March 28, 2024, 07:25:43 PM

Author Topic: The Jack Warner Thread.  (Read 423842 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: The Jack Warner Thread.
« Reply #2550 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »
Kamla: I refused to be blackmailed.
By Anika Gumbs (Express).

BLACKMAIL

PRIME Minister Kamla Persad- Bissessar said last night corruption accused Jack Warner is releasing tapes because she refused to be blackmailed in exchange for his reinstatement to the Cabinet.

Persad-Bissessar said she was made aware of the information on the tape immediately following the resignation of Warner as national security minister, but refused to give in to his demands and give him back his job.

This particular tape, featuring allegations of corruption against former minister of the people Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh and his instructions to Kristyan Gokool to go to her official St Ann's residence (which he has denied), was made on August 2013, about four months after Warner resigned from the Government.

Responding to questions sent by the Express yesterday by text, enquiring whether she was privy to the information on the audio tapes before it was aired by Warner, Persad-Bissessar said: “Yes. Immediately after he had resigned from my Cabinet on my request, when in the face of damning allegations about FIFA (including the Sir David Simmons Report), I requested that he go and clear his name. I was made aware of what was being alleged, in an effort to blackmail me into taking him back into Government. Indeed, the allegations featured in the Chaguanas by-election.”

Contrived and bogus allegations

Pressed on her blackmail statement, Persad-Bissessar said: “In light of all of these bogus and contrived allegations, what am I left to assume? As you are aware, he has been bragging that he has files on members of my Government, and immediately after his resignation and more recently, he has been coming to the public with contrived and bogus allegations. He asked to be reinstated in his Government position or else he will bring down my entire Government.”

Former minister of national security minister Gary Griffith is on record as saying he held informal talks with Warner to bridge the gap between him and the People's Partnership.

When the Express contacted Warner yesterday, asking if he attempted to use the recording to get back his job or form an alliance with the Partnership in the upcoming elections, he denied doing this.

Warner said: “I never ever bargained with Ms Persad-Bissessar or anyone else re these disclosures. There are only three people who I have given a copy of the tape—the Integrity Commission, about two years ago; a lawyer, three weeks ago; and Mark Bassant (TV6 reporter), two weeks ago. Kamla has no favours that I want, now or ever. Finally, I do wish to reiterate to the national community that the worst is yet to come.

“I never sent emissaries at any­ time to talk with Kamla but she did, and let her deny that and I will prove it.”

Arrest a plot by Partnership

Warner resigned as national security minister on April 21, 2013, following a damning report from chairman of the CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Associations o Football) Integrity Committee Sir David Simmons, which revealed multimillion-dollar financial mismanagement by Warner and former Concacaf general secretary Chuck Blazer. Both men have been indicted by the United States on corruption charges.

Warner is on $2.5 million bail to cover eight criminal charges, on which he and 14 people are wanted in the United States in connection with allegations of bribery, money laundering, corruption and wire- fraud conspiracy, arising out of investigations conducted by the US government into operations at FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association).

But according to Warner, his arrest was a plot by the Partnership to silence him in the upcoming general election.

Declaring on May 27 “the gloves are off”, Warner also blamed the Partnership for him spending the night at the Frederick Street prison after he was unable to secure bail.

Since then, Warner has held two news conferences, airing voice recordings directly aimed at Persad-Bissessar and the People's Partnership.

Warner, who first made the claim of a marijuana find at Persad-Bissessar's private Phillipine residence, held a news conference on June 16 to defend his claim, insisting she was out of the country at the time of the discovery and wanted to resign when told of the discovery.

Persad-Bissessar has denied wanting to resign her job as Prime Minister and described Warner as “delusional”.

Warner also threw out the question “Who is Kristyan?” to Persad- Bissessar last Wednesday, at a political meeting in San Fernando.

Warner said: “Kamla, for your sake and the country sake, tell them who is Kristyan. That is all. Tell the country who is Kristyan, Kamla. I go further to tell you to tell Jit Hardeen, a special reserve police (SRP) offi­cer; ask him to tell us who is Kristyan because if she does not and he does not in two weeks' time I will.”

Persad-Bissessar has said Kristyan Gokool is her neighbour and has attended functions at her home and the official residence at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann's.

Investigations by the Express have found Gokool bought a $6 million mansion next door to Persad-Bissessar's private Phillipine residence but has never lived in the house.

Persad-Bissessar has denied knowing Hardeen but said she was informed he was the driver of Ramadharsingh.

PM, Hardeen lash Jack.
By Gail Alexander (Guardian)

Immediate dismissals from Jitnarine Hardeen and the Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

That’s what embattled Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner received yesterday following his latest tapes, alleged to be former minister Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh’s former driver Hardeen doing a wide-ranging “expose” on alleged People’s Partnership intrigue and corruption, including involving the Prime Minister.

During a news conference at the Normandie, St Ann’s, Warner played the tapes, focusing on the Kristyan Gokool matter, again claiming he had to warn T&T about the Prime Minister, since she was “unfit for office.”

“The Prime Minister says Kristyan Gokool is her neighbour I’m saying they are more than neighbourly,” Warner claimed.

However, when contacted on Warner’s tapes later, an angry sounding Hardeen said: “That is not my voice on any tape! It is a total fabrication.

“There will be a response from me on this very soon, That’s all I have to say for now.”

Hardeen added on what action he would take against Warner.

Persad-Bissessar, in an immediate response to Warner’s various claims, also dismissed the allegation, saying last night they are “more delusional claims which my lawyers will deal with.

“He (Warner) has to answer to the US Attorney General and the FBI for his racketeering, money laundering and fraudulent wire transfers, so he seeks to come out of his box with these delusional claims.”

Asked yesterday by reporters if he had any information to verify it was Hardeen on the tapes, Warner said if the need arose for other evidence “they shall be produced.”

Warner said he had given the same tapes to the Integrity Commission since 2013 and the tapes allegedly told of “sleaze, graft, corruption, sexual misconduct and misbehaviour in public office.”

Asked if he had made a complaint to the commission about the PM and Ramadharsingh—on which his claims focussed—Warner said he gave the Integerity Commission the tapes and said “...make your own judgement... I don’t have to make a complaint.” He said he didn’t go to the police as the police may have been compromised.

Warner said after two years nothing had happened and when he checked the commission a year ago, the body said they had to match Hardeen’s voice with the tape through overseas sources.

He complained at length that while the commission had failed to deal with the matter, it wanted to ask him questions and had sought a tribunal to investigate him.

On the alleged “Hardeen tape,” Warner claimed Hardeen detailed allegations in a taped session at Warner’s office in Arouca on August 8, 2013, where the police officer came “of his own volition.”

Warner resigned from Government in April 2013 under fire for alleged corruption after a Concacaf probe.

Playing 17 minutes of an alleged 90-minute tape yesterday, Warner was heard instructing the person to state his name and address.

The person gives Hardeen’s name. Warner is then heard asking the person to tell him about the minister’s “houses, the corruption, apartments, the deals they make, with Danny’s son going through security, tell me everything, tell me everything...”

The person on the tape starts off with allegations about Ramadharsingh, in which Warner’s voice can be heard also interjecting and summarising information.

The voice claimed on one night he was told to go to a nearby hotel to collect someone, as “Dip Centre security wouldn’t let them enter with their private vehicle.”

The person claimed it was a “fair-skinned Indian fella.” They claimed the DC security “saw someone in the backseat and knew I left without anyone.” The voice claimed the security sought the person’s name and it was given.

The person claimed the passenger “said he was the assistant to the PM’s husband, Greg, and he came to pick up some clothes.”

The person on the tape claimed authorisation to enter was given and around 2.30 am someone allegedly came out and said “it was time for us to go home, Kristyan can fix up now...”

Warner alleged to reporters that the Diplomatic Centre sentry diaries were changed to hide this matter.

Warner also said he had heard “they” had contacted Hardeen to swear to an affidavit to say what was on the tapes was false.

He claimed Hardeen subsequently called him three times and he taped all three calls on June 1, June 9 and June 16, 2015.

He played those tapes of the voice, purportedly of Hardeen, in which the caller asked if Warner had (on the platform) asked if “Kristyan” ever spent a night by the PM residence” and saying Warner didn’t want to meet him.

“You know they watching me... they watching me, from the time I enter (the Centre of Excellence) they go lick me up, you know that,” the voice said.

I have more tapes—Jack

After this, he claimed a good friend of the PM sought a meeting with him at the Works Ministry and allegedly accused Warner of bias towards Jusamco and Coosals in getting contracts.

Warner alleged that in 2011 the PM shut down the Ministry of Works’ PURE unit for an audit because of complaints from that friend. He claimed contracts had to be approved by her, “which made things testy” between them and in June 2012 he was transferred to National Security.

Warner claimed there were more tapes and while he would not play them each week, he would decide when prudently and then “more Special Branch officers will have to resign.”

The person taped also alleged a former minister had six houses and he was responsible for making payments, that monies allegedly came from a well known government contractor, including $3 million in four months, and that two named ministry managers were aware of the situation.

The person alleged the government contractor “benefitted from URP programmes, had 52 companies and got 70 per cent of URP and the former minister’s brother became adviser to another minister, whose appointment the former minister knew about before the PM announced it.

The person also claimed a minister’s relative managed a government-run social programme in Sangre Grande.

