April 19, 2024, 08:21:17 AM

Author Topic: Build that rail.  (Read 52421 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Build that rail.
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 03:58:30 AM »
PM dismisses transport project detractors.
By: Juhel Browne (Express).

Government's proposed $15 billion rapid rail project will go full speed ahead. Prime Minister Patrick Manning said yesterday the project will go ahead as scheduled, despite calls from several construction industry interest groups for Government to put a halt to the initiative, as they claim the procurement process being used is flawed and prone to corruption.
In response to a question on those criticisms yesterday, Manning defended the existing procurement process and said it will ensure the right contractor gets the job and savings to the taxpayers.
"The railway project must be built. On what basis must we not build the railway project? I would like somebody to say that. What's the objection to it?" he said.
Manning did so while speaking to reporters after he toured the site of the Waterfront Development Project in downtown Port of Spain, which has an estimated cost of $1.7 billion.
He said the Government is using a new procurement process for the railway project and will be making a comprehensive statement on the matter, but did not say when this would be done.
On Tuesday interest groups opposed to the project, including the local chapter of Transparency International, said the procurement system leaves room for corruption.
Yesterday, Manning said, "The rapid rail system is the largest project ever to be built in Trinidad and Tobago and for this purpose we have introduced a new process of procurement, different from anything that has ever been done here, but consistent with the systems that are being used in the developed countries of the world.
"... We are not afraid to try new systems and in the case of the rapid rail system, we are putting an approach in place that will give use the best chance of success at the lowest cost."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Build that rail.
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 04:43:03 AM »

So why was the first rail system cancelled?

Anyone could comment...just wondering if we wouldn't follow that same path.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 04:46:56 AM »
From what I heard it was a directive from Dr. Williams. I think it had something to do with maintenance costs.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Contract for billion-dollar rail system by September.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 04:57:27 AM »

The feasibility study (or lack of one) should be buried in this thread somewhere.

If I remember...I thought the study said rail mightn be the best bet.  Cud be wrong.

truetrini

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 06:43:00 AM »
The old rail system was ru by P.T.S.C. The Public Transportation Safety Corporation.  The old rail was real cool, the government of the day made the big  BIG mistake of ending it and replacing it with Buses....and the Priority Bus Route was constructed as the corridor to replace the old rail.

World over train/rail transport has been much more efficient and cleaner than bus transport, which acts merely as a way for short distance mass transit.

I am all for a rail syatem in T&T, but  am wary as always whne billions of dollars are being spent and the accounting/bidding procss may be flawed.

Oh Lord boy, when will T&T get it right?  The money will not keep flowing as it is.....steups.

truetrini

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 07:19:09 AM »
they cant even take care of a bus..yuh expect them to look after a rail-car..ah could done see the vandalizing taking place..it going to give some of them people who is watch the shit on tv to do the 'american' thing..steups.
what they have to do is get rid of all them traffic lights,build the interchange for the Gran Bazzaar area,make the Bus Route legal  for everybody,make South Quay a lot wider down by the lighthouse to get rid of that major bottleneck,widen Wrightson road all the way down to mucurapo..and if they want to make the Port bigger and expand..let them reclaim more flecking land.
i sure it have many people who have much better ideas than me anyway...we people is just have our head up our ass..and dont want to learn anything or see what things are implemented in other places.

steups, you only complaining because it eh UNC project...double steups...stop being political, the last rail system was good and Eric f**k dat up with ah set ah bus dat only polluting de place.

Reclaiming land is so f**king damaging t de environment eh..all de damn mangrove gone along with de fiddler crabs, cocnh and other life systems.
widening de roads is an option but dat eh solving de amount ah cars on de road..and de emmissions.

truetrini

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2006, 07:21:02 AM »
i not a civil eng, but i feel that heat go mash up dem lines and make it real hard to maintain.....lawd ah agree with feliz again  ::)

rail roads running thru deserts and icy places...de rails have gaps to accomodate expansion and contraction.

My issue is the accountability, somewthing Trinis eh know NUTTEN about.

