June 10, 2024, 11:20:18 PM

Author Topic: CBTT honours Alvin Corneal  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CBTT honours Alvin Corneal
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:50:30 AM »
CBTT honours Alvin Corneal
By Kevon Felmine (T&T Guardian)

A former national footballer, cricket media personality and the longest serving member of the FIFA technical group, Alvin Corneal was described as a renaissance man and inspiration to many. Corneal was presented with a plaque by acting president Timothy Hamel-Smith as he was honoured by the Citizens for a Better Trinidad and Tobago (CBTT) at their 2011 National Republic Day Award at the Servol Institute in La Romaine. Hamel-Smith lauded Corneal achievements saying: “Today we come to honour a man who was understood, I dare say all his life, what it means to be given the opportunity to flourish. Alvin Corneal being described as a renaissance man in the sporting circle. A former Fatima College student, we see him today as a beacon, an inspiration to others as to what we can become when we put minds to it.”

Hamel-Smith said Corneal lived his life with his eyes on a higher prize of lifting others as he ascended the ladder of success. When it was his turn to speak, the man of the hour chose to address the children in the audience, describing them as the most important people there. He urged them to be good children to their parents, the most important commodity in their lives. Hamel-Smith and Corneal were then treated to some spirited entertainment by two students of the San Fernando Boys Government, led by their teacher Eprahim Ramkissoon on the keyboard. The school’s reigning calypso monarch, nine-year-old Joshua Hinds intrigued the audience with his performance of Portraits of Trinidad.

He outlined his life intentions to Corneal in song.

“I want to be a plus not a minus, to multiply not to divide, to be a circle not a square...I want to be the Prime Minister.”

Acting president Timothy Hamel-Smith presents Alvin Corneal
with the 2011 Republic Day award on Monday at Servol, La Romaine.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CBTT honours Alvin Corneal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »
Deserving award!!!  :applause:

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Alvin was a boos footballer and a good cricketer in his day representing T&T in football and Cricket. As a Malvern man I have my bias but let us give Jack his jacket and Jim his Jim boots. This award is well deserved

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
All bias aside...nuff respect

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
When last did Alvin achieve anything of note? Do you get awards for being a good player in the 60s. Well then the list is long and there are many outstanding players!
All Alvin does is criticize players and pushes his son who is one of the biggest underachievers!

This place is upside down. Who are the persons who made that recommendation. What was the selection process? I think I recall seeing his son as a member of that organization? I don't think it is well deserved !

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
When last did Alvin achieve anything of note? Do you get awards for being a good player in the 60s. Well then the list is long and there are many outstanding players!
All Alvin does is criticize players and pushes his son who is one of the biggest underachievers!

This place is upside down. Who are the persons who made that recommendation. What was the selection process? I think I recall seeing his son as a member of that organization? I don't think it is well deserved !

Agreed !!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »

Maybe ... just maybe ... if Mr. Femline's article was more penetrating and substantive we would have obtained a better idea of the runnings. One suspects that CBTT outlined the basis more comprehensively than expressed in the article ... after all, that is ordinarily standard procedure at events such as the one at issue. HOWEVER, "National Republic Day" and citizenship (see the article) probably have something to to with it.

Nonetheless ... Just as a man could be accused of dark deeds behind the scenes, that man also could be engaged in good deeds privately. In any event, good men are rarely honoured in their own land ... who is to say, Anton Corneal is an entirely bad man.

And, btw, the award surely is not restricted to "playing in the 60s". In fact, one could make a good case for that being a minor element of the award.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

Maybe ... just maybe ... if Mr. Femline's article was more penetrating and substantive we would have obtained a better idea of the runnings. One suspects that CBTT outlined the basis more comprehensively than expressed in the article ... after all, that is ordinarily standard procedure at events such as the one at issue. HOWEVER, "National Republic Day" and citizenship (see the article) probably have something to to with it.

Nonetheless ... Just as a man could be accused of dark deeds behind the scenes, that man also could be engaged in good deeds privately. In any event, good men are rarely honoured in their own land ... who is to say, Anton Corneal is an entirely bad man.

Not meaning to rain on the good feelings parade but...

Its well known the Corneals have helped numerous individuals with trials, scholarships, have lent expertise, reccomended changes in youth programs etc. No doubt both Alvin and Anton are deserving of accolades for their contributions.

A prophet hath no honour among the established orders because they seek to overturn those orders. The Corneals are honoured members of the sports community. They are not prophets. And its just an award...

Carry on
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »
You eh rain on de parade at all ... you help to support my position. Aside from that, I'm always intrigued by the inseverable father from son positions. The award went to Alvin but it didn't take long for Anton to be maligned.

I don't have a reason to be either an apologist, defender or attacker of Alvin Corneal ... it is high time that issues rather personality dominate our football ethos.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
Alvin is a selfish type who looks after his own interest! Believe me he did not help people for free and got something out of it ! Only a selfless individual who does good for community and country is deserving of such awards! Not a man who does anything to put himself and son in positions they do not deserve, How could you be awarded for self interest?

1]; } ?>