April 24, 2024, 12:43:45 PM

Author Topic: Much ado about Freddy  (Read 37002 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu to sign with Benfica
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »
He's gone back to the States to take care of a few things and will return to Lisbon this weekend to resume training on Monday.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2007, 08:40:51 AM »

Good move for  Adu.   With the hope of cashing in on another star, Nike helped to raise the level of expectation and set the bar really high for Freddy.   Being away at Benfica would not only help him develop, it might also  help to reset the level of expectation.
Unreasonably high at that.  The fact that MLS made him a 15-year old millionaire didn't help either.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
Adu interviewed on Benfica move

On Wednesday night SI.com snagged the first interview with Freddy Adu since the 18-year-old U.S. attacking midfielder signed a five-year contract with the Portuguese powerhouse Benfica.

Adu is coming off a standout performance at the Under-20 World Cup, and his move to European soccer ends a three-and-a-half year MLS career with D.C. United and Real Salt Lake that was marked by insanely high expectations when he signed with the league at 14, occasional highlight-reel moments and (let's be honest) a fair amount of frustration by both Adu and his MLS coaches.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
the deal for freddy is that benfice pays 2 million for freddy now but when freddy goes to a bigger club for big big money the mls getting a good chunk of that transfer. mls is a business, no way they giving freddy for just 2 million.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2007, 07:21:46 PM »
Adu looking to play "natural position" with Benfica

Freddy Adu's off to Europe later this week, still the center of attention and ready to be in the center of the field.

"I can't wait to get started," said Adu, who's moving from Real Salt Lake to 31-time Portuguese champion Benfica for a $2 million transfer fee. "Coach made it clear that I'll be a pretty big part. If they're going to spend that kind of money on someone, they're going to showcase them."

To Adu, that means allowing him to play his natural position, the central attacking midfielder. That's the position that earned him praise and attention as a youth, interest from Italy's Inter Milan at age 10 and an early call to the U.S. under-17 national team.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »
I am glad to see the boy (or man, pending bone density scan results :devil:) finally go to something close to a league (since so many of you dont "rate" Portuguese football at the League level....I still dunno why) where his kinda talent belongs.  I ain't exactly a big fan of Freddy himself, the path his Mother chose for him or the way that mls msl misled and nike exploited the young fella and I really think he has a whole lot of learning to catch up on.  But I truly admire his ability and his drive and courage to go on to bigger challenges.   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2007, 07:29:34 AM »
I ain't exactly a big fan of Freddy himself, the path his Mother chose for him or the way that mls msl misled and nike exploited the young fella and I really think he has a whole lot of learning to catch up on. 

Yes, Nike certainly exploited him.

When he came over to the States from Ghana with his family and they didn't have a pot to piss in the horrible tyrants at Nike paid him $1 million to -- that's right -- advertise soccer gear!

It's almost worse than working in the diamond mines of South Africa! Oh, the exploitation!

::)
- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2007, 09:50:21 AM »
I ain't exactly a big fan of Freddy himself, the path his Mother chose for him or the way that mls msl misled and nike exploited the young fella and I really think he has a whole lot of learning to catch up on. 

When he came over to the States from Ghana with his family and they didn't have a pot to piss in the horrible tyrants at Nike paid him $1 million to -- that's right -- advertise soccer gear!

It's almost worse than working in the diamond mines of South Africa! Oh, the exploitation!

I guess your levitated state of conciousness for the suffering Africans in those diamond (or gold or silver) mines have had you suffer to pass up on purchasing jewelry on a whole, has it?  I guess poor Freddy would have been contributing to our collective vanity here in the good old usa had it not been for the Department of Justice and it's life-saving lottery, eh?  Good for you, good for him.   ::)  The "path" I talk about that his mother chose for Him that I have the slightest bit of issues with, was passing up on all of the offers from European clubs that little Freddy was getting before the mls msl misled came knocking on their door.  She claimed that she preferred for Freddy to stay in the us because she wanted him to receive an "education."   He got an education alright.  In PR. (and I don't mean "Puerto Rico.")  Freddy's career wout have been far further advanced had he joined up with one of the youth academies that were calling for him. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:40:58 AM by Mango Chow! »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

I guess your levitated state of conciousness for the suffering Africans in those diamond (or gold or silver) mines have had you suffer to pass up on purchasing jewelry on a whole, has it?  I guess poor Freddy would have been contributing to our collective vanity here in the good old usa had it not been for the Department of Justice and it's life-saving lottery, eh?  Good for you, good for him.   ::)  The "path" I talk about that his mother chose for Him that I have the slightest bit of issues with, was passing up on all of the offers from European clubs that little Freddy was getting before the mls msl misled came knocking on their door.  She claimed that she preferred for Freddy to stay in the us because she wanted him to receive an "education."   He got an education alright.  In PR. (and I don't mean "Puerto Rico.)  Freddy's career wout have been far further advanced had he joined up with one of the youth academies that were calling for him. 

