April 23, 2024, 05:47:37 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 163873 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #870 on: September 02, 2023, 07:47:38 PM »
Molino: Eve has lost the locker room! 95% of the players don’t want him.
By Lasana Liburd

Trinidad and Tobago international midfield ace Kevin Molino says he will not represent his country again under Soca Warriors head coach Angus Eve and gave a stinging review of Eve’s stewardship of the Men’s National Senior Team.

“For me I am done—I don’t want to be a part of this mess,” the 33-year-old Columbus Crew player told Wired868. “I don’t want to be part of a [set-up where the] national coach is using the national team for his own benefit. I don’t want to be part of that.

https://wired868.com/2023/09/02/molino-eve-has-lost-the-locker-room-95-of-the-players-dont-want-him/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 05:28:24 AM by Trini _2026 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2023, 02:39:46 PM »
Molino: Eve has lost the locker room! 95% of the players don’t want him.
By Lasana Liburd

Trinidad and Tobago international midfield ace Kevin Molino says he will not represent his country again under Soca Warriors head coach Angus Eve and gave a stinging review of Eve’s stewardship of the Men’s National Senior Team.

“For me I am done—I don’t want to be a part of this mess,” the 33-year-old Columbus Crew player told Wired868. “I don’t want to be part of a [set-up where the] national coach is using the national team for his own benefit. I don’t want to be part of that.

https://wired868.com/2023/09/02/molino-eve-has-lost-the-locker-room-95-of-the-players-dont-want-him/

A player plays and a coach  coaches. Now it is difficult to ascertain what the facts are and what these allegations suggest . There is a vagueness to this.  What is the so called  'mess'? - naming of coach? practice? team selection? coaching decisions?
 what self benefit  is there for this coach?

In  my opinion, given this payer's age, and the injuries he has been dealing with,  his impact  on the field has not been  noticeable. I think to avoid risk of injury and to ensure  a job and livelihood , I think it would be best at age 33 to just ride out ; Is not like  Molino is ah Messi.

Nothing  to  be ashamed of- KM has done yeoman  service to his country and has been a willing call up to represent when healthy. All the best-

Playing for TnT at this time  relative to the  progress of others in the region, you need to know when the time is up :

On a  Tnt Team
 bound for nowhere
 looking  for glory
 but only finding more stories
Ineptitude  overtook us,
and man starting to cuss

ah know, he  made a life
Out of  playing in many places
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way the coaches are
So  he don't mind  sayin'
he can see TnT out of aces
so he making ah choice
 "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right
 The man believe that he
 got to know when to hold 'em
and Know when to fold 'em up
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
cyar  count your money
When you're playing for nutting
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the playing days are done done
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:50:54 PM by ABTrini »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 04, 2023, 05:05:27 AM »
A player plays and a coach  coaches. Now it is difficult to ascertain what the facts are and what these allegations suggest . There is a vagueness to this.  What is the so called  'mess'? - naming of coach? practice? team selection? coaching decisions?
 what self benefit  is there for this coach?

All of the above ABtrini ,   Yes  self benefit he is getting a salary with no results to show for it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 04, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
Sancho to TTFA: Address Molino's claims, find solution
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

T&T's Fifa 2006 World Cup defender and former English-based professional Brent Sancho is calling on the T&T Football Association's (TTFA) Fifa-appointed normalisation committee to address the startling claims being made by former men's captain Kevin Molino.

The 33 year-old Molino, who was appointed captain by coach Angus Eve for the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup, announced his international retirement on Instagram on Friday.

"I've been able to make lifelong friends, face fierce rivals and lead the nation as a captain of the senior team," Molino said on Friday. "Now, that dream has come to an end. It's time to say goodbye for now."

However, in an interview with Wired868, Molino said that Eve has lost the dressing room and he no longer wished to be a part of his team. He also alleged that players were forced to haggle for proper match fees for the Gold Cup, there was no clear strategy of play and there was a lack of respect for players.

Sancho said the Robert Hadad-led normalisation committee needs to look into the merit of Molino's statements, while all key figures involved must also find common ground ahead of T&T's Concacaf Nations League matches vs Curacao and El Salvador on September 7 and 10 respectively.

"It's sad that he felt frustrated to air his grievances in the public domain. At the end of the day, I have to respect that he feels a particular way," Sancho told Newsday.

"My concern is a player of that experience and capability coming out and speaking like that – he felt that compelled to make that statement in the public domain....You would only hope that there's some sort of dialogue and mediation between the coach and Kevin. I think the matters he raised should be addressed as well."

Molino, who was named in Eve's 40-man provisional squad for the upcoming Nations League matches, started two of T&T's three games at the Gold Cup, while he was used as a substitute in the other. On the back of T&T's disappointing Gold Cup exit, which saw 4-1 and 6-0 losses to Jamaica and United States respectively, Sancho said it was disheartening to see Molino step away from the international scene.

"The contributions he would have given in the national shirt must never go unnoticed," Sancho said. "From a purely fanatical point of view, as a fan of Trinidad and Tobago football, you would want to see him come back and represent us at some time. I still feel as though he has some contributions left in his legs."

Sancho also said the normalisation committee must do more to improve the state of T&T football.

