March 28, 2024, 05:51:16 PM

Author Topic: Today's Warriors versus the Strike Squad  (Read 5808 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Today's Warriors versus the Strike Squad
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »
Imagine that the Srike Squad is present today in top form: player for player (line them up and match each player from the strike squad with a corresponding player on today's team) how do you think our present Warrior out fit matches up to that team?

Imagine the Strike Squad under the tutelage of Beenhakker and going to the World Cup today how would you rate that team's chances compared to our present team?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:01:28 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Warriors versus the Strike Squad
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »
Better - I think the strike squad go lix dem fellas now, barring yorke and latas (as they more experienced and skills refined now as compared to being raw back then)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »
no matter who won it without ah doubt it would be a firey contest.

Leonce Lewis have to much speed fuh dog boy. i dunno if he could really handle it.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 07:43:10 PM »
De present warriors might win but de strike squad woulda look better. Question though which Team would Yorke n Latas play on?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
ah going with the present team....i taking the 37 yr latas and the 34 yr yorke...strike squad will have them younger.....when last you see a strike squad tape ????....saw a few recently.....bear in mind that was " the back pass" era.....and then put on a warriors tape....different football.....and yes i know the strenghts and weaknesses of both teams....warriors better...my opinion....ephraim...ss cant " look" better than de warriors
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 07:27:44 AM »
ah going with the present team....i taking the 37 yr latas and the 34 yr yorke...strike squad will have them younger.....when last you see a strike squad tape ????....saw a few recently.....bear in mind that was " the back pass" era.....and then put on a warriors tape....different football.....and yes i know the strenghts and weaknesses of both teams....warriors better...my opinion....ephraim...ss cant " look" better than de warriors
BM I know yu like yu wariors but I feal sey strike squad go buss up de warriors right now..wont dat be great if de warriors were to cum up against de Strike squad"?? put Latas and Yorke to play for de Strike squad and Warriors aint got a chance trus mi!!!!!! who go run de midfield for de warriors?.. Dwarika and TI Boyfriend?...
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:09:21 AM »
Warriors would win.

Strike Squad quality of football wasn't that great....I saw some old footage shortly after Nov 89 after the hype had died down, and realized that even then we weren't ready.......relative to the time it was decent, but it couldn't match up to today's game.

The Strike Squad for T&T stands for more than just football........but when it comes to the game and the game only, they were pretty amateur.

The U.S. team that beat us in '89 was real stale.........Warriors would beat that U.S team.....and the Strike Squad.

If you match them up in relative terms........might be a different story.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:11:02 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Our Warriors will Mash way Strike Squad.. level Licks.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »
Can't compare eras, different times, different brand, different players its like trying to compare pele, maradona, zidane and ronaldhino all of them the best players in their day.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:29:06 AM »
in a One on One competition , maradona will level Pele.. Zidane will also mash way Pele..

ZZ and Maradona will draw.. And Ronaldhino will beat any one of them..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 08:30:40 AM »
in a One on One competition , maradona will level Pele.. Zidane will also mash way Pele..

yuh cyar say dat shit so bold and doh expect tuh get pounded.

yuh feel is basketball?  what one on one yuh talking about?

steups.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 08:37:14 AM »
Man i wish pele could ah play in d modern era, in his day skillfull players were almost crippled by opposition. Didn't have the kinda regulations on tackling like it did now. I never see d man play but meh pops used to go on relentlessly about Nascimento. The little video i have seen is still real impressive.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 08:40:42 AM »
Man i wish pele could ah play in d modern era, in his day skillfull players were almost crippled by opposition. Didn't have the kinda regulations on tackling like it did now. I never see d man play but meh pops used to go on relentlessly about Nascimento. The little video i have seen is still real impressive.

no doubt!  He was a real great talent, but had a great supporting cast too!

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 08:57:50 AM »
no matter who won it without ah doubt it would be a firey contest.

Leonce Lewis have to much speed fuh dog boy. i dunno if he could really handle it.

Yuh no that is so true about leonce lewis he had raw unlimited speed something the soca warriors lacking,I don't if you remember about four or five world cups ago england had a striker called gary liniker I remember they played a game against germany and back then germany had one of the best defense in world,well there were the foster brothers for germany them men used to be worried and under pressure every time liniker pick up that ball an take them for a run. 

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 09:55:37 AM »
I'm sorry but the strike squad would have hipped these gurl we have now. U thing the like of birchall could have stood up on the strike squad... hell no

Don't get me wrong i love my team but there strike squad was just  better all they needed was a good coach.
 :rotfl:

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 10:15:25 AM »

yuh cyar say dat shit so bold and doh expect tuh get pounded.

yuh feel is basketball? what one on one yuh talking about?

steups.

Muss expec de pong.. No worries.. look a :beermug: carib.

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Maybe a thread like this was already started at some point in time.  But if not, who do you guys think would win if the Soca Warriors played against the 1989 Strike Squad?