Lol...

Well, I also disagree on the whole "Nike exploited him" thing.  Nike saw in him a unique opportunity to latch onto a hot, young player in a sport growing in dominance.  It was a smart bet at the time, that unfortunately didn't pan out.  Freddy was given the opportunity to be the face of US Soccer (perhaps at too young an age) and tremendous entre into the world of both celebrity, and celebrity endorsement.  By his own accord the experience has prepared him well for the global stage...and then there's that little thing about the extra dollars in his pockets too.  Hardly the stuff of exploitation if you ask me.

Where I do agree with you is that the opportunity to learn and grow within the Inter Milan system 6 years ago would likely have developed his talent exponentially compared to where he is now.  As much as I understand why any mother would not want to dispatch her 12-year old son and trust him to strangers half a world away...I think she received poor advice from her trusted cadre at the time.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »

The "path" I talk about that his mother chose for Him that I have the slightest bit of issues with, was passing up on all of the offers from European clubs that little Freddy was getting before the mls msl misled came knocking on their door. 

FIFA does not allow the international transfer of children. That's why he had to wait until his 18th birthday to transfer to Europe.

And you still didn't explain how Nike is "exploiting" him.

BTW - since when does the Dept. of Justice run the Green Card Lottery?  ???
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:21:51 AM by Zeppo »
- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »

I guess your levitated state of conciousness for the suffering Africans in those diamond (or gold or silver) mines have had you suffer to pass up on purchasing jewelry on a whole, has it?  I guess poor Freddy would have been contributing to our collective vanity here in the good old usa had it not been for the Department of Justice and it's life-saving lottery, eh?  Good for you, good for him.   ::)  The "path" I talk about that his mother chose for Him that I have the slightest bit of issues with, was passing up on all of the offers from European clubs that little Freddy was getting before the mls msl misled came knocking on their door.  She claimed that she preferred for Freddy to stay in the us because she wanted him to receive an "education."   He got an education alright.  In PR. (and I don't mean "Puerto Rico.)  Freddy's career wout have been far further advanced had he joined up with one of the youth academies that were calling for him. 

Lol...

Well, I also disagree on the whole "Nike exploited him" thing.  Nike saw in him a unique opportunity to latch onto a hot, young player in a sport growing in dominance.  It was a smart bet at the time, that unfortunately didn't pan out.  Freddy was given the opportunity to be the face of US Soccer (perhaps at too young an age) and tremendous entre into the world of both celebrity, and celebrity endorsement.  By his own accord the experience has prepared him well for the global stage...and then there's that little thing about the extra dollars in his pockets too.  Hardly the stuff of exploitation if you ask me.

Where I do agree with you is that the opportunity to learn and grow within the Inter Milan system 6 years ago would likely have developed his talent exponentially compared to where he is now.  As much as I understand why any mother would not want to dispatch her 12-year old son and trust him to strangers half a world away...I think she received poor advice from her trusted cadre at the time.

Hear what I'm saying: I doubt seriously that nike entered into their little marriage with Freddy for benevolent reasons (no matter the $1M contract he got from nike, I'm sure they projected to earn much, much more from the deal themselves.)  When Freddy was.......discovered, everybody and they momma was lining up to jump on Freddy's bandwagon (fifa and all!) and while Freddy is always going to benefit from all the hype and publicity, the people that are/were jumping on his bandwagon weren't necessarily doing it to "help Freddy"    
   Granted, he was "given the opportunity....to be the face of the mls" (msl misled) but even the most ardent of their fans HAD to know that, for all his prodigy, it was a responsibility that Freddy's shoulders would have been a little too narrow to take on...........at that time.   I applaud the fact that Freddy has forged his way through his challenges (remember his disastrous outing at his previous appearance at a Youth World Cup in 2003) and I even give credit to his mother, but at the very least, nike was being very opportunistic (as well I expect them, adidas or any of the major "brands" manufacturers to be) in their dealings with him.  I was just belching out from having drunk my nike hatorade this morning.

The "path" I talk about that his mother chose for Him that I have the slightest bit of issues with, was passing up on all of the offers from European clubs that little Freddy was getting before the mls msl misled came knocking on their door. 

FIFA does not allow the international transfer of children. That's why he had to wait until his 18th birthday to transfer to Europe.

......so I guess that means there are no foreigners taking residence in any or many of the football academies around the world?  Read my statement again, carefully this time, and check out your facts.