"(They) have had enough time to put in a well-utilised technical committee. We have seen decisions already and I would consider some of these decisions ad-hoc," Sancho said. "There's no transparency in these decisions and there's no reporting to the public at large as to why these decisions are made. Of course, that's a major concern."

"A technical committee needs to have footballing minds coming together who can chart the way forward," Sancho said. "That is one of the reasons why we are in the situation that we're in. We don't have any of that."

With just three days to go before T&T's Nations League battle with Curacao at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Sancho says that Eve has his hands full.

"You have to put all egos aside and have honest conversations with these players," Sancho said. "Honest and meaningful conversations are needed to guide the way. If somebody of that caliber is making these sorts of statements in the public domain, then you do have to dig a little deeper into it."

"Can you as the coach get yourself in a position now where you can push the players to perform?" Sancho asked. "(Eve) himself has to assess and determine what's the next best step...I'm sure that is something coach Eve is already doing."

As far as the players go, Sancho says that personal feeling must be put aside for the sake of national pride.

"Despite what was said, the players themselves now owe the public a performance. I know if these statements are true, then there will be some frustrated players, but they have to find a way to get results. The players need it and the country needs it.

Hadad and TTFA general secretary Amiel Mohammed did not respond to requests by Newsday for a comment up to press time on Sunday. Newsday understands that nobody from the TTFA has reached out to Molino as well to discuss his comments.

Eve is also yet to name his final squad for Thursday's match.

On August 23, Eve saw his contract as T&T's senior men's team coach extended to March 2024.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 04, 2023, 01:16:55 PM »
Sancho talking rubbish if what Molino saying is true. If Eve lost the locker room, has no tactical plan and solely depending on individual brilliance as his game plan, no amount of national pride can deliver results against international competition.

Sancho, Corneal, Hadad and company are all contributing to the downfall of our football. Then again, you can't fall if you laying on the ground.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #875 on: September 06, 2023, 01:14:57 AM »
David, Moore side-step Molino issues
...as coach Eve focuses on Curacao match with changes
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

“All focus is on Curacao.”

Defender Aubrey David and striker Reon Moore made the comment during the team’s training session Tuesday afternoon in preparation for the Concacaf Nations League ‘A’ match against Curacao, which will take place Thursday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, Port-of-Spain from 6 pm.

Both players have side-stepped issues highlighted by the former captain and midfielder Kevin Molino, that coach Angus Eve had lost the dressing room during the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States in June/July.

Molino, 33, the Columbus Crew player who returned from injuries recently, also accused coach Eve of lacking technically and tactically skills as a coach.

Moore, who was overlooked for the Concacaf Gold Cup, said he was not aware of the issues raised by Molino and wanted to focus on the match at hand.

David too, downplayed the recent development in the national team, saying they first want to concentrate on Curacao and then El Salvador three days later on Monday (September 10).

“We have 23 players right now. We have a good mixture with senior team players and young players who came in with a lot of motivation and a point to prove, and I think it’s a good mix,” said David. “This is a chance for them to showcase what they can do and raise their hands and say why they deserve to be here, so I think this is just good for us, but we would like to just focus on the game, and get three points on Thursday.”

Quizzed on the Curacao team, David said: “Well, recently, we saw them at the Gold Cup and saw that they have a decent team. They have a lot of players playing in good leagues and we know they’re going to be coming with everything because it’s the first game for them also.

“They have a lot of players who are fast, technical, and are good dribblers of the ball on one-versus-one situations, so we can expect that they’re going to come and play on the counter-attack, but we know that it’s not going to be an easy game.”

Eve, who too, appeared focused in the centre of the field alongside assistant coaches Derek King and Clayton Ince yesterday, released a 23-man team for the match that included midfielder, Swedish-based Kristian Lee Him, who told the media he will be equipped with much-needed experience and leadership abilities which he gained from playing in Europe.

Apart from Lee Him, Eve’s team will be minus some 12 players who represented the country at the Concacaf Gold Cup, such as goalkeepers Marvin Phillip and Nicklas Frenderup, hard-hitting attacking defender Alvin Jones, Joevin Jones, Sheldon Bateau and Real Gill, among others.

Instead, Eve has opted to recall the speedy Moore who plays for Defence Force in the T&T Premier Football League, along with towering striker Brent Sam, Ross Russell Jr, Duane Muckette, Michel Poon Angeron, and Nathaniel James, the talented Club Sando striker who was among the leading goal scorers in the top tier local league.

Thursday’s game will be the first time they play a match at Hasely Crawford Stadium since defeating Saint Martin 2-0 in a friendly in January.

T&T has only faced Curacao once before and it was a memorable clash at the 2014 Caribbean Cup in a back-and-forth contest which T&T won 3-2.

T&T TEAM

GOALKEEPERS

Denzil Smith, Jabari St Hillaire, Christopher Biggette

DEFENDERS

Aubrey David, Ross Russell Jr, Jesse Williams, Kareem Moses, Justin Garcia, Shannon Gomez, Andre Raymond

MIDFIELDERS

Andre Rampersad, Duane Muckette, Neveal Hackshaw, Michel Poon Angeron, Kevon Goddard, Kristian Lee Him, Daniel Phillips.

