March 28, 2024, 04:16:35 AM

Author Topic: Why is it that T&T players except Yorke, fail to play with the bigger clubs?  (Read 14841 times)

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Big Club definition for this thread - A club that is well known around the globe for it's current exploits on and off the field, and one that continuously draws much international media attention.

Yorke played with ManU (one ah d biggest clubs in the world)

Latas played with Rangers and Porto (both of which are not major clubs currently based on the above definition and cannot rank with ManU and Madrid, etc in a present day scenario)

Other than that, everyone else seems to play for mediocre clubs

Wha Allyuh Think?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big Club definition for this thread - A club that is well known around the globe for it's current exploits on and off the field, and one that continuously draws much international media attention.

Latas played with Rangers and Porto (both of which are not major clubs currently based on the above definition and cannot rank with ManU and Madrid, etc in a present day scenario)

Wha Allyuh Think?

One word: Quality

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Wha Allyuh Think?

Porto could get een with ah umph.... They win Champions league last year man!!... they also win de old European Cup in 1988......

So ok beside Yorke and Latapy.... yes quality is de answer... have ah lil luck in it too....

but when yuh tell yuhself... 1.3 MM population.... we eh doing too bad yuh know
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Wha Allyuh Think?

Porto could get een with ah umph.... They win Champions league last year man!!... they also win de old European Cup in 1988......

So ok beside Yorke and Latapy.... yes quality is de answer... have ah lil luck in it too....

but when yuh tell yuhself... 1.3 MM population.... we eh doing too bad yuh know

I say so too.
Porto and Rangers are world-class teams that will easily rank with Man U and Madrid, and de way Madrid doing these days yuh might want to reconsider them. :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andrews rangers around long time decent club.  not close to MAn U but ok.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I eh sure bout that Rangers part dey Grande man...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We produce 2-3 top class players in the past how many years.  I had high hopes for Stern but it didn't work out the best way it could have.

We don't have the quality to make those big teams.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
I would have to add Marvin Andrews in there with Rangers since they were in the Champions League. Rangers was the first Scottish team to make it to the knockout phase.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Clubs still don't have much respect for West indian players ah guess.  Until we make a decent showing in a few WC.  real hard for TT players.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
how about other players from the region? At least we had 2 that played for top teams, what about the US, JA, Mexico, central american teams etc.. what's their record. Leh we eh diminish what we 2 fellas accomplish..

BTW..like allyuh calling out "name caller" Winnypeg fury!.. dat man go bring out real list

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2 words-  work permits

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
the question you should ask yourself, is:

Which of our players do you feel could/should have been playing with a "big club" ?

Forgetting Trini bias and being honest and objective.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I feel Faustin coulda get ah contract... and do well abroad.. he had de tools... we will never know

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I think a major point is also drive and work ethic... Yorke was driven always to play for a big club and win championships ... Latapy in his prime had the ability of a Zidane in my opinion, but failed to play for a big club. Many of our players seem content with staying in English 2nd division and in the Scottish League... many of them speak of getting to English 1st division or playing for a struggling premiership team,  instead of saying that they wanna play for Barcelona, Milan, Arsenal and the like.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't really think that we have the quality. As someone just asked. apart from Latas and Yorke, which other person on present team do you think has the quality to play with a real top team.
And i don't want some people to say Hardest. as has also been said pretty good for a small population base.
 And Rangers is no big team.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I think a major point is also drive and work ethic... Yorke was driven always to play for a big club and win championships ... Latapy in his prime had the ability of a Zidane in my opinion, but failed to play for a big club. Many of our players seem content with staying in English 2nd division and in the Scottish League... many of them speak of getting to English 1st division or playing for a struggling premiership team.

I think this assessment is a bit unfair in many ways:

1 - Latapy DID play for a big club.  What do you think Porto is?  A joke?  Porto has been big club for many many years and recently won both the EUFA Cup and the Champions League back to back.  That is not a big club?

2 - Drive is not something that I think is lacking in most of our foreign-based professionals.  What is lacking is quality relative to the other players in the leagues and opportunity due to legal restrictions such as work permit rules and foreign player limits.  Yes Yorke was (is) driven, but he was also a very high quality player.  As driven as Stern is at the club level (and you canot second guess his drive as a player, look how far he has come from) how much higher do you think he could go, or could have gone?  Not very much in my opinion.  Stern at his best will never be comparable to top-rated strikers at the "big clubs" and so he will remain a starter for a fringe Premiership team or a top Championship club.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
I think a major point is also drive and work ethic... Yorke was driven always to play for a big club and win championships ... Latapy in his prime had the ability of a Zidane in my opinion, but failed to play for a big club. Many of our players seem content with staying in English 2nd division and in the Scottish League... many of them speak of getting to English 1st division or playing for a struggling premiership team, instead of saying that they wanna play for Barcelona, Milan, Arsenal and the like.

Yuh hit the nail on the head.......as with everyone in life......you may have the talent but if u dont have discipline, drive, determination and follow through...it will not happen for you...!..
Warrior For Life !!