.....at the time that Freddy's Mom had won her lottery to gain entry into and resident status within this country, the lottery itself was overseen by what was then the Immigration and Naturalization Service.  That department was overseen by the Department of Justice.  Does that answer your question now?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:33:25 AM by Mango Chow! »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »

1. He wasn't under MLS contract when he turned down the Milan offer along with offers from PSV, Manchester United and Chelsea. Thus 'transfer rules' would not have applied.

2. INS/ICE is aligned under Homeland Security which is itself an offshoot of the DOJ.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:01:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »

BTW - since when does the Dept. of Justice run the Green Card Lottery?  ???

If Fredy and his moms/family moved to Europe at age 14, it would not have been considered an international transfer of kid.  It is called relocation, like he did by moving from Ghana to the USA.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »

Hear what I'm saying: I doubt seriously that nike entered into their little marriage with Freddy for benevolent reasons (no matter the $1M contract he got from nike, I'm sure they projected to earn much, much more from the deal themselves.)  When Freddy was.......discovered, everybody and they momma was lining up to jump on Freddy's bandwagon (fifa and all!) and while Freddy is always going to benefit from all the hype and publicity, the people that are/were jumping on his bandwagon weren't necessarily doing it to "help Freddy"    
   Granted, he was "given the opportunity....to be the face of the mls" (msl misled) but even the most ardent of their fans HAD to know that, for all his prodigy, it was a responsibility that Freddy's shoulders would have been a little too narrow to take on...........at that time.   I applaud the fact that Freddy has forged his way through his challenges (remember his disastrous outing at his previous appearance at a Youth World Cup in 2003) and I even give credit to his mother, but at the very least, nike was being very opportunistic (as well I expect them, adidas or any of the major "brands" manufacturers to be) in their dealings with him.  I was just belching out from having drunk my nike hatorade this morning.

Nike was opportunistic...agreed, as any smart business entity would be.  To say they "exploited" him implies that there was a one-way beneficial arrangement that Nike took advantage of...simply not the case.  $1million is a fair amount of money to give a 14-year old unproven commodity, and more than compensated for the opportunity cost of not going to Milan.  

Indeed the arrangement and simultaneous MLS promotions cast on him an undo burden to produce...but again, this is why you surround yourself with competent advisors which I think was lacking in this case.  I don't recall the specifics, but these were largely well-intentioned but inexperienced people (one a coach from his youth club, another a family friend etc.) who advised Emelia on both the Milan and Nike decisions.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:02:08 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »

If Fredy and his moms/family moved to Europe at age 14, it would not have been considered an international transfer of kid.  It is called relocation, like he did by moving from Ghana to the USA.

I think the 'transfer' thing as originally raised by MangoChow refers to his move to Milan when the offer was made at age 12.  At that time he wasn't under contract to anyone and no FIFA regulation would have restricted his movement to the club.  While under contract to MLS at age 14 any transfer would have to be negotiated with the professional entity holding his rights...MLS.  Regardless as to where he 'relocates' to

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2007, 12:33:04 PM »

Nike was opportunistic...agreed, as any smart business entity would be.  To say they "exploited" him implies that there was a one-way beneficial arrangement that Nike took advantage of...simply not the case.  $1million is a fair amount of money to give a 14-year old unproven commodity, and more than compensated for the opportunity cost of not going to Milan.  

Indeed the arrangement and simultaneous MLS promotions cast on him an undo burden to produce...but again, this is why you surround yourself with competent advisors which I think was lacking in this case.  I don't recall the specifics, but these were largely well-intentioned but inexperienced people (one a coach from his youth club, another a family friend etc.) who advised Emelia on both the Milan and Nike decisions.

I will hate on nike as I see fit no matter hummuch allyuh fight meh dong.   Maybe the person I have been hard on most with my comments is Freddy's mother,  especially where you said "....this is why you surround yourself with competent advisors...."   I wonder just how much of a task it must have been, with all the attention that her son was getting, to decide within herself just who she could trust, confide in and allow to make decisions for her and (more importantly) her son.  How would this lady really have known who to surround herself with?   

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
Reading Hugo Sanchez comments about the Mexican League, have me thinking about our league & MLS. When asked about the Mexican players going abroad to play, Hugo stated one game in Europe is equal to 10 games in the Mexican league. Now that depends on what league in Europe, but Freddie can only gain from his move, especially if he plays in CL.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »

And by moving away from the USA to Italy they would have kissed their chances at U.S. citizenship goodbye just a few short years after having previously won the Green Card Lottery.

And then if Freddy didn't pan out at Inter? In fact, do you know how many of the 12 year olds in their youth team manage to actually make it all the way to the first team?

No way were they going to take that chance.

$1million is a fair amount of money to give a 14-year old unproven commodity

Well it's a hell of a lot more money than I used to make mowing my neighbors lawns at that age!  ;D

- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »

And by moving away from the USA to Italy they would have kissed their chances at U.S. citizenship goodbye just a few short years after having previously won the Green Card Lottery.