FORWARDS

Ryan Telfer, Kaile Auvray, Nathaniel James, Reon Moore, Malcolm Shaw, Brent Sam

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #876 on: September 07, 2023, 01:26:04 AM »
Kevin Molino says the quiet part out loud - Is everything okay, TTFA?
By Colin Muray (T&T Guardian).

With the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) roughly 75 percent complete with just the Trinidad & Tobago and Guyana legs to be played, I would have normally reviewed the performances and, in some cases, the non-performance of the various franchises.

However, someone sent me a quite stunning article a few days ago and due to the fact it is about T&T’s Soca Warriors, I believed this to be of greater interest, at least in the long term, rather than the CPL, which can be dealt with later on.

The article in question refers to T&T’s international midfielder Kevin Molino, who has retired from playing for the red, white and black. In the article, Molino says, “For me, I am done - I don’t want to be a part of this mess…I don’t want to be part of a set -up where the national coach is using the national team for his own benefit. I don’t want to be part of that. For me, he lost the locker room. One hundred percent, he lost the locker room.”

Wow! Coming from not just a national player but a stand-out one in Kevin Molino, who has represented the Soca Warriors for years and has played in the USA’s premier football division - Major League Soccer (MLS) with some degree of success. Ironically, the coach Molino is referring to is national coach Angus Eve, who gave the armband to Molino before the disappointing 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup campaign. Only last week, Eve named the US-based midfielder in a 40-man shortlist to face Curacao on Thursday evening and against El Salvador on September 10.

Molino went on to suggest that the players felt Eve was never on their side but instead was looking to sacrifice their interest for his employers - the FIFA imposed normalisation committee that still to this day runs the Trinidad & Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

Appointed in March 2020 amid heavy controversy, this normalisation committee must be one of the longest-ever committees in the world to take over a national body without fulfilling its mandate, calling an election and putting people who know about football to run the affairs of the beautiful game in this country.

According to FIFA, when it imposed this committee on the TTFA in March 2020 - “The specified period of time during which the normalisation committee will perform its functions will expire as soon as it has fulfilled all of its assigned tasks, but no later than 24 months after its members have been officially appointed by FIFA.”

It’s been 3.5 years, and this normalisation committee seems to have no end in sight.

Molino has said much more, suggesting that there was no clear strategy of play and a lack of respect for the players. Now, I am not taking what Molino has said as the gospel, but I do know (and I commented previously) about the embarrassing performance by the Soca Warriors at the Gold Cup earlier in June this year, and if my memory is still intact, I really cannot remember seeing a statement from the TTFA, through the FIFA imposed normalisation committee, about this country’s poor performance at the Gold Cup and what went wrong with the team.

Eve, perhaps quite surprisingly, has been given a strong vote of confidence by the FIFA imposed normalisation committee to continue as national coach despite the abysmal results at the Gold Cup. However, these revelations by Molino paint an entirely different picture of what is happening in local football and where this country is heading. As I have indicated, Molino is just one player, and he may very well have a grouch with the national coach for one reason or another but for him to come out publicly and talk about the alleged problems encountered by the players is indeed very sad, and for him to be brave enough and probably realising the consequences has forced him into early retirement. The ordeal may be quite reminiscent of what transpires to other athletes in various sports locally who are brazen enough to speak out against poor administrative and coaching practices.

Now, will Kevin Molino’s comments be taken seriously by the normalisation committee as losing a player of Molino’s experience before the Concacaf Nations League games cannot be good for football? The committee needs to investigate Molino’s revelations and sort this out before the games against Curacao and El Salvador. Not only do they have to look into the comments Molino made, but how do the rest of the players feel? Has anyone reached out to the players before tonight's encounter?

What is also sad about this affair is that Molino's vast experience will be lost to T&T’s football when he may still have a contribution to make, especially with youngsters coming through the ranks. Though not entirely optimistic, I am hopeful that another issue in T&T football is not swept under the carpet. Some of the decisions taken by the FIFA imposed normalisation committee are baffling at times. Their communication with the football-loving fans in this country is almost non-existent, especially as to why and how decisions are made.

So, where does T&T football go from here? How will Angus Eve address this stinging criticism by his former captain? How are the players going to look at Eve after Molino’s comments? Of course, I expect all egos to be put aside for the good of the national team all players would go out there and give 150 percent, as anything less would not end up in a positive result for the Soca Warriors.

My wish is by the time you read this, the TTFA will have reached out to Molino, Eve, and the national players to at least give them some sort of comfort that all the issues are going to be addressed so that the football fans can be proud of the performance of the Soca Warriors.

Before I close, I enquired about the opening of the Secondary Schools League and was told the league was opening with a game between the two big teams from 2022 – Fatima and St Benedict’s College – on Friday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. But before I could put the phone down properly, I was told the game couldn’t be played on Friday because TTFA indicated the day before T&T plays Curacao at the venue. Am I missing something here? So what do they do they put it on Saturday when at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, there are CPL fixtures carded, so the sport-loving public has to now decide either to support the school opening or to support TKR. Typically, illogical planning by those concerned.

I wonder what was the reason the game could not be played on Friday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Perhaps I forgot for a moment that this is Trinidad & Tobago, where simple matters are always made into complex ones.