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Newcastle is not a huge club like manboo, but then again not many are. I would have considered Newcastle a relatively big club with decent success before Souness days. I think they are as good as Rangers.
If you agree then add Neil Shaka Hislop to that list

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Typical example....TI's boy....."hardest"
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Newcastle is not a huge club like manboo, but then again not many are. I would have considered Newcastle a relatively big club with decent success before Souness days. I think they are as good as Rangers.
If you agree then add Neil Shaka Hislop to that list

Newcastle has big ambitions, a big stadium and big transfer and wage budgets, but no, Newcastle is not a "big club".  Rangers is a big "Scottish " club, but also not a "big club" in my mind.  Not worldwide, as with Newcastle.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Might as well list the clubs you talking about.

Cuz Shaka played for Newcastle when they finish 2nd in the EPL.

Ah mean....ah man like Shearer is a big player but if Newcastle don't count he didn't play for no big side either.

G14 Clubs
ArsenalAC MilanBayer Leverkusen Paris St-Germain   .Barcelona AjaxPorto
LiverpoolInter Milan   .Bayern MunichMarseilleReal Madrid   .PSV Eindhoven
Manchester United  .  JuventusBorussia Dortmond   .LyonValencia

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
When Shaka was at Newcastle they were a top team with man like Asprilla. Dey boil down like bhagi now but back in de day. So add Shaka to the list.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
To answer Kicker being honest i don't think any of them could stand up in the big leagues.  the current senior squad.

possibly jones youth, size and strength he a good future serious upside potential. good investment

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Shaka has to be included...when he got signed to NC, it was a major player in the Premierships...Keegan could've gotten almost any Keeper in the Prem. but he went on Div. down for Shaka.

Nakhid palyed for a damn good club in Belgium...fogot the name. :D

And sometimes it's a matter of opportunitties: Nixon was going to be looked at by an Italian Prem Club, but the new Coach dropped him to the Second Team.

And of course yes...quality...Look at Carlos..how he catching he ass to get into the Prem.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Might as well list the clubs you talking about.

Cuz Shaka played for Newcastle when they finish 2nd in the EPL.

Ah mean....ah man like Shearer is a big player but if Newcastle don't count he didn't play for no big side either.

G14 Clubs

ArsenalAC MilanBayer Leverkusen Paris St-Germain   .Barcelona AjaxPorto
LiverpoolInter Milan   .Bayern MunichMarseilleReal Madrid   .PSV Eindhoven
Manchester United  .  JuventusBorussia Dortmond   .LyonValencia

I like that list dcs.  I would also add to it a few Clubs on the American continent such as:

River Plate

Boca Juniors

Corinthians

Palmeiras

America (Mexico)  

Also even Penarol (Uruguay), Saprissa (Costa Rica) and probably Olimpia (Honduras).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:26:15 PM by Jahyouth »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I might be wrong but I get the impression that players at "big clubs" either:

1. come through the "big club's" youth system.

2. get scooped up from a club that is well networked in the same market (league for eg.) as the "big club"...either via scouting, or direct competition........after impressive performances

3. perform extraordinarily well for their "not-as-well-networked" team (outside of the market)in such a capacity so as to attract the attention of a big club.....

I think Trini players therefore depend most heavily on option 3............and because of the lack of strength of the network outside of the "big club" market- (PFL for example)...... to get the attention needed, it would take the sort of performances that none of our players are capable of.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I might be wrong but I get the impression that players at "big clubs" either:

1. come through the "big club's" youth system.

2. get scooped up from a club that is well networked in the same market (league for eg.) as the "big club"...either via scouting, or direct competition........after impressive performances

3. perform extraordinarily well for their "not-as-well-networked" team (outside of the market)in such a capacity so as to attract the attention of a big club.....

I think Trini players therefore depend most heavily on option 3............and because of the lack of strength of the network outside of the "big club" market- (PFL for example)...... to get the attention needed, it would take the sort of performances that none of our players are capable of.

welcome back..... to the  cold weather  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
thanks bredda......... :beermug: :beermug:

Trini was sweet....but iz back to de grind

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
well porto was and is ah big club and rangers may not be as big as the others but rangers is ah big club in scotland. when yuh talking about bid clubs them clubs looking for the best men all over the world so if yuh doh have that drive and determination to compete at ah high level then yuh wouldnt make it at ah big club because if you cyar make it they're is millions of other men for them to choose from, we have some quality playres but we need that drive and determination like what yorke, latas and shaka had

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation

I like that list dcs.  I would also add to it a few Clubs on the American continent such as:

River Plate

Boca Juniors

Corinthians

Palmeiras

America (Mexico) 

Also even Penarol (Uruguay), Saprissa (Costa Rica) and probably Olimpia (Honduras).
For real.  Another topic is why our players don't break into these other markets.  Doesn't seem like there is any effort to tap into those opportunities.  Money obviously not as much but we also lack the network....agents, managers etc.  Look how Rednapp love a Trini player...carrying them from Club to Club.
Another issue is where our young players develop (16-22).  College, locally.  Remember Dwight left when he was real young and it took him a good while to take it to the next level(s).  Some of them go across kinda old....Bleeder not young.

1]; } ?>