April 27, 2024, 11:59:26 AM

Author Topic: Jaime Moreno  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Jaime Moreno
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
Class is class. MLS original General. One of my favourite players to watch in MLS, along with Valderama  :applause: :applause: :cheers:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
Re: Jaime Moreno
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
fellah was skillful. does not get the credit he deserves. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Bruce Arena once called Moreno the greatest MLS player of all time.

Hard to argue with that.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
True. His final years wasn't all that good though. Probably because they broke up their winning team back in like '07 or something.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
True. His final years wasn't all that good though. Probably because they broke up their winning team back in like '07 or something.

fish,
    The MLS in the early days had this rigid salary cap that messed up DC's ability to grow and has affected the club. When DC won the 2nd MLS title, they were at the max in salaries. DC then had to lower the cap. Then had to sell some of their players. I remember Harkes went to either NY or NE. That moved broke DC momentum to win conscutive MLS title. Well that is my opinion. I support most DC sport team to my detriment at times. But after they made way for his majesty(Beckham),  money started to flow to the other teams. Now DC scrunting. But the real issue for DC is stadium. They either renovate RFK or build one in MD or VA. There is no property big enough, except Poplar point near the baseball stdium,  in DC to build another stadium. The city want to use that for some fancy business retail and condos. Plus the residents are sick of stadium proposals. They have maxed out with the baseball stadium. They don't want to make concessions for soccer. After all them years when baseball abandon them, soccer use to fill the void. Now the city council could care lesss. But if the Redskins say they want to move back to DC, they will tear down the casa blanca to build a new stadium.

But Moreno was Class A+++. He and Echeverry were a dynamic duo.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
Classy... classy... classy player.  First Bolivian to play in the English Premier League.

I remember the early days of him, Marco ("El Diablo") Etcheverry, Eddie Pope, Jeff Agoos, Tony Sanneh, Harkesy, Mario Gori, Clint Peay and Raul Diaz Arce lighting it up MLS for DC.  I didn't make it to many games, but watched most on TV. Arena represented the sport well and his early DC teams reflected that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »
Classy... classy... classy player.  First Bolivian to play in the English Premier League.

I remember the early days of him, Marco ("El Diablo") Etcheverry, Eddie Pope, Jeff Agoos, Tony Sanneh, Harkesy, Mario Gori, Clint Peay and Raul Diaz Arce lighting it up MLS for DC.  I didn't make it to many games, but watched most on TV. Arena represented the sport well and his early DC teams reflected that.

I went to a couple games,  and the football was outstanding in those days. Arena had that team in sync. That line up was real consistent. They had a Colombia guy(just can't remember his name) use to play defence, was a very good reader of the game. He and Pope were the two middle men. Very good team and nice football. But they really need to come with some ideas for RFK. Fix it or find somewhere new.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
I went to a couple games,  and the football was outstanding in those days. Arena had that team in sync. That line up was real consistent. They had a Colombia guy(just can't remember his name) use to play defence, was a very good reader of the game. He and Pope were the two middle men. Very good team and nice football. But they really need to come with some ideas for RFK. Fix it or find somewhere new.

Llamosa??  He came in around 1998, 1999 if memory serves correct.  Eventually was naturalized and played for the US... if that's who yuh thinking of.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »
Yep, that is the guy. Yes and he did play for the US in one WC. Good reader of the game. timely tackles. Good header of the ball. That little era was great while it lasted.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:52:51 AM »
Llamosa joined DC United in 1997 and won the MLS Cup (their 2nd consecutive) with the team that year.

He was an excellent defender and it's a shame for the USA that he didn't get citizenship until he was almost 30 years old.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
Wha prompt this thread?

He dead or sumting?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »

fish,
    The MLS in the early days had this rigid salary cap that messed up DC's ability to grow and has affected the club. When DC won the 2nd MLS title, they were at the max in salaries. DC then had to lower the cap. Then had to sell some of their players. I remember Harkes went to either NY or NE. That moved broke DC momentum to win conscutive MLS title. Well that is my opinion. I support most DC sport team to my detriment at times. But after they made way for his majesty(Beckham),  money started to flow to the other teams. Now DC scrunting. But the real issue for DC is stadium. They either renovate RFK or build one in MD or VA. There is no property big enough, except Poplar point near the baseball stdium,  in DC to build another stadium. The city want to use that for some fancy business retail and condos. Plus the residents are sick of stadium proposals. They have maxed out with the baseball stadium. They don't want to make concessions for soccer. After all them years when baseball abandon them, soccer use to fill the void. Now the city council could care lesss. But if the Redskins say they want to move back to DC, they will tear down the casa blanca to build a new stadium.

