0 (0%)
Tottenham
0 (0%)
Shakhtar Donetsk
0 (0%)
Valencia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: UEFA Champions League Thread  (Read 297935 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Champions League 2017/18
« Reply #2490 on: May 26, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
The drama in this final and that Bale goal are perfect warm ups for Russia.

"Marcelo came onto his right foot and lofted a generic cross into the box. It came at chest height to Bale, who was facing away from goal on the edge of the box. He launched into a crazily athletic overhead kick that flew over Karius and into the net. What the hell was that! Even Zidane, who scored the greatest ever Champions League final goal in 2002, reacted with disbelief."

That might even have been Bale’s first touch of the game. It’s certainly the defining touch of his career. It was an outrageous goal."

--- Match commentary from The Guardian
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:15:22 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 26, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
karius might get pitch forked
I pity the fool....

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 27, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
A man was arguing with me saying the ref should've disallowed Benzema's goal saying that he disrupted Karius's throw. I did not hear the commentary as I watched the game in a bar while on vacation so I didn't hear what the so called experts said about it. I thought it was legit bc the keeper released it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:37:58 PM by soccerman »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 27, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
A man was arguing with me saying the ref should've disallowed Benzema's goal saying that he disrupted Karius's throw. I did not hear the commentary as I watched the game in a bar while on vacation so I didn't hear what the so called experts said about it. I thought it was legit bc the keeper released it.

Nah, both commentators (Peter Drury and David Pleat, I think) said that the goal was legit, and it was a lack of concentration by Karius.  :beermug:

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 27, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »

Nah, both commentators (Peter Drury and David Pleat, I think) said that the goal was legit, and it was a lack of concentration by Karius.  :beermug:
:beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: UEFA Champions League Thread
« Reply #2495 on: August 29, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
2018/2019 Group-stage draw pots

Pot 1: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Lokomotiv Moscow

Pot 2: Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto, Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Benfica, Napoli, Tottenham Hotspur, Roma

Pot 3: Liverpool, Schalke, Lyon, Monaco, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, PSV Eindhoven, Valencia

Pot 4: Viktoria Plzen, Club Brugge, Galatasaray, Young Boys, Inter Milan, Hoffenheim, Red Star Belgrade, AEK Athens

The group-stage draw will take place on Thursday, Aug. 30, starting at 5 p.m. BST, midday ET.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2496 on: September 03, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
He must have told the ref his mudda's sc**thorpe.

Deeks,

check your inbox.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2497 on: December 18, 2018, 04:47:33 AM »
Full 2018/19 draw:

Schalke vs. Manchester City

Atletico Madrid vs. Juventus

Manchester United vs. Paris Saint-Germain

Tottenham vs. Borussia Dortmund

Lyon vs. Barcelona

Roma vs. Porto

Ajax vs. Real Madrid

Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2498 on: March 15, 2019, 05:24:00 AM »

Champions League Teams:

Manchester United
FC Porto
Tottenham Hotspur
AFC Ajax
FC Barcelona
Liverpool FC
Manchester City
Juventus FC

Champions League Draw:

Ajax vs. Juventus
Barcelona vs. Man United
Liverpool vs. Porto
Tottenham vs. Man City

The quarter final first legs are scheduled for April 9/10; the second legs set for April 16/17. The semifinals will be played April 30/May 1 and May 7/8.

The final will take place in Spain at Atletico Madrid's Estadio Metropolitano on Saturday, June 1.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:26:27 AM by Flex »

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: April 17, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
That City vs Tottenham game was action literally from start to finish.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: October 02, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »
Messi, Messi, Messi. Barsa struggling vs Inter. Messi does some magic.  2-1 Barsa.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 12, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »
PSG 2 v Atalanta 1. Pulled the rabbits out of the hat to survive. Mbappe came on in the 60th min. to push Neymar and the rest of PSG to victory. Good game.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 14, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
What in the "blazes" happened in Lisbon tonight?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 14, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »
Slaughtered. BM 8 vs Barsa 2. And the still have the 2nd leg to play.  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 15, 2020, 12:59:08 AM »
I wonder how will Lionel remember this when he look back on his career.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: August 20, 2020, 08:23:22 AM »
Should be an entertaining final with lots of goals

