March 28, 2024, 10:28:28 AM

Author Topic: Sean de Silva Thread  (Read 47399 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusive interview with U-15 national player, Sean de Silva
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
This player has good potential. At the moment he lacks the physical requirements, but that will come with time and concentrated work. His game is based on intelligence and that is good. Technically he is on the right track and I only hope he goes on to be a T&T stallwarth
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

truetrini

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »
Nice interview.  Arrow why de hell yuh so damn wutless?

Offline morgz

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »
Great job SM  :beermug:
and also Sean keep it up size doh matter ask robinho
most times it allows players to be more technical in their approach
you're one to watch for hope more local players adopt this mentality and drive
ah think BAGO players usually come to trini on weekends and fall into a zone cud be wrong doh qoute me

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
In an earlier post I said that size will be against him. I should have said ..could..
But size does play a factor according to the type of player you are. Yes, he will haVEto become more technical but to compare him to Owen, Baggio and Robinho is not to know the player in question.
Owen is blessed with real speed, so it allows him to just blow past people. Robinho is alos prety quick and is a great dribbler and therefore more elusive.. And Baggio is just Baggio. While Sean is not slow he is not blessed with great speed, nor is he a great dribbler. He will have to become phycically stronger and with hard work I have know doubt that he will become stronger and at the same time he will increase his technical prowess.
I am convinced that the boy has a great future in front of him.

Offline Guapo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »
Anyone have any real information about La Foucade Soccer Clinic...............Is Dion La Foucade any good as a coach? Ah interested in taking ah youth team back to Trinidad to play some games................It would be interesting to see meh US youths (with work ethic and tactical discipline) would match-up with the flair and skill of the youths home. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »
He is a good youth coach. His players will always be technically proficient.
His players come from a more middle and upper class grouping.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »
Yeh coach Dion is a very good coach

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »
yeh you should bring your team     just PM me if you want info(contact number so on)

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 01:12:57 AM »
Just found this thread, nice interview. I have known Sean for a few years through squash which he used to play fairly regularly before getting serious into football. One thing this interview doesn't convey is he's a real fighter. His personality makes him push himself to the extremes to achieve his goals. If he continues to be serious about football (and he has the talent), T&T has a lot of things to look forward to from this youth, because I know he won't give up until he makes it big. He's very humble about himself as well, many positives going for him.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 01:14:30 AM by R45 »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
Just found this thread, nice interview. I have known Sean for a few years through squash which he used to play fairly regularly before getting serious into football. One thing this interview doesn't convey is he's a real fighter. His personality makes him push himself to the extremes to achieve his goals. If he continues to be serious about football (and he has the talent), T&T has a lot of things to look forward to from this youth, because I know he won't give up until he makes it big. He's very humble about himself as well, many positives going for him.

squash  :rotfl: :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »
Foucade, I believe was in charge of the U 16 team a few yrs back.

He dropped Warner's son. Then lo and behold a week or so later Foucade got dropped as Coach. And the new Coach brought back some "dropped" players including the young Warner.

Corneal start to make excuse for Jack, saying that tournament coming up, and maybe Fouc. cah handle the job...well Foucade geh vex and show up with all he credentials at the newspapers.

He tell dem..."ah drop a man son. I get fired, and the man son get repick. It eh hard to figure out."

Now, I'm pretty sure this was Foucade, if ah just type all dis andit wasn't Fouc. ah go feel like a real ass. :)

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2006, 10:21:23 PM »
yeah da was him lol
warner is sum rel dramas oui

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
People like to fight down La Foucade but the man producing players like this yute so he has to know what he's doing. I'm happy that now he is more closely affiliated with youth national teams. Da Silva looks to be a natural midfielder with great talent. He backing the wrong side though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sean De Silva ponders SSFL action.
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 05:52:46 AM »
U-17 midfielder ponders College action.
By: Shaun Fuentes