The person alleged a former minister got a “$2 million kickback” from the Preysal Interchange but this was put in UNC’s accounts as the minister “stole” money from UNC’s 2010 campaign.

The taped voice claimed UNC general secretary Dave Tancoo was told of the situation and he told the PM.

He offered me $.25m to lie.
By Renuka Singh (Guardian).

Hardeen counters Jack’s claim:

Special Reserve Police Officer Jitnarine Hardeen is denying outright that it is his voice heard on a recording played for the media by Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner yesterday. Hardeen issued a legal letter to Warner yesterday threatening action.

“There is no truth in any of these allegations nor the contents of any of your statements, nor the contents of the tape or tapes,” Hardeen said through his lawyer.

Hardeen, who was the retained driver for former minister of social development Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh, yesterday countered Warner’s damning recording of telephone conversations, alleging that Warner in fact offered him some $250,000 to agree that the voice on tape was his.

In a three-page legal letter, Hardeen’s attorney, Dennis Rampersad, picked apart Warner’s tape, denying every bit of the alleged conversation between Hardeen and Warner.

Hardeen, through his lawyer, confirmed he has been in contact with Warner but said it was Warner who “tried to influence him to unlawfully and illegally accept that he is the voice on these tapes and the provider of the information thereon.”

“In fact, you would recall that you offered my client the sum of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to be part of your nefarious and sinister conspiracy to defame innocent persons. My client has consistently refused to be part of any untrue plot to defame innocent persons,” the letter stated.

The letter added that at Warner’s request, Hardeen was interviewed by Frederick John.

“And you are aware that he confirmed officially that he was not the voice on the tape and that the contents of any tape has nothing to do with my client,” the letter stated.

On one of the recordings played by Warner, the voice claims to have collected as much as $3 million as kickbacks for contracts awarded through Ramadharsingh’s former ministry.

“My client denies that he ever picked up any money from anyone for any illicit purposes. He has never received $3,000,000 from anyone or at all,” Hardeen said through his lawyer.

Hardeen also denied any knowledge of a relationship between Kristyan Gokool and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, as alleged on the recordings played by Warner.

“My client is of the view that your statements are maliciously untrue and calculated to bring him into disrepute, odium and contempt among right thinking members of society,” the lawyer said.

“Your statements are calculated to defame my client and wrongfully accuse him of being involved in criminal matters.

“My client confirms that he has no knowledge of what is on the tapes in your possession or that the telephone number that you have mentioned publicly is his or belongs to him,” he added.

Ramadharsingh is also threatening legal action against TV6 for airing snippets of the same tapes played by Warner.

In a statement yesterday, he said, “I listened with amazement at the defamatory statement made on TV6’s television report entitled “The Hardeen Expose” aired on Monday 22nd June, 2015. I have expressed my horror that such an untrue statement was made.

“While I understand the need for free press, it must be a free and responsible press. Also, I have taken note that no one exercised the simple courtesy of a call for a comment on this matter.

“It is remarkable and I hope that they can prove that I was involved in bribing someone or got someone to change a statement or make a statement that was false. I have always supported the truth but it appears that the truth in this matter will emerge in the courts, as clearly the need for financial gain trumps professionalism and responsible journalism.”

Both Ramadharsingh and Hardeen are represented by the same attorney and it was Ramadharsingh’s secretary who issued Hardeen’s legal letter to the media last night.

When the T&T Guardian contacted Hardeen to find out the connection between the two, Hardeen quickly disconnected the call and refused to respond to subsequent attempts to reach him.

In a text exchange with Warner yesterday, the former national security minister called on Hardeen to sue him if any of the information he released was untrue.

“Well let them sue me,” Warner said.

Warner has been given 24 hours to respond to the legal letter.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:58:11 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: June 24, 2015, 05:51:25 AM »
Warner's going to single-handedly reinvigorate the agricultural sector by spewing all that bullsh*t over the country.

Where's Horner when you need him?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2552 on: June 25, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »
He vowed to bring down PP.
By Yvonne Webb (Guardian).

PM offers reason for Jack’s attack...

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says her party’s former chairman, now “arch nemesis,” Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner, cried like a baby when she demanded his letter of resignation in 2013 and instructed him to clear his name. But she asserted she was a strong woman and all of his current lies and fabrications against her would not make her cry.

“I tell you, this woman no cry. This woman will not cry, will never cry,” she said as she boasted of her strength as a woman during a United National Congress cottage meeting in the Oropouche East constituency on Tuesday night. Revealing details previously unknown to the public, Persad-Bissessar said when she demanded Warner’s resignation after the Sir David Simmonds’ Concacaf report, he (Warner) asked for seven more days but she refused.

“He swore he will do everything he could to take down my Government but we have stood strong. We have stood tall and we will continue to stand,” she said. The PM’s statement came hours after Warner released another tape at a press conference in Port-of-Spain, which he claimed allegedly told of “sleaze, graft, corruption, sexual misconduct and misbehaviour in public office” arising out of an alleged incident at the Diplomatic Centre in 2013.

Shrugging off Warner’s allegations once again, the PM said her strength and gender, plus the fact that she fired him, had him angry and delusional. “I formed a government in 2010 and I did my best to ensure that we delivered and when ministers failed they were sacked. I do not apologise for that.

“I am a woman and I am strong. He cannot handle that. The first female prime minister I am of this very great nation and so he resents my gender, he does not respect the office I hold and that is not an insult just to me, it is an insult to the people of Trinidad and Tobago and every woman of Trinidad and Tobago,” she added.

She said he was delusional “because he knows for a fact that he cannot overthrow me and I have refused every of his attempts to control and to influence me.” Saying she was fed up with the “gruesome twosome”—Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley and Warner—Persad-Bissessar said she was ready to fight them both “any time, anywhere, any day and beat them.”

She said she would stand and fight like a mother whose child was in danger for her country. She said she would not play into their hands and be distracted by their lies and allegations.

Kamla Not afraid of attacks

Persad-Bissessar said her focus ahead of the September 7 general election would be on issues, rolling out her Government’s plans, policies and programmes to continue to build a new Trinidad and Tobago. She said the People’s National Movement (PNM) had no plans or programmes, that is why they were fabricating lies and allegations against her Government which had outperformed every single government in the history of T&T.

Taking a cue from Warner, Persad-Bissessar took off the gloves and took aim at her former Cabinet colleague and “his sidekick Mr Rowley”, saying their stories were becoming more bizarre, wild and delusional each week but she will not play out their script. “My lawyers will deal with their lies and fabrications. I will not play into their script because this is now becoming like ‘stay tuned.’

“You remember the series on TV, Peyton Place? They say ‘Stay tuned next week... coming soon to a theatre near you’ is the latest in the episode in the series of a man on the list of the most wanted men in the world,” she added.

She told the audience, which included former finance minister Gerald Yetming and  former Senate president Timothy Hamel-Smith, that Warner, “is like a Jack in a box who is trying to jump out of the box and that box is that he must answer for racketeering, he must answer for wire fraud transfer, he must answer for money laundering and those charges are not by us here, those charges come from every country around the world.”

She had the audience laughing when she said she had one good thing to say about Warner and that was he did not discriminate. “He does not discriminate. He took money from every continent in the world, including right here in the Caribbean... from Haiti,” she said. Saying her Government will win the September 7 election and her seat will be the first to be declared for the UNC, she also took aim at Rowley, saying he was bitter because she fought him with the Emailgate matter and cleared her name.

She called on Rowley to clear the air on the statement attributed to the Laventille PNM candidate Fitzgerald Hinds about “people like alligators in a lagoon.” “You never condemned the Calcutta ship statement in Tobago and now today your members are speaking about alligators in a lagoon. “Well, let me tell you, I planted rice, like many of you, in a lagoon. It doesn’t matter where you come from, what matters is where you are going and where you are,” she added.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2553 on: June 26, 2015, 02:08:38 AM »
Jack on Kamla’s statement: No tears from me
T&T Guardian Reports.

Independent Liberal Party (ILP) political leader Jack Warner says statements made by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar that he cried when he was asked to leave the government in 2013 are false.

Addressing supporters at an ILP cottage meeting in Indian Walk, Moruga, on Wednesday night, Warner said he never cried. While speaking to United National Congress (UNC) supporters in Debe on Tuesday, Persad-Bissessar said Warner cried when asked to leave office in 2013.

“She said I cried. The only time I remember any tears between Kamla and me was when she was crying in Cabinet over Reshmi. She was saying she had been set up,” Warner said.

He was referring to the appointment of Reshmi Ramnarine, a junior technician, to lead the Strategic Services Agency, a covert unit set up in 2011 to monitor criminal activities. Ramnarine was later fired because she was unqualified for the job.

“Cabinet had to be adjourned. If you see ‘snatty’ nose. She was crying. That was the only tears between Kamla and me,” he said. Warner said he volunteered to leave the government and was not asked to do so as Persad-Bissessar previously said.

“I cried? When I came out of Kamla office, I met (Roodal) Moonilal, Suruj (Rambachan) and Chandresh Sharma by the door. I said hi and bye and I left. I said to her I will leave and therefore to say I cried is not true,” he said.

Responding to Persad-Bissessar’s statement’s that he was attacking her because she is a woman, Warner said: “She says she is being attacked because she is a woman, well I never heard about so much foolishness but I know as an old hunter...male manicou, female manicou, same shot...when you in the bush you don’t say that manicou will escape because it’s a female.”