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2506 on: October 01, 2020, 02:38:55 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: October 01, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:06:11 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: October 27, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »
Textbook case of identifying an opponent's Achilles heel by Real Madrid and a partial erosion of Marcus Thuram's goals. Yet, despite the textbook, Real Madrid's quality on much of their crossing was poor. I would have been happy to see Moenchengladbach finish with all the points.

I waited 20 years to see two "Thuram goals" in a match and this Thuram continues to deliver them with calm and quality.

Really a case of a player building his career wisely.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: October 28, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »
Textbook case of identifying an opponent's Achilles heel by Real Madrid and a partial erosion of Marcus Thuram's goals. Yet, despite the textbook, Real Madrid's quality on much of their crossing was poor. I would have been happy to see Moenchengladbach finish with all the points.

I waited 20 years to see two "Thuram goals" in a match and this Thuram continues to deliver them with calm and quality.

Really a case of a player building his career wisely.
For real both goals were real calm. The second goal was so nonchalant I had to take a second look to verify if he scored, no celebration nothing.
Moenchengladbach should've won but Madrid turned up the heat and pushed Ramos up and were lucky to salvage a point. I would've been pressure had they lost this one as well.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2510 on: December 20, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
UEFA Champions League round of 16 draw - 2021

Dates

RasenBallsport Leipzig (GER) vs Liverpool FC (ENG):
16 February & 10 March

FC Barcelona (ESP) vs Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA):
16 February & 10 March

FC Porto (POR) vs Juventus FC (ITA):
17 February & 9 March

Sevilla FC (ESP) vs Borussia Dortmund (GER):
17 February & 9 March

SS Lazio (ITA) vs FC Bayern Munich (GER):
23 February & 17 March

Atlético Madrid (ESP) vs Chelsea FC (ENG):
23 February & 17 March

Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) vs Manchester City FC (ENG):
24 February & 16 March

Atalanta BC (ITA) vs Real Madrid FC (ESP):
24 February & 16 March

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:36:37 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2511 on: March 19, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Bayern draw PSG in Champions League quarters as Real face Liverpool

Holders Bayern Munich will face last year's beaten finalists Paris Saint-Germain in the quarter-finals of this season's Champions League, while Friday's draw for the last eight also threw up a clash between Liverpool and Real Madrid.

The draw also pitted Premier League leaders Manchester City against Borussia Dortmund, with Chelsea set to play Porto in the other tie.

Bayern defeated PSG 1-0 behind closed doors in Lisbon last August to win their sixth European Cup and remain the team to beat in Europe, having won 18 and drawn one of their 19 games in the Champions League since the beginning of last season.

The first leg is set to be played in Germany on April 6 or 7, with the return in Paris a week later.

Meanwhile, the meeting of Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool and Real is another re-run of a recent final, with the Spaniards beating the Reds 3-1 in Kiev in 2018 to win the last of their record 13 titles to date.

Liverpool bounced back from that to lift the trophy for the sixth time in Madrid in 2019.

Klopp's side are due to be away from home in the first leg, but it remains to be seen where that match will be played.

Atletico Madrid's home leg against Chelsea in the last 16 ended up being moved to the Romanian capital Bucharest due to restrictions imposed on travel to Spain by British authorities.

The winner between Liverpool and Real will go onto a semi-final against either Chelsea or Porto, throwing up the possibility of an all-English last-four tie.

Liverpool beat Chelsea in the semi-finals in 2005 and again in 2007.

Unbeaten in 13 games since the appointment of Thomas Tuchel as coach in late January, Chelsea will be expected to get the better of Portuguese champions Porto, who ousted Juventus in the last 16.

