May 28, 2024, 06:39:36 PM

Author Topic: Marvin Andrews signs for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin Andrews signs for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:59:53 AM »
Coup for junior side Rob Roy as they sign former Rangers defender Marvin Andrews
By Chris Roberts (Daily Record)

JUNIOR outfit Rob Roy last night pulled off a major coup by signing former Rangers star Marvin Andrews on a short-term deal.

Andrews has been out of football since leaving Wrexham recently and will become the second big-name signing in the non-league ranks this week after another ex-Ibrox star Russell Latapy penned a deal with East Senior side Edinburgh City.

Andrews’ arrival at Adamslie Park will cause a stir and the 35-year-old, who has also played for Raith, Livingston, Queen of the South and Hamilton, is likely to make his debut against Clydebank at Holm Park tomorrow.

He earned 101 caps for Trinidad and Tobago, made 10 appearances for Wrexham last season and played four times for Queens.

Rob Roy manager Jimmy Lindsay knows he will be getting a great player.

He said: “We hope to get international clearance for Marvin to play for us straight away but we will only have him for a month or so as some other club is sure to snap him up.

“We are delighted and it will be a tremendous coup for the club because everybody knows what a great player he is.

“This will be a great signing for the club even if it is for a short period of time.

“I won’t have any problems pitting him in against Clydebank or Auchinleck Talbot in our next two games because he is so good.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Andrews signs for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
Like that is the trini retirement league boy....fete match football for the pros lol

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »
Like that is the trini retirement league boy....fete match football for the pros lol

Like Stern aint get de memo, lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:38 AM »

Like Stern aint get de memo, lol

Stern and Yorke lol

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
Trini version of MLS.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
Clydebank 3 Rob Roy 0
The Scottish Sun

CLYDEBANK star Darian MacKinnon WRECKED Marvin Andrews' Junior debut — then admitted he is a real class act.

The Bankies ace and strike partner Ross McPherson tormented ex-Rangers man Marv and his Rob Roy buddies in a West Premier romp.

MacKinnon set up two and might have had a couple himself — but he only had praise for the veteran Trinidad & Tobago defender, who's joined Rabs on a short-term deal.

Daz said: "It was great playing against Marvin, he is a real big gentleman. He was talking to us all through the game. When I got booked for diving he said it wasn't a dive and told me to calm down and not get myself sent off.

"That was good of him and showed the class of the guy. He didn't need to come and play junior football but he has and to be speaking to young lads like me and giving us tips that might make us better players is really nice of him.

"He was playing at the top level of Scottish football not that long ago.

"And though he hasn't played much recently he's still in great shape.

"He's a big lump of a boy and every time I went up for a header I was waiting for him to come right through the back of me!"

Bankies survived some early Rabs pressure when David Gormley twice came close and Michael Fulton rattled the post.

MacKinnon's pass picked out trialist Adam Strachan — signed on a short-term deal after the match — to drive the opener past Stephen Robertson on 39 minutes.

They sealed the win with two goals in the last ten minutes as MacKinnon played in Vinny Berry to step away from Andrews and fire into the top corner.

Then sub Kieran Burns curled a 20-yard effort in off the post.

It was the perfect response for Bankies to their West of Scotland Cup KO by Glenafton, but not the build-up Rabs wanted for their Emirates Scottish Cup cracker at home to holders Auchinleck next week.

Kirkintilloch boss Jimmy Lindsay sighed: "I am just very disappointed and my big concern is that's now two games and no goals.

"We were scoring so freely at the start of the season but now we seem to have dried up for some reason.

"We're also not passing as well as we were so we need to go back to the drawing board a bit.

"We've got another big game next week, they're coming thick and fast at the moment and it's one to look forward to.

"Big Marvin was fantastic given it was his first game.

"Even just him being about the place the past few days has given the lads a lift, he's a big presence and a great character. The boys have responded well to him."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New Rob Roy signing Marvin Andrews had no idea where club played
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »
New Rob Roy signing Marvin Andrews had no idea where club played
By Chris Roberts (The Daily Record)

MARVIN Andrews signed for Junior outfit Rob Roy - then had to ask their gaffer where the team played.

The former Rangers star agreed a month-long contract with the ambitious Kirkintilloch club on Thursday night but didn't have a clue where their ground was.

It became clear though when boss Jimmy Lindsay told the God-loving player he used to pass close to it on his way to Murray Park.

Lindsay said: "He didn't have a clue where we played or trained.

"I had to tell him it's in Kirkintilloch. He looked at me puzzled but then realised he used to go near it driving to Murray Park."

The Rob Roy gaffer reckons managers were too scared to even ask Marv about a move through fear of being rejected. But Lindsay said: "You never know what you are going to get until you ask the question. I've known him for quite some time. People were maybe too intimidated to ask him but I was bold and asked outright.

"He said, 'Why not" and the rest is history. I didn't see it as being brave - I just gave it a go and luckily he agreed.

"I wouldn't have gone daft had he said no. It says a lot about the player for him to come and see what we're all about."

The 35-year-old has been without a club since leaving Wrexham in 2010.

But he can use the stint in Kirkintilloch to get a move back to the big time.

Lindsay said: "It's an incredible signing for the club but it can also be good for him.

"The deal is done and dusted and we will wait to see what he is like before I pick the team to play Clydebank at Holm Park."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Playing against Marv gave us lift
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Playing against Marv gave us lift
Clydebank Post

ROSS McPherson believes playing against former SPL star Marvin Andrews will be a big benefit to Clydebank this season.

McPherson helped Clydebank secure their third league victory on Saturday against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy with ex-Rangers and Livingston hero Andrews making his debut for the Rabs.

The striker said it was a great experience playing against the towering Trinidad and Tobago international.

He said: "He is an experienced guy and he was helping the guys round about him.

"He was also having a bit of banter with us as well. It gives you a lift testing yourself against players of his standard.

"I don't think he lost a ball in the air. On the deck he has lost a bit of pace.

"But watching him over the years

I think he has always been good in the air."

All the talk before Saturday's clash at Holm Park was about Andrews' Junior debut.

But it was the Bankies who took the plaudits for their terrific performance.

And McPherson has hailed it was one of their best displays of the season so far.

He added: "I would say it's up there. We haven't been playing that badly recently but it seemed to click on Saturday.

"I think it's only the second time we've scored three goals or more this season.

"It gives us confidence going into the Scottish Cup next week and we want to drive on in the league."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ex-Rangers ace Marvin leaving Rob Roy?
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »
Ex-Rangers ace Marvin leaving Rob Roy?
Kirkintilloch Herald

FORMER Rangers player of the year Marvin Andrew could be about to say goodbye to Rob Roy.

The towering defender is expected to move on in the January transfer window.

Rob Roy manager Jimmy Lindsay is hoping to finish 2011 on a high with a Christmas Eve league win against Arthurlie.

He said: “Marvin has taught the players loads and has provided the club with a general boost.

“I’ve been really pleased with the progress we’ve made this year. We started the season with only two signings and got a lot of players in quickly.

“They’ve had their dip and it’s now time for them to get a run together.”

Rob Roy play Arthurlie at Dunterlie Park on Christmas Eve. Kick-off is at 1.45pm. The premier division table is on the right.

Meanwhile, Rossvale’s game against Stonehouse Violet on Saturday was cancelled due to bad weather.

The match was ‘Vale’s last of the year and the second division strugglers will start 2012 in ninth position with nine points from their first 10 games in junior football.

1]; } ?>