Warmonga haul yuh ass....why yuh always against anything positive in T&T...go sit dong and learn to listen to soaca ad steelpan first, appreciate dat and den talk about what going on in T&T!!!

steups
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 07:24:13 AM by truetrini »

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 06:39:50 AM »
I think that in the last rail system, there was a kinda thrill seeking habit coming into fore. teenagers were starting to hop onto the trains and there were a numebr of deaths and injuries. and of course the authorities couldn't do anything to stop it. I don't know what is the type of fast rail sysem being proposed, becausse of course again that is a 'state secret' and I guess we won't know until it is done.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »
I based my opinion on what APETT and the traffic engineer have said.  I always thought rail was the best option and was very happy when they made the announcement.  Is only after these people spoke up did I take issue and it has more to do with the same thing you talking about...accountability and following proper procedure.

steups, you only complaining because it eh UNC project...double steups...stop being political, the last rail system was good and Eric f**k dat up with ah set ah bus dat only polluting de place.

Yuh claim TI does make baseless statements but dat rubbish above is yuh classic complaint about TI if you ask me...no insult intended TI.

Is a bloody merry go round?  Make rail...destroy rail...make rail again..den what? 
You talking about accountability but what...it doh count in the beginning of the project too?  What so hard in following proper procedure...is not like it have red tape to hold the thing up.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:57:10 AM by dcs »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 08:26:05 AM »
TT no one eh saying we eh need ah rail system. lemme speak for mehs elf i thinkw e do.
btu is de way de pastor going about it.
no accountbaility . dat trend hadda stop
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

truetrini

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 08:37:40 AM »
TT no one eh saying we eh need ah rail system. lemme speak for mehs elf i thinkw e do.

Ihave acknowledged that aleady in many posts.  I agree that we need accountability and that T&T needs to develop a system to deal with such matters.

Is de PNM vs UNC ting I dey with....why Panday eh put such ah system in place?

hahahahahahahaha

anyway see a pevious comentmade by me o dis matter

The old rail system was ru by P.T.S.C. The Public Transportation Safety Corporation.  The old rail was real cool, the government of the day made the big  BIG mistake of ending it and replacing it with Buses....and the Priority Bus Route was constructed as the corridor to replace the old rail.

World over train/rail transport has been much more efficient and cleaner than bus transport, which acts merely as a way for short distance mass transit.

I am all for a rail syatem in T&T, but  am wary as always whne billions of dollars are being spent and the accounting/bidding procss may be flawed.

Oh Lord boy, when will T&T get it right?  The money will not keep flowing as it is.....steups.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:39:36 AM by truetrini »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
dont get me wrong, this idea is a great idea, but the procurement process is flawed and is subject to criticism bc of the patronage system that exists in tt right now, the corruption is high level corrpution and the pm not addressing it which leaves him open to criticism bc he allowing bobol tuh rule... :flamethrower:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2006, 11:05:40 AM »
I think that in the last rail system, there was a kinda thrill seeking habit coming into fore. teenagers were starting to hop onto the trains and there were a numebr of deaths and injuries. and of course the authorities couldn't do anything to stop it. I don't know what is the type of fast rail sysem being proposed, becausse of course again that is a 'state secret' and I guess we won't know until it is done.

is this a problem with transparency or the reporting in the media? with the FOIA, it seems the tools are there for the public to know what the gov't plans are.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »

Ihave acknowledged that aleady in many posts.  I agree that we need accountability and that T&T needs to develop a system to deal with such matters.

hahahahahahahaha

i hear yuh man.
we do need ah good rail ssytem fast. but manning acting liek george bush now..
want to dismiss detractors. u cyah do dat..steups, especially when it relates to de field of the person.
u cant tell all dem engineers ...dey eh know what they talkign bout.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2006, 12:08:02 PM »

hahahahahahahaha

i hear yuh man.
we do need ah good rail ssytem fast. but manning acting liek george bush now..
want to dismiss detractors. u cyah do dat..steups, especially when it relates to de field of the person.
u cant tell all dem engineers ...dey eh know what they talkign bout.

But he getting away with it
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

truetrini

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2006, 06:03:35 PM »
he is getting away with i, becasue we have no viable opposition in T&T.

BIG TIEF PANDAY cyar stand up and say ah damn ting about accountability and honesty...he jes cyar do dat!  De whole UNC has been compromised, Manning can act any old how because his party remains the only choice ....think about it, Manning or Panday?

Bad choics, buh if yuh have ah brain and have tuh choose..is no contest!

truetrini

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »

is this a problem with transparency or the reporting in the media? with the FOIA, it seems the tools are there for the public to know what the gov't plans are.

the real problem is a perception problem.

when yuh have ah government in fact ah series ah governments who act aloof and feel dat dey is rulers rather dan managers den yuh have dis trouble.

steups, I eh see no evidence ah corruption...as yet..but those who favour de opposition will see what dey want tuh see.

