June 16, 2024, 01:17:28 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad defeats Costa Rica 2-0 at Under 17's  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad defeats Costa Rica 2-0 at Under 17's
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »
The penalty was a bogus call.

Ah rewind the clip bout 4 times cuz ah was trying to figure out what the ref see that I didn't......so ah glad was just not me.....

oh and yes....well done yutes...... :applause: :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
Great results considering this same T&T team lost 3-0 to Costa Rica just February.

I was now coming to point this out.....there is no way to please people like King Dese.  When we lose, we are shit and when we win, the opponent is shit.  I saw the game and these guys had their backs against the wall with everything to play for.  They fought for each other and got the result they deserved.  I'm very proud ofthis side since under normal circumstances,  we would have been hammered bya country considered to be a CONCACAF powerhouse.

If someone really calls a spade a spade......they would say that even though we drew with Sweden, we shouldve lost......or although we held England goaless for 80+ mins, they shouldve hit us 5 before that.  It is sad when people always find a negative in all situations.

It is amazing that someone doesn't want to give the coaching staff credit when we beat a team who hammered us in a friendly two months ago.

Ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
Great results considering this same T&T team lost 3-0 to Costa Rica just February.

ha cooper said it could have been 5-3 in our favor  ... the result did not reflect the game guess he was right
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »
I am happy for the win too against Costa Rica although I didnot see performance. It seems we still have to do some work but the opprtunities at this level are  important so that we could build consistently and have a comprehensive programme like Mexico and the US so that appearnces at the FIFA World Cup would not be a one off affair. We have reached close in the past before we finally made it on a 4th place berth in 2006 and we could again in the future. I hope Canada wins tonight.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
More feedback from someone who was at the game:

We play well at times but lost shape on several occasions.  Settle down better in the 2nd half.

Some nice talent on view.  I like Andrews, Gomez (best), Sam, and Garcia.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
The defence wasn't too bad at all and Costa Rica did not have any clear cut chances other than the header onto the post.
The penalty was a bogus call. Now we could argue that CR is real toots this rounds, it definitely look so. However we now done collect licks from this same age group not too long ago, so adjustments were made.
The midfield was working too, however there were moments of spectating and not tracking your mark, especially as these latin teams like to pass and move and play 1-2's.
On attack, we actually was looking good after we settle around the 15th minute. A little too much individualism and no set plan to advance the ball. However, dem dellas was shooting on sight, which lead to the goal.
After the goal, we stop playing constructive, went back into a shell and invite Costa Rica to play. It was all voom kick after that. In years past this would have been a recipe for disaster, but a solid back line, some well timed fouls plus a pretty average Costa Rica team allowed us to hold out.
Coming down to the end CR was running out of legs and ideas and allowed us to counterattack much more, which led to the freekick and the insurance goal. It was good skill by the sub, dribbling through two defenders to draw the foul and yellow card.

After that emphatic free kick, CR was deflated and we started to play a little more ball. Still gave away the ball unnecessarily though.
The difference between this team and bertille U-20 team is a Dwight Yorke type talisman.

RE: the first bold ... spot on. Even beyond "1-2s", where movement is intentionally deceptive (say, to distract a marker or to create space) for another player to receive the decisive ball ... what you observed presented a danger ... and it occurred frequently. Because it's U-17 ball, I won't specify players.

Also associated with this is actions by players (jogging back to the defensive side of the ball) who make attempts at winning the ball from positions from which they have little or no chance of winning the ball. This sparks an unnecessary foul or helps generate the attack.

RE: second bold. I haven't finished reviewing the match, but there were some subtleties to suggest the CRC players were at least pyschologically sophisticated. Had their transition game been ... lehwe say, more assertive ... we could have been in for a warm time. Technically, I saw some things that said "Intercol" (time on the ball ... time taken to dominate the ball ... choice of surface to do so), but none of that was fatal for us ... in one case, it even won us a foul.

So ... how do we assess Costa Rica? As a weak team? Or, as a weak Costa Rican team? The Costa Rican commentators noted during the game (so it wasn't Monday morning quarterbacking) that this was a trying period for the youth team when compared to past squads.

Based on what I've seen, I think we had little margin for error ... even against this team not gifted with Medfords and Wanchopes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:55:08 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
More feedback from someone who was at the game:

We play well at times but lost shape on several occasions.  Settle down better in the 2nd half.

Some nice talent on view.  I like Andrews, Gomez (best), Sam, and Garcia.

We play well at times but lost shape on several occasions.  Settle down better in the 2nd half

Exactly. CR still controlled the majority of the game. We have to stop this from happening at all levels when we play CA countries, especiallyy CR and Hondo. and EL Sal. to a lesser extent. But we have some promising yutes.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
Overall, I liked what I saw (aggression, running off de ball, willingness to shoot, trying to play de ball out from de back etc.). I could also go ahead and nitpick about various tings dat ah didn't like, but ah would limit it to two major ones:

1. Didn't really seem to have a defensive shape. Many times you would see about 4 or 5 defenders standing in a line.

2. We made it too easy for Costa Rica to reach our half. I eh know if dis was part of de tactics, but to me it was only inviting trouble.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
Overall, I liked what I saw (aggression, running off de ball, willingness to shoot, trying to play de ball out from de back etc.). I could also go ahead and nitpick about various tings dat ah didn't like, but ah would limit it to two major ones:

1. Didn't really seem to have a defensive shape. Many times you would see about 4 or 5 defenders standing in a line.

2. We made it too easy for Costa Rica to reach our half. I eh know if dis was part of de tactics, but to me it was only inviting trouble.

