March 28, 2024, 01:13:34 PM

Author Topic: Trinidad's prime minister to intervene in World Cup ticket sales  (Read 14532 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Trinidad's PM to intervene in World Cup ticket sales.
By: Loren Brown (AP).
[/size]

Trinidad (AP) -- Trinidad's prime minister said Thursday his government will intervene in the sale of World Cup tickets amid allegations of cronyism and price gouging against a leading soccer official.
Prime Minister Patrick Manning's comments came in response to allegations published by the Trinidad and Tobago Express charging that the sole agency selling World Cup tickets in the country was owned by the family of FIFA vice president Jack Warner, a senior adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.
That connection prompted allegations of unfair practices among some fans eager to watch their national team makes its first World Cup appearance at this year's tournament in Germany.
"The government has to respond to all of the calls we've been having from the national community, people who have supported football from the inception to now who wish to go to Germany and are prepared to make their own arrangements," Manning said.
The Warner family's agency, Simpaul Travel Service Ltd., offers a $4,785 travel package that includes tickets for three games, hotel accommodation for 12 nights and team souvenirs, according to Simpaul's Web site. Tickets cannot be purchased separately.
Fans who don't want the package deal may purchase tickets directly from FIFA. The most expensive tickets for all three of Trinidad's first-round games would total $363, according to the FIFA Web site. But the tickets are sold only to winners of a FIFA ticket lottery.
Manning said he was waiting for a report on the matter from Roger Boynes, Trinidad's minister of sports and youth affairs.
Warner acknowledged in a Tuesday news conference that he owned Simpaul, but said the criticism was personal and political.
"It is not a crime to be successful, even for people like me," Warner said.
Warner also denied Simpaul has exclusive rights to the country's allotment of World Cup tickets.
"No World Cup tickets of any category or price has been assigned to Simpauls or to any other organization and/or person in Trinidad and Tobago," he said.
Some fans were angry about the ticket situation.
"This reeks of cronyism. There is clearly a conflict of interest here," said Trevor Sebastian of Chagunas, 35, who owns a clothing store. "Why should someone with such a high position in FIFA be the only one selling tickets?"

Others said the price was too high.

"I will just stay home and watch the game on TV," said Elaine Pickering of Arina, a 25-year-old office clerk. Trinidad's Soca Warriors play Sweden, England and Paraguay in the first round of the World Cup, which starts June 9.
Trinidad, home to just one million people, will be the least populated country taking part in the 32-nation tournament. It is the fourth Caribbean team to reach the World Cup, following Cuba in 1938, Haiti in 1974 and Jamaica in 1998.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:00:55 PM by Flex »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad's prime minister to intervene in World Cup ticket sales
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »
Well, well, well.

It has gotten to the Associated press.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:57:47 PM »
boy if manning organise me with tickets, I vote for him for the rest of my life!!!!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:58:37 PM »
I am sure Jack didn't think this would have been the response.  Gov't has to tread carefully here though.  FIFA looks very carefully at Gov't/Football Assoc dealings.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
This publicity and fall out will fact up everything
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »
boy if manning organise me with tickets, I vote for him for the rest of my life!!!!

yea but as much as i want to i really can't believe him.

how many tings dat man promise dat never came to be and most likely will never come to be.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »
It welcome that somebody looking into it but it looks more like an election ploy. They looking for fuel for d platform next year.

This go lead into another commission of inquiry whose findings won't be taken on.

FIFA is d ones that go hadda make dis call and dem ent look like they want to rock dis boat.

Cyah trust Manning with this, ah mean look who he choose as Sports Minister.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »
It welcome that somebody looking into it but it looks more like an election ploy. They looking for fuel for d platform next year.

This go lead into another commission of inquiry whose findings won't be taken on.

FIFA is d ones that go hadda make dis call and dem ent look like they want to rock dis boat.

Cyah trust Manning with this, ah mean look who he choose as Sports Minister.

yep just like de diego martin highway da dey go lean on as der great acheivement... stewps

yuh go tell dem buh wa de ass it was supposed to be finished las year January and den dey go say we had legal trouble den yuh go say what about September and December!? they go say we are tryin to do a thorough job.

DEN yuh go say buh wha de f**k  >:(

ent dis highway was supposed to be started and finished 25 years ago!?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »
All dis time I tort it was Trinidad & Tobago's Prime Minister.... :-[
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Yuh know Palos, I ent think Tobago people mind dat atall.  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Yuh right padnah.....any sane thinkin individual would distance deyself as much as possible from dah man.... ;D

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »
WOW. Look at what we talking about nah, when we should be basking in glory.. Only in Trinidad yes. 32 flickin countries make world cup, and of course WE is the only one with all this BACCHANAL for tickets i.e. politics etc....Even them traditionally corrupt African Nations aint have this kinda nonsense, when it involve their football. No wonder things getting worse in Trinidad by the day. Every man "jack" for themselves....
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »
and some buller was telling me not to waste my time sending the letters to the news agencies in the USA!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Pen is mighter that the sword Pointless!  Remember dat!