And then if Freddy didn't pan out at Inter? In fact, do you know how many of the 12 year olds in their youth team manage to actually make it all the way to the first team?

No way were they going to take that chance.

It's not that serious, boss.  Freddy mudder woulda jes' have to travel back to the US once every 6 months to maintain her resident status (if even THAT woulda been necessary) and I'm quite sure, given Freddy's "special" talents and subsequent "special" circumstances, his path to citizenship would not have been hindered in any way, shape or form.

Reading Hugo Sanchez comments about the Mexican League, have me thinking about our league & MLS. When asked about the Mexican players going abroad to play, Hugo stated one game in Europe is equal to 10 games in the Mexican league. Now that depends on what league in Europe, but Freddie can only gain from his move, especially if he plays in CL.

Tell that to the men that love to cry down the Portuguese league and implicate it as being so much of a lesser league than all the others.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
Check out what Freddy has to say about the move to Portugal on his blog (which is sponsored by those exploitive slavedrivers at Nike):

Freddy’s Blog - I LOOOOOVE Portugal!

Things are finally done, I have officially signed with Benfica! I can not even tell you how happy I am…I have tears in my eyes writing this blog right now. Playing for a BIG club Europe has been a lifelong dream of mine and it’s finally happened. Wow, I’m speechless right now. I’ve said publicly many times that I wanted to go to Europe after 4 years in the MLS, and I was able to accomplish that in 3 and a half years. It just makes me happy to know that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to, even when people were down on me and were saying negative things.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2007, 07:33:35 PM »

I will hate on nike as I see fit no matter hummuch allyuh fight meh dong.   Maybe the person I have been hard on most with my comments is Freddy's mother,  especially where you said "....this is why you surround yourself with competent advisors...."   I wonder just how much of a task it must have been, with all the attention that her son was getting, to decide within herself just who she could trust, confide in and allow to make decisions for her and (more importantly) her son.  How would this lady really have known who to surround herself with?   
I seriously doubt anyone in this thread is that interested as to "fight you down" on your Nike comments, last I checked Phil Knight wasn't on the forum, so by all means, hate on...

Freddy's mother did the best she could...still doesn't mean that more sage advise wasn't in the wanting.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2007, 07:04:52 AM »

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread is that interested as to "fight you down" on your Nike comments, last I checked Phil Knight wasn't on the forum, so by all means, hate on...

:whew:  thanks for the confirmation and the clearance.  The two o' allyuh had meh worried there for a while that ah mighta subsequently needed to be expectin' something in de mail from nike legal dept.

Freddy's mother did the best she could...still doesn't mean that more sage advise wasn't in the wanting.

I still wonder who she could have truly depended on to provide that to her, considering her (presumed) inexperience in dealing with this kind of matter.....

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Adu gives Benfica the win in Portuguese League
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2007, 04:34:39 AM »
BENFICA 2 - 1 MARITIMO

For the third time in a month, Freddy Adu scored in the final four minutes, this time converting from close range to give ten-man Benfica the win over Maritimo.

Maritimo silenced Estadio da Luz in the eighth minute when Oliveira Kanu latched on to Ricardo Esteves' pass and expertly lobbed goalkeeper Quim.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu gives Benfica the win in Portuguese League
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2007, 06:08:02 AM »
- Xavi

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2007, 07:31:34 AM »
I am glad for him after he was abused in America.  In normal life in America, if a parent did to him what the MLS did they would be charged with "aiding the deliquency of a minor".  Hope they take good care of him there ...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
Well done youthman. A good few weeks for Adu. Let's see how he develops from here. he's making a decent push to get more time.

Diambars..what do you mean he was 'abused' in the US?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:16:36 AM by Filho »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
I'm really glad this guy has kept his head up and doing well,i don't know if it's because he is black but people always try to find a way to discredit or put him down when he was here,at one time it was his age,the DC united Coach put him under so much pressure until he had to complain and every body find he was wrong,he made certain decisions as far as which country he should play for people found him not loyal,for a young player he has a lot to deal with,my only hope does be what ever decisions he make works for him.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
The Key for Adu now is to get the experience of playing with other good players his age. He will get this in Portugal, it is also good that he is playing with the likes of Rui costa because they can teach him a lot.

In 3 years Adu will be the finished product and ready to play a leading role in Premiership, Spain or Italy.

What is important for him now is that he learns how to play.

he already has skills

Portugal will refine his game.

The more bench and reserve games the better because he does not want to go anywhere fast.
His career has been on super fast forward  now is a good time for him to slow down and fall off the radar.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

Freddy's changed a lot since moving to Portugal...

1]; } ?>