While there continues to be ongoing debate over the status of National Under 17 players in the Secondary Schools Football League, midfielder Sean De Silva has confessed that he and his teammates would have preferred to remain together as a national team but they shall now make the best of the situation and enjoy the 2006 season with their various schools.
One thing on their minds though is the possibility of injury as neither of them wishes to miss the chance of playing in next April’s CONCACAF Final qualifying round towards the Korea 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship. And while there may be the easy feeling that the tournament is seven months away, even the some weeks on the sidelines could be detrimental to the player’s readiness.
Following the end of the recent CFU Under 16 Youth Cup in which T&T finished second in the Caribbean, SSFL officials stated through the media that they would not allow national players to sit out the season on the request of National Under 16 team coach Anton Corneal in order to undergo full uninterrupted preparations. But with the League into its second season, the players are all representing their teams and De Silva says while they are happy to be “playing ball” they also realized that a chance to get a national team as best ready is not so possible anymore.
“Obviously by not playing in the Colleges League meant that the team would have been training more and we would have had more time to work towards a goal whether it be getting bigger, stronger as individuals  and technically as a team as was the initial goal of the coach,” De Silva told TTFF Media on the weekend.
“I think all of the players would not have mind having to sit out the League  because they knew it would be better for them and better for the country. No one really had  a problem not playing Colleges league this year even though everyone is happy that they can go and play in the league now  and the college coaches are obviously happy,” he added.
And as continues to be a plague among local youngsters, the chance of becoming a big attraction and becoming complacent during the competition remains a possibility, even though De Silva believes Corneal would be able to get the players back on the ground at the end of the season. And what about missing out on overseas College moves as was a fear expressed locally? Well De Silva is well aware that playing  for a national team presents a better opportunity for scouting and scholarship gains.
“It was a worry how it would end up for us if any of the boys would peak in time for the tournament next year seeing that we are not together for the full amount of time.  The national coaches wanted to go  on special programmes because the level at CONCACAF is  much higher than in the Colleges League. Coach Anton wanted us better prepared and involved in strength programmes and playing foreign matches and hopefully we can still get this done over a good time later in the year.
“Mentally I think most of our players have our heads on, I don’t think doing well in the League will get to our heads. Personally I know coach Anton will have them back down to earth. They will know it’s not about them being a player but rather the team.
“The coach assessed all of us after the tournament and we know what we have to work on. My biggest factor is size obviously and we all know our weak areas. But with time I think I will definitely benefit from working with the coach and his assistants before the tournament,” the promising St Mary’s College midfielder ended.
The TTFF and SSFL is expected to meet on the matter next week as decisions on the best format for the preparation of the Under 17 players are set to be discussed. The TTFF maintains that it does not intend to create any further conflict on the matter.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:54:49 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Sean De Silva ponders SSFL action.
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2006, 07:04:22 AM »

“The coach assessed all of us after the tournament and we know what we have to work on. My biggest factor is size obviously and we all know our weak areas. But with time I think I will definitely benefit from working with the coach and his assistants before the tournament,” the promising St Mary’s College midfielder ended.
The TTFF and SSFL is expected to meet on the matter next week as decisions on the best format for the preparation of the Under 17 players are set to be discussed. The TTFF maintains that it does not intend to create any further conflict on the matter.

How do you work on your size ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2006, 07:09:25 AM »
Lift some iron and get strong

Latapy is a short midfielder but I doubt most fellahs could push him off ah ball easy so...........provided they could actually catch him that is  ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 07:29:47 AM »

Latapy is a short midfielder but I doubt most fellahs could push him off ah ball easy so...........provided they could actually catch him that is  ;)
Strength, not size ;D. Actually his size could be a big asset :-\
Live large and prosper!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2006, 07:44:40 AM »
The youte spoke well. It would have been good if they had been able to gel together in a training camp rather than the SSFL.

As for getting stronger (via, lifting weights), don't necessarily mean that you would be able to body players off the ball easier or burst pass a defender (even though you did not necessarily say that).
Simple push-ups, pull-up, plyometrics and some lounges on a regular basic on your own, can give you most of the power and strength that you need for the game. However, there are many other aspects of your game that can be enhanced by lifting. As a former player and now involved in coaching, I am not a fan of having players lift at a tender age (who are still developing physically).

Getting back on track though, I hope the team can get together as soon as possible. Or maybe, as soon as a team get knocks out maybe 1 by 1 they can start making their way into camp.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »
Now I know the youth is a good player.

But the Under 17 games and St marys games I see him play in....he ent look special. In fact he looking poor. Against Trinity, the man was a cone on the field.

Also I seeing this with the Fatima players......they not looking any different or special amongst their peers.

Also they playing girly and have a kinda attitude. Is only Knox showing some fight and spirit.

It seems the youths taste Intl ball and SSFL not good enough for dem....but the reality is they not handling it in SSFL and looking ordinary.

Its a kinda rough scene, to play SSFL, train for TT and have school work to contend with and studies. Plus them lil fellas have girls too and probably burstin so that addin to the dilema.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »
Now I know the youth is a good player.

But the Under 17 games and St marys games I see him play in....he ent look special. In fact he looking poor. Against Trinity, the man was a cone on the field.

Also I seeing this with the Fatima players......they not looking any different or special amongst their peers.

Also they playing girly and have a kinda attitude. Is only Knox showing some fight and spirit.

It seems the youths taste Intl ball and SSFL not good enough for dem....but the reality is they not handling it in SSFL and looking ordinary.

Its a kinda rough scene, to play SSFL, train for TT and have school work to contend with and studies. Plus them lil fellas have girls too and probably burstin so that addin to the dilema.

Touches..they probably not looking special because they don't want to get hurt

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 08:59:57 AM »

He needs increased strength and that often comes with increased muscle mass, from strength training. Hard to see how a thin youth will get stronger without adding some size to his frame. Being short can be a benefit, but he will need to bulk up to continue playing at a high level through the age groups and on to senior level...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 09:11:26 AM »
[

Touches..they probably not looking special because they don't want to get hurt

Well boss, dat bring ah whole different mindset into the equation

Cause if man like yorke, latas, edwards etc did have the same mentality....then SSFL woulda suffer

Dem fellahs use to play 100% for they school, so if the new generation already have the starboy mentality  "me eh hadda play hard for school, cause ah make de national squad"...this elite camp thing already causin problems

Keep in mind I'm not pickin on this Da Silva fellah...cause that was simply touches opinion of how he played and fihlos opinion of what he think the reason is

Mybe de fellah jus had ah game or two where he was off his regular form
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »

He needs increased strength and that often comes with increased muscle mass, from strength training. Hard to see how a thin youth will get stronger without adding some size to his frame. Being short can be a benefit, but he will need to bulk up to continue playing at a high level through the age groups and on to senior level...

