April 20, 2024, 05:48:12 AM

Author Topic: U.S. has the look of America’s team (2 Trinis involved).  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
U.S. has the look of America’s team (2 Trinis involved).
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:11:57 AM »
U.S. has the look of America’s team.
By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

IRENE, South Africa – Tim Howard can’t exactly recall which game it was, but he remembers the moment he listened to the national anthem and realized he played for America’s team.

“I looked down the line and it struck me,” Howard said. “We are about as diverse and representative as it gets. It made me pretty proud – proud of being an American and proud of our team.”

Despite the best efforts of Howard and his teammates at this World Cup, the U.S. may never become a soccer-mad nation. But when an expected record soccer viewing audience tunes in for Wednesday’s do-or-die Group C showdown with Algeria, it will cheer on a team that represents its country in far more ways than just on the field of play.

Cultural diversity, that catch-all phrase so often used to sum up America’s spectrum of influences, courses throughout this group. The collection of players with various racial backgrounds has been molded by head coach Bob Bradley into one of the tightest-knit teams here.

The U.S. squad includes players of Caucasian, African-American, Caribbean, Jewish, Hungarian, British and South American descent. And it would likely have had a Chinese-American if not for Brian Ching being unable to shake off a troublesome injury.

More than any other sport, soccer’s figurehead side in the USA truly reflects the country it stands for. And it provides yet another reason why this is a team the nation should get behind as it bids to claim its place among the world’s elite.

“This is a story that doesn’t get talked about a whole lot,” said U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, who was born in India. “But it is a good thing and we know that if we can tap into America’s diversity it would be a very positive thing.

“This is one of the special things about soccer. It is a game that can be played by everyone. It is very international and multicultural.”

The immediate goal for the Americans is qualifying for the second round, a target that likely requires a victory over Algeria in Pretoria, although a draw may be enough if England fails to beat Slovenia. Progression to the round of 16 – and further – would be another boost for the game’s popularity back home.

The issue of ethnicity is not one that is raised regularly during the long days that team members spend in one another’s company. Yet it is one that many see as a badge of honor.

U.S. team’s ethnic backgrounds

Goalkeepers
Brad Guzan Caucasian
Marcus Hahnemann Caucasian
Tim Howard African-American, Hungarian

Defenders
Carlos Bocanegra Caucasian, Mexican-American
Jonathan Bornstein  Jewish-American
Steve Cherundolo  Caucasian
Jay DeMerit  Caucasian
Clarence Goodson  Caucasian
Oguchi Onyewu African-American
Jonathan Spector Jewish-American

Midfielders
DaMarcus Beasley African-American
Michael Bradley  Caucasian
Ricardo Clark Caribbean-American (Trinidad & Tobago)
Clint Dempsey  Caucasian
Landon Donovan Caucasian
Maurice Edu African-American
Benny Feilhaber Jewish (born in Brazil)
Stuart Holden Caucasian (born in Scotland)
Jose Francisco Torres Mexican-American

Forwards
Jozy Altidore  Caribbean-American (Haiti)
Edson Buddle Caribbean-American (Jamaica)
Robbie Findley Caribbean-American (Trinidad & Tobago)
Herculez Gomez  Mexican-American

“It is something that makes us stand out,” said Jozy Altidore, who, like fellow striker Edson Buddle is Caribbean-American. “We have players who come from every kind of background and heritage. It is nice for us all to be proud of our heritage and proud to play for our country.

“I don’t think there are many squads that are closer than we are and that is what America is all about: people from all backgrounds getting along together.”

Altidore’s family hails from Haiti, and he recently traveled to the Caribbean nation to promote awareness following the devastating earthquake that left an estimated one million people homeless.

The fathers of Robbie Findley and Ricardo Clark came from Trinidad and Tobago. Oguchi Onyewu, Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley are all African-American. Howard, who will again start in goal on Wednesday, has an African-American father and a Hungarian mother. Jonathan Bornstein and Benny Feilhaber are both Jewish. Feilhaber, born in Brazil, and Stuart Holden, who lived in Scotland until he was 10, are the only naturalized Americans on the squad.

Jose Francisco Torres and Herculez Gomez are both Mexican-Americans who star for clubs in the Mexican Primera Division. Torres opted to play for the U.S. when he could have chosen Mexico.

“There are so many Mexicans in the USA and it is nice for me to represent them,” Torres said. “The Hispanic community has so much passion for soccer and it is great to be part of this.