Warner said Persad-Bissessar opened her life up to criticisms when she became Prime Minister. “If anybody is delusional is Kamla not me. My friends know what I drink, when I drink and where and that is all I will say.”

What PM Said

Speaking to United National Congress’ (UNC) supporters in Debe on Tuesday night, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said Warner cried when he was fired from her government in 2013.  “Mr Warner came to the Diplomatic Centre, the same centre he is now maligning with his lies, with a letter of resignation. He gave me the letter which I still have, he was resigning from the government and he cried, he cried that night.

“He knew the David Simmons report was coming out the very day when I was out the country, so he took front with it, came and cried and said ‘Hey if you want this I’ll give it to you, keep it whatever.’”

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2555 on: June 29, 2015, 04:29:41 AM »
Extradition papers delivered to Ministry of Foreign Affairs
By Denyse Renne (Express).

US SENDS FOR JACK

Official documentation requesting the extradition of Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader and former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has been delivered to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Sources told the Express that around midday yesterday the package was dropped off via courier and will be sent to Central Authority head Netram Kowlessar today.

The package, sources say, also gives detailed listings of the alleged offences against Warner, who is wanted on wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering charges.

Contacted yesterday evening, Attorney General Garvin Nicholas said he is unaware that the US Department of Justice had sent the necessary paperwork for the commencement of extradition proceedings.

“I am unaware of that,” Nicholas said.

Kowlessar said: “I don't know. I wasn't in office today (yesterday). I will check when I go in tomorrow (today).”

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran when contacted also said he was unaware if any package had arrived.

Sources told the Express, that extradition proceedings ought to come through diplomatic channels and this would be through Foreign Affairs and then sent to the Central Authority.

It has been a month since a provisional warrant was issued for the arrest of Warner.

Warner is currently on $2.5 million bail after surrendering himself to Fraud Squad officers on May 27 after learning the warrant had been issued for his arrest.

He is being represented by a battery of attorneys, including Fyard Hosein SC, Nyree Alphonso, Rishi Dass and Anil Maharaj, while the State is being represented by Pamela Elder SC, attorneys Jagdeo Singh and Gerald Ramdeen.

Queens Counsel Alan Newman and James Lewis have also been retained by the State and will be appearing alongside the local team on July 9, when the matter next comes up for hearing.

Warner will next appear before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port of Spain Court on July 9.

He is accused of accepting a $10 million bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup. Officials in South Africa have denied that the money was a bribe.

Warner has denied wrongdoing and claimed that the charges are part of a US “witchhunt” meant to punish him for his support of Qatar's 2022 World Cup.

Sources told the Express that had the documentation not arrived by July 9, the matter would have been adjourned to a date on or before July 27, since the State was given 60 days to furnish documentation from the U.S. regarding Warner's extradition.

The 60 days took effect following the provisional warrant being served on Warner.

On June 3, Warner and other FIFA officials were placed on “red notice” by Interpol.

Former executive committee member Nicolas Leoz and corporate executives — Alejandro Burzaco, Hugo and Mariano Jinkis and Jose Margulies, also known as Jose Lazaro, were placed on the notices following a request by law enforcement officials in the United States.

The red notice was issued to all Interpol member countries and is geared towards seeking the location and arrest of wanted persons with a view to extradition or similar lawful action.

Essentially, this means if Warner decides to leave the jurisdiction of T&T and go to another country, law enforcement will be alerted upon his arrival.

With this red notice in effect, it also means that all flight manifestos, train stations, ports — air and sea — and other modes of transportation will be closely monitored.

According to international reports, Lazaro is under house arrest in Paraguay.

Local Interpol sources say the alert is normal when dealing with an investigation of this magnitude and with such high-profile individuals.

The Interpol “red notice” means those named risk arrest anywhere they travel.

Argentinians Burzaco and Hugo Jinkis are accused of paying more than $100 million in bribes for media and commercial rights to football tournaments; and Margulies, a Brazilian broadcast executive.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:08 AM »
Would understand if the following are also under red notice:
Uncle Tim, Rodent, Scampito, Uncle Sad-ramper.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2557 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
It's heerrrrrree.....,.....
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2558 on: June 30, 2015, 01:57:53 AM »
AG: US still to ask for Jack extradition.
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

There are no extradition requests yet for corruption accused Jack Warner, according to the United States Embassy.

“The US Department of Justice has not yet sent any final requests on the Jack Warner extradition request to the Trinidad and Tobago authorities and is still within the 60-day window specified by the treaty for the final request to be delivered,” stated the embassy in a release yesterday.

Attorney General Garvin Nicholas also told the Express his office did not receive any documents yet relative to the extradition.

Based on information received, the Express yesterday reported official documentation requesting the extradition of former FIFA vice-president, corruption accused Warner was delivered to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Warner is currently on $2.5 million bail after surrendering himself to Fraud Squad officers on May 27 after learning the warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Warner will next appear before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port of Spain Court on July 9.

He is accused of accepting a US$10 million bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup, which he has denied.

The US Department of Justice has 60 days from the date of the provisional warrant being served on Warner (May 27) to furnish documents for an extradition request.

Questions sent to Warner yesterday were not answered.

He continues the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) election campaign this week with meetings carded for tomorrow and Thursday.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2559 on: June 30, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
It's not heeeerrrrre.......
Liar, liar pants on fire.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2560 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:07 AM »
I'm not going anywhere.

Bring it on!

Corruption accused Former embattled FIFA Vice President Jack Warner declared last night that he is not going anywhere and if the United States sends for him, he's ready to battle them.

The former FIFA Vice President also questioned why taxpayers money was being used to pay legal fees for a US case against him.

He said the Government should also pay his legal fees as the only person who's doing work pro bono for him is Rekha Ramjit.

Warner, the leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) , was speaking tonight at a cottage meeting in Claxton Bay.

"I ain't running, I ain't hiding , all I say to them is bring it on and when they bring it on it will be a long hot summer," said Warner.

"Jack Warner eh going anywhere, he ain't going anywhere...I'll be here not for five, 10 or 15 years, I will be here for a very long time" said Warner.

"He could take that and carry it to the bank!" added Warner , referring to Attorney General Garvin Nicholas.

Warner noted a US news report which stated that he was charged with wire fraud as $295,000 of FIFA money was wired to him in December 2010.

Warner said if this is what he got after 30 years in FIFA, he's still owed money.

Turning to his extradition matter, Warner said what worries him was that the US has a provisional warrant for him but taxpayers money was being used to put up a case for the US for which they say they have evidence.

He pointed out that an English QC and five local lawyers were retained at taxpayers' expense.

"That for me is patently unfair," said Warner.

He assured that he fears nothing because he believes he has the best legal team and God.

"I sleep very soundly at night...because I have nothing to fear. The Lord is my Shepherd," said Warner.

He said further said that if money mattered to him he would not take a salary of $1 a month, $60 total for five years as the Chaguanas West MP.

He added that he never took a Government loan to purchase a vehicle.

Warner boasted that there was no Cabinet Minister who has been more generous than him.

He said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar was unfit for office as well as her team.

Holding up a copy of the Sunshine newspaper headlined "Devant Playboy" Warner said the front page was posted on Facebook and generated 103,000 hits.

The front page bears the photograph of Food Production Minister Devant Maharaj in an affectionate position with a woman.

The ILP deputy leader Rekha Ramjit also spoke about Warner's legal issues.

However before getting into her speech she declared , "I am Rekha Ramjit and I am not for sale".

Ramjit, an attorney, said that Warner's extradition matter is a long process that will take years.

She said there was never any provisional warrant of arrest for businessmen Ish Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson.

She added that the US extradition request for them came in 2005 and it wasn't until 2012 that the courts ruled that they will not be extradited.

"In this particular issue it will be a long time before this process is complete," said Ramjit.

She noted that on May 26 the provisional warrant of arrest was issued for Warner.

She said this warrant was just a statement of bare charges with no evidence attached.

Ramjit said under the extradition treaty the provisional warrant of arrest is issued if urgent.

"What was the urgency that caused him to execute a provisional warrant without any evidence on a prominent citizen," said Ramjit.

She noted that 35 days have passed and yet to yesterday's date they have not provided that evidence.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »
Jack is very calculated and is turning out to be more pronounced than the Wizard Harry Potter.

He has now hired one of more astute extradition lawyers money can buy.

There is much to be learnt from his antics and how he uses the media while plotting his next move.

Regardless of how one feels about him, we all can learn a thing or two. ;D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:24:22 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »
Jack Warner hires lawyer who represented Myra Hindley
The Guardian (UK).

The former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has hired the lawyer who represented the Moors murderer Myra Hindley in his fight against extradition to the United States.

Edward Fitzgerald QC, who has also represented the controversial Muslim cleric Abu Hamza, has confirmed he is advising Warner and his legal team in Trinidad.

Warner, former head of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, has been indicted by the US justice department on eight counts of football-related corruption and is currently on bail in Trinidad. Among the charges, he is accused of taking a $10m (£6.5m) bribe to vote for South Africa to host the 2010 World Cup.

Significantly, Fitzgerald has also represented the Trinidad businessman Steve Ferguson, who has successfully resisted extradition to the USA for the last 10 years.

Fitzgerald, who has won human rights awards for his cases challenging death sentences, confirmed he was working for Warner but said he could not discuss any details of the case.