Dat eh tuh say dat corruption eh dey eh.....

truetrini

People want railway now says Imbert
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2006, 11:07:57 PM »
People want railway now says Imbert
By Gail Alexander

Surveys by Government confirm that 90 per cent of the population is in favour of the reintroduction of the railway in T&T, Works Minister Colm Imbert said yesterday:

“ To be blunt—the people want the railway and they want it now! As a responsible Government, we cannot ignore the will of the people in favour of a small serving group,” Imbert added in a statement to Parliament yesterday.

He completely dismissed concerns raised this week by the Joint Consultative Council, the T&T Manufacturers Association and the T&T Transparency Institute.

The groups called for a halt to the rapid rail system pending further studies on its viability, the establishment of a transit authority and a two-stage tendering process.

But Imbert slapped this down yesterday in a lengthy address supporting the case for the rail system.

“This recommendation has been pulled out of a hat by this distinguished group of construction industry professionals, without even the benefit of a pre-feasibility study—the very thing they are now demanding the Government undertake before proceeding with the rail project.

“Therefore, this recommendation cannot be taken seriously. It fails the very test they have set for Government and it is irresposible and unprofessional of these groups to demand a virtual dismantling of existing transport systems to suit their own sectarian interests, without in-depth analysis, the minister said.”

He said the groups’ suggestion to buy more buses would be more costly than the rail system, since it would require providing more roads for this also.

Imbert noted various local, Canadian and Indian studies done in the last 40 years up to this year, which he said confirmed the need for a rail system:

“We are now at three times the international traffic benchmark beyond which a railway should be introduced,” Imbert said.

He asked why the UNC Government had not undertaken the project when the UNC also had several studies on the issue done, attesting to the need.

He said all the information was also available to local industry professionals for years:

“It appears that left to them they would theorise and hypothecate forever and tilt at windmills like Don Quixote while the solution stares us all in the face and the travelling public becomes more and more disgruntled,” he added.

“Government has no intention of allowing self-seeking provocateurs or misguided interest groups to derail our transportation infrastructure programme.”

He said:

“ Wer are going full speed ahead with the railway project and we are on target to select our preferred contractor within the next two months if not before.”

Imbert also reiterated details of the procurement process, which had also been disputed by the groups. He said:

“Therefore, we have engaged in total and complete transparency over and above the standards set out in the White Paper on procurement that they keep referring to,” Imbert added.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:03:29 AM by Tallman »

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: People want railway now says Imbert
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2006, 12:23:30 AM »
Who are these people??  When was dis survey taken??  How many people take de survey??  Was it all PNM dat makeup dis?? 
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »
I vote on dat survey 1 night in Villa Capri.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2006, 07:27:51 AM »

Surveys by Government confirm that 90 per cent of the population is in favour of the reintroduction of the railway in T&T, Works Minister Colm Imbert said yesterday:

“ To be blunt—the people want the railway and they want it now! As a responsible Government, we cannot ignore the will of the people in favour of a small serving group,” Imbert added in a statement to Parliament yesterday.

now why cant they use the same Mr.NiceGuy talk when it comes to the smelters?  ::)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2006, 07:31:56 AM »

now why cant they use the same Mr.NiceGuy talk when it comes to the smelters?  ::)

steups.....haul yuh you ent see ass :rotfl:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »

He cudda be a little more specific about these "various local, Canadian and Indian studies done in the last 40 years up to this year".

And what eactly is their self-seving interest?

“ 'This recommendation has been pulled out of a hat by this distinguished group of construction industry professionals, without even the benefit of a pre-feasibility study—the very thing they are now demanding the Government undertake before proceeding with the rail project.

'Therefore, this recommendation cannot be taken seriously. It fails the very test they have set for Government and it is irresposible and unprofessional of these groups to demand a virtual dismantling of existing transport systems to suit their own sectarian interests, without in-depth analysis, the minister said.' ”

This man is make a habit of talking non-sense.  Looking for ther reply cuz they will call him on it.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2006, 10:23:59 AM »

Trinidad Express
Saturday, December 16th 2006
Imbert sees 'sour grapes' among rail opponents

Juhel Browne

Diego Martin East MP Colm Imbert, centre, speaks to Caroni East MP Ganga Singh during yesterday's sitting of Parliament. At right is Diego Martin Central MP Ken Valley.

