April 25, 2024, 10:39:19 PM

Author Topic: The blanking of Lasana Liburd  (Read 4136 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
The blanking of Lasana Liburd
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:45:08 PM »
By Keith Smith (Trinidad Express)

In truth, I would have had to be out of my mind to have expected the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF), that is to say Jack Warner, to accredit Lasana Liburd to the World Cup Finals. Mr Warner said as much. He was talking backwards at the time but you could glean, if you had the slightest bit of sense, what would be the "forwards":

"Apart from the fact that he has been consistently refused accreditation to the World Cup qualifying games in T&T, who is he?" Mr Warner rhetorically asked in the speech opportunity he mounted on January 3 at the Crowne Plaza before continuing:

"Apart from the fact that he is working against his employers, the CCN Group acquiring the broadcast rights for the World Cup in 2010 who is he? In 1995 I obtained the local TV rights for (the World Cup) for the princely sum of US$1 and sold it to TV6 for US$250,000 which sum went towards the development of football in the T&TFF. The same was done in 1998, 2002 and 2006 with increases in each case. Liburd continues to make this an issue and I can give him only one assurance today and that is I will review the sales of these rights to his employers for the 2010 (World Cup Finals). So again I ask the question: Who is Liburd, what is his claim to fame?"

I don't want to waste the limited space I have here by dwelling on Mr Warner's last Liburd-related question except to say that, as we speak Liburd, through his investigation of the top FIFA official that is Jack, is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, in the sense of being talked about, football correspondents in the world today.

What I want to do, though, is to share with you the sharp craftiness of Jack's strategy. Here he is charging that Liburd "has been consistently refused accreditation to the World Cup qualifying matches in T&T", as if this was Liburd's fault and Mr Warner was not, in fact, the refuser, Lasana having this pesky penchant for not taking Jack at his word, other reporters buying wholesale the line about the money earned from the sales of local TV rights but Liburd demanding:

"Show me the money!" That is to say, let us see the break down on paper, what went where, chart this "development of local football" so that citizens can count, once and for all, how much money we owe Jack and, by the same token how much money Jack owes us, one of the central issues about Jack's continuing kingship over local football being a total absence of transparency, the secrecy of Mr Warner's Simpaul ownership a symptom of a system that leaves room for at least the suspicion of corruption.

So, as I said, in the context of all this I knew that there was a far greater chance of Minshall bringing a Carnival band this year than Liburd getting the World Cup nod from the T&TFF, the local football authority insisting in its very first correspondence on the issue that its decision was final. The question, then, you might want to ask is why, given this knowledge, did I submit his name? And the answer is simple? At 60 years old I have come to know that, in life, nothing should be taken for granted and, whatever my preconceived notions, I wasn't about to prejudge the fairness of or, to put it more bluntly, the extent of T&TFF victimisation.

Always at the back of my professional mind was the thought that my primary responsibility in this regard was to have a CCN presence in place to cover Trinidad and Tobago's historic adventure in FIFA's World Cup Finals on Germany. As a group we submitted four names to cover all our bases - including dropouts for reasons of illness, non-accreditation of this reporter and/or that reporter - or whatever - during the next few months and I was not about to pre-disaccredit Mr Liburd on the basis of my own expectations.

Not when not only, far from doing anything wrong, he had brought honour to the paper by refusing, over all these years, to wilt under the seductive power and, lately, the national popularity of the Jack, the nimble, Jack, the quick and Jack, the FIFA formidable.

(Continued on Monday)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 09:00:35 PM by Tallman »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The blanking of Lasana Liburd
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
Hard luck dey LL. But Stevie Wonder coulda see that coming.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
Bird boy yuh have yuh f**king integrity intact yes. WC 2006 will come and go but yuh integrity after being sold could never be bought back. So all them reporters who sell they sole for the 30 pieces ah silver leave them. We go watch it on cable same way.
God might smile on yuh and yuh might win the lotto and buy yuh own ticket.

Més que un club.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »
Ah hope the man could at least pull out one of the many contacts I am sure he would have made during his stay in Europe.  Hope he could at least use his contacts to get in behind the scenes or change room for at least one game and give we the low down.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:37:27 AM »
Hopefully the fellah with whom he supposedly wrote a book according to JW will pull a few strings and get him access to the games.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:05:22 AM »
Or he might be employed by one of the English newspapers very soon.....?