Warner’s sons Daryll and Daryan, and his former deputy Chuck Blazer, have all pleaded guilty to related charges among 18 people who have been indicted by US authorities. Seven of them, including Warner’s successor as Concacaf president, Jeffrey Webb, are in custody in Switzerland pending extradition hearings.

Warner, who was forced to resign from Fifa in 2011 after being caught up in a corruption scandal, has insisted he has done nothing wrong. In a statement earlier this month, Warner said: “I have been afforded no due process and I have not even been questioned in this matter. I reiterate that I am innocent of any charges.”

The US embassy in Port of Spain said no final extradition request had been made to the Trinidad and Tobago attorney general.

It said on its Twitter account: “The US Department of Justice has not yet sent any final requests on the Jack Warner extradition request to the T&T authorities."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:26:16 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2563 on: July 05, 2015, 06:19:47 AM »
Jack not leaving T&T soon
Shaliza Hassanali (Guardian)

Embattled Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader and former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner is not leaving T&T anytime soon.

According to former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, SC, Warner could spend between seven and eight years fighting his extradition in court.

He said one thing Warner had going for him was his lawyer Edward Fitzgerald, QC, a leading extradition practitioner for the past 20 years, who has a track record of winning extradition cases worldwide.

Fitzgerald represented Gary McKinnon, a Scottish systems administrator and hacker, who was accused in 2002 of perpetrating the biggest military computer hack of all time. For many years, Fitzgerald represented McKinnon in a judicial review proceedings and drafted the representations to the British Home Secretary which resulted in her withdrawing the order for his client’s extradition.

From mid-July, Maharaj said, he would host a series of public meetings to explain how Warner’s extradition could be tied up in the court system for years and the Government was only fooling citizens with its claim that Warner’s last days in Trinidad were imminent.

Faced with extradition to the US on racketeering, corruption and bribery charges, Warner, 72, at an ILP meeting in Claxton Bay on Tuesday, dared authorities to take him to the US.

Warner, who surrendered himself to Fraud Squad officers on May 27 after learning that a provisional warrant had been issued for his arrest, emphatically stated that he was not leaving T&T “not now, not ever.”

Accused of accepting a $10 million bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup, Warner told supporters, “I’ll be here not for five, ten or 15 years. I will be here for a very long time and they could take that and carry it to the bank! Everyone wants to see Jack leave here. They are pushing for Jack to leave, but up to today they can’t lay a single charge. I ain’t running and hiding. All I can say is bring it on and when they bring it on it will be a long, hot summer.”

Warner’s bold assertion came two days after a report in the Express newspaper that official documentation requesting his extradition had been delivered to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The US Embassy in Port-of-Spain in a release issued last Monday stated that the US Department of Justice had not yet sent any final requests for Warner’s extradition to the T&T authorities.

Extradition proceedings would have to be stayed

On Wednesday, Maharaj said the extradition process did not mean that as soon as a foreign country made a request, the person regarding whom the request was made would immediately be extradited to the requesting country.

Maharaj said first there was a 60-day period for Warner’s extradition papers to be filed in the court.

“When those papers are filed, the court has to listen to submissions as to whether the extradition is within the law. If there is a constitutional issue raised before the magistrate, the magistrate does not have any jurisdiction to deal with constitutional rights, issues or violation of the Constitution.”

Maharaj said Warner, through his attorneys, could then ask the magistrate under Section 14 of the Constitution to refer the matter to the High Court to determine the issue.

“The magistrate will have to refer the matter to the High Court unless the points raised by Warner’s lawyers are frivolous or vexatious.”

When the matter is referred to the High Court, Warner has a right to appeal any decision of the High Court, to the Court of Appeal and Privy Council. “In the meantime, the extradition proceedings would have to be stayed. Warner cannot be extradited,” Maharaj said.

Even if the magistrate refused to refer the matter to the High Court, Maharaj said Warner’s lawyers can apply for judicial review of the magistrate’s decision before the High Court. “The High Court decision in a judicial review, under the Judicial Review Act, can be appealed in the same way as a right [of appeal] to the High Court, Court of Appeal and Privy Council.”

A long drawn-out process

If the matter reaches and finishes in the Privy Council and Warner did not succeed, Maharaj said, “The matter would have to go back to the magistrates court. There, Warner’s lawyers can argue on the evidential aspect of the matter. Based on that evidential aspect any decision of the magistrate can be reviewed on judicial review to the High Court. And from the High Court to the Court of Appeal to the Privy Council.”

In a nutshell, Maharaj said, “This would be a long, drawn-out process, as long as there are legal points to be argued. This legal process can take years, as long as seven to eight years in Trinidad.”

Maharaj said, hence, the reason Warner was not bothered about the extradition.

“No one can’t come just so and take him on a plane to the US. If they do that it would be an abuse of process.” Warner is entitled to due process of law and enjoyment of his constitutional rights in the home country.

Maharaj said it would be a difficult task to extradite Warner since Fitzgerald, along with local attorney Fyard Hosein, SC, would put up a hard fight.

‘Warner doing damage to their image and character’

Meanwhile, Maharaj said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and her Government should not undermine the Constitution and due process of law to extradite Warner who has become a weapon against the Government, doing great damage to their image and character.

On Thursday, Warner, who is on $2.5 million bail, will appear before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port-of-Spain Court when the matter next comes up for hearing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 06, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
Fifa crisis: Concacaf begins path to reform after scandal

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33409296

It is easy to get confused at times by the various acronyms of football's continental confederations.

But for a while now, it has been very clear what Concacaf stands for. And it certainly has not been good governance.

The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football has been at the heart of the corruption crisis that has engulfed Fifa.

And yet, surprising as it may seem to many, the governing body is now hoping to set an example when it comes to reforms.

A brief reminder of Concacaf's summer so far. First its president, Jeffrey Webb, was arrested on corruption charges along with his vice-president Eduardo Li. Together with former Concacaf president Jack Warner, they were among 14 soccer officials and sports-marketing executives charged with paying or accepting more than $150m (£96m) in bribes and kickbacks over more than two decades related to the media and marketing rights for matches in Concacaf competitions.

The FBI raided Concacaf's Miami base, and its general-secretary Enrique Sanz was provisionally banned by Fifa's ethics committee.

Also indicted were Julio Rocha, a Fifa development officer from Nicaragua who had been inducted into Concacaf's Hall of Fame, and Aaron Davidson, the president of the sponsorship rights agency Traffic Sports USA - which worked with Concacaf.

Meanwhile, it was revealed that former Concacaf general-secretary Chuck Blazer had pleaded guilty to several charges related to corruption in 2013, including arranging and agreeing to accept bribes to influence voting for countries hoping to host the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.

With the confederation's reputation lying in tatters, and some of its most senior officials languishing in Zurich jails or suspended, Concacaf turned to the heads of its three biggest member nations to form a 'special committee' - Justino Compean of Mexico, Sunil Gulati of the United States and Victor Montagliani of Canada.

Their task was to take control of day-to-day operations, co-operate with the investigating authorities in the USA and Switzerland, begin an internal investigation, and try to identify a way forward.

And they have now presented the reforms they want Concacaf to implement "to right its ship".

These include:

•independent members on Concacaf's eight-member executive committee (Exco), not affiliated with any football-related activities of any member association
•term limits on all members of the Exco, including the president
•full publication of senior officials' salaries, which must also be approved by the full congress on an annual basis
•full publication of Concacaf's annual financial statements and budget
•a "pre-approved" vendor system for all contracts with Concacaf to prevent fraud
•annual training to Exco members on duties and corporate governance
•appointment of a chief compliance officer with responsibility for overseeing a new compliance programme
•setting up a whistleblower hotline

Although this reform framework has been approved by Concacaf's executive committee, and some measures will be implemented immediately, others (like the introduction of independent Exco members) will require the consent of the full 41-member congress.

But according to Concacaf's special committee: "This framework attempts to address deficiencies in the governance and operations of Concacaf that have put its reputation, finances and mission at risk.

"It is important that Concacaf not just talk about reforms, but implement processes to ensure those reforms have impact and effect greater governance and transparency in order to position Concacaf as a leader among sports organizations in terms of breadth and strength of reforms."

For many, the notion that Concacaf may be in a position to provide leadership just weeks after the crisis began is laughable. After all, the confederation has had plenty of opportunities to reform itself in the past but the cronyism has continued.

Warner, for example, had faced corruption allegations since the 1980s. In 2011, he was accused of attempting to bribe Caribbean delegates with $40,000 (£25,700) each to vote for Fifa presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam. Having replaced Warner, Webb was portrayed as a reformer, a man who would clean up Concacaf. Instead, he now stands accused of continuing the corruption that appears to have become rampant.

It will need time therefore, before Concacaf can convince the world of sport that it can truly be trusted to reform itself. Why - many will ask - has it taken until now to act? The reforming credentials of the Concacaf special committee will certainly be scrutinised given all three men have been involved in Concacaf politics for several years.

And it seems Concacaf had little choice but to clean up its act. There were also reports that the Bank of Nova Scotia warned that it would withhold funds from a major sponsorship deal unless the confederation changed its ways

However, after so many years of damaging allegations, this is at least a sign Concacaf realises something drastic is needed if faith is ever to be restored. One can only imagine just how more advanced the sport would now be in the Americas if some of those in power had spent the money from television and marketing contracts on properly developing the game, rather than allegedly lining their own pockets.

Concacaf, like other football organisations around the world, is desperately in need of new blood. If these measures achieve that, maybe they can work.