Editor’s note: The views expressed in the preceding article are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any organisation of which he is a stakeholder.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #877 on: September 07, 2023, 01:28:56 AM »
Soca Warriors dribble past Eve, Molino questions.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T PLAYERS dribbled around questions from the media regarding the mood in the Soca Warriors camp, following comments made by former midfielder and captain Kevin Molino concerning the issues in T&T football including the criticism of head coach Angus Eve.

On Friday, Molino announced his retirement from T&T football. The following day, in a Wired868 article, Molino highlighted many concerns including the lack of respect for players, no clear strategy of play by Eve and players having to negotiate for match fees. Molino said Eve has lost the dressing room.

His comments came just days before T&T’s match in the Concacaf Nations League against Curacao at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, scheduled for 6 pm on Thursday. Following the Curacao match, T&T will travel to El Salvador to play on Sunday from 10 pm, TT time.

A 23-man T&T squad was named on Tuesday for the match against Curacao with some regular faces missing from the list. A TT Football Association media release, said, “Ruled out through injury are AEK Athens frontman Levi Garcia (quadricep tear), Real Gill (hamstring tear), Tyrone Charles (meniscus and femoral bone bruise), Nicklas Frenderup (femoral bone bruise), Ajani Fortune (hamstring injury) and Josiah Trimmingham (abductor tear).”

However, no explanation was given why brothers Joevin and Alvin Jones, along with goal-keeper Marvin Phillips, were not named in the team. The players were all part of the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup squad in June.

Eve held a training session on Tuesday at Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

Speaking to the media, recalled striker Reon Moore said, “The mood in the camp is very high. I have no knowledge of any off-the-field issues and I think the fresh bunch of guys we here and we are hungry to succeed for our country and ourselves.”

Probed more about the Molino-Eve issue, Moore said, “I did not see the article and I don’t think it will be or should be a distraction for the boys.”

Moore, who was surprisingly overlooked for the Gold Cup, ended the TT Premier Football League in form and carried that form into the 2023 Concacaf Caribbean Cup.

Speaking about his form of late, Moore said, “That’s my natural game, so I think it will be a smooth transition from club to country.”

He plays on the wing for Defence Force primarily, but for the national team he plays as a striker. Moore is grateful to play anywhere on the field.

“I don’t have any preferences, is wherever I need to do a job for the team at the time I will perform at the best of my ability.”

Defender Aubrey David is also focused on the match against Curacao and not any off-the-field trouble. Asked if Eve and the players addressed some of Molino’s problems within the camp, David said, “As I said for now basically our focus is Curacao, nothing more. Just trying to give a good showing of ourselves and trying to get that home support from the crowd and just focus on getting three points.”

David thanked Molino for serving his country, saying, “I have been playing with Kevin since I was 15 years old and he is a special talent, he is very special player. Everybody knows what he can do on the field, he is basically a magician and it has been a pleasure to play with him...obviously, he is going to be missed because he did a lot for the country, he did a good service for the country.”

T&T Squad:

Goalkeepers: Jabari St Hillaire, Christopher Biggette, Denzil Smith.

Defenders: Aubrey David, Ross Russell Jr, Jesse Williams, Kareem Moses, Justin Garcia, Shannon Gomez, Andre Raymond.

Midfielders: Andre Rampersad, Duane Muckette, Neveal Hackshaw, Michel Poon-Angeron, Kevon Goddard, Kristian Lee-Him, Daniel Phillips.

Forwards: Ryan Telfer, Kaile Auvray, Nathaniel James, Reon Moore, Malcolm Shaw, Brent Sam.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #878 on: September 07, 2023, 11:59:04 AM »
Molino: Eve has lost the locker room! 95% of the players don’t want him
By: Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“[…] For me, he lost the locker room. One hundred percent, he lost the locker room.”

Ironically, Molino was Eve’s captain at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup and, on Wednesday, the national head coach named the US-based midfielder in a 40-man shortlist to face Curaçao and El Salvador in Concacaf Nations League A action on 7 September and 10 September respectively.

However, on the eve of the Men’s National Senior Team squad announcement, Molino told Wired868 that he had enough. And he singled out the head coach as the determining factor in his decision.

“This beautiful game should never feel like stress,” said Molino, who claimed that his Gold Cup experience left him so depressed his club arranged therapy to get him back in the right frame of mind.

He said Trinidad and Tobago’s national football set-up is three distinct groups at present: the players, the coaches, and the Fifa-appointed normalisation committee.

And he said the players feel that Eve was never on their side but, instead, was always looking to sacrifice their interest for his employers.

In the build-up to the Gold Cup, the players—represented by goalkeeper Marvin Phillip, defender Sheldon Bateau, and Molino—requested match fees from the normalisation committee, which runs the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

But, as usual, the matter was left to drag on by the administrators until the day before their Gold Cup opener against Saint Kitts and Nevis. The players, Molino said, were not happy with Eve’s role.

“Fellahs, do not bleed the normalisation committee,” Molino claimed Eve told the boys at one point, during their pre-tournament camp.

The Soca Warriors got US$1,500 per match at the 2021 Gold Cup, plus bonuses. Molino claimed that the Normalisation Committee offered US$1,000 and tried to get the foreign-based players to accept it on the grounds that they earned most of their income from their clubs anyway.

“I was a young player once and I remember how it feels,” said Molino. “We want every player at the end of a big tournament like this to be able to buy a [little foreign-used] car or something. We can’t just represent ourselves; we have to represent the younger players too.”