Soccer is the world’s game, but few teams have as much international flavor as the U.S., something that Gulati insists will only diversify further over time.

“This is just one group of players,” Gulati said. “But yes, if you take a look at this team, it is a pretty good snapshot of America.”
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:42:09 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. has the look of America’s team (2 Trinis involved).
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:42 AM »
i don't know if Ricardo Clark has his fathers last name or not but we generally spell Clark with an e Clarke.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
That team makeup will give Rednecks a massive headache :beermug:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
That team makeup will give Rednecks a massive headache :beermug:

Why u think they doh like "soccer" in the first place? It's not american. The rednecks want those immigrants to keep playing that "sissy" sport and leave the Nascar and Hockey for the "real" americans
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »
and sum f**kers hate this team because we choose to drive 2 hrs to the oval for a November 19th game?  This Team have my full support . PPL do not know what it is to grow up in the USA and choose This sport we call football over Basket ball, Hockey, tennis, rounders and all the other faggot sports white americans claim to have started.
war
Go USA put tears innah dem freeking haters eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
There are no Native Americans (American Indians) on that team so ofcourse they're all of foreign heritage.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
I think that is very reason why "Americans" doh like the sport, they think it's a "foreign" thing. So that might not be a positive for the "typical" American fan.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:20 PM »
Americans think all foreigners are Communists,Americans all have a little J.E Hoover in them.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
,Americans all have a little J.E Hoover in them.

They like to wear tight dresses?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

yeah, whey dah commercial gone with the lady vaccuming with one (Hoover) ?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
Don't hate the US, instead we need to start learning from them. The one thing we fail to get in our game is that fighting spirit they have and a never give up attitude. The US don't play a pretty game but they get the runs when it's needed the most
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:48:50 PM by grskywalker »

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
USA does talk to much shit about dis game.. they jus doh like it, so if yuh doh like, kick yuh ass in it....

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »

Now tell me what does this have to do with Football,allyu does just hate for no reason,the US have proven time and time again that they are a force to be reconed with,you all are finding every reason to discredit them eg They are a shit side,the MLS and Colleges league in the US is not good for development yet all US players came from there,Donavan should go Europe but he is the best thing in concacaf and outshines any player he is up against internationally,Findley made the best decision careerwise,what does T&T has to offer a Footballer,playing for T&T has to be a last resort for any player.
        Allyu hate the US/Mexico and look at where they are,they bring credibility and respct to the region,all we doing is talking a set of crap while Football in T&T is being destroyed and blaming JW for it,what's your contributions to Football in T&T...get rid of JW/TTFF,Lincoln Phillips,Maturana,the Corneals,Latas not far behind etc etc. Ent Jones better than Donavan? :rotfl:

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »

Now tell me what does this have to do with Football,allyu does just hate for no reason,the US have proven time and time again that they are a force to be reconed with,you all are finding every reason to discredit them eg They are a shit side,the MLS and Colleges league in the US is not good for development yet all US players came from there,Donavan should go Europe but he is the best thing in concacaf and outshines any player he is up against internationally,Findley made the best decision careerwise,what does T&T has to offer a Footballer,playing for T&T has to be a last resort for any player.
        Allyu hate the US/Mexico and look at where they are,they bring credibility and respct to the region,all we doing is talking a set of crap while Football in T&T is being destroyed and blaming JW for it,what's your contributions to Football in T&T...get rid of JW/TTFF,Lincoln Phillips,Maturana,the Corneals,Latas not far behind etc etc. Ent Jones better than Donavan? :rotfl:

Well said coops......

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »

:thumbsup: :salute: :applause:
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »

Now tell me what does this have to do with Football...

J. Edgar Hoover reportedly liked to dress in women's clothes.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
       Now tell me what does this have to do with Football,allyu does just hate for no reason,
Having lived here my whole life and put up with the so called "supporters" of the US team, I have plenty of reasons to hate them (mainly nearly every single one of those "supporters" I have come across).  I blindly supported the US in '98 and '02 much like most people in the US do every 4 years but when I actually started following football/soccer after the '02 World Cup my eyes were opened on the average player and "fan" here.  The T&T game down in Bridgeview was the icing on the cake for my hatred.

By the way, from all the evidence I've seen, those two "Trinis involved" are about as Trini as I am
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:40:38 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
WE NEED TO GET A US COACH!!

LOOK TROUBLE START

1]; } ?>