I've personally been watching T&T football for mad years now since the early 80s as a lil' yute.  I've personally witnessed National football team matches at all levels, and followed the Strike Squad long before they were called the Strike Squad.  I've watched the progression of T&T football throughout the also 90s and here in the 2000s.  I just haven't been a regular on this forum, though I check it out on a regular but don't always contribute.

Anyhows, the reason I mentioned de above is just to lay the case that I'm stating my opinion from my own personal experience of watching T&T football throughout the decades (wow...ah feel old! lol), so I can compare the two eras pretty fairly.

Having said all that, regardless of all the so-called foreign professionals on the current team, I believe that the 1989 Strike Squad could beat today's Soca Warriors on any given day. 

That Strike Squad just had a different mentality.  They were so good, that fellas today still wouldn't mind if Latas, Leonson, and Yorkie (3 former Strike Squad members) would lace-up their old boots and come rescue this current bunch in their old age.   :)

Just my $.02

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:25:22 PM by fidel2xl »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
If the Strike Squad was to play against the Soca Warriors, they might draw. Both teams have they individual strong points, but one thing they have in common; and that is no matter how good they play, they both are highly capable of Crapping down dey self.
Just from the goalkeeping standpoint....On one side, M Maurice would let a lob pass score and then complain the sun was in his eye and on the other side Jan M Williams would parry a shot into the feet of an oncoming opposing striker and not even make a move after he fall dong....Either way is goal in we arse...

But ah still supporting both....T&T till I die!!!
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
The Strike Squad, well coached, would've been the better team IMO. 
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 02:40:09 AM »
Warriors, Strike Squad, in fundraiser
T&T Newsday Reports.

THE NATION’S football stars of the present and past will come together this evening for a worthy cause- raising funds in aid of the national Under-17 Women’s team.

The TT Women are in training for the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) playoffs, which will start here in Trinidad in August.

In order to assist them in their campaign, a double-header will be played this evening under the lights at the Northern Recreation Ground in Diego Martin.

The highlight of the evening is expected to be the appearance of the national team that played at the World Cup in Germany 2006; the ‘Soca Warriors’ will take on the TT ‘Strike squad’ of 1989 that came within one point of qualifying for the 1990 World Cup in Italy. The Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho will captain the Soca Warriors in the match, which will kick off at 8 pm.

In the first game, the TT U-17s will play a Women’s Professional League (WPL) All-Star squad at 6 pm.

Admission for the event is free, but fans are being asked to make contributions at the venue towards the Under-17’s costs. All funds collected will go directly to the squad, to assist in their training and other needs.

TODAY: 6.00 pm: National U17 v WPL All Stars 8.00 pm: Strike Squad v 2006 Soca Warriors Venue: Northern Recreation Ground, Diego Martin.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »
Was there previous public notice of this event?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »

The Minister thought of this on Sunday after talking to the U17's at the Shanghai Cup. Since then, it has been on and off as the venue was booked and then we were told by the Corporation that it was double booked! This being promoted jointly with TTFA.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »

The Minister thought of this on Sunday after talking to the U17's at the Shanghai Cup. Since then, it has been on and off as the venue was booked and then we were told by the Corporation that it was double booked! This being promoted jointly with TTFA.

May all go well.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »

May all go well.

The WPL girls will be passing through the crowd to collect contributions. Hopefully there will be a big turnout like at the recent WPL game in Diego.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 11:54:42 AM »
Wish I was home. I would so be at this game.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »

If you was home, you'd probably be playing lol

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

If you was home, you'd probably be playing lol

Nah! It have plenty ballers in Diego who would be there before me.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 02:17:38 AM »
TT women fund-raiser a success.
T&T Newsday Reports.

LAST FRIDAY’S fund-raising double-header in aid of the National Under-17 Women’s football squad was a success, according to Anthony Harford of All Sports Promotions, who organised the event.

The Caribbean Football Union (CFU) playoffs begin for the TT U-17s next month, and two exhibition matches were played at the Northern Recreation Ground in Diego Martin in a bid to raise funds to offset some of the costs of the team’s preparation.

Fans were allowed free entry to the matches and invited to make cash contributions, the sum of which was put directly to the squad’s finances. Harford reported yesterday that $2,520 was collected, which was “way beyond what we expected given the ground is not enclosed.”

In their exhibition game, the TT U-17s went under 0-1 to a Women’s Premier League (WPL) All-Star team.

The highlight of the evening turned out to be the game between the 1989 TT “Strike Squad” and the 2006 “Soca Warriors, which featured Sports Minister Brent Sancho, Gary Glasgow, Anthony Wolfe, Atiba Mc Knight, Clayton Morris, Brian Williams and many other former TT stars. The Strike Squad drew the match 2-2. The TT Under-17 Women have expressed their thanks to the spectators who came and gave to the cause.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>