality of the SOE.

In other words yuh not looking at cure you juss focused on the colors on the Band-Aid.  I see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
What a load of tata.
I lived in Barbados for 2 years 2 of my daughters are in university there now so don't come across all sarcastic as if I'm talking shyte.
I wonder if you've ever been robbed at gunpoint? Well I have... twice.
Ever had your home broken into? I have .... 4 times
Ever had your father beaten and robbed of his car at his house? I have.
Ever had a good friend's son robbed of his car and shot in the process? I have..
None of these occured in hot spots
So I don't know if the Trinidad you live on is the same planet that I'm referring to but if you feel safe outside of the hotspots in the Trinidad I know before the SOE then you must be either one of them or one damn lucky man

Sorry you had such a suck-ass life... and no thanks, the rest of us don't want to be as miserable as you and will pass on the offer to abrogate our individual freedoms.  Repression from the government is a step up from repression by the criminals, but only in theory.

Trinidad is destined for repression one way or the other.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Northern Division celebrates officers, crime reduction
Published: Mon, 2011-07-11 19:06
http://www.guardian.co.tt/node/18503

There has been a 22 per cent reduction in serious crimes in the Northern Division this year when compared to last year’s figures. The announcement was made on Saturday night by the division’s head, Senior Supt Stephen Ramsubhag, during the Second Annual Awards Ceremony held for police officers.
The function was held at the Makandal Daaga Auditorium, University of the West Indies, St Augustine.
He said the anti-crime initiatives implemented within his division resulted in a 22 per cent crime reduction from January to June, 2011.

He said: “Crime strategy is in alignment with the crime plan and these initiatives resulted in the 22 per cent reduction for January 1 to June  2011 in comparison with 2010. This is a significant achievement of which we should feel proud.” He said special incentives were responsible for the high motivation level with the lawmen. Ramsubhag said during the period January 1 to June 2011 a total of 46 firearms and 2,696 rounds of assorted ammunition were seized. He said a total of 1,461 warrants were executed on individuals and this resulted in the incarceration of several people on the wanted list. Ramsubhag said among the warrants executed 609 were for the arrests of “dead beat dads.”

He said the division also implemented a new community outreach programme called the “Neighbour Police Officer.” “These police officers will work along main stream officers in their station district, make foot patrols and interact with residents. This will provide positive influence for growth. They will be assigned to the district and will work alongside the officers and are required to interact and foster better relationship with citizens,” he said. Ramsubhag said the growth of police youth clubs in the communities would also assist in the fight against crime. During the function Ramsubhag along with Assistant Commissioner Eulyna Julius, acting Supt Samuel Bullen and Cpl Matthew Haywood were given special awards. Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs, deputy commissioners Jack Ewatski, Mervyn Richardson and other senior officers attended. Julius congratulated the officers for their good work.

On this basis alone I could say no. As I said before 2009 was less than 2008, 2010 was less than 2009 and they were boasting in July about an even further reduction in crime.

The government deceived the public using scare tactics to engage in this action. Imagine the Government of any other country in the world implementing a state of emergency with without actually saying why. In T&T its a secret but that's ok.  Police Operations are fine, I have no problem with arresting known criminal lowlifes. But  I can't help but get the idea that some guys getting hold at random.

The associated loss of revenue to the country is unacceptable under these circumstances. The police could have done the job without this State of Emergency.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Boasting about a reduction in crime during a State of Emergency is like gloating about losing weight during a famine... :mackdaddy:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
What a load of tata.
I lived in Barbados for 2 years 2 of my daughters are in university there now so don't come across all sarcastic as if I'm talking shyte.
Ever had a good friend's son robbed of his car and shot in the process? I have..
So I don't know if the Trinidad you live on is the same planet that I'm referring to but if you feel safe outside of the hotspots in the Trinidad I know before the SOE then you must be either one of them or one damn lucky man

Sorry you had such a suck-ass life... and no thanks, the rest of us don't want to be as miserable as you and will pass on the offer to abrogate our individual freedoms.  Repression from the government is a step up from repression by the criminals, but only in theory.

Maybe if you actually lived in Trinidad you would realise that this suck ass life is what most trinis have with the crime situation.
Sit on your ivory tower and lambaste people that want the end of this crime scourge and are willing to make sacrifices because you think there are larger, dire plots afoot by the government.
See how much you think of your freedom when some thug ends your life.

Anyhow the SOE in place and really nobody that matters listening to you.

Its people like YOU that make people like the Duvaliers in Haiti possible. You are missing the entire point. Yuh cyar see the forest for the trees.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
What a load of tata.

Maybe if you actually lived in Trinidad you would realise that this suck ass life is what most trinis have with the crime situation.
Sit on your ivory tower and lambaste people that want the end of this crime scourge and are willing to make sacrifices because you think there are larger, dire plots afoot by the government.
See how much you think of your freedom when some thug ends your life.

Anyhow the SOE in place and really nobody that matters listening to you.

