May 22, 2024, 10:46:40 PM

Author Topic: Beating the jet lag....could work for Socawarriors  (Read 1659 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Beating the jet lag....could work for Socawarriors
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:22:20 PM »
West Indies beat jet lag
By Tony Cozier (Trinidad & Tobago Express)
Sunday, October 23rd 2005

THE West Indies management has come up with a novel way of beating the jet lag for their team that is the inevitable upshot of flying half-way across the world to get to Australia.

It is to get them immediately into training and practice as if their 30-hours journey was no more than a hop from Barbados to Trinidad.

Only hours after their arrival in Brisbane on Friday morning, the initial batch of 11 who flew in from the Caribbean, via London, were in the hotel swimming pool loosening up under the direction of fitness coordinator Bryce Cavanaugh.

That workout was followed by a fielding session at the Allan Border Field, where they open their tour on Thursday with a four-day match against Queensland, and light work in the gym.

The intensity was increased yesterday with an all-day session of net practice, fielding drills and gym work at the same venue from nine a.m. to five p.m., breaking only for lunch.

"The idea is to get everyone's sleeping patterns right, to coincide with the clock in Australia," manager Tony Howard explained. "Once they're kept active during the day, they can have a long and good night's sleep. We'll judge the results tomorrow (Sunday) but so far it seems to have had the desired effect."

Even Chris Gayle and Wavell Hinds, who arrived on an early morning flight, were involved in yesterday's all-day practice. They were granted leave to remain a day longer in Kingston for personal reasons. Devon Smith, who came in on Friday night following his delayed connection out of Grenada, and Brian Lara who joined the team from Sydney where he played for the World team in last week's Super Test against Australia, also joined the practice.

It took some time for Lara to get hold of his luggage on Friday. He picked up an identical suitcase to his at Brisbane airport by mistake and it took a few hours tracking down the owner to make the swap.

Howard described facilities at the Allan Border Field as "excellent".

"There was a bowling machine in each net, the pitches were good and the gym more than adequate," he said.

With his contacts in Brisbane, where he coached Queensland for three seasons and headed the Australian Cricket Academy before taking up the West Indies post a year ago, Bennett King has lined up local players to assist in net practice.

With club matches on, none was available yesterday but they are expected to join the sessions from today.

King said on arrival he was especially keen to recruit leg-spinners to give the West Indies batsmen practice in anticipation of their forthcoming confrontations with Shane Warne and, increasingly likely, Stuart MacGill in the three Tests.

MacGill was not fazed by King's plan.

"It's all very well having young leg-spinners or even established leg-spinners bowling to you in the nets but, realistically speaking, when it comes to facing a particular bowler, there's nothing like getting out in the middle and holding your breath," he told the Australian newspaper.

Support for his inclusion alongside Warne in Australia's starting XI for the first Test at Brisbane's Gabba continues to grow.

Trevor Bayliss, who is coach of MacGill's New South Wales team, based his endorsement on what he saw as the West Indies' traditional weakness against wrist spin. He cited the successes of Bob Holland in the 1980s and Michael Bevan, with his occasional left-arm chinamen and googlies, in Adelaide eight years ago.

"He (MacGill) bowls a lot of wrong 'uns (googlies) and the West Indies have shown in the past they don't pick the leg-spinners as well when they bowl wrong 'uns," he said.

MacGill played alongside Warne in the first three of the four Tests in the West Indies in 1999 and it was Warne who was dropped for the last. But last week's Super Test was only their tenth in the same team. While the West Indies were busy getting ready for their tour at the Allan Border Field, the Queensland team they meet prior to the first Test were defeating Tasmania by two wickets in a one-day ING Cup match a few miles away at the Gabba.

Matthew Hayden, Shane Watson, Andrew Symonds and Andy Bichel were the Australian caps in Queensland's XI. All are expected to turn out against the West Indies, providing a tough lead-up to the first Test.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Beating the jet lag....could work for Socawarriors
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:34:02 PM »
the way tallman movin tonight dis post gone in cricket board longgg days
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:46:59 PM »
Nah nah...it was posted solely for using that apporach when we fly into Bahrain and only have something like 3 days to beat the jet lag. 

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 07:16:45 PM »
That flight (i assuming Jack linking a direct flight for us) will be 13 hours long.
If we hadda go through London, we dead.
Going Australia is a different matter, it much further.

So I read somewhere we leaving 2 hours after the TT game on Nov 12.

So the game carded for 6pm, so it will done at about 8pm.

Flight leaving 11, we Trinis will run a lill late.

Bahrain is 6 hours ahead of TT time.

That means when they reach Bahrain, it will be about 6pm on Sunday, although their body clock will be saying it is really 12 noon.

The best thing would be to rush them in an intense training session for 2 hrs after landing, then hit a real big dinner and take 2-3 glass of red wine.

That will put them to sleep good and proper by 11pm, although their body will feel like 5pm.

Then Monday and Tue to do some tuning up.

The good thing is that the temperature in bahrain will be about the same in Trinidad in November (27-31C).

I wonder if the fact that them players coming from Europe 5 days before the game will be in T&T long enough for their body clock to switch to TT time. If it doesnt switch fully, then the bahrain jet lag will not be so bad.
Anyhow u look at it, it rough.
But our players i think have much much more experience dealing with jet lag than Bahrain.
Wonder if FIFA coulda have the games 1 week apart....

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 07:47:20 PM »
I have no doubt that we will get this one right but de players have tuh co-operate.

Ting is when we leave it will already be 5 a.m in bambam suh deh should start tuh match de sleep/awake pattern while on de plane to sync as quickly as possible when deh get there.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:20:21 PM »
wont it be better if we fly westwards..like through L.A..instead of through London?
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:40:03 PM »
tallman has  an eye of a hawk boy, he spotting anything in sight dat out of order padnah ;D

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:10:32 PM »
wont it be better if we fly westwards..like through L.A..instead of through London?

usually that makes more sense as it is much easier on the body because of the time u save, but i guess bahrain is to far west to travel, so it might not make sense.
If is was Australia, Korea etc etc, it might be worth it.
I think its almost double the distance if u go west, so i dont know if that will cancel any advantage of flying through LA.
Plus I think we might be going via direct flight to Bahrain, well at least i hope!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:12:13 PM by Trini »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:41:33 PM »

I doh understand how they could schedule a playoff between a CONCACAF team and an Asian team to be 4 days apart.
Next time they better try and make an exception for this particular fixture since is only once it happening and is a long ass distance.

Maybe they constrained by the International Match calendar.....like how we play 2 games at a time in the Hex 4 days apart.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »
gettin de draw ready is fifa goal, dey wat results 2 start planning and groupin de world cup teams, time is of essence, de draw in december

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:57 PM »
Uruguay trying to get their return leg game changed because of the time difference, but ah suppose dat is besides de point.
I does beat jet lag by getting drunk after work fuh three nights.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 11:35:24 AM »
pelting ah rounds does usaully put me sound asleep.

no matter what part of the world i in ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »
pelting ah rounds does usaully put me sound asleep.

no matter what part of the world i in ;D

a lil to much information there boss
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

1]; } ?>