June 03, 2024, 02:47:58 PM

Author Topic: Jones: Guyana clash as big as Bahrain.  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones: Guyana clash as big as Bahrain.
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:35:10 AM »
T&T Guardian Reports.

Soca Warriors captain, Kenwyne Jones says his team’s 2014 World Cup Concacaf Group B Second Round qualifier away to Guyana on Friday night is as big as when T&T played Bahrain on November 16, 2005.

Back then a second-half header from now retired defender Dennis Lawrence secured a 1-0 away win for T&T in Manama and a 2-1 win on aggregate after the first-leg in T&T ended 1-1 four days earlier to qualify for its first ever FIFA World Cup Finals in Germany 2006.

But in order for the Soca Warriors to continue its quest for a second World Cup appearance, they must avoid losing in Guyana, a place where they have played unbeaten in four previous matches since 1987.

Guyana currently leads the four-team Group B standing with ten points from four matches, one ahead of the Soca Warriors ahead of their clash at Providence Stadium, from 7 pm. Third is Bermuda with four points followed by Barbados without a point.

The winner of the four-team group will advance to the Third Round qualification group which already involves Mexico, Costa Rica and Second Round Group A winner, likely to be El Salvador from which two teams qualify for the six-team Concacaf Final Round qualifiers.

Speaking after an intense two-hour training session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo yesterday, Jones who missed the previous two matches against Bermuda—a loss and the 4-0 win over Barbados—said, “Its moments like these as a footballer you live for.

“Against Guyana its going to be as big as when we faced Bahrain for me because its a crunch match and we need to go there and get a good result or else it will be the end for us. The Stoke City forward said his thoughts at this time were the same as the rest of the team and technical staff.

“We have two big matches and more so the first encounter on Friday which we see as a must win game. It’s a pressure situation and it’s something we as players have to deal with but we are all looking forward to it at the same time.”

With respect to the Guyana team which has never beaten T&T in 13 previous encounters (10 losses and three draws) and is coached by T&T-born Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA coach, Jamaal Shabazz, Jones said he expects a tough game.

“I’m expecting Guyana to play hard as they have been doing so far during the qualifying campaign and come out and give us a stern test because just like us they want to get to the next round of qualification.”

“But at the same time, we know what the task is ahead and as a team we need to go and impose ourselves from very early and try and win the match. Commenting on the growth of the team since its opening 1-0 win over Bermuda, Jones said he has seen steady progress.

“It’s been a steady process of progress as we have a good group of guys and over the last couple matches some new faces have also been added to the team which is gelling well. “We had a great result in the last match with Barbados (4-0) and we want to push on and impose ourselves early.

Today the local 20-man squad headed by German-born national coach Otto Pfister will depart for Georgetown, from 7.30 am. The Soca Warriors are then expected to train later today in Guyana at a venue to be determined ahead of one session at the match venue on Thursday before Friday’s clash.

Bermuda will host Barbados on Friday and Tuesday in the other remaining matches in the group.

T&T 20-man squad

Marvin Phillip, Jan-Michael Williams, Carlyle Mitchell, Seon Power , Akeem Adams, Andrei Pacheco, Anthony Wolfe, Julius James, Keon Daniel, Osei Telesford, Hughtun Hector, Hayden Tinto, Khaleem Hyland, Lester Peltier, Carlos Edwards, Kendall Jagdeosingh, Kevin Molino, Chris Birchall, Stern John and Kenwyne Jones.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: Jones: Guyana clash as big as Bahrain.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »
T&T 20-man squad

Marvin Phillip, Jan-Michael Williams, Carlyle Mitchell, Seon Power , Akeem Adams, Andrei Pacheco, Anthony Wolfe, Julius James, Keon Daniel, Osei Telesford, Hughtun Hector, Hayden Tinto, Khaleem Hyland, Lester Peltier, Carlos Edwards, Kendall Jagdeosingh, Kevin Molino, Chris Birchall, Stern John and Kenwyne Jones.

big big team there yes!
im happy and a bit comforted to know that the guys knows the importance of this game. Come game time I hope they bring it. True soca warrior style! We ha de talent! :beermug:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:44:50 AM by Tallman »
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »
This is it.  I say a prayer for the Warriors.
......  Iz warrrr.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:46 AM »
Only positive vibes from this point.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »
T&T Guardian Reports.

