April 17, 2024, 07:50:31 PM

Author Topic: Shaka gets the job done  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka gets the job done
« on: January 09, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »
Shaka gets the job done
By Danny Francis (West Ham United FC)

Shaka Hislop when he stepped in for the injured Roy Carroll at Carrow Road on Saturday.

The 36-year-old goalkeeper was called into action by Alan Pardew after the Northern Ireland international failed to recover from a thigh strain and responded with a typically assured performance in his first appearance since the 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur almost two months ago.

"I knew the day after the Chelsea game that Roy probably wasn't going to make it, so I had the time to prepare myself," said Shaka. "There was obviously a chance that he might recover, but on Friday he said it wasn't ready, so I got the nod.

"In my situation, you've always got to be ready for the call if it comes and, although I haven't had any match action lately, I've kept myself sharp and worked hard in training.

"I settled back in easier than I expected to be honest. Saying that, I wasn't really troubled too much, and the lads in front of me stayed very solid, so I quite enjoyed the game."

Ironically, Shaka's last FA Cup appearance for the club was also against Spurs, in the quarter-final defeat back in March 2001, and while there may have been slightly less prestige attached to our third round clash at Norwich, he was full of praise for a job well done against Nigel Worthington's team.

"Norwich have been on a good run recently and we were expecting a tough tie, but I thought we did the job well and we're just pleased to be through to the next round now.

"We had some fantastic chances and Marlon came close with a superb effort that hit the post — we really could have been four up by the time they got their penalty.

"It was a little bit closer than it should have been at the end, but I thought we dealt with everything comfortably and it was a thoroughly deserved victory."

Shaka also had a word of sympathy for his Norwich City counterpart Robert Green, who was stretchered off with a neck injury following an accidental collision with Marlon Harewood in the closing moments.

Thankfully, Green was given the all-clear after an X-ray on Saturday evening, and that was a relief to his fellow member of the goalkeepers' union.

"It wasn't nice to see that at the end," said Shaka. "We know how dangerous this position can be at times — you are often throwing yourself into painful situations — and I wish Robert a speedy recovery."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka gets the job done
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:56:15 AM »
i hope that everyone sees that shaka still a first calss keeper!!

shaka for #1 in germany
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
Not just a class keeper but a Class Act
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:24:46 AM »
Not just a class keeper but a Class Act

Top Man.

Englands third choice keeper stretchered off in that game.

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »
shaka is always my 1# keeper since back in de days when we play for havard....

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:35:44 PM »
i hope that everyone sees that shaka still a first calss keeper!!

shaka for #1 in germany

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
westham is my favourite premiership team because of hislop!  :notworthy:
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

1]; } ?>