Some construction industry representatives who are now criticising the procurement process for the $15 billion rapid railway project belong to a consortium that failed to get the bid for the job, says Works and Transport Minister Colm Imbert.

Imbert said yesterday the consortium, called SNC Lavalin, contains a significant number of local construction firms, including contractors and engineers, as only two consortiums remain in the final bid round.

"Included in this list of subcontractors submitted by the SNC-Lavalin consortium, the consortium that didn't make the grade, are companies associated with some of the loudest voices among the special interest groups and professional bodies who are now demanding that the Government stop the project," Imbert said.

He made the assertion during an hour-long, 28-page presentation during yesterday's sitting of the House of Representatives at the Red House, Port of Spain.

Imbert spoke on the issue as several interest groups, including the Association of Professional Engineers of Trinidad and Tobago, have said the existing procurement process for the project is open to corruption and favours international bidders. He highlighted one of the local SNC subcontractors who are among those opposing the project.

"These loud voices include the current president of the Association of Professional Engineers of Trinidad and Tobago, who has been at the forefront of the call to stop the project whilst his company, BBFL Consultants, is prominently named as an engineering consultant in the SNC-Lavalin tender which has failed," Imbert said.

He then identified the other local subcontractors of the overall 22 SNC subcontractors, saying he was doing so in the interest of full public disclosure.

A copy of his presentation identified them as follows: Earth Investigations Systems, Yorke Structures Ltd, Professional Presentations, Softcom Ltd, Esprit Consultants, Geometrics Surveying, Eco-Engineering Consultants, Newel Lewis Broadbridge, Engineering consultants, Dominion Capital, Welsh-morris and Associates, Coosal's Construction, Seereeram Brothers and Junior Sammy Contractors.

He said some of those belonging to the SNC consortium that are now objecting to the rapid rail project procurement process have participated in it since March 2006, with no objections until now.

"In other words, if they can't get the project, nobody else must get it," he said.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2006, 01:02:06 PM »

BIG TIEF PANDAY cyar stand up and say ah damn ting about accountability and honesty...he jes cyar do dat! De whole UNC has been compromised, Manning can act any old how because his party remains the only choice ....think about it, Manning or Panday?

panday gettin phased out fass fass, manning fraid ramesh bad, so it will be interesting when ramesh take de reins eventually for the general in 2007, however manning under pressure bc bakr talking and telling all about manning's devious deeds, alot of the citizens losing trust in de pnm...

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »
the blasted reason we have the traffic problems we do today - and for those of you not here lemme tell yuh the traffic ignorant these days - is because there was no forward planning.  nobody bothered to think oh we building house we might have to build the infrastructure for it.  seems to me all these people doing is asking the gov't to stop and think a bit before implementing something that may or may not work.  and which 90% of the population demanding it?  i clearly slept through the referendum.     >:(
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

truetrini

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

BIG TIEF PANDAY cyar stand up and say ah damn ting about accountability and honesty...he jes cyar do dat! De whole UNC has been compromised, Manning can act any old how because his party remains the only choice ....think about it, Manning or Panday?

panday gettin phased out fass fass, manning fraid ramesh bad, so it will be interesting when ramesh take de reins eventually for the general in 2007, however manning under pressure bc bakr talking and telling all about manning's devious deeds, alot of the citizens losing trust in de pnm...

noone is afraind ah ramesh fella.

ramesh has no morals at all.  in some ways he worse dan panday, he backstab panday, is he fault panday get in trouble....he get fire, he know panday is ah big crook, yet he hugging him and sticking wit him?
steups.

no balls, power grabbing, power hungry fools.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2006, 12:53:17 AM »

dais no the definition for 99% of politicians?  How yuh cud vex with Ramesh for what he did...

truetrini

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2006, 07:15:52 AM »

dais no the definition for 99% of politicians?  How yuh cud vex with Ramesh for what he did...

take win with dat yes...allyuh real good, and allyuh want to know why de governments we get so f**ked up.

***sigh***

defend yuh party brother..defend it!

ps...are you aware of the ramesh/unc/panday saga?

I feel dat if yuh knew it yuh would not post such shit.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2006, 08:12:08 AM »
all yuh hear mi.. Once PNM running Trinidad de only ting geting build is Cemetery..

war..
"support your local Morg,  vote PNM"
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>