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 06:13:49 PM »
True trini, I is a man that does follow all your posts dred and ah know i probably gonna get bash too but......why yuh does have to attack men so personally sometimes star. yuh does have some nice nice points, but then does spoil it with small time retoric and seemingly "your mama so fat" language. ah does appreciate yuh point makin skills and knowledge, but yuh does spoil it most ah the time with the personal attacks dred. But then again, u is a big man...So go ahead and bash me too......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »
True trini, I is a man that does follow all your posts dred and ah know i probably gonna get bash too but......why yuh does have to attack men so personally sometimes star. yuh does have some nice nice points, but then does spoil it with small time retoric and seemingly "your mama so fat" language. ah does appreciate yuh point makin skills and knowledge, but yuh does spoil it most ah the time with the personal attacks dred. But then again, u is a big man...So go ahead and bash me too......

Doh study it.  True is a good fella.  Jes sometimes de Prozac does run out right after he deal up wit de Walmart ting and he goin thru dah whole "episode".   ;D

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 06:18:47 PM »

I does only bash man who continue to make idiotic, blind posts.  ah man call me stupid fuh mailing and emailing letters to the Press in T&T and de USA saying nutten go come of it.

He deserve ah bashing.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
Well...nutten eh happen when the Warner family dominated the contracts for the U-17  WC in TT.

So why should Warner have expected anything this time around? The usual scenario, is for ppl to buss a cuss..and then eventually it dies down. And of course in the middle of all hullaballoo...there's a Press Report about Jack bussing money somewhere.

What is really insulting is the press report where Daryan Warner says that Simpaul's is a privately owned Co. and doesn't owe an explanation to anyone about how they've monopolised the ticket sales.

Is this man serious. His father runs TT football..His father's co. gets the sole rites to the WC tickets in TT, with no bidding process what so ever, and he have the gall to make such a statement. I shame to think he went to Fatima. ???

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »

I does only bash man who continue to make idiotic, blind posts.  ah man call me stupid fuh mailing and emailing letters to the Press in T&T and de USA saying nutten go come of it.

He deserve ah bashing.

cool cool. he deserve tha one. it seems sometimes tho, that yuh does be peltin blade in a dark room. but yuh right, he deserve tha one den...bless....

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 06:23:03 PM »
yes recently ah pelting plenty blade, but den again dat is me.  I does say sorry about every 30th time doh. ;D

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »
yes recently ah pelting plenty blade, but den again dat is me.  I does say sorry about every 30th time doh. ;D
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »
The " LIBURD"  ruling....like the "bosman" ruling
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »
This will get us band from FIFA TRUST ME the government should not get involved the only ones will lose is us the fans because they could replace us easily
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
Nah ah doh think we go geh ban for dat..de gov't not interferring with the running of TTFF, they just looking into the distribution of WC tickets..nuttin to be scared about..we not even sure dey could do anything about it anyways..talk is talk.
Big Up TnT Football.
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 07:41:37 PM »
if manning doin dis for the sake of the people is good, but if it is an election tool to win again, he could haul he a%$

Of course is election tool .

Dred how yuh see we only now gettin dese helicopters an ting.      Wuh?

Cuz goverment are now responding becuase T&T crime is only now spiralling out of control.

stewpsssssssssssssss. what a profound realization Mr. Manning

The ONLY thing funny about this whole crock of shit is the reporter who spread the rumour that we were going to buy an APACHE HELICOPTER.

60 million dollars of pure killing machine............................... with a trini behind the controls

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 07:45:36 PM »
if manning doin dis for the sake of the people is good, but if it is an election tool to win again, he could haul he a%$

he doh need tuh do nutten to win.  de unc is ah real shit party and see tuh it dat PNM win again.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »
If there are unethical practices and corruption taking place within the TTFF and FIFA not looking into it, then our Gov't should.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 09:02:22 PM »
It have unethical practices running in both government and opposition and people looking at it as well (so they say). It ent making me feel any better.

Offline ballfever

• Jr. Warrior
  • Dream d'dream, live d'game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »
All dis time I tort it was Trinidad & Tobago's Prime Minister.... :-[
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Yuh right padnah.....any sane thinkin individual would distance deyself as much as possible from dah man.... ;D
ah talkin fuh mihself, because ah know topic like dis does bring out real chip on 'gonian shoulder....buh last time ah check, we was still Trinidad & Tobago.....good, bad or indifferent, patrick :clown: bas :puking: an bakr :devil: included!
ah love mih country bad!  :salute: :salute: :salute:
if yuh check mih heart in mih chest, mix up wit d'red blood, it have a black & white stripe somewhere in dey!.....long b4 foot ball,durin' world cup and after..T&T FOREVER! WE COUNTRY, WE SPIRIT,WE VIBES! WARRIOR NATION!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 10:21:37 PM »
If the TTFF has to award a contract in T&T then it probably falls under whatever commerce laws we have that deal with the whole contract bidding process.

I don't think FIFA will have a say.  It doesn't sound right for FIFA to be able to dictate how business is done in T&T.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 11:15:11 PM »

That makes sense. I'll vote for an inept and clueless idiot if he organizes me with tickets.

:rotfl:    :rotfl:    :rotfl:    :rotfl:    :rotfl:

1]; } ?>