However, that tie could also be relocated given travel restrictions between the United Kingdom and Portgual which prompted both legs of last month's Europa League clash between Arsenal and Benfica to be played at neutral venues, in Italy and Greece.

Meanwhile City will be strong favourites against Dortmund, with the winner of that tie going through to a semi-final showdown with either Bayern or PSG.

Travel restrictions between the UK and Germany could also have an impact on City's tie against Erling Braut Haaland's Dortmund.

Both legs of City's last-16 tie against Borussia Moenchengladbach were played in Budapest, as were both legs of Liverpool's tie against RB Leipzig in the last round.

This season's semi-finals are due to be played in late April and early May, with the final scheduled for May 29 in Istanbul.

QUARTERFINALS

Manchester City vs. Borussia Dortmund
FC Porto vs. Chelsea
Bayern Munich vs. Paris Saint-Germain
Real Madrid vs. Liverpool

SEMIFINALS

Bayern Munich or Paris Saint-Germain vs. Manchester City or Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid or Liverpool vs. FC Porto or Chelsea

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: April 27, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
Timo Werner is shaping up to see out the 2nd leg/part thereof as a spectator. A neutral viewer's first half.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: April 27, 2021, 02:25:59 PM »
Timo Werner is shaping up to see out the 2nd leg/part thereof as a spectator. A neutral viewer's first half.

Done. Memo by Stevie Wonder.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: April 27, 2021, 04:09:38 PM »
Chelsea should have won today. 1-1. Two excellent goals by Pulisic and Benzema!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 28, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »

his goal contribution stats is what keeping him in d team, apparently his being the highest in d team is why he still starting ahead of Tammy and Giroud...but one ah dem miss will cost big soon.....Tammy doh fit Tuchel striker profile, but I would put my head on a block and say Tammy and Giroud was scoring some ah dem chance.....Tammy remains top scorer over all competitions
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: April 28, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »

his goal contribution stats is what keeping him in d team, apparently his being the highest in d team is why he still starting ahead of Tammy and Giroud...but one ah dem miss will cost big soon.....Tammy doh fit Tuchel striker profile, but I would put my head on a block and say Tammy and Giroud was scoring some ah dem chance.....Tammy remains top scorer over all competitions

Who's your bet to start at home?

Some view TA as not having Tuchel's trust rather than not fitting. Either way, he irked Thiago Silva's wife sufficiently for her to take to social media to express her dissatisfaction.  :rotfl:

EDIT: He = Werner.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:55:02 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: April 28, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »

Who's your bet to start at home?

Some view TA as not having Tuchel's trust rather than not fitting. Either way, he irked Thiago Silva's wife sufficiently for her to take to social media to express her dissatisfaction.  :rotfl:

My guess is he will try to use Giroud or Haverts and adjust d game plan accordingly, yeah Tammy ent do enough to cement he place, but I doh tink he deserve dat freeze out he getting now, He still top scorer and dat should count for something.....but den Zouma have real goal threat on set pieces, but does also not get much playing time because he is considered to be d least technical of Chelsea CBs
I pity the fool....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: April 29, 2021, 06:02:04 AM »
PSG were playing stylish football in the first half, Di Maria and Neymar were too tricky for Man City. 2nd half was such a disappointment, PSG had 9 shots in the first half and 2 in the 2nd half. Man City midfield and high pressing completely dominated in the 2nd. The city goals were lucky but they also missed a sitter in the first half against the run of play. The chance where Florenzi ended up taking out Neymar in the box was a big miss as well.
Idrissa Gueye got one of the stupidest red cards I ever see, he stamp a man leg going away from goal. The threat was diminishing, he lose his mind and put his studs in Gundogan calf.
Mbappe was anonymous.
2nd leg should be good.

Offline Soccer4MeAndU

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 29, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »
I believe PSG may have a good change to make it to the CL Finals despite going  2-1 down.

:challenge:

https://soccer4meandu.blogspot.com/2021/04/tough-hill-for-psg.html

1]; } ?>