Meanwhile, in Zurich, outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter and his audit committee chief Domenico Scala continue to work on their own reform programme. Many critics believe the time has come for Fifa to be told what to do to by an external reform commission, headed up by an internationally respected figure like Kofi Annan.

It will be interesting to see whether Fifa takes note of Concacaf's action and follows suit as it also tries to retain control of its own destiny and repair its battered reputation.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Suspended FIFA official Webb was director of Warner’s company
« Reply #2565 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
Suspended FIFA official Webb was director of Warner’s company
By Simon Evans (Reuters)

Suspended CONCACAF president Jeffrey Webb was a director 10 years ago of a Cayman Islands company controlled by Jack Warner, the former head of the Americas regional soccer body who is facing U.S. corruption charges, a court document shows.

The document links Webb, who is also facing U.S. charges and who pledged to fight corruption when he took over CONCACAF in 2012, to controversial television rights deals that were struck in the region during Warner’s 21 years at the helm of CONCACAF.

Webb had vowed to reform the confederation which governs the sport in North and Central America and the Caribbean following a “cash for votes” scandal involving Warner and Qatari Mohammed Bin Hammam, then president of the Asian Football Confederation

A lawyer for Warner declined to comment on the document. Webb’s lawyer was not immediately reachable.

Webb, who has also been suspended as a vice president of world soccer governing body FIFA, is currently being detained in Switzerland after he was indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) as part of its probe into soccer-related corruption. It is unclear whether he plans to challenge a request from U.S. authorities that he be extradited to New York to face trial.

The DOJ has accused Webb of receiving kickbacks from deals with sports marketing company Traffic Sports, after taking over as CONCACAF president. On Tuesday, CONCACAF and Traffic ended their corporate relationships.

Trinidad and Tobago-based Warner has also been indicted in the DOJ investigation on charges of racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud, and money laundering conspiracy, including taking $10 million (7 million pounds) to influence voting on South Africa to host the 2010 World Cup.

Warner remains in Trinidad but U.S authorities disclosed that his sons Daryan and Darrll reached plea agreements with U.S. authorities.

The 2005 document is an application in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands to restore ‘J and D International’ to the register of companies, names Webb as a director. Webb was president of the Cayman Islands Football Association at that time.

The document has been seen by Reuters, and was first reported by the Cayman Compass newspaper on Wednesday.

The company, also known as JDI, was used by Warner to secure television rights deals for World Cups from FIFA.

Warner has stated that he personally received Caribbean television rights for several World Cups at a knock-down price, in return for electoral support of FIFA president Sepp Blatter and then sold the rights on to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), which is part of CONCACAF.

Warner, who was member of FIFA’s executive committee from 1983, said in a written statement, shortly after he quit all football positions in 2011, that in 1998 he received the World Cup rights for Trinidad and Tobago from FIFA, through Mexican company OTI, for just one dollar.

Warner said he also received, personally, the rights to the 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

Warner denies wrongdoing and has not been charged in connection with those deals.

A 2001 contract between JDI and the CFU seen by Reuters, states the rights were received from German media company Kirchmedia WM Gmbh and that JDI sold them to the CFU for $4.25 million as part of a seven-year deal.

The contract notes that JDI was based in the Cayman Islands in 2001. It is not clear if the company still exists.

Kirchmedia declared itself insolvent in 2002.

Webb had been strongly praised by FIFA President Sepp Blatter and viewed by some as a potential successor as leader of the body.

In his first address, after being elected CONCACAF president in Budapest in 2012, Webb drew applause when he said: “Our past will never be repeated.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 08, 2015, 11:03:50 PM »
How come a certain Jamacian captain EH get caught up in this web?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2567 on: July 09, 2015, 01:50:54 AM »
Warner back in court over Fifa fraud charges.
By Derek Achong (Guardian).

Former Fifa vice-president and current Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner will reappear in the court today for the continuation of his extradition proceedings over 12 fraud charges arising out of a United States investigation into corruption within world football’s governing body.

His appearance before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port-of-Spain Eighth Magistrate’s Court would be his second since he was indicted via a provisional warrant after the US Department of Justice announced in May the results of their investigation into him and 13 of his former colleagues.

The T&T Guardian understands that today’s hearing would be relatively short as sources say the Central Authority Unit of the Office of the Attorney General is yet to receive the formal extradition request from US authorities, which Warner’s legal team will need in order to prepare his defence. A source said the documents are expected to arrive in T&T shortly and would be immediately disclosed to Warner to clear the way for the official start of the proceedings before Ayers-Caesar.

According to a BBC report published last Thursday, Swiss authorities, who arrested seven of Warner’s co-accused in a luxury hotel in Zurich hours before the former government minister surrendered to local police, received their formal requests from the US last Wednesday.

The officials, including former Concacaf president and Fifa vice-president Jeffery Webb, will now have an opportunity to respond to the extradition request before Switzerland’s Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) makes its decision.

Their eventual extradition to the US to face trial is expected to take several months as the officials will be given an opportunity to appeal the FOJ’s decision to Switzerland’s Supreme Court. Warner and his former colleagues face a total of 47 charges for allegedly taking part in a scheme involving the soliciting and collecting of bribes for media and marketing rights for several major international football tournaments.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigation was initiated following allegations of corruption in the bidding process for the Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 World Cups but was eventually widened to include questionable deals spanning over two decades.

Warner, 72, of Cynthia Drive, Five Rivers, Arouca, is accused of 12 charges related to fraud, racketeering and for engaging in illegal wire transfers. The offences are alleged to have taken place in the United States, T&T and other jurisdictions between 1990 and when Warner quit Fifa in June 2011. He is currently on $2.5 million bail.

Warner is being represented by British Queen’s Counsel Edward Fitzgerald, who led the team of lawyers who successfully challenged the extradition of businessmen Ish Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson.

His legal team also includes Keith Scotland, Rishi Dass and Nyree Alfonso. Pamela Elder, SC, Jagdeo Singh, Gerald Ramdeen, Alvin Pariagsingh and head of the Central Authority Netram Kowlessar are representing the US’ interest in the case. British Queen’s Counsel James Lewis has been retained to lead the State’s legal team.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US has until July 27 for Warner request; Wired868 brings extradition to life
« Reply #2568 on: July 09, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
US has until July 27 for Warner request; Wired868 brings extradition to life
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Controversial Jamaat-al-Muslimeen Imam Yasin Abu Bakr will not be the most talked about man on this July 27—the 25th anniversary of Trinidad and Tobago’s attempted coup.
The United States Department of Justice (DOJ), according to the Extradition Act, has 60 days from the issuance of a provisional warrant to Chaguanas West MP and ex-FIFA vice-president Jack Warner to officially present its case for his extradition.
And, coincidentally, those 60 days end on July 27. So, that is when legal parties for Warner and the State will return to the Port of Spain Magistrate’s Court, which is just a stone’s throw away from where Abu Bakr and his men launched their memorable attack on the Parliament.
As if this extradition case needed any more intrigue.
This morning—as the extradition hearing sort of started but really didn’t—was an orientation for all concerned.
It was a scheduled 9 am start but Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar was fashionably late and clocked in at 9.26 am.
Warner, whose fondness of early starts is one of his enduring myths, was already seated outside the court room at around 8 am when Wired868 got there.
Of course, the self-titled “Robin Hood” of Arouca is well aware of the importance of keeping character. Although there is no evidence to suggest that he bribed a few public servants, secretly taped any politicians or paid to send anyone through university while he waited for Ayers-Caesar to turn up.
Inside the Magistrate’s Court, there was no opportunity for Warner to so much as clear his throat, much less release incriminating evidence about any members of the State’s legal term—and we are looking at you here, Gerald Ramdeen.
In court, paid guns—they rather the term ‘attorneys’—prefer to do the shooting, and legal jargon, customs and technicalities are mysterious enough as to ensure that the “do it yourself” phenomena is yet to put lawyers out of work.
“Court room defence techniques for dummies” will have some ground to cover before it becomes nearly as weighty as “a lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client.”
So, Warner was represented by enough attorneys to fill three SUVs while the State’s gang looked just as well resourced.
FIFA money on the one hand, taxpayers’ money on the other.
Two thirds of the viewing gallery inside the court room were actually attorneys who had nothing to do with the case. Perhaps they hoped someone might trip over an adjective and a substitute would be needed. Or, more likely, they were there to learn from the big-hitters.
Thankfully, no fresh faced attorney asked Wayne Sturge for an autograph in the immediate aftermath.
Queen’s Counsel Allan Newman spoke for the State and he is as British as a cup of tea, a grey afternoon and an Enid Blyton book. So British he probably has a porcelain bulldog on his office desk and a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II next his family photos.
Or, if more illumination is needed, imagine Timothy Spall in character as Simon Graham in “The Last Samurai” or Peter Pettigrew in “Harry Potter.”
Newman asked Ayers-Caesar to adjourn the extradition case until August 14.

Read more: http://wired868.com/2015/07/09/us-has-until-july-27-for-warner-request-wired868-brings-extradition-to-life/

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Ramesh said it best...7 years maybe.. Both the state and defence have dream jobs with this case... 7 years of work and  a lot of show boating and nothing moving at all..

Just raking in the dough ....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2570 on: July 12, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »
Jack Paid Himself
By Anika Gumbs (Express).

$$ for salaries deducted from Chaguanas West constituency account into Warner’s private bank account.