Soca Warriors captain, Kenwyne Jones says his team’s 2014 World Cup Concacaf Group B Second Round qualifier away to Guyana on Friday night is as big as when T&T played Bahrain on November 16, 2005.

Back then a second-half header from now retired defender Dennis Lawrence secured a 1-0 away win for T&T in Manama and a 2-1 win on aggregate after the first-leg in T&T ended 1-1 four days earlier to qualify for its first ever FIFA World Cup Finals in Germany 2006.

But in order for the Soca Warriors to continue its quest for a second World Cup appearance, they must avoid losing in Guyana, a place where they have played unbeaten in four previous matches since 1987.

Guyana currently leads the four-team Group B standing with ten points from four matches, one ahead of the Soca Warriors ahead of their clash at Providence Stadium, from 7 pm. Third is Bermuda with four points followed by Barbados without a point.

The winner of the four-team group will advance to the Third Round qualification group which already involves Mexico, Costa Rica and Second Round Group A winner, likely to be El Salvador from which two teams qualify for the six-team Concacaf Final Round qualifiers.

Speaking after an intense two-hour training session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo yesterday, Jones who missed the previous two matches against Bermuda—a loss and the 4-0 win over Barbados—said, “Its moments like these as a footballer you live for.

“Against Guyana its going to be as big as when we faced Bahrain for me because its a crunch match and we need to go there and get a good result or else it will be the end for us. The Stoke City forward said his thoughts at this time were the same as the rest of the team and technical staff.

“We have two big matches and more so the first encounter on Friday which we see as a must win game. It’s a pressure situation and it’s something we as players have to deal with but we are all looking forward to it at the same time.”

With respect to the Guyana team which has never beaten T&T in 13 previous encounters (10 losses and three draws) and is coached by T&T-born Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA coach, Jamaal Shabazz, Jones said he expects a tough game.

“I’m expecting Guyana to play hard as they have been doing so far during the qualifying campaign and come out and give us a stern test because just like us they want to get to the next round of qualification.”

“But at the same time, we know what the task is ahead and as a team we need to go and impose ourselves from very early and try and win the match. Commenting on the growth of the team since its opening 1-0 win over Bermuda, Jones said he has seen steady progress.

“It’s been a steady process of progress as we have a good group of guys and over the last couple matches some new faces have also been added to the team which is gelling well. “We had a great result in the last match with Barbados (4-0) and we want to push on and impose ourselves early.

Today the local 20-man squad headed by German-born national coach Otto Pfister will depart for Georgetown, from 7.30 am. The Soca Warriors are then expected to train later today in Guyana at a venue to be determined ahead of one session at the match venue on Thursday before Friday’s clash.

Bermuda will host Barbados on Friday and Tuesday in the other remaining matches in the group.

T&T 20-man squad

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
Only person I missing is Darryl Roberts.

Go T&T show the region what we're made of. . .6 points.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
Look how we need prayers for Guyana eh?

As clear an indication of the reality of our football as any.

Hopefully is a case of us hitting bottom and we can only go upwards from here on...because I cyah imagine any lower than this
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »

Hopefully is a case of us hitting bottom and we can only go upwards from here on...because I cyah imagine any lower than this

After our Bermuda experience I would advise you to join the prayers as well!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

bring yuh shovel palos
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
we must take back the leadership in the caribbean again. we losing respect and pride. go tnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »

bring yuh shovel palos
Ooooohhhhh  garrrdoooooooo!!   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

What yuh tryin' tuh say about Guyana?  :D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T captain: Another ‘Bahrain like’ situation
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/11/10/tt-captain-another-bahrain-situation

The Pro Look

T&T captain: Another ‘Bahrain like’ situation

Published: Thu, 2011-11-10 18:57

With the six-year anniversary of this country’s 1-0 victory over Bahrain in Manama approaching November 16, current national team captain Kenwyne Jones says T&T’s clash with Guyana tomorrow is in a way similar to the magnitude of the clash in which Dennis Lawrence’s goal pushed the “Soca Warriors” through to the 2006 World Cup Finals.

“It feels good and I’m honoured to be the captain of the team today after being one of the youngsters in the team back in 2005. There were a lot of senior guys around now who I developed under and to be one of the more experienced guys now and with the opportunity to lead the team to another World Cup, it’s definitely a moment in my career that I’m really looking forward to putting my best foot forward,” Jones said.

