June 15, 2024, 11:07:38 PM

Author Topic: ESPN, ABC reach agreement with World Cup through 2014  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ESPN, ABC reach agreement with World Cup through 2014
« on: November 02, 2005, 07:34:26 PM »
ESPN, ABC reach agreement with World Cup through 2014
November 2, 2005
BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - ESPN, ABC Sports and ESPN2 will provide exclusive English-language coverage of the FIFA World Cup and Women's World Cup soccer events through 2014.

As part of a United States broadcast rights agreement with FIFA, ESPN, ABC Sports and ESPN2 will televise the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and the 2007 Women's World Cup in China.

ESPN, Inc. also holds the broadcast rights to the Women's World Cup in 2011, and the Confederations Cup in 2009 and 2013 among other FIFA events.

ADVERTISEMENT

"ESPN and ABC Sports will immerse fans in the drama and pageantry of the FIFA World Cup for another eight years, bringing them closer to the world's premier sporting event with cutting-edge technology and our collection of leading multimedia assets," ESPN executive vice president of content John Skipper said. "We will also grow the FIFA Women's World Cup with unprecedented coverage across all of our content outlets."

The three networks have combined to cover the last three World Cups, beginning in 1994 in the United States, and will cover the 2006 edition in Germany. ESPN also televised 15 World Cup matches in Mexico in 1986 and seven in 1982 in Spain.

ABC Sports will air at least 10 live matches during the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, including the championship match. All other remaining matches will be aired by either ESPN or ESPN2.

The 2007 Women's World Cup will be televised on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC Sports with the TV schedule for the 2011 edition to be determined.

The three networks also provide nightly highlight shows, coverage of the preliminary and final draws of the World Cup and opening and closing ceremonies among the comprehensive coverage across ESPN's multimedia assets.

"ABC, ESPN and Univision came to us with a comprehensive package that will not only guarantee coverage of the FIFA World Cup in 2010 and 2014 and all other FIFA tournaments in the men's and women's games but also promote football (soccer) and the FIFA brand even at those times when no tournaments are taking place," FIFA president Joseph Blatter said. "With these two well-known companies, we have ensured that images of our events will be seen by the widest possible audience across the USA's steadily growing football market.

"I am extremely happy with this momentous deal. It is a major milestone in our new TV approach."

ESPN is the parent company of SportsTicker.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: ESPN, ABC reach agreement with World Cup through 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:36:21 PM »
i hope this is just for the US market right?

that commentary for the last WC was real bad here..no life and atmosphere whatsoever...yuh woulda never guess something important was going on..steups
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:48:23 PM »
Tommy Smiths in all yuh arse

Més que un club.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
 if u could understand spanish u better take in the games on a spanish channel...the men dem does really make u feel like u watchin a spectacle

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 10:32:31 PM »
 Boy i cyah take no American commentary,,, >:( but at least they promoting the sport :D

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:50:14 PM »
if u could understand spanish u better take in the games on a spanish channel...the men dem does really make u feel like u watchin a spectacle

for real
I have a clip ah stern john when he score against Mexico and the man bawl GOAAAAAAALLLLL from the time Stern score all through the replay and the ball getting place in the middle to kick off again he still bawling goaaal.

Més que un club.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 10:12:18 AM »
now we have to hear all they stupid stats like who cyar score under 30 degrees and thing.plus the same bias olympic commentary
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:10:25 AM »
american commentary always dull and boring.assist this and assist that.since when yuh have assist in football.IM SORRY SOCCER.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
i hope espn doh start what they doing with MLS games where they run a 3/4 screen add while they minimize de game to the lower left 1/4 of de screen.

but i glad for this. i was thinking by then the world cup would be a PPV event in the US like the euros.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 12:40:27 PM »
i hope espn doh start what they doing with MLS games where they run a 3/4 screen add while they minimize de game to the lower left 1/4 of de screen.

yeah i was going to say the same thing too lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:44:45 PM »
as long as d games dem running on channel 6 i good
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 03:03:58 PM »
Allyuh notice Univision in that deal too.  That mean the Spanish stations will have it kuff right through.  Even if you don't understand the Spanish commentary, it still better than them dry Americans.  Hopefully ESPN pull out all ofthe stops and hire a few Britich commentators to really give a good feel and account of the game.

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 03:33:26 PM »
What? allyuh doh like Phil Schoen, Ty Keough, JP Dellacamera? Rob Stone.

Allyuh know yuh like to see the bulge in the ol onion bag.

I tell myself last W/C that I have to learn spanish fuh real.
Must rhyme with an O

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »
The commentary sucks arse, but i aint complaining nah. At least they finally bringing every single game live, and not just the US and mexico games. Now ah have choices at least.
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 04:47:05 PM »
APart from Ty keown and ROb stone saying serve in the ball.........they does hit yuh a Rodie Foudie, Eric Wynalda and sometimes a Balboa commentry.
Also they doe bring the good games....Last WCi watch it on Telemundo and Univision right tru in Spanish.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>