Dem two things alone made it pleasant to watch a nat'l team again!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »

That is my biggest concern.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
They are young players still learning the game... this is a big step up. What is their level of experience? Commitment to the cause with a sprinkling of individual brilliance and occasional collective interplay is what we getting, anything more is icing. The learning curve is steep and is a big ask for the boys. They get A+ for effort from me.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 06:13:49 PM »
Well done TnT!!! :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
Them boys played with heart and they relly talented...promising future with support!! Well done fellas...make us proud!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
More feedback after I asked where on the field does Gomez play and why he was so impressed with him:

He plays Right Back.  Best in the Tournament Group hands down.  He is modern, fit, aggressive, technical, good in the air, and covers every blade of grass (turf)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
More feedback after I asked where on the field does Gomez play and why he was so impressed with him:

He plays Right Back.  Best in the Tournament Group hands down.  He is modern, fit, aggressive, technical, good in the air, and covers every blade of grass (turf)

your friend has a good eye..Shannon Gomez is our next big thing.. Everytime I have seen this kid play I am utterly impressed. Huge Talent

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Stueps you know how many next big player the TTFF discard. How many players from the last two youth world cups on the senior team? You never hear about them again.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

Undeniable observations. :)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »

Roberts salutes U-17s for winning on ‘astroturf

Published:
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Sean Nero

Text Size: 

Cheerleaders from the Chaguanas North Secondary School entertain participants at the close of the Secondary Schools Leadership Symposium hosted by the Sports Desk at the Cascadia Hotel, St Ann’s, yesterday. Guest speaker on the final day was Sport Minister Anil Roberts. PHOTO: ANDRE ALEXANDER
Sport Minister Anil Roberts has described as tremendous the performance by this country’s under-17 boys’ football team which defeated Costa Rica 2-0 in Monday’s Group B Concacaf World Cup qualifier.

As a consequence, the young Soca Warriors kept their chances alive in qualifying for the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

Speaking at yesterday’s close of the four-day Secondary Schools Leadership Symposium titled No Pain, No Gain produced by The Sports Desk and held at the Cascadia Hotel, Roberts stirred the teen audience with his commendation of the performance from the young squad.

“Let’s salute our under-17 boys for destroying Costa Rica on astroturf because—for you all who don’t understand—playing football on astroturf and grass are two different things. Costa Ricans grew up on astroturfs. We only have one football field, which is Marvin Lee Stadium in Macoya that is astroturf (ready) for football. Therefore, we are at a tremendous disadvantage, because the way you roll your foot on the ball, the way the ball stops, the way it bounces, the way you beat, the way you tackle, is all different from grass. So, for our young men to blow out Costa Rica which has 22 astroturf pitches, is tremendous,” said the minister.

Roberts was at the time underscoring the need for young people to go beyond the call in order to achieve convincingly. If you are supposed to do homework for two hours and you stop, that’s good, he said, because you would have done what you are supposed to do. But, he went on to explain that simply doing what you are told would not make you a leader.

Using the achievement of T&T’s own Dwight Yorke on the international football scene the minister said people look at him (Yorke) and the things he owns and desire to be like him because in their opinion, he is lucky.

What they should know said Robert was that, “Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. Dwight Yorke not lucky! Dwight has God-given skills and he’s a Tobagonian who worked hard, hard, while all of us where liming and partying, he was with a ball in the hot sun whole day in Tobago.

“When coaching finish, Dwight Yorke with his ball; when school finish, Dwight Yorke with his ball. When Dwight Yorke in his bedroom, he with his ball and that’s why Dwight Yorke reached where he reached—not because he did what the coach said. He refused to stop when they said stop.”

Over the past four days, 300 teen participants benefited from a series of interactive sessions with influential sporting personalities such as legendary cricketer Brian Lara, multiple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon, four-time Olympic sprint finalist and bronze medal winner Marc Burns and Olympic cycling finalist Njisane Phillip and world boxing champion Ria Ramnarine.

Covering topics such as Taking Charge, Confidence vs Arrogance, Beating the Odds and the Principle, the gathering also heard from motivational speakers Don La Foucade and Joseph O’Brien, Kwanize John, Brian Lewis and Derek Daniel.
Sport
Related Articles:
Lewis: Marc Burns is a true patriot
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
Ah missing something. Did the Minister do anything to assist the team when they were denied a chance to train on astro turf at the MLS??

Well I glad he noticed the result.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Roberts jokey yes
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
Creed, the son of Anil Roberts right hand man Ashwin Creed is de captain and he made sure and support the team, thank God he son on de team or else is salt.

Now that de team doing well, you go hear Anil big mouth.

De question is, when everything is ova what will Anil do now with de players ?

Anil is a big mouth shit !!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »
Final score at regulation T+T 1 PAN 1 ...Trinidad win on penalties 5-3

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »
Ah missing something. Did the Minister do anything to assist the team when they were denied a chance to train on astro turf at the MLS??

Well I glad he noticed the result.

VB
Hush nah vb...when he coulda open he big trap to get dem the field for practice, church mouse style!!!

And speaking of which, what about all the hullabaloo that was made about the whole astroturf thing?
Them youth and them move as though (like Costa Rica, according to Roberts) they grow up on astroturf.

I LOVE when people point out (the glaringly obvious) that it's different playing on astroturf as opposed to playing on natural grass...REALLY? Thanks for the effing englightment!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>