March 28, 2024, 08:09:42 AM

Author Topic: interviewing sportmen and women in T&T  (Read 8021 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: interviewing sportmen and women in T&T
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »
For every situation, there is an exception.  Ato for example just stated his contempt for our soca singers saying "all they do is jump and wave", yet there are many who don't fit that mould.

Palos, can you give an example of some who don't fit the mold this year? I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, I just really want to know what to listen out for this year.

I would like to see Darrel Brown, Marc Burns, Asafa Powell and many other track stars from this region improve immensely in that area, because right now, no-one knows what they have to say - or cares....people don't endear themselves to athletes based solely on athletic accomplishments - ask Magic Johnson, who, if he can improve the way he sounds, anyone can!

Ato, this is true, but there are exceptions to this too. You ever heard Tim Hardaway on ESPN? Admittedly they took him off after a few months, but geezan, he was bad!! I saw him once where Stuart Scott had to look at him in disbelief a few times.

Ask Anil about the interview on Spalk with Burns, Brown, Stephen De Las, Bovell and Dwayne Bravo a couple weeks ago.....

I saw that one, and I thought George and Dwayne handled themselves admirably. The others, well...

This is a great thread by the way...just shows how good ideas can be introduced and developed on this board..Big up Flex and Tallman!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »
All the talk about "speaking properly" is valid.

Yet

How does one account for the impact Jamaican patois has had, especially in the entertainment industry? (of which sport is a segment).

One question we need to ask here is How do Jamaicans feel about their ahtletes' interviews? Do they have the same sentiments as we Trinis? or is it not a big deal for them?

In terms of the music, well, dancehall/reggae is quite infectious it has great beats etc and even hip hop has some of it's roots in reggae(argueably). I don't know many Americans who fully understand everything that's actually being said in the songs though, and I suspect they probably don't really care either.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2006, 08:58:37 PM »
My mother is from JAMAICA and very connected to there...she cringes at past and future Jamaican athletes.  Ottey, Powell, Ray Stewart and many other past and present Jamaican athletes are awful on camera and in interviews...

The last articulate Jamaican athlete was probably Gillian Russell - Commonwealth Champ 1998 100 Hurdles.

Last male?  DONALD QUARRIE!! He won the 200m in 1976!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006, 09:57:48 PM »
My mother is from JAMAICA and very connected to there...she cringes at past and future Jamaican athletes.  Ottey, Powell, Ray Stewart and many other past and present Jamaican athletes are awful on camera and in interviews...

The last articulate Jamaican athlete was probably Gillian Russell - Commonwealth Champ 1998 100 Hurdles.

Last male?  DONALD QUARRIE!! He won the 200m in 1976!

I not sure what your definition of articulate might be, but Briggite (spelling) Foster always sounds quite clear and articulate to me when interviewed.  den again..she kinda cute so ah mightn't be payin too much attention in dat department.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006, 03:37:44 AM »
U right - Mrs. Foster-Hylton is quite articulate - I stand corrected. A long time friend of mine - so I am doubly ashamed.  Sorry, she got married last year to a rich ass Jamaican, so yuh chance gone. :P
BORN TO DO IT

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006, 06:06:15 AM »
We talk about this before and here we go again.
Ah man come from ah situation where he niehgbours, family an frens talking trini,
he go tuh school an eh no brain, pass fuh ah junior sec an realise he is ah good athlete an train hard an ting.
One day he get ah break an make it tuh de world stage.
Man put mike in he face an ask him. " So wha yuh put dong yuh success to an wha yuh tink yuh go do in de future ?
Answer : ' Ah did train hard in mih yute an ah want to be de best runner in de world , betta dan Ato "

He niegbours, family and frens glad fuh him an dey understand everything he say an not cringing.
Yuh think any of dem studying whether he speak, sorry spoke acceptable english or not?
De youth man priority was to win at his trade.
With exposure people learn to adapt to new things and in time that same youth will probably speak better.

Personally I used to be bothered by the badspeak in the past but now with the exposure I have had, once ah man has his self pride has a high level of self esteem and is comfortable being himself. Who the hell are we to question how he wants to speak ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »
Fishs, you have a point dey, but as Ato pointed out earlier, to the some it may not matter how the man speaks in the mike, but the audience he will address will be the broke audience...the audience who cyah help that man really aspire to the top of his game....NOT the audience who will enable that man to leave behind a legend and possibly clear the way for others like himself to follow.  As a professional you want people to invest in you...and marketing yourself is a big part of that.

But on top of all that....it have many eloquent writers in the forum.  Some versed in both the wriiten word...standard english and colloquial vernacular....and we have interviewers, interviewed and those in the public eye, who would definitely get a hearing from the relevant authorities.  Let's tickle the relevant sporting bodies to introduce some measure of image development for the athletes.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 08:25:31 AM »
Fishs, you have a point dey, but as Ato pointed out earlier, to the some it may not matter how the man speaks in the mike, but the audience he will address will be the broke audience...the audience who cyah help that man really aspire to the top of his game....NOT the audience who will enable that man to leave behind a legend and possibly clear the way for others like himself to follow.  As a professional you want people to invest in you...and marketing yourself is a big part of that.

But on top of all that....it have many eloquent writers in the forum.  Some versed in both the wriiten word...standard english and colloquial vernacular....and we have interviewers, interviewed and those in the public eye, who would definitely get a hearing from the relevant authorities.  Let's tickle the relevant sporting bodies to introduce some measure of image development for the athletes.

I fully agree with a plan to improve not only the athletic ability but also the overall package. Look what was done for Brian Lara , chanderpaul, Yorke etc. there is life after the sport and Ato is good testimony to that.
What is therefore the role and funtion of a sport company ? I am sorry but i cannot accept de leave we just so attitude .....not if the goal is development  !

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006, 11:39:40 AM »
talk yuh talk tnt.....f#ck de rest

...and stay backwards while 'de rest' progress.

All dis talk remind me ah when Noel lost he crown tuh Arturo Frias...and de commentator in de ring aks him what happened.  Pardna leaned into de mic and say "he buss me lip"....I really couldn't pay attention to anything else he say after dat nah...

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »
We talk about this before and here we go again.
Ah man come from ah situation where he niehgbours, family an frens talking trini,
he go tuh school an eh no brain, pass fuh ah junior sec an realise he is ah good athlete an train hard an ting.
One day he get ah break an make it tuh de world stage.
Man put mike in he face an ask him. " So wha yuh put dong yuh success to an wha yuh tink yuh go do in de future ?
Answer : ' Ah did train hard in mih yute an ah want to be de best runner in de world , betta dan Ato "

He niegbours, family and frens glad fuh him an dey understand everything he say an not cringing.
Yuh think any of dem studying whether he speak, sorry spoke acceptable english or not?
De youth man priority was to win at his trade.
With exposure people learn to adapt to new things and in time that same youth will probably speak better.

Personally I used to be bothered by the badspeak in the past but now with the exposure I have had, once ah man has his self pride has a high level of self esteem and is comfortable being himself. Who the hell are we to question how he wants to speak ?

I don't think one should question a person's worth on how he speaks.  Personal development is important and that it should be part of an athlete's training.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »
[quote author=jai john link=topic=10475.msg95071#msg95071

I fully agree with a plan to improve not only the athletic ability but also the overall package. Look what was done for Brian Lara , chanderpaul, Yorke etc.

Chanderpaul???  He is a perfect example of someone who needs help.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »
When I was in school, it was common to speak in standard English to your teachers, or if you partcipate in class, even though you would obviously talk "trini" or slang when talking to your friends. Has this changed? Maybe I am remembering conveniently (or just damn old), but I find it hard to believe that standard English is "essentially a foreign language"

We have to admit, we LANGUAGE sweet too bad.
When I was HOME, It used to GRIND me when my parents would tell me to speak properly. Well I WAS SPEAKING MY language and who was day to tell me to speak someting else. eh?
I hope allya catch my driff. We speak Trinidadian.

And YOU are right when I came to Canada, all I used to get was "HUH, what did you just say?"
SOOOO to communicate my ideas to others i HAD to speak properly. ;D  wait wait.....speak in a way that others would understand me......basically I was NOT talkin TRINIDADIANESE any more.

my point is....invite de Queen to this forum and she and she husband would NOT understand most of what is going on here

I had the same problem when I moved here to the US in '99. When I first got to the States, I spoke too fast.
However, over time, I learned to slow down my rate of speech and most people understand me now.

As for our athletes, I agree with Ato. All they need is a few classes in effective communication in they will be fine. The art of effective communication is a difficult one to master and needs much time and practice.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 01:43:29 PM »
Besides Brian Lara, Ato Boldon and Dwight Yorke, another Trinidadian athlete who expresses himself well is Ian Bishop. I once heard him commentating a test match between West Indies and Australia back in 2003 and was very impressed by his elocution and pronounciation.

Although his performances for the West Indies leave much to be desired, Darren Ganga is also another sportsman who expresses himself very well. I have had the opportunity to hear him being interviewed after he made a century against Australia in 2003 and was also impressed.

1]; } ?>