In the end, after a threatened walk-out, the players got the requested US$2,000 per match from the Robert Hadad-led body. But, during the tournament, Molino alleged that Eve said the impact was felt by staff.

“His remarks were that some of the staff got a pay cut because we took all the money,” he said.

But the view that Eve was more interested in keeping Hadad happy than the players was far from Molino’s biggest beef.

The veteran midfielder argued that Eve was tactically not up to the task and the players felt they were constantly being made scapegoats to hide the coach’s shortcomings.

“Lasana there isn’t much tactics to work with, it is all individual,” said Molino. “There is no clear idea of how we want to defend, no clear idea of how we want to attack or what wing we want to go down. We don’t have [passing] combinations to create overloads, you don’t see relationships [between our different lines].

“[…] We don’t have a style of play, we don’t have a clear idea of what we want to do. It was only individual movements: you do this, you do that.”

Molino said players questioned Eve in a team meeting after their 4-1 loss to Jamaica, and it did not go well.

“Some coaches do not want to be challenged and the moment the coach was challenged after the Jamaica game, it became a big, big problem,” he claimed. “We had a meeting discussing what happened and a lot of players said a lot of things. Marvin [Phillip] was saying we don’t know what we are doing and for me I knew that was the end of Marvin.

“I spoke up and Sheldon [Bateau] spoke up. I said we focus too much on the opponents and not on what we want to do and how we want to break down the opponents. We also discussed why we changed the formation from the St Kitts game. He didn’t like it all.”

Molino claimed Eve was too thin-skinned to really take ideas on board from others and said it was frustrating for players who had the experience of working with more accomplished coaches.

“This is a job where you have to deal with criticism, whether you are a coach or player,” he said. “If you don’t want that then this is not the job for you—work in a grocery or wash cars or something.

“But he must never be criticized and never be challenged on anything concerning football, whether it is from the fans or the players or anyone.”

Against the United States, Trinidad and Tobago trailed 3-0 at the half and in trouble. Eve substituted Molino and Joevin Jones at the interval.

Eve replaced Jones with Shannon Gomez and Molino noted that the US-based defender played four different positions in 45 minutes.

“[Gomez] played right back, right wing, left wing and midfield in the same game, and the guy is a right back,” he said. “We have no clue. It was just all over the place.”

Despite being team captain, Molino said he never felt the coach knew how to fit him into his preferred direct tactics and claimed that Eve said that “you and Joevin are unbalancing my team” during one training session.

“Coming off after the first half the coach just turned and said ‘you off, you off’ to me and Joevin,” said Molino. “It was very disrespectful—no explanation, nothing. It’s the same I saw him do to other players and I didn’t like it.

“I said ‘why I’m off?’ He just said ‘because you’re off’. That is how a Trinidad and Tobago coach is dealing with players. Like if Trinidad and Tobago has a population like America or Mexico with a large pool of players.

“We don’t have a large pool of players so we have to come together and figure out how to [co-exist].”

Molino claimed Eve never took responsibility for the team’s poor performances but always laid it on the feet of the players. After the eventual 6-0 loss to USA—a joint record heaviest Gold Cup defeat—he said the Soca Warriors coach even suggested players might be match-fixing.

“He will say anything except ‘it was my fault as the head coach’,” said Molino. “[…] You are the coach and we lost, come out and take blame. To turn around in the locker room after the US game and tell your team how he has a bunch of weak players. But it’s you who picked the players.

“It was like against Jamaica when he said Jamaica has better players. Even if you think that or the world knows that, you cannot say that as a coach. Mentally how are you going to put your players in a position to want to play for you?”

Eve coached Molino at club youth level at San Juan Jabloteh and then Ma Pau SC. He said there was genuine excitement when he initially got the job in 2021.

But then it soon became obvious, to him, that Eve was out of his depth and unable to get the most from his players

“No matter what you do in life we are all human beings—we have to remember that no matter what the job is,” said Molino. “Deal with players as human beings and treat them as you would want to be treated.

“[…] Sometimes I would have to be the one to call players and tell them to keep the faith and say believe in yourself, your time will come. This is even players who were not on tour. Because we need everybody.

“As I said, we do not have the population of Mexico or America. You can’t just drop a player and not give an explanation or phone call. We are going to need each other one day.”

Molino said Eve told the players after the US loss that he was resigning as national coach. (In fact, his contract had expired—although it was quickly renewed by the Normalisation Committee.)

“After the game, he tried to make it not about Trinidad and Tobago but about himself: oh, he’s retiring and he’s leaving Trinidad and Tobago football in a better place,” said Molino.

Behind the scenes, Molino alleged that Eve tried to exploit the poor relations between several senior players and the Normalisation Committee to win himself a new contract—by throwing them under the bus.

The Soca Warriors had a scrimmage against Haiti on 17 June, which was also on Molino’s birthday and they had the day off on the following day. Molino said he told Eve that the players would go out for dinner to celebrate his birthday.

Two months later, he alleged that night out was used as an example of internal indiscipline, as Eve supposedly blamed players for the team’s poor results.

Molino is no stranger to such controversy, after he was dropped for twice breaking camp under former coach Stephen Hart. However, he said Eve tried to use his past against him in this case.