THREE cheques totalling just over $0.7 million from a bank account belonging to the Chaguanas West constituency were deposited into a personal and a business account both belonging to corruption-accused Jack Warner.

And while Warner has opted to remain mum until Tuesday, when he will hold a news conference, cheques and bank statements obtained by the Sunday Express show a paper trail of the questionable transactions dating back to 2009 right up to months before Warner resigned as minister of national security in 2013.

It was in the face of a damning Sir David Simmons CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Associations of Football) report of allegations of multi-million-dollar financial mismanagement against him and former CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer that Warner resigned on April 21, 2013.

Two months before his resignation, bank records show on January 10, 2013, a cheque for $250,000 was made payable to Intercommercial Bank Ltd (IBL) from the Chaguanas West constituency Republic Bank account #290457900101 held at Tragarete Road, Port of Spain.

This cheque was deposited into Warner's personal account #373498 at the IBL days later. One month before this, on December 10, 2012, bank records also showed a second cheque for $250,000 was made payable to IBL from the Chaguanas West constituency bank account.

This cheque was also deposited into Warner's personal account at IBL.

Chaguanas West money paid to Warner's company

Bank records further revealed a third cheque valued at $211,448.46 was made payable to Hand to Mouth Ltd, a company in which Warner has a business interest, on October 26, 2012, from the Chaguanas West Republic Bank account.

As reported previously by this newspaper, Warner—who is on $2.5 million bail to cover eight criminal charges for which he is wanted in the United States in connection with allegations of bribery, money laundering, corruption and wire-fraud conspiracy arising out of investigations conducted by the US government into operations at FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association)—allegedly used several private companies and parallel football-related bank accounts to divert tens of millions of dollars.

Political donations and money diverted from several football bodies also flowed through some of Warner's other business entities, including Jamad Ltd , JLM Quality Ltd, Jamad Maintenance Services Ltd, Catch of the D Day, JAW Ltd, JAW Holdings Ltd and LOC Germany 2006 Ltd.

Salary for Warner

Additional cheques showed the bank account of the Chaguanas West constituency was also debited to pay salaries to Warner totalling $136,900.

The ten cheques for $13,960 each are listed as salary payments as follows:

• August 3, 2009 (June salary)

• August 3, 2009 (July salary)

• August 28, 2009

• September 30, 2009

• November 2, 2009

• November 30, 2009

• December 30, 2009

• February 10, 2010

• April 2, 2010

• May 6, 2010

At the time of the payments, Warner was the elected Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West, a seat he has held since 2007.

Only recently Warner repeated that if money mattered to him he would not take a salary of $1 a month, which totals $60 for the last five years.

Warner takes back $18,000 rental fee

And while Warner is on record as boasting money does not matter to him, more cheques show he took back a mere $18,000 from the Chaguanas West constituency bank account as reimbursement for rent.

The rent was for the period January to June 2009 for the constituency office.

Constituency offices and constituency sub-offices are funded by the State.

A budget limit of $30,000 is accessible to MPs to hire staff.

An additional $2,500 is at the disposal of each MP to cover the constituency office costs.

A separate payment of $1,500 is given to cover costs for postage, stationery, supplies and janitorial services, while office equipment is supplied by the Parliament.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2571 on: July 12, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
Yeah Jack, way to go boi. Show them how it's done.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2572 on: July 15, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »
May your future be filled with court proceedings against you, cross-examinations, indictment$, and sentencings.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2573 on: July 19, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »
Jack's Cheques Revealed
$.7m put into Chaguanas West account.
By Anika Gumbs (Guardian).

SEVEN cheques totalling $0.7 million were deposited into the bank account of the Chaguanas West constituency by road paving contractors Lutchmeesingh's Transport and Contractors Ltd and Namalco Construction Services Ltd.

Continued Sunday Express investigations into the questionable transactions have revealed that six of the deposits were made mere months before corruption accused Jack Warner transferred $.7 million from the Chaguanas West constituency account into personal and a business bank accounts, both belonging to him.

The seventh deposit, however, was made on April 30, 2013 some nine days after Warner resigned as minister of national security in the face of a damning Sir David Simmons CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) report of allegations of multi-million-dollar financial mismanagement against him and former CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer.

Evidence of the seven deposits is shown in the following paper trail listed below:

•March 31, 2011-$50,000 (Namalco Ltd)

•August 15, 2012-$42,000 (Lutchmeesingh's Ltd)

•August 17, 2012-$100,000 (Namalco Ltd)

•October 16, 2012-$100,000 (Namalco Ltd)

•December 4, 2012-$200,000 (Namalco Ltd)

•December 29, 2012-$100,000 (Lutchmeesingh's Ltd)

•April 30, 2013-$100,000 (Lutchmeesingh's Ltd)

Lutchmeesingh's Transport and Contractors Ltd was the company that was awarded a contract in 2011 valued at $61,668,510.16 to repair the Tarouba Link Road during Warner's stint as works and infrastructure minister. And records show Namalco Construction Services Ltd was the sub-contractor alongside Brazilian firm Construtora OAS when Warner handed over a $1.5 billion cheque to the National Infrastructure Development Company as part payment for the $7.2 billion highway from Golconda to Point Fortin. Warner has not responded to telephone calls or e-mails sent by the Sunday Express seeking his comment on the deposits made by the contractors.

What Warner said

During a press conference on July 14, Warner is on record as saying that the $.7 million transferred to his private and business accounts was his personal money he used to meet the needs of Chaguanas West constituents.

The bills, Warner said, were usually higher than the funds available in the Chaguanas West bank account and, as a result, he used his private money, returning it when funds went into the constituency coffers.

Warner said: “There were times when money had to be replaced and shifted around accounts.”

He also pointed out the importance of money being repaid to his companies whenever it was used.

Warner's response followed a Sunday Express expose last week that revealed the $0.7 million being transferred from the Chaguanas West account to his personal bank account at Intercommercial Bank Ltd (IBL) and into a business account in the name of Hand to Mouth Ltd, a company in which Warner has a business interest.

Warner is the sole signatory on account #373498 at IBL.

Two cheques valued at $500,000 were made payable from the Chaguanas West constituency Republic Bank account #290457900101 to his IBL personal account one month apart on December 10, 2012 and January 10, 2013.

The third cheque, valued at $211,448.46, was made payable to Hand to Mouth Ltd, on October 26, 2012 from the Chaguanas West Republic Bank account.

Ten cheques valued at $136,900 showed that the bank account of the Chaguanas West constituency was also debited to pay salaries to Warner.

However, Warner said he did not break his vow as the Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West and accepted a salary.

Six cheques also showed that Warner took back $18,000 from the Chaguanas West constituency bank account as reimbursement for rental of the constituency office.

Contractors and contributions

It is not the first time bank records have surfaced showing deposits made to bank accounts from contractors during Warner's tenure as a government minister.

As reported previously by this newspaper, Warner, in 2010 and 2011, wrote to contractors and other business interests asking for money.

Back then, Warner, who held the mega-portfolio of Works and Infrastructure, had requested the money to pay for the ministry's Christmas dinner that was estimated to cost $1.9 million.

Bank statements had showed that more than $9.5 million was deposited into a Royal Bank business account listed in the name of JLM Quality Services Ltd, a company Warner was listed as a director up to October 31, 2007.

Among those making a donation to the event was Jusamco Pavers Ltd, which made a $200,000 deposit.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2574 on: July 19, 2015, 03:53:12 AM »
US case against Warner ready...
Extradition request ‘by Wednesday’
By Camini Marajh (Express).

THE US Department of Justice (DOJ) statement of case against indicted former football jefe Jack Warner is now complete and is expected to be sent to Trinidad by Wednesday, a US law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation has disclosed on condition of strict anonymity.

The source, who is not authorised to discuss the case, told the Sunday Express yesterday that the formal extradition request or “record of case” should arrive in Port of Spain by Wednesday, mere days before the July 27 deadline specified by the treaty for the final request to be made.

Warner was among 14 football officials and marketing executives arrested in a sweeping US$150 million bribery scheme stretching over nearly a quarter of a century on May 27 in a dramatic US crackdown on global corruption in football.

The disgraced former FIFA vice-president and ex-president of CONCACAF, the regional governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, was charged with eight counts of financial crimes in connection with the FIFA corruption case, according to the DOJ indictment which was unsealed in the Eastern District Court in New York in May.

Warner has denied all of the US charges made against him and has promised to put up a long legal battle to US prosecutors' bid to extradite him to New York to face charges of money laundering, wire fraud and racketeering.

The US corruption case against the Independent Liberal Party leader, according to the source, relies on an evidence trail of media contracts and other documents, bank records, e-mail correspondence and the testimony of several co-conspirators who shared in the bribery spoils, including his former close pal-turned-state Confidential Witness No.1 (CW1) American Chuck Blazer, CW2 Jose Hawilla, a Brazilian sports marketing executive whose company Traffic paid Warner tens of millions of US dollars in bribes and his two sons, Daryll and Daryan Warner, who have already pleaded guilty to US corruption charges in exchange for reduced jail time.

Hawilla has also pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy, obstruction of justice and other financial crimes. Another marketing executive, Aaron Davidson, who was head of Traffic group's US division in Miami, is also expected to enter a plea in the FIFA corruption case, according to the source.

Both men are said to have provided key information about Warner's rich decades-long relationship with the global sports and marketing company and its Miami affiliate, Inter/Forever Sports.