But Moreno was Class A+++. He and Echeverry were a dynamic duo.

I not saying he wasn't class. They still were winning after their second title. Their last major title was Supporters' Shield with Emilio and Gomez and he ball that season nicely. From there, it was downhill for the team hardcore and for Moreno as well.
That stadium has been ah real issue for sure though. Ways. Rel years they taking.

Besides Moreno, all yuh see McBride backheel flick? D man last game ever as he was retiring at the end of the season.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
Wha prompt this thread?

He dead or sumting?

retire and de Observer give him some props. on another note.... is the MLS bias when assigning players to certain teams? specifically LA and NY...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »
Great player...

Often looked like a man amongst boys in the MLS and for his nat'l team
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
Guess de other retiree gets no props :devil: Buh he sure score a nice goal to retire with ... his 175th at that, provided my ears didn't deceive me.

P.S. I must have been pre-occupied 'cause I seemed to have missed Moreno's stamp on the game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:11:41 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
Wha prompt this thread?

He dead or sumting?

retire and de Observer give him some props. on another note.... is the MLS bias when assigning players to certain teams? specifically LA and NY...

Tongue,
            The networks and sports assoc. always want a East/West rivalry in the final. But they only want NY/LA. Exception is dallas in football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
Guess de other retiree gets no props :devil: Buh he sure score a nice goal to retire with ... his 175th at that, provided my ears didn't deceive me.

P.S. I must have been pre-occupied 'cause I seemed to have missed Moreno's stamp on the game.

Well, stamp on the American game... can't knock his contributions.

Kicker, kinda sad that I never really saw him in action for Bolivia... they come like Rwanda, somewhere in the back of my subconcious I suppose I knew they had a team, lol

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »
Wha prompt this thread?

He dead or sumting?

Tongue,
            The networks and sports assoc. always want a East/West rivalry in the final. But they only want NY/LA. Exception is dallas in football.

Well I know for a fact regarding them designated players, the team goes after who they want, like in Europe. But players may not want to go other teams or cities.
Otherwise, you get in via trials or being drafted like in the NBA.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

Well, stamp on the American game... can't knock his contributions.

Kicker, kinda sad that I never really saw him in action for Bolivia... they come like Rwanda, somewhere in the back of my subconcious I suppose I knew they had a team, lol

Hoss Bolivia iz real skin out teams up in de mountains under altitude, but on equal footing is level sh*t lol....

In WC '94 they were supposed tuh have a lil something (had a good run in qualifiers) but they kinda pop down in the finals.  They also made it to a Copa America final (in Bolivia surprise surprise), and Brazil wash them 3-1 in a game where the scoreline was actually harsh on Bolivia....Moreno was a boss in that game.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »
Hoss Bolivia iz real skin out teams up in de mountains under altitude, but on equal footing is level sh*t lol....

In WC '94 they were supposed tuh have a lil something (had a good run in qualifiers) but they kinda pop down in the finals.  They also made it to a Copa America final (in Bolivia surprise surprise), and Brazil wash them 3-1 in a game where the scoreline was actually harsh on Bolivia....Moreno was a boss in that game.

Ha ha... that's right, I take that back.  I remember the controversy about 3yrs ago when FIFA wanted to move all games to sea-level and Evo "protested" by taking a sweat in the mountains, lol  Still never follow them or see Jaime play though  :-\
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:04:18 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
Bolivia has a couple players of note. Marcelo Martins is a player trying to settle down professionally (I would say akin to Gio dos Santos, but less prominently so). Having seen him during WC qualifying I'll say there's no surprise he has caught a few scouting eyes. He's played for Brazil at youth level via his dad's citizenship.

I have hope that he'll settle as well given the arrival in Europe of players like Beausejour and Alexis Sanchez et al. Bolivia is a frustrating environment too. Their federation is a piece of work and infrastructurally there are a lot of challenges. Yeah ppl like to bash dem on the altitude thing, but given what dey wukkin with they haven't done badly at all vis-a-vis the resources of their neighbours in football terms. The country's weak institutionality has been a legacy of its politics pre- and post-Banzer.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
In WC '94 they were supposed tuh have a lil something (had a good run in qualifiers) but they kinda pop down in the finals. 

It certainly didn't help when Etcheverry got a red card as soon as he stepped on the field in the opening game.

They also made it to a Copa America final (in Bolivia surprise surprise), and Brazil wash them 3-1 in a game where the scoreline was actually harsh on Bolivia....Moreno was a boss in that game.

I remember watching that game. Didn't Taffarel let in a real howler?
- Xavi

1]; } ?>