Hopefully the fellah with whom he supposedly wrote a book according to JW will pull a few strings and get him access to the games.

Andrew Jennings is probably higher up the FIFA blacklist than Liburd...

This is investigative journalism at its best...I hope LL sticks to his guns...

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »
no surprise on this one nah. as a matter of fact, i thought Jack woulda blank the Express outright.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:59:56 AM »
JACK JACK JACK
Jack of all trades
Jack rabbits
Jacks
Jack arses
Don't matter how u put it never scew with Jack

As a trini and dedicated broke soca warriors fan I'm grateful for the decation Jack has put into local football but all well as our manure propelling growth, he is the weed that is stiflling full growth.
 The selfish motives Jack has is choking the life slowly out of our football, his political stride is at footballs cost
Mr LL u just paying the price  have no fear
the price of success is great and some have to die along the way

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »
Lasana, if yuh reading this... doh take it on.  You have BIG things coming.  In the past 3 months your excellent journalistic ability has been recognized worldwide.  Your big break will come.

Besides, isn't this snub just great for writing material?

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »
FIFA jes have they own way of recognizing hard work....so doh take it orn boss. It have tuh be giving dem real pressha tuh do dat....

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
I don't want to waste the limited space I have here by dwelling on Mr Warner's last Liburd-related question except to say that, as we speak Liburd, through his investigation of the top FIFA official that is Jack, is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, in the sense of being talked about, football correspondents in the world today.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  YOU ARE f**kING NUTS! I WON'T EVEN PISS ON THIS WASTE OF SPACE REPORTER...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:06:54 PM by Tallman »

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:10:07 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  YOU ARE f**kING NUTS! I WON'T EVEN PISS ON THIS WASTE OF SPACE REPORTER...

you are a punk marcus.  you must be Jack in code.  yuh imps. 

Lisana conducted world class investigative journalism in those pieces as has been noted by people all over the world.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:07:10 PM by Tallman »

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »

Lasana, if yuh reading this... doh take it on. You have BIG things coming. In the past 3 months your excellent journalistic ability has been recognized worldwide. Your big break will come.

Besides, isn't this snub just great for writing material?

For real Jack just went and give LL alot more motivation if I were LL this would just give me the added boost I needed to bring Jack to his knees.

Warner really didn't know what he did there. That was petty and childish. But again it was Jack  :-\ Why did I expect any different.

I am sure that Lasana Liburd will find his own way to Germany and give a great commentary.

Jack better start shredding and hiding and burning all things incriminating real fast cause if that had happen to me he would have been really sorry cause that was not stopping me from investigating.

If we had alot more journalists like that ppl in high places would not be getting away with corruption.

Good Job Lasana. Don't stop now.

How you know you are doing a good job and a lil too close to the truth?

When the VICE PRESIDENT OF FIFA have to try his best to prevent you from going to the World Cup.

Finally a Journalist in T & T who isn't afraid to find the truth.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:07:42 PM by Tallman »

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 01:21:17 PM »

you are a punk marcus.  you must be Jack in code.  yuh imps. 

Lisana conducted world class investigative journalism in those pieces as has been noted by people all over the world.

HORSE HOW MANY PEOPLE TALKING BOUT THIS CRAP OUTSIDE TRINIDAD, YOU ARE LIKE A FLY CIRCLING A PILE OF HOT SHIT....

YOU THINK FIFA AND DE REST OF THE FOOTBALL WORLD TAKING THIS GUY SERIOUSLY.... THIS IS A BUNCH OF TOY POLITICS...

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »
NICE SO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE GOOGLE.... I THINK YOU FORGOT THE JAMAICAN OBSERVER DOH
I CALL THOSE THINGS ARTICLES...IT NO WHERE CLOSE TO AN EXPOSÉ.... DO YOU REALLY CONSIDER
THOSE THINGS TO BE MAJOR BREAKING NEWS FOR WORLD FOOTBALL COMMUNITY...
SERIOUSLY IF WAYNE ROONEY HAS CONSTIPATION IT WILL GET MORE PRESS THAN THAT... 

DON'T GET BLINDED BY THE LITTLE LIGHT THAT SHINES ON YOU...