The disgraced Traffic executives have reportedly provided US prosecutors with details of the rich media rights deals Warner is alleged to have cut with the Brazilian-headquartered marketing giant, according to the US law enforcement source.

Traffic is said to have paid some US$35 million in kickbacks to Warner and Blazer, the former general secretary of CONCACAF, who helped US agents in the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) build a sprawling multi-jurisdictional corruption case against top officials in FIFA's hierarchy.

In 2011, Blazer secretly tape-recorded his colleagues for the Feds, who have quietly been working the FIFA corruption case until their dramatic swoop down on a luxury hotel in Zurich and arrests of 14 men on May 27. He is said to have provided damning evidence of Warner's involvement in several bribery schemes, including a US$10 million bribe payment made to a Warner-created dummy programme called the African Diaspora Legacy in exchange for giving South Africa the vote to host the 2010 World Cup.

He also provided details of the bribery scheme related to the sale of the Gold Cup rights, a CONCACAF tournament held every two years featuring member associations.

Inter/Forever is said to have paid substantial millions of US dollars in kickbacks to secure the television and marketing rights as well as revenue from the sale of tickets to the tournament starting with the 1996 Gold Cup and continuing for subsequent editions.

Blazer and Hawilla, according to the source, have provided documentary evidence of the parallel contracts Warner signed with Inter/Forever. Payments to Warner and Blazer were made through intermediary accounts used by the Brazilian marketing company to disguise “the source and nature” of the payments, according to the source who is familiar with the case.

One of many such transactions paid by Inter/Forever was done through a company in Uruguay to a Barclays Bank account in the Cayman Islands in the name of Sportvertising Ltd, a Blazer-owned company. In the case of this particular transaction, which was routed through a correspondent bank in New York in March of 1999, Warner's share or half of the US$200K bribe payment was wire transferred a month later from Blazer's Cayman Islands account to a private Warner account at First Citizens Bank.

Inter/Forever also used other third party intermediaries to make its bribe payments to Warner and Blazer, including a Miami law firm which handled some of its legal business, the Sunday Express was told. Other documentary evidence on which the US corruption case hangs, relates to the theft of media rights earnings from the Warner-controlled Caribbean Football Union (CFU).

US prosecutors, according to the unsealed May indictment against Warner, have gone after the former FIFA executive Committee member for several of his more infamous transactions, including the theft of US$750,000 in emergency aid intended for earthquake-ravaged Haiti in 2010. Warner is alleged to have pocketed almost all of the relief money, US$700K to be exact. As reported previously by the Sunday Express, about US$155,000 was sold in US dollar currency trades to the JTA Group and International Shipping Ltd (ISL).

The US indictment against Warner details his corrupt dealings, specifically, allegations of theft of the Centre of Excellence from CONCACAF, the US$1.2 million bribe from Qatari billionaire Mohamed bin Hammam, the cash-for bribes affair which played out at the Hyatt hotel in Port of Spain and the theft of money from the Football Federation of Australia (FFA).

Warner is expected to appear before Chief Magistrate Marcia-Ayers Ceasar on July 27 to answer the US corruption charges and request for his extradition to New York. He has protested his innocence and made clear that he is going to fight the extradition request. He has retained British QC Edward Fitzgerald to lead his defence.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
Jack Warner and the sub judice rule
T&T Express Editorial

Even before the arrest and incarceration of Jack Warner on May 27, 2015, Mr Warner’s perceived and alleged wrongdoings in FIFA occupied headlines in national, regional and international newspapers and electronic media.

Since the arrest, scores of articles, talk shows and news items have been most liberal with matters existing out of Mr Warner’s US indictment for fraud, racketeering and money laundering. As we say in Trinidad and Tobago, every Tom, Dick and Harrilal have “washed their mouth” on Mr Warner’s charges.

As recently as June 21, a prominent investigative journalist in a daily newspaper had this “mouth washing” to say:

“From Switzerland and Qatar to Trinidad and Tobago and the Cayman Islands, a substantial number of those corrupt transactions passed through the local banking system, according to the US Department of Justice…”

And again, “US sources say Warner used an array of tactics to camouflage his alleged theft of football funds including $750,000 US in emergency aid intended for earthquake-devastated Haiti in 2010.”

In the very same article: “another transaction under scrutiny of US prosecutors is the $10 million US bribe payment made to a Warner-created dummy programme called the African Diaspora Legacy in exchange for votes in favour of South Africa hosting the 2010 World Cup.”

Such bold statements of alleged facts. Even “alleged” has been dumped!

The legal principle that one is innocent until proven guilty, a principle enshrined in every civilised society that boasts of the rule of law such as ours, has long been trampled upon and is of no value in T&T, and in particular this case. One wonders if this could have happened in the UK.

But more important is the sub judice rule. Sub judice is Latin for “under judgement” and means that a particular case or matter is “under trial” or being considered by a judge or court. In England and Wales (under the Contempt of Court Act, 1981), and many other jurisdictions in the Commonwealth, it is considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which in some countries is an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process.

Basic legal research will reveal that a substantial risk of serious prejudice can only be treated by a media report when proceedings are active.

In matters of a criminal nature, proceedings become active when there is an arrest, issue of an arrest warrant or a summons. Without a doubt, Mr Warner’s proceedings are active. Only recently the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Wade Mark, stumped Mr Warner from debating his Howai motion when the Speaker declared that the meat of Warner’s motion was engaging the attention of the civil courts (not criminal), and was therefore sub judice.

In England, civil proceedings are active when the hearing date for the trial is arranged, and in Scotland, when the parties’ pleadings have been finalised and the record is closed. Neither happened in the Howai case.

Mr Warner’s defence will no doubt determine whether or not the extradition proceedings in themselves form part of the judicial process that will eventually determine his innocence or guilt and whether or not the volumes of published material create a substantial risk that the course of justice in the proceedings would be, or have already been, seriously impeded or prejudiced. Further, the very media houses, all who have thrown caution to the wind, may unwittingly have committed common law contempt of court.

Common law contempt introduces a fine line between pressing for prosecution, which is acceptable, and influencing public perception of an individual who is about to be prosecuted, which is forbidden.

The late Dana Seetahal SC, writing in the Trinidad Guardian on Sunday June 13, 2004, on the Privy Council judgment in The Independent Publishing Company, The Mirror, Ken Ali and Sharmin Baboolal versus the Attorney General and the DPP (the Mirror contempt case), stated that the Privy Council held “that it was a contempt of court to publish the particular material in this case.

This was because a court has inherent power to protect the due administration of justice. Thus, anything that is done that is prejudicial to such due administration is a contempt of court”.

Surprisingly, no judicial or legal officer, including the Attorney General, has sought to warn the media of the serious legal implication of violating the sub judice rule. Perhaps Mr Warner knows why we may be in for “a long, hot summer”.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2576 on: July 23, 2015, 01:52:49 AM »
AG: Extradition papers are here.

US MOVES ON JACK

The United States government has moved in on corruption-accused Jack Warner.

Attorney General Garvin Nicholas announced at an impromptu news conference yesterday the extradition request for Warner was now in his hands.

Nicholas also assured there will be no political interference in the matter.

Nicholas called a news conference at 6.25 p.m. at the Office of the Attorney General, Cabildo building, Port of Spain, to disclose this information in a brief statement.

“I have this evening received the formal request for the extradition of Mr Warner with the supporting extradition package,” said Nicholas.

“The process is now for me to examine the documentation and consider the evidence and decide whether to issue the authority to process. This is of course a serious and substantial matter and must be given due time and attention,” he added.

Nicholas then answered a number of questions from the media.

Warner, a former FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) vice-president and leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP), has charged on numerous occasions that the Government was conspiring to get him out of this country. He has repeatedly said he has no intention of going anywhere without a fight and it will be a “long, hot summer”.

Nicholas said the legal process will be followed.

No political interference

Asked whether he can assure Warner and citizens there is no political interference in the extradition, given that the September 7 general election was just a few weeks away, Nicholas said, “This matter has absolutely nothing to do with politics... this is an extradition request made by the United States government. We've dealt with several extraditions over the last few months.

“This is also a matter that does not only concern Mr Warner, it concerns 14 persons that the Americans had asked to be extradited to the US to face charges. The State has gone about this and certainly the office of the Attorney General and all the players, whether it be the police, etc, has gone about this as professionally as possible following the letter of the law and offering Mr Warner and his team all due courtesies when possible.”

Asked for a time frame on his consideration of the extradition request, Nicholas said, “I will not put a time frame on my consideration time. The document, as you can see from the bundle, is quite significant and therefore requires due consideration.”

Nicholas said the extradition documents were sent from the United States Department of Justice to the US Embassy in Trinidad, which then sent them to the Foreign Affairs Ministry. Copies were sent to the Attorney General's office and Central Authority.

“It is important to decide whether there is a case to be answered; and if there is a case to be answered, then the authority to proceed will be granted. And if in the Attorney General's discretion, there is not a case or sufficient evidence to proceed, then that is the discretion that will be exercised,” said Nicholas.

He said once a decision is taken, Warner's legal team will be notified and be given the opportunity to peruse all the evidence and a trial date will be set that is convenient to all sides.

Nicholas said there are no US officials in Trinidad on the case and it is in the hands of this country's authorities to deal with the matter.