Its people like YOU that make people like the Duvaliers in Haiti possible. You are missing the entire point. Yuh cyar see the forest for the trees.

so kamla is now mama doc duvalier :rotfl: :rotfl:  t&t does only elect dictators oui! :rotfl:  all dis thread need is attentionseeker come with some cryptic nonsense post.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:42:54 AM by ribbit »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
Defensively amusing comment: decipher that, Sisyphus.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
Alyuh taking on Ribbit, he living in de sky. He can keep looking down here, yuh will have to excuse his position.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
The gov't take in front and nip the strikes in the bud and supposedly averted a major crisis. But the fact of the matter is the crisis has been evolving over a twenty year period. I have argued for this many a time when addressing our crime situation in the past. It is not only about losing freedom or revenue. It is also about reassessing our actions as a nation. I agree with Bakes that the gov't should ensure that we are protected, but we who live in Trinidad have been guilty of many petty offenses that have gone under the radar for a long time. The indiscipline of those who flout the traffic laws etc. is only the start point for a nation corroding under a constant corner cutting by its citizens.

What is truly difficult about Trinidad nowadays is the fear you feel for women and children. I work with kids whose parents constantly have to balance their freedoms with a level of caution that would be unnecessary in other places. E.G. in my day, I remember walking to a party and discovering that it had been canceled and walking back home at 10 in the night. Most parents I know would not dream of having their kids do that. Maybe within their neighborhood which is under a localized crime watch, but certainly not beyond those boundaries. Moreover, women who walked up Chancellor Hill on an evening, now have to walk in large groups or with two or more males due to the repeated incidents of rape. I could site other examples, but when you assess the degree of separation from you to the ones affected by crime, if it didn't happen to you or a loved one, consider yourself fortunate.

Many of us have accepted that there are certain practices that you must adhere to e.g. do not leave a laptop on your backseat for a 5 minutes to run in the bank. Or make sure to park your car in a well lit heavy traffic area in the night. Or how about not going to an isolated beach for a romantic rendezvous.

It may or may not have taken a state of emergency to deal with crime down here. But we have very real problems and when a criminal minority is affecting the lives of a non-criminal majority, what freedoms are we giving up that we haven't already mentally adjusted to?
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
I don't want people to think that I just objecting for the sake of objecting... I have real issues with what going on with this SoE.  Granted that my voice don't count as much as the people in TnT bearing the brunt, I still feel the need to articulate some concerns as follows:

1. I have no problem with a State of Emergency per se... but there must be a legitimate emergency, not some kinda vaps move score cheap political points, as this seems to be.

2. If there is a legitimate emergency then it is one of the governments creation... and no I not trying to lay all of it at the PP's feet, obviously crime didn't just start escalating out of control.  However, this is a government that campaigned on a promise to reduce crime, and yes, we all know that campaign promises are fool's gold, but they promised to at least try, vis-a-vis a plan.  Where is the plan?  The plan eventually morphed into "the new CoP will present one"... except nobody bothered to tell him, as has become the customary slipshod practice of this government... they come across like they don't know what they doing.

3. Without addressing crime, it has not surprisingly escalated to the point it's at now... and NOW they want to foist this State of Emergency on the nation, at the price of individual liberties and economic activity.  These are very steep prices to pay.

4. Even with the SoE now in place 2 weeks later, we still can't get a straight answer from them on anything.  It took how many days just to understand what was going on?  Now they want to extend it... but if there was an imminent crisis two weeks ago, is it their argument that said crisis still exists today?  What then did they do with the 'intelligence' they had concerning it?  Did they act on it.... wasn't that the purpose of invoking emergency powers?  And even more elementary... what was this crisis?  The nation deserves answers and none seem forthcoming.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
  The nation deserves answers and none seem forthcoming.

For sure. And what is even worse is that we probably will never be given a straight one. Common crime in Trinidad and to a much lesser extent Tobago has become violent, but the old addage still applies... we do not manufacture guns here, nor do we produce produce cocaine. But those who bring/allow it into our country are not the ones doing the everyday robbing and killing. Until that is addressed, and I see no sight of it being addressed, we cannot for certain measure any real success in any crime fighting initiative. I think if a year or two from now we could let our guard down mentally, then we could probably attribute some of it to this initiative. That certainly would provide some measure in my mind. Nothing anyone could say now would appease me short of a definitive, "The extra large men who responsible for the drug trade and gun shipments are all being shut down, and small men who ehn lock up, your days numbered"
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 05:28:41 AM »
4. Even with the SoE now in place 2 weeks later, we still can't get a straight answer from them on anything.  It took how many days just to understand what was going on?  Now they want to extend it... but if there was an imminent crisis two weeks ago, is it their argument that said crisis still exists today?  What then did they do with the 'intelligence' they had concerning it?  Did they act on it.... wasn't that the purpose of invoking emergency powers?  And even more elementary... what was this crisis?  The nation deserves answers and none seem forthcoming.

Same thing I basically saying over in the next thread......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
... and that raises the question: why are there two threads?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:12:57 AM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
‎"They that give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

*****Benjamin Franklin*****

1]; } ?>