June 15, 2024, 03:35:38 PM

Author Topic: Back In Times Interview Part III - Russell Latapy  (Read 970 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Back In Times Interview Part III - Russell Latapy
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
INTERVIEW III - Russell Latapy - Just after the game between USA & T&T, at Foxboro Stadium 2001

Palos - I am here with the King of T&T football Mr. Russell Latapy.  Russell, thank you for doing this interview on behalf of the Soca Warriors web site.  How do you feel at this moment given the result of the game?
Latas - First of all, let me say congratulations to the US.  They've done pretty well in the campaign so far and with 13 points, they look as if they will qualify for the World Cup.  We were disappointed with the 2 goals that we suffered today but overall, we got our game together in the 2nd half and we got more into the game.
Palos - Tell me about the game against Honduras.  A very disappointing result.  Did that affect the spirit of the team coming into today's game?
Latas - No.  I think honestly there were a lot of things happening in the camp before the Honduras game which maybe affected us.  A lot of times in football you can lose the game off of the park and I think maybe & I want to stress maybe that was the case against Honduras.  However, we sat down and worked things out and I think the spirit going into todays game was a lot better than the spirit going into the Honduras game and maybe it showed in some parts of our game tonight.  However, if you want to qualify, you have to pick up points, win games, score goals & defend well.  Today we played some decent football but our defending gave away 2 goals and we didn't score any.
Truetrini - Russell, how do you feel about coach Porterfield?
Latas - It's not really my place to comment on the coach.  I would say that I do have a good working relationship with him and he has done a tremendous job for the team since he has been here but the players also have to take responsibility for the results and our personal performances.  Saying that I don't really want to comment on the coach, that's not my place but as a team, the technical staff and players have to pull together and do our best for the upcoming matches.
Palos - This club vs country thing is a serious issue for all National Football Federations.  You have been one of the players who has consistently returned in the past to play for T&T, even in non competition friendly matches.  Now that T&T, while not mathematically eliminated, are unlikely to qualify with 1 point from 5 matches, will you be concentrating on your club career rather than International commitments at this time?
Latas - That is a very interesting question.  I've always wanted to represent T&T ever since I was young and I have done that to the best of my ability.  The situation is now where you have to set priorities.  Saying that, your country is always your first priority but you have to respect your clubs as well as they are also a very high priority.  It's difficult to make a decision at this time.  What I can say though is I have a good relationship with the technical staff & the TTFF and they understand the importance as well of our individual careers.  It's just one of those things we just have to sit down and work out.  If it doesn't affect my club schedule I'll definitely be present but it is a difficult situation.
Palos - We've run out of time.  Russell, thank you for the interview.  On behalf of the Soca Warriors web sites, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:51:20 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Back In Times Interview Part III - Russell Latapy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:01:56 PM »
Palos - This club vs country thing is a serious issue for all National Football Federations.  You have been one of the players who has consistently returned in the past to play for T&T, even in non competition friendly matches.  Now that T&T, while not mathematically eliminated, are unlikely to qualify with 1 point from 5 matches, will you be concentrating on your club career rather than International commitments at this time?
Latas - That is a very interesting question.  I've always wanted to represent T&T ever since I was young and I have done that to the best of my ability.  The situation is now where you have to set priorities.  Saying that, your country is always your first priority but you have to respect your clubs as well as they are also a very high priority.  It's difficult to make a decision at this time.  What I can say though is I have a good relationship with the technical staff & the TTFF and they understand the importance as well of our individual careers.  It's just one of those things we just have to sit down and work out.  If it doesn't affect my club schedule I'll definitely be present but it is a difficult situation.
Palos - We've run out of time.  Russell, thank you for the interview.  On behalf of the Soca Warriors web sites, thank you.

So Palos you seem to have seen where the point was approaching where Latas and probably Dwight may have called time on the 2001 hex. Why were you so outrage when they eventually did? :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 04:10:39 PM »

So Palos you seem to have seen where the point was approaching where Latas and probably Dwight may have called time on the 2001 hex. Why were you so outrage when they eventually did? :devil:

Because they both accepted selection for the next game against jamaica, went missing AGAIN mere days before the game, and when they were disciplined for it, retire in a huff.

Had they announced their retirement after the US game nobody would have begrudged them their decision.  Matter of fact, everyone would have wished them well.  But you know this was the reason all along...hence your devil right?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 04:46:31 PM »
that was latas and dwight last game.....porters got fired in de airport.....one thing i will never forget....that game vz usa was on tv here in tnt.....and frigging current went in de 1st half....man i get real vex.....listen to de rest on my car radio.....the match before vz honduras was latas last on home soil ( well before he came back dis year)...and he came on as a sub and get on....so i tought i saw the king as a 2nd half sub and then current gone and the king went also...pooof...just like magic....and then pooff...he was back and in the FRIGGIN WORLD CUP....thank god....bless tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:09:36 PM »
Iz a honour to have Latas back in de squad, ah keep saying  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>