“I think this game against Guyana is similar to the Bahrain game in many ways because it’s a game we need to avoid losing as well as try to get a victory and it’s two matches home and away just like it was against Bahrain. We are on the road in the first match but once we get a good result then we have it all to play for in our own territory,” added Jones, who was brought into the starting team by Leo Beenhakker in Manama in a tactical move by the Dutchman.

Beenhakker had opted to bring Russell Latapy off the bench in the second half and allow Jones to partner Stern John in attack from the opening whistle.

Sunderland coach rates Digicel Academy highly

Sunderland Academy coach Kevin Ball says he’s been privileged to work in Trinidad over the past week as one of the coaches overseeing the Digicel Elite Football Academy which has produced fruits of hard labour. Ball along with former England international John Barnes and Carlton Fairweather worked with outstanding young footballers from the Caribbean and Panama in Port- of-Spain and Ball explained at the conclusion of the camp that there was definite talent to be nurtured.

“There’s been some very specific ways in which we’ve been able to see the fruits of our labour. It goes without saying that it’s been an honour and privilege to come across here in the capacity of represent Sunderland AFC  and to work in an environment like this is very fulfilling in a personal sense,” Ball said on Sunderland TV. “We have worked very hard over the five days in the academy and we’ve been lucky to have had access to great facilities at the T&T national (Hasely Crawford) stadium and that makes a real difference.”

Commenting on the 37 players themselves, Ball added: “When you bring people in any walk of life together there are always going to be difficulties. However, add in the fact that they’re all under 16-years- old, from very different  backgrounds with language barriers, there’s always a concern of how they’re going to knit together and we’ve seen the young players do exactly that over the past five days.”

“They all loved having the ball at their feet and scoring goals, but while that’s obviously a massive part of the game, it’s also about teamwork and understanding space and working without the ball which wasn’t something we saw early on. As to whether there were any special talents spotted, Ball responded positively, particularly pointing out Panamanian player Ivan Dario Mayoma, who was born in Colombia but dropped off in Panama by his mother who left nothing with him except the clothes he wore at the time and a note asking that someone take care of him.

“When I was chosen by John Barnes for the academy, I could not believe it. I felt like I had something, I felt like I could compete,” said Mayoma. Ball continued: “He’s got a great work-ethic about him and is a real player. And it’s stories like that and helping young lads like him that makes it really great for us to have these sort of opportunities.”

Birchall ready to do battle

Back in the squad after missing the two previous World Cup qualifiers due to injury, LA Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall is relishing the opportunity to turn up against Guyana in a do or die situation for the “Soca Warriors”. Birchall has been enjoying a winning streak with La Galaxy making it through to the MLS Cup Final against Houston Dynamo on November 20.

“Right now winning is all I’m accustomed to and its all I’m thinking about,” said Birchall, one of the surviving members of the 2006 World Cup squad, who scored with a fabulous shot from atop the box in the 1-1 draw with Bahrain in the first qualifying leg in 2005.

“I remember that goals like if it was yesterday and these games against Guyana are around the same time of November. Definitely there’s going to be a lot of memories rushing back and hopefully this can inspire some of the boys, who were in the team back then and are still around today.  “I would want some of the new boys to realise the significance of both occasions. We must wear the shirt with pride, work as a team and give it everything to secure our place in the next round,” Birchall added.

Shabazz describes T&T as ‘Goliath’

Trinidadian Jamaal Shabazz, head coach of Guyana football team, believes T&T is underestimating Guyana as they head into tomorrow’s vital 2014 World Cup qualifier in Providence.  Speaking at a press conference hosted by the Guyana Football Federation on Monday, the Caledonia AIA boss stated that he was confident that T&T could get a rude awakening.  “The coach further added that the factor which is expected to give Guyana the edge in the battle is the element of surprise. Even though T&T is one point below us in the points standing I still think they don’t see us. They have not conceded that the Guyana team is a good team. We are going to be able to prove that,” Shabazz said.

“It is good to know what opponent you are facing and have some knowledge about how they play but in football that can work for and against you. For me, it’s both because we would know who to look out for in certain situations and also add to our pattern of play.  “We are really hoping that the Guyanese supporters come out and support the Golden Jaguars since it is really important that we have that 12th man on the field to lift the guys’ spirits as we go against an opponent described as ‘Goliath’,” Shabazz added.

• Shaun Fuentes is the media 
 officer for Soca Warriors/TTFF. Shaunfuentes@yahoo.com

1]; } ?>