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »
Mahcuss, which part ah your name spell warner? ah feel you really is him buh you have ah bout of dyslexia and spell your name wrong..stop wasting we time please!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
Mahcuss, which part ah your name spell warner? ah feel you really is him buh you have ah bout of dyslexia and spell your name wrong..stop wasting we time please!

Big Up!

HA I AM NOT WARNER BREDS, NEVER MEET DE MAN AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL... BUT EVER SINCE WE QUALIFY IS ONE SET A SCANDAL TALK GOING ON...

I JUST SAYING THAT NO ONE REALLY GIVES A DAM ABOUT THIS... AND I WILL DEFEND WHO I WANT TO... I NOT GOING TO STAY HUSH JUST BECAUSE THE MAJORITY SUPPORT LASANA...

BUT TO SAY DE MAN IS A WORLD RECOGNIZED JOURNALIST FOR HIS FIFA INVESTIGATION IS JUST SO INTOLERABLY MYOPIC...

CALL ME BACK WHEN THE BBC INTERVIEWS HIM....

LIKE A FLY CIRCLING A PILE OF HOT SHIT

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hats off to Lasana
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 08:27:36 AM »
Letter to the Trinidad Express

The spoilt child has thrown a tantrum. And the malleable T&TFF has denied accreditation to Lasana Liburd. If there is a greater admission of guilt, I don't know what it is. Hats off once again to the Express and Lasana Liburd.

As a result of the Express series, international newspapers have taken notice, FIFA has been forced into action, E&Y has been hired to ensure that "the spirit of FIFA" has not been breached and the Warner name is dirt in sweet T&T.

Hero to hated in less than two months - what a shame. Mr Warner, FIFA is breathing down your neck, the UNC now counts you as a liability, T&T hates you there is only one course of action: stop these feeble attempts to save face, reject the exclusive Simpaul deal outright, denounce it as a T&TFF mess-up and let Trinbagonians afford go to Germany to support the Soca Warriors!

We've been waiting for this since 1974!

Trinbajan
via email
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »
the LIBURD ruling of 2006
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »
Marckass..haul yuh c**t.

Yuh is ah f**king imps long time.  I calling yuh our fromn de time yuh start tuh post here.

Yuh stick yuh f**king head so far up Jack Warner arse yuh only seeing and talking shit.

Go flush yuh self..yuh pice ah shit!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 07:26:51 PM »
man disappear and the reappear jes like Ben Lion..... ;D Wham, yuh went and pickup yuh tickets from yuh Pongkin vine cuzin Jack or wha!

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
Marckass..haul yuh c**t.

Yuh is ah f**king imps long time.  I calling yuh our fromn de time yuh start tuh post here.

Yuh stick yuh f**king head so far up Jack Warner arse yuh only seeing and talking shit.

Buh wait nah.... who de fuk is you horse.... who de fuk you really is...
you callin me imps long time, so mutha fukin what...
you want everyone to think the same way on dis site or wha..... everyone having the same opinion, thats plain bullshit!
bitch you got to fly above me to shit on me, and trust this you ain't no way close... yuh fuk
and seriously what kinda of a loser are you to be posting as much as you do, get off the computer and get a life you pu55y deprived geek..
and what ever you say back to this just know...... YOU ARE A LOSER

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 02:37:29 PM »
Marckass..haul yuh c**t.

Buh wait nah.... who de f**k is you horse.... who de f**k you really is...
you callin me imps long time, so mutha f**kin what...
you want everyone to think the same way on dis site or wha..... everyone having the same opinion, thats plain bullshit!
bitch you got to fly above me to shit on me, and trust this you ain't no way close... yuh f**k
and seriously what kinda of a loser are you to be posting as much as you do, get off the computer and get a life you pu55y deprived geek..
and what ever you say back to this just know...... YOU ARE A LOSER

hahahahahahaha..I am a loser?  Look at how yuh sucking jack ass...listen fella de Minister ah health sent ah warning dat sticking yuh head so far up warner ass is hazardous tuh yuh health!

flying above you?

steups...if I want tuh shit on you all I have tuh do is stoop down...no flying involved in shitting on or in ah shit pot!
haul yuh nasty ass.

I could afford tuh post all day..surf all day if I want.

Go back tuh scraping fart off ah jack warner jokey shorts yuh Bullah.

1]; } ?>