Supervised functional fitness training for football should be the goal of a conditioning program.  He's not trying out for the NFL!  Yes strength is a factor but so are agility, quickness and power endurance. Hopefully he's on  a program that  is specifically designed to meet his needs as a footballer and not some random Joe Weider bodybuilder nonsense.....
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 09:27:16 AM »

Supervised functional fitness training for football should be the goal of a conditioning program.  He's not trying out for the NFL!  Yes strength is a factor but so are agility, quickness and power endurance. Hopefully he's on  a program that  is specifically designed to meet his needs as a footballer and not some random Joe Weider bodybuilder nonsense.....

I agree. Cosign.

A lot of people in T&T ent have ah clue as to proper nutrition and fitness.  Ah remember when N. Blackman got hurt in the accident and he end up losing weight. He went from like ah solid 180 to 160. He say he going to eat good and get back his weight...well that was all well and good. But the problem was he ended up gaining more and weighed about 210lbs (unfortunately not muscle). 

If he had proper nutritional advice he would have probably made better selections but at the same time...he survived a terrible accident and is fortunate to be among the living.

Hope this youth (Sean) doh think he could eat macaronni pie, doubles and roti then pump iron and swell up.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »
well all the pundits, experts and coaches gave their opinions, but now this  is an intersting twist wherebye a player is voicing his/team opinion(s).
"to play or not to play, that is the question...... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
On the size issue, mass on the lower body is better than upper body for football.   Lower centre of gravity and strength to push off with your legs when men leanin against yuh is a great thing for your game.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »
Strength training improves endurance, quickness, coordination etc and helps prevent injuries. That more than size is what he needs. ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:42:57 AM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 11:12:18 AM »
Boy times have really changed in the great old T&T,i agree and certainly like some of the views expressed here,when you look at the average size of T&T Footballers we are generally small guys,look at the best players we have/had and see for yourself.

The problem we have today is that our players don't have the discipline to train on their own anymore,it's like in the US it must have a Coach for players to practice(for insurance reasons),i can remember the Sand track,Hollows,Train line,Flag staff hill (Cocorite),Look out,over the hill to Maracas from Santa Cruz,our Beaches,i can go on and on with the many places we used the enhance and gain our strength and fitness.

Why the Defence Force did well in the past besides our ability to play the game it was our fitness,i don't know if other teams did but we used weights and it was because we had access to it,how many teams/players have access to a gym?As a PTI in the DF we were responsible for the fitness of almost every national Football team in the country,i worked with that U16 team with Latapy,Marcelle,Rocke etc etc i used weights but just the Bar,i know George Medina used weights with the Strike Squad but had a few sessions on the Beach(Maracas),the year San Juan did well i did most of their training over the Hills to Maracas.      

Sometimes i want to know what a national team really suppose to do for players,i'm trying to put together a list here,make sure they eat well,put on size and get fit,a Camp where they can train all day at the same time be educated,transportation/out of pocket money,make sure they sleep when the night comes etc etc these are just a few that came to mind.A question if you all don't mind me asking is what are Parents suppose to do?

Any player in that kids position would say the same thing,he has to support what his Coaches are saying because you know what,in T&T your opinion does not count and you can be gepodized for what ever you say,he has to be carefull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 11:18:26 AM »
In reply to Coop's
Would you say that IN GENERAL, the average professional footballer today is a fitter individual than the average professional footballer in your day?

When I say professional footballer, I don't NECESSARILY mean someone who gets paid to play football, but rather one who plays the game at a national or first division level.

For example.....would you say that Warren Archibald was fitter than Carlos Edwards?

Would you say that Pele was fitter than Ronaldinho?

Would you say that the game as it is played today, especially at the highest levels (to which we allegedly aspire), is played at a much faster pace and requires much more stamina than that of yesteryear?

Thanks and Respect as always.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 11:53:40 AM »
In reply to Coop's
Would you say that IN GENERAL, the average professional footballer today is a fitter individual than the average professional footballer in your day?

When I say professional footballer, I don't NECESSARILY mean someone who gets paid to play football, but rather one who plays the game at a national or first division level.

For example.....would you say that Warren Archibald was fitter than Carlos Edwards?

Would you say that Pele was fitter than Ronaldinho?

Would you say that the game as it is played today, especially at the highest levels (to which we allegedly aspire), is played at a much faster pace and requires much more stamina than that of yesteryear?

Thanks and Respect as always.
        First i want to say i'm totally with you on this,i was just trying to show ppl today how we got bye in the past and still did well.
         On question (1) Yes
                           (2) May be
                           (3) No
                           (4) Definitely

1]; } ?>