The Normalisation Committee, Molino suggested, are only concerned with money—not the players or the performances of the team. The Hadad-led run body has not activated a technical committee in over three years in charge of the local game.

“They don’t care,” said Molino, when asked whether he voiced the players’ concerns about Eve to the TTFA. “The results are there for everyone to see—it is clear and obvious. You can watch from the outside and tell if a coach has lost the locker room. You can tell we were disjointed.

“But do they care? No, they don’t care. We have a president who won’t even call players before a game and say ‘good luck’. All those things go a long way.

“(Late former TTFA president) Raymond Tim Kee would always come in and around the team and call to see how you were going. But with the last president (David John-Williams) and this president you don’t feel involved.”

Molino said he gave a lot to the national team and the red, white and black shirt as a national senior and youth player, over the past 17 years. But he has reached his limit.

“There are multiple times that I went to play for the national team, left injured and still worked to recover to come and play again in a few weeks,” he said. “That was not for money, that was not me looking for a vacation—that was my pride to wear that shirt. And to see how things transpired after [the Gold Cup], for me it was disrespectful to players whose dream it is to represent their country.

“For me that was the most hurtful thing; that made me decide I would never represent my country… It will hurt me a lot, it is going to take a while for me to actually swallow it—but if it is not for the betterment of the football, I don’t want to be a part of it.

“Until things get fixed, all it has for players on the national team is injury and criticism from my standpoint. Some guys’ bonus with their clubs is way more than what the national team giving and they’re giving up that to come and represent the country.

“And all the players ask for is respect.”

Molino first wore national colours almost two decades ago, when he helped Trinidad and Tobago qualify for successive Fifa World Youth Cup tournaments in 2007 and 2009.

At nation senior level, he was a Concacaf Gold Cup quarterfinalist in 2013 while he is the joint seventh highest all-time goal scorer with 23 goals from 60 appearances.

Only iconic 2006 World Cup star Russell Latapy, who managed 29 goals in a 21-year international career, scored more goals as a midfielder than Molino—although the latter’s 13-year career was blighted by knee injuries that ruled him out for roughly two years.

Beyond Molino, Eve’s most prolific available international scorers are AEK Athens attacker Levi Garcia and Miami FC winger Ryan Telfer, who both have eight goals for the Soca Warriors—combined it is less than Molino’s tally, although Garcia and Telfer have 65 combined caps between them.

Molino said Trinidad and Tobago players are often cowed into silence, afraid to speak for fear of being blacklisted. It is an environment that has become especially difficult for him to handle under Eve, although he believes that he can still play for another two years at the highest level.

He admits that Soca Warriors fans have not seen him at anything near to his best form in some time. But he pointed to the timing of his injuries, which affected his rhythm under the current coach.

The problems within the team camp, he said, go beyond individual performances though. And, although he never wishes the team anything but the best on the field, he said it is hard to believe that they are on the path to success under Eve and the current TTFA administration.

“Ninety-five percent of the players don’t want to play—they call me all the time,” Molino told Wired868. “How can he look them in their eyes after he retired as coach after three months ago, he retired in front of them and blamed them for the team’s problems? A player is not going to respect you and a player is not going to play for you.

“I want people to know what is going on in Trinidad and Tobago football. Sometimes people think the result is just about the players but it is not just the players. The players actually put out a tremendous amount of effort.

“I fought for the red jersey!” Molino reviews time with each T&T coach

“[…] Many times, I didn’t have money to go to training. I used to sell bottles so I could go. My grandmother would help me with money to go training too, but I tried not to ask too much from her.

“Also Kaya’s (Micah Lewis) father would drive all the way from Petit Valley and pick me up to carry me to training sometimes.

“[…] There was something that Anton [Corneal] would do where he would make you train with a white jersey and you had to fight for the right to wear a red jersey. I always took that lesson in my life. You have to fight for that red jersey…”

In the following piece, Trinidad and Tobago’s seventh all-time leading goal scorer Kevin Molino talks to Wired868 about his international football journey with anecdotes on each coach:

Anton Corneal: Trinidad and Tobago National Under-17 team (2006-07)

(Kevin Molino was a key player as Trinidad and Tobago qualified for the Fifa Under-17 World Cup, with a 1-0 win over Jamaica—with Molino scoring the sole item.)

In that period, you’re young and you’re just having fun. Anton [Corneal] and Hutson “Baba” Charles were two people who really helped me a lot.

I remember in those days, many times I didn’t have money to go to training. I used to sell bottles so I could go. My grandmother would help me with money to go training too, but I tried not to ask too much from her. Also Kaya’s (Micah Lewis) father would drive all the way from Petit Valley and pick me up to carry me to training sometimes.

I am so grateful to have players like that around me—and also Stephen Knox, Robert Primus, Daniel Cyrus, Marcus Joseph, Jean-Luc Rochford. Those guys made me a better player.

There was something that Anton would do where he would make you train with a white jersey and you had to fight for the right to wear a red jersey. I always took that lesson in my life. You have to fight for that red jersey.

We went on a lot of tours in those days. We went to Holland, Paraguay, Brazil. That period, they were really invested in us and I think the players from that era should have at least qualified for one senior World Cup. We were well prepared.

