April 29, 2024, 06:31:08 AM

Author Topic: Much ado about Freddy  (Read 37156 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu gives Benfica the win in Portuguese League
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
I am glad for him after he was abused in America.  In normal life in America, if a parent did to him what the MLS did they would be charged with "aiding the deliquency of a minor".  Hope they take good care of him there ...

but he did hook up with pop singer jojo. not really abuse if she take care of him.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
Growing mash in order. Even though we all know that he growth spurt come ad gone.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »
Well done youthman. A good few weeks for Adu. Let's see how he develops from here. he's making a decent push to get more time.

Diambars..what do you mean he was 'abused' in the US?

Let stipulate that he was paid, however, to take a 14 year old kid and place the weight on his shoulder of carrying an entire pro league to me is abusive.  Whe juxtapose against sweat shops in india and other place, I struggle to see the difference, expect for he was paid better.  At 14 Messi, Gerrard, Owen, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Puyol, Cesc and other top players today were learning the game, they were not trying to make their perspective leagues successful.  Remember, not even Becks is getting it done.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
Well done youthman. A good few weeks for Adu. Let's see how he develops from here. he's making a decent push to get more time.

Let stipulate that he was paid, however, to take a 14 year old kid and place the weight on his shoulder of carrying an entire pro league to me is abusive.  Whe juxtapose against sweat shops in india and other place, I struggle to see the difference, expect for he was paid better.  At 14 Messi, Gerrard, Owen, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Puyol, Cesc and other top players today were learning the game, they were not trying to make their perspective leagues successful.  Remember, not even Becks is getting it done.

This is nonsense...plain and simple.  If those players you named were not being abused at 14, then Freddy wasn't being abused either.  MLS paid Freddy $1million dollars to sit on the bench at DC United and learn the game, only difference with Fabregas et al was that they were playing academy ball while Freddy ran with the reserves and rode some pine per Peter Nowak.  Nike paid him an additional amount to go to its academy in Bradenton, Fl and rub shoulders with Anna Kournikova and other young elite Nike Athletes, pick up the occasional book, and kick some ball.

Being made an instant celebrity and being asked to make a few token appearances on the league's behalf is in no way tantamount to 'abuse'.  There is no other way to characterize that assertion than to call it stupid.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

yeah yeah. i see where yuh coming from. dat was really an immense amount of pressure.  but he handled it well and he chose to take the opportunity knowing in theory what all the trappings were. true he was only 14, but it was up to the adults around him to guide him. it's easy to argue how difficult it would have been to turn it all down, but he had opportunities to go to Europe from early, under the radar and learn the game at a big acadamy with other youths with his level talent. in the end..he and his advisors chose the money, MLS and all the hype, pressure, fame that went with it. Fredi had choices..So maybe your sweat shop analogy is not all that close. Having said that...to even offer that to a 14 year old is a lil predatory. everyone was trying to get their piece of the small man..takes two hands to clap and both sides made their choices for better or worse. he seems to have come through it intact. let's see where he goes from here

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
Getting paid the league maximum at 14 years old! Oh, the abuse! 

::)

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

...to even offer that to a 14 year old is a lil predatory. everyone was trying to get their piece of the small man..

Is it predatory when Monterrey signs a Giovanni Dos Santos at 12...and then later that year sells him to Barcelona?  The guy is 18 years old and already he's been in Barcelona six years, pressing for playing time now with the First Team...let's not diminish the real despair suffered by children all over the world by calling this 'abuse'.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
Zeppo yuh know he wasn't no 14 yrs old! lol

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »

...to even offer that to a 14 year old is a lil predatory. everyone was trying to get their piece of the small man..

Is it predatory when Monterrey signs a Giovanni Dos Santos at 12...and then later that year sells him to Barcelona?  The guy is 18 years old and already he's been in Barcelona six years, pressing for playing time now with the First Team...let's not diminish the real despair suffered by children all over the world by calling this 'abuse'.

Bakes..That analogy is not even close. Even so, I am in no way comparing what freddy experienced to real child abuse. I made that pretty clear when i disagreed with Diambars sweat shop analogy. Freddy and co. had choices to make and they made theirs. Maybe you disagree with me calling some of the treatment a 'lil' predatory'..but I think you can see by my response that I am steering clear from calling it abuse. he had to face some pressures that the typical 14 year old should not have to face and I believe that there were those who were out to a make a buck of freddy and didn't really care what it did to his psyