April 25, 2024, 08:25:13 PM

Author Topic: FIFA executive in World Cup ticket scandal  (Read 1644 times)

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA executive in World Cup ticket scandal
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:29:39 PM »
FIFA executive in World Cup ticket scandal
by Nick Harris (The Independent)

One of Fifa's most senior executives could profit by more than £10m from World Cup ticket sales in a scandal that will horrify supporters and raise fears that some senior officials ­ and individuals within sponsor companies ­ are exploiting their positions to milk the tournament for personal gain.

In a move that has caused outrage in Trinidad & Tobago, who face England in the group stage, the Caribbean nation's entire ticket allocation has been allocated to a travel agency owned by Jack Warner, a Fifa vice-president who is also the president of CONCACAF and a special advisor to the Trinidad & Tobago FA.

Warner, 62, a former history lecturer turned property developer, is a director of the agency Simpaul Travel Services Limited, as is his wife, Maureen, and sons, Daryan and Darryl. The company is not selling individual match tickets, but rather "travel packages" that include tickets and accommodation but, bizarrely, not travel, either to Germany, or between venues, which costs extra.

A company sales executive, Natasha Simmons, confirmed to The Independent yesterday that basic packages, excluding flights but including 12 nights in a hotel in Germany and seats for Trinidad & Tobago's three group games ­ against England, Paraguay and Sweden ­ cost $30,000 in local currency (£2,720).

The face value of the three tickets combined is a maximum of £200.

Simpaul's other costs are estimated to be around £820 per package for hotels, plus £40 for a "supporters' kit" that comprises a shirt, a wristband, a flag, a travel bag, a whistle, a poster and a fridge magnet.

Simpaul stand to make around £1,660 profit per package. The company will not confirm how many tickets it has, but local estimates suggest between 6,500 and 8,000 per game. It is estimated that Simpaul could make between £10.8m and £13.3m profit if it sells every ticket as part of a package.

The initial revelation that Warner, who is from Trinidad, was the owner of Simpaul and that his firm had secured all his country's allocation, came after an investigation by the local Trinidad Express newspaper last month.

Neither Warner nor Oliver Camps, the president of the TTFA and a friend of Warner's, were available for comment last night. Camps had earlier told the local paper: "The [TTFA] executive asked that no one answer any questions at the moment."

Following an uproar in Trinidad that Warner's company could be profiteering at the expense of fans, Fifa have announced that they have appointed Ernst & Young as "independent external auditors to monitor and evaluate the overall ticketing project for the 2006 World Cup".

The auditing firm's remit includes a whole range of technical and ethical issues, including situations like that in Trinidad, which, while not illegal, does contravene the spirit of Fifa's anti-profiteering message on tickets.

Fifa has also acted to quell the Trinidad controversy by saying that Simpaul's website now carries the message that packages do not include match tickets. The agency's website now says "you must source these directly via from TTFA or via the Fifa website". The Independent's direct enquiry to Simpaul yesterday exposed this as untrue. Simpaul is still offering tickets. A spokeswoman at the TTFA also said that Simpaul was the place to buy tickets.

The government in Trinidad is under pressure to intervene and allow sales directly to fans, and not via Simpaul.

In a separate development, two ticket agencies that have been advertising World Cup seats on the internet and in newspapers have told The Independent that they source their tickets via tournament sponsors and national associations.

One company based in America named a major tournament sponsor, whose parent company is American, as one source, and also named a major European FA as another source of its tickets. Fifa yesterday declined to comment on individual cases being investigated, although the timing of Ernst & Young's appointment ­ last week ­ suggests the world governing body is increasing its efforts to clamp down on profiteering and black market sales.

The agencies that claim to be being supplied with seats by sponsors and FAs are typically selling seats at more than 10 times their face value.

"We have spent a lot of time on nurturing contacts [with sponsor companies and FAs] and spent a lot of money on these tickets," a spokeswoman for one agency said.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:09:39 AM by Tallman »

truetrini

Re: Jack & the ticket fiasconmaking headlines internationally
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »
Hey Peg..yuh old hero jack being the Ripper eh?

LOL :rotfl:

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:39:47 PM »
nice article Peg..and the headlines sweet too..Ticket Fiascon!  hahahahaha Yuh back wiht yuh sense ah humour.

Yuh still in finance or what? How yuh so scarce?  And ah told Al yuh back he say he eh see yuh drop by at all.

I like the way Jack under pressure, but it appears dat dey still selling tickets just not advertising.

Well well well.

I woner what Pointman and Ribbit have tuh say about this?

See what a letter writing campaign can start and eventually achieve!

De whole world seeing Jack for what he is.

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:48:38 PM »
Thanks much Truetrini.  I will start posting more frequently.  Still in finance.  Lots of time demands but will make the time to be more active.  Really looking forward to the trip to Germany in less than 5 months.  What is Al website again.  I will drop him a note.  Take care

truetrini

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:00:38 AM »
good work tt, yuh reveal de man scandalous ways, warner gettin real fiah 4 riippin he own off  :beermug:

breds it eh me..is Lasana and he expose who do dat.

I say de same things but jes here and ah send out letters but it have nuff man who write letters too.

I jes real happy he get it in he ass! and now people seeing he for what he is

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
Pressuh in he ass...
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA executive in World Cup ticket scandal
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
I wonder if like in the football 2006 will be  different to 1989 ? Wasn't there a ticket enquiry then too ? As far as I remember they hauled in everyone else but de man accused of ticket fruad ! De man had de gaull to boast that deh couldn't touich him ..isn't he making de same claim now ? So how is it different ?????
Since de case wid de money in de bank account in England kyah start and de boys bailng out each udder and  ting I wonder if we boy name go all in dat case too ??
Jack be nimble Jack be quick .....

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »
What is the situation as it stands now in Trini? Has the government been successful in acquiring tickets for sale to those who will not be going to Simpaul's (and I hope that that would be EVERYBODY). I hope that this will not be the usual seven day wonder.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »
Leh we suppose dis bring down Jack empire ?
Allyuh ready fuh de possible fallout ?
Chaos in TTFF.
Players reaction.
TT ostracised by FIFA.
No big voice in FIFA etc.

TTFF  could end up ah bigger banana republic.
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>