I didn’t get picked in my first trial for that team and Kaya’s father said ‘come and try again’. So, I slipped back into the training for another chance and that time they kept me.

I am so grateful for all the people who helped me but especially Anton and Baba. To then go on to score the goal against Jamaica in Jamaica that took us to the Under-17 World Cup—it just shows all you need sometimes is that chance.

Anton and his staff were for the group and understood that we were 15 or 16 years old and some of us had no guidance and he had to work with us. I remember I used to come to training late a lot and he would talk to me about discipline. Some guys came with white jerseys and the neck [of the jersey] was brown because they probably had just one white jersey.

Sometimes Gouveia had to give us money to get to training and home. Sharon O’Brien played a good role too. They showed they cared about us. Not just Anton but the whole staff—that was the most important thing.

Favourite goal: My goal against Jamaica. It was a fast free kick that Jean-Luc [Rochford] played to me and I let it run across my body and slapped it to the keeper’s right.

That game was very difficult and they were fast, strong, and physical, but our trainer was Gilbert Bateau and we used to do a lot of fitness and strength work. We were up to it. Akeem Adams played really well in that game and he played an important role in that team too.

Zoran Vranes: Trinidad and Tobago National Under-20 Team (2009)

(Molino made it to a second successive Fifa World Youth Championship under Vranes.)

We didn’t get too many tours with this team. I remember Zoran had more of a European style of play, which was more long ball and diagonal balls. We were playing a 3-5-2 system. It was strange to us.

I didn’t play that much with him, as I was playing more school football at the time.

He was cool. It was just different and something we are not accustomed to in the Caribbean. But we were getting results. He was a fantastic person. He was always for the group and for the guys.

I can’t remember a favourite goal under Zoran.

Russell Latapy: Men’s National Senior Team (2010)

(Molino made his senior international debut as a teenager under Latapy and managed four caps, all as a starter. T&T were eliminated in the Caribbean Cup group stage though.)

I was shocked. I was 18 or 19 making my debut under my all-time favourite player and one of the best players ever to play in the Caribbean. There were a lot of experienced players around the team, so I was just sucking in information from everyone. And I was also hungry to put on that shirt.

Russell was always someone who knew how to motivate me. There was always a joke in camp when Russell gave you the two winks you knew you were safe.

Otto Pfister: Men’s National Senior Team (2011)

(Molino made four caps for Pfister and scored his first goal in a 2-1 loss away to Bermuda in the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign. T&T were eliminated in the Caribbean qualifying stage.)

Pfister was someone who gave me a lot of confidence. At that period of time, I was unstoppable in my head because of how much he believed in me. Every time he saw me he would say “Million Dollar Legs”. (Laughs)

Favourite goal: I got my first national goal under Pfister. Stern John hit the post and it came to me and I tapped it in.

I am really grateful to play with players like Stern, Devorn Jorsling and Trent Noel, but to me Stern stood out the most because of his mentality. He was so hungry and had so much desire. Spending that little time with Stern was so good for my career.

Hutson Charles: Men’s National Senior Team (2012-13)

(Molino scored two goals from five starts and four substitute appearances, as Trinidad and Tobago qualified for the Concacaf Gold Cup for the first time in six years.)

I have tremendous respect for Baba. He was a great player and a great person. He is so humble, and he always wanted to motivate you. I always enjoyed playing under him.

Favourite goal: I think it was in the Digicel Cup against Martinique. I scooped it over a guy’s leg, chopped another player and shot in the corner.

Stephen Hart: Men’s National Senior Team (2013-16)

(Molino enjoyed the most prolific period of his international career with 13 goals from 15 starts and three substitute appearances, as T&T advanced to successive Concacaf Gold Cup quarterfinals. However he missed the second tournament with a serious knee injury and was eventually cut from squad for breaking curfew—twice.)

We had an identity and we had a game plan under Hart—but we also had a lot of players who were playing outside in competitive leagues too. We had leaders like Jan [Michael Williams] and Kenwyne Jones who used to push us all the time to want to do well.

Hart always gave you the belief as a player and allowed you to be free. But most importantly, we had a way to play—from building out of the back straight to forward. Having a goal without a plan is senseless.

With Hart, you always knew your job. Like if the right stopper got the ball, the left midfielder would show for it; we would look for overloads; if Kenwyne got on the ball, the runners would go—we had a plan.

It had times I let my teammates down and I did with Hart. [Late TTFA president David] John-Williams was always trying to push Hart out and he tried to use me to do that. I remember he called me to find out what was going on in the camp and I was never on getting into that.

As a coach, Hart always dealt with me the right way. From a player to coach standpoint, we were never bad; but the president wanted conflict and he wanted him out.

Hart was a fantastic person and a fantastic guy. He loved the game and believed in his players and believed in what he wanted to do—because you can have a system and not believe in it. He used players according to their strengths.

Favourite goal: My goal against Honduras in the [2013] Gold Cup. I think Cornell [Glen] laid it off me and I took a touch and finished in the corner.

Tom Saintfiet: Men’s National Senior Team (2016-17)

(Kevin Molino never played for Saintfiet but did have an opinion, based on a few training sessions.

He was put in a position to fail—that is what I gathered. He was put there because John-Williams wanted someone to control. As soon he came, he came aggressive towards me and a couple players based on whatever John-Williams told him.