Battery of lawyers

Warner is being represented by a battery of attorneys, including Fyard Hosein, SC, Nyree Alphonso, Rishi Dass and Anil Maharaj.

He has also retained British QC, Edward Fitzgerald, to lead his defence.

The State's legal team includes Pamela Elder, SC, attorneys Jagdeo Singh and Gerald Ramdeen, along with Alan Newman, QC, and James Lewis.

Questioned on why no State-employed attorneys were working on the case and instead all these lawyers were retained, Nicholas said: “We sought to get the experts in the field in criminal law, judicial review and extradition, and that was the decision made.”

Asked why attorneys were not sought from the Solicitor General's Department, he said, “The Solicitor General's office at the moment is actually quite stretched and this being such a significant matter that required a lot of time, a lot of attention and certainly action within a relatively short period of time. It was thought the best way to go was this way.”

Ramdeen stays

Questioned on whether any consideration was given to removing attorney Gerald Ramdeen from the State's legal team, given the allegations levelled against him with respect to “Prisongate”, Nicholas said, “No, I'm not.” Pressed why, Nicholas said, “I'm not.”

Nicholas, when asked by the media for proof and to show the first page and date of the document to verify it was indeed the extradition request, said: “No, I don't intend to show the document.”

He said he decided to inform the media of the arrival of the extradition request was to prevent the rumour mill from running and also because of the public interest in the case.

Sunday Express exclusive

The Sunday Express exclusively reported this week that Warner's extradition request would reach this country by Wednesday (yesterday), days before the July 27 deadline specified by the extradition treaty for the final request to be made.

Warner was among 14 football officials and marketing executives arrested in a sweeping US$150 million bribery scheme stretching over nearly a quarter of a century on May 27 in a dramatic US crackdown on global corruption in football.

Warner was charged with eight counts of financial crimes in connection with the FIFA corruption case, according to the US Department of Justice indictment, which was unsealed in the Eastern District Court in New York, USA, in May.

Warner has denied all of the charges made against him and has promised to put up a long legal battle to US prosecutors' bid to extradite him to New York to face charges of money laundering, wire fraud and racketeering.

Warner's sons, Daryll and Daryan Warner, have already pleaded guilty to US corruption charges in exchange for reduced jail time.

Jack’s extradition documents arrive.
By Derek Achong (Guardian).

The Office of the Attorney General has finally received the United States’ formal extradition request for former Fifa executive and current Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner.

Attorney General Garvin Nicholas made the announcement at a press conference at his Cabildo Chambers office, St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday evening as he sought to dispel rumours over the arrival of the documents which are required for Warner’s extradition proceedings to commence.

Nicholas said: “The process is now for me to examine the documents and consider the evidence and decide whether to issue the authority to proceed.”

The official start of Warner’s case is dependent on Nicholas’s decision as only when he gives it, the documents on charges the former government minister is facing will be disclosed to his attorneys. His lawyers have already indicated they will need the documents to prepare Warner’s defence in his extradition proceedings.

Asked for a time frame for his decision in light of the fact that Warner is due to reappear before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar for the continuation of his case next Monday, Nicholas said he was in no rush.

“This is of course a serious and substantial matter and must be given due time and attention. I will not put a time frame on my consideration as the documents are very significant and therefore requires due deliberation,” Nicholas said. When asked to respond to Warner’s allegations that his (Nicholas) handling of the extradition was being influenced by politics, Nicholas firmly denied that.

“This matter has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I can say all legal and due process considerations will be taken as we move forward with this matter.

“The Office of the AG and all local players, whether it be the police, have gone about it as professionally as possible to the letter of the law and have offered Mr Warner and his team all due courtesies when possible,” Nicholas said. He also defended his decision to hire a formidable team of private lawyers to represent the US interest in the case instead of relying on internal staff of the Central Authority, which co-ordinates all extradition requests.

The legal team includes British Queen’s Counsel Allan Newman and James Lewis, local Senior Counsel Israel Khan and Pamela Elder and attorneys Jagdeo Singh, Gerald Ramdeen and Alvin Pariagsingh.

“We sought to get the experts in the fields of criminal law, judicial review and extradition. At the moment the Solicitor General’s Office is quite stretched and this being such a significant matter which requires a lot of time and attention and certainly action in a short period of time, it was thought this is the best way to go,” Nicholas said. 

Warner, 72, of Cynthia Drive, Five Rivers, Arouca, is accused of 12 charges related to fraud, racketeering and for engaging in illegal wire transfers. The offences are alleged to have taken place in the United States, T&T and other jurisdictions between 1990 and when Warner quit Fifa in June 2011.

He is one of 14 former executives of world football’s governing body who were indicted on a series of charges after an investigation into corruption in football conducted by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Department of Justice.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:02:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2577 on: July 24, 2015, 01:49:59 AM »
AG: No obligation to alert Warner on extradition papers.

I DON’T OWE JACK

Attorney General Garvin Nicholas said yesterday he will not be baited by Jack Warner's antics and stressed he had no obligation whatsoever to inform Warner the United States had sent extradition papers for him.

Nicholas called a news confe­rence on Wednesday to announce the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) had sent an extradition request for corruption-accused Warner and he (Nicholas) will consider the evidence and decide whether to issue the authority to process the extradition.

Nicholas said he decided to inform the media, given the public interest in Warner's matter.

Warner, a former FIFA (Féd­éra- tion Internationale de Football Associ­ation vice-president and leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP), is facing a number of charges by the US government, such as fraud, money laundering, racketeer­ing and other financial crimes, relating to his tenure at FIFA.

Warner was among 14 football officials and market­ing executives arrested on May 27, in a sweeping US$150 million bribery scheme stretching over nearly a quarter of a century, in a dramatic US crackdown on global corruption in football.

I won't engage with Warner

On Wednesday, the day the extradition papers came into the hands of the AG, Warner, at an ILP meeting in Diego Martin, claimed Nicholas owes him over $100,000 and he (Nicholas) should have had the courtesy to at least inform him the extradition papers were here.

Nicholas told the Express yesterday he has no intention of engaging in a political battle with Warner.

“Jack Warner first claimed that he gave me $15,000 for my 2002 election campaign 13 years ago, to which I chose not to comment as I have stated that I will not engage with Mr Warner. Last night (Wednesday), he increased his claim to $115,000, no doubt, in an attempt to provoke a reaction.

“I however will not be baited. At this time, with so much going on nationally, regionally and internationally, I need to stay focused on the issues that affect the nationals of Trinidad and Tobago. This is not a time to be distracted by political platform rhetoric,” said Nicholas.

“Additionally, I had absolutely no obligation to inform Mr Warner of the arrival of the formal request,” said Nicholas.

The extradition procedure

He said further, the Attor­ney Gen­eral's involvement in this matter is mandated by legal obligation and not political considerations as some may wish to state.

“If I decide not to proceed, then that's technically the end of the matter, if I decide to issue the authority to proceed, then that commences the matter. That is the procedure,” said Nicholas.

He pointed out he has presided over five extradition matters since he was appointed Attorney General in February this year by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, and never once has he engaged with any of the accused.

Nicholas said the court process is technically a preliminary enquiry to determine whether Warner has a case to answer in the United States.

On May 27, the DOJ issued a provisional warrant of arrest for Warner. He has appeared before the courts on two occasions and is due to reappear next Monday.

After he spent a night in jail because of a problem in securing his $2.5 million bail, Warner vowed to expose Persad-Bissessar and her Government.

Since then, he has alleged Ni­cholas, Government Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal and Persad-Bissessar herself, as well as the United National Congress (UNC), were beneficiaries of his money.

The Prime Minister has refuted Warner's claims, saying she has ne­ver received any money from him.

ILP still in election race

Warner, the former member of Parliament for Chaguanas West, has said it will be a 15-year wait to determine this extradition matter. Despite his legal battles and, now, extradition hanging over his head, Warner and the ILP say they remain focused on contesting the September 7 general election and will continue fielding candidates.

Warner has not yet disclosed which seat he intends to fight, but sources say his eyes were on the heated Chaguanas East constituen­cy which was held by Transport Minister Stephen Cadiz.

ILP deputy leader Rekha Ramjit said Warner can contest the election, even as he faces extradition to the US.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2578 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »
If yuh smelllllllllll....what the papers....is.....cooking. Finally, in front of millions of people around the world and in TnT, the papers has comeback to TnT.

Somewhere I read where so called Fixin TnT wants the law enforcement community to probe Warner's money to the AG. Assinine. Why don't they recommend that the $.7m in his account that was meant for Chaguanas West be probed? Or the millions of dollars that's missing from the ttff, concacaf, the cfu, Haiti, and on and on be probed? :yellowcard:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:28:41 AM by King Deese »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 24, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
If yuh smelllllllllll....what the papers....is.....cooking. Finally, in front of millions of people around the world and in TnT, the papers has comeback to TnT.

Somewhere I read where so called Fixin TnT wants the law enforcement community to probe Warner's money to the AG. Assinine. Why don't they recommend that the $.7m in his account that was meant for Chaguanas West be probed? Or the millions of dollars that's missing from the ttff, concacaf, the cfu, Haiti, and on and on be probed? :yellowcard:

uuuuummmm Fixin T&T has commented on Jack and all his issues many, many, many times.......how is it asinine for them to call out the AG?  Jack is alleging that he gave Garvin Nicholas money but Nicholas is now presiding over whether or not Jack should be extradited or not.......conflict of interest, no? 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>