[…] I trained with him once or twice and I said I didn’t want to be part of this. I didn’t think he would ever last.

Dennis Lawrence: Men’s National Senior Team (2017-19)

(Molino scored five times for Lawrence from 13 starts and two substitute appearances, including at the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup. Lawrence had a record losing streak in charge though, as he tried to rebuild the team.)

Dennis was very, very professional. For me, he was one of the most professional coaches I ever played under.

[…] I remember his video guy would create a player profile of everyone we were playing against. He would monitor us constantly using our GPS and so on. Everything was very professional—but we just were not getting the results.

I remember that period of time we were phasing out some of the senior players and trying to get results in very difficult atmospheres with less experienced players.

Favourite goal: I think my favourite goal was the one in Costa Rica because of the atmosphere. It is a very difficult place to play. Someone crossed the ball and Joevin [Jones] squared to me and I used my left foot to hit it past the goalkeeper.

Terry Fenwick: Men’s National Senior Team (2020-21)

I don’t have much to say about Terry because I never really played under him.

Angus Eve: Men’s National Senior Team (2021-23)

(Molino scored in each of his first two games under Eve, but did not score again in any of his eight subsequent appearances. He captained Trinidad and Tobago at successive Gold Cups but was recovering from injury on both occasions and the Soca Warriors did not advance from their group.)

I feel like for that period I was always just coming back from an injury and not fit. It was difficult for me as a player.

Players were excited at first when Angus got the job. There is a new coach and you’re wondering what is in store for you. But then as you could see, we didn’t really have a game plan. It was clear and obvious even from the outside. But he never ever took responsibility. It was always the players or the referee, or something else.

He used everybody as scapegoats and I just had enough.

In the camp before the Gold Cup, he told us he was giving us one day off and asked what day the guys preferred. We were playing Haiti on June 17, which is my birthday, so I said we choose to take Sunday off and, after the game, a few of us went to dinner for my birthday.

I told him and he said alright fine. It was no problem then—that was before the tournament even started. But then after the Gold Cup, it’s all over the place that we “break camp”.

We were in Florida for three weeks and we couldn’t get one day to ourselves? Obviously, you have to be smart and professional but I think this is the most professional team I’ve seen. Nobody stayed out late, nobody went drinking.

How come that wasn’t a problem before? How come that only became a problem after people started calling for him to get fired?

But that is how he is. He is always looking for scapegoats and going back on his word.

The remarks he made to the team too was once we reach to Nations League A we were not camping in the [TTFA] Home of Football. Everybody hates there. But I’m 100 percent sure, they are going right into the Home of Football. Wait and see.

For me when it comes to national football, I’ve given everything. Yes, I’ve let my teammates down at times. But I think I’ve given a lot from since [I played at] National Under-16 level… I don’t want to be a part of this anymore and what the national team has become.

I think I have given everything I can give. Unfortunately, a lot of injuries played a part in me not reaching where I wanted to. So now I want to say goodbye to national football.

I am just grateful for all the coaches for being part of my life. They all helped me—also the managers, physios, equipment managers, even the journalists. (Laughs).

I’d also like to mention Peter Rampersad and the deceased [Raymond] Tim Kee.

I am very grateful they passed along in my life. I will never forget the moments we spent.

I wish them all the best and I hope to cross paths again.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 07, 2023, 06:15:08 PM »
Angus Eve isn’t the problem. Our players are still developing and as they get closer to their peaks, we will see better results. Until then, we will be a work in progress regardless of who the coach is.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 07, 2023, 06:42:06 PM »
Let me help you: Angus Eve is part of the problem, although he isn't exclusively the problem.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 08, 2023, 06:40:27 AM »
Let me help you: Angus Eve is part of the problem, although he isn't exclusively the problem.

This and the unwillingness  to realize that we need an academy system here badly, SSFL and d "development" dat goes there is akin to an accountant playing Sunday league
I pity the fool....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2023, 07:24:15 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8rqG97Y8KOo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8rqG97Y8KOo</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #883 on: September 11, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
Eve and the NC are the problems... PERIOD...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 02, 2024, 04:34:46 PM »
Columbus Crew mutually agree to terminate Kevin Molino’s contract
columbuscrew.com

The Columbus Crew and Kevin Molino have mutually agreed to terminate the midfielder’s contract. The 33-year-old departs after three seasons with the Black & Gold.

“On behalf of the Club, I would like to thank Kevin for his contributions to the Crew over the past three seasons. He is a talented and solid professional who brought good, positive energy to the team, on and off the field,” said Columbus Crew President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “After speaking with Kevin, we have agreed to allow him to pursue other opportunities. It’s been a pleasure to work with him, including winning an MLS title last season, and we wish him all the best in the future.”

Molino joined the Crew as a Free Agent on Jan. 7, 2021, and appeared in 31 regular season games (11 starts), scoring two goals and adding two assists. In the Crew’s 2023 postseason campaign, Molino made five appearances and provided two assists, including a right-footed ball to Cucho Hernandez, who headed it across the face of the goal to Christian Ramirez for the game-winning goal in the 115th minute of the Eastern Conference Final, propelling the Black & Gold to MLS Cup.

TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew mutually agree to terminate Kevin Molino’s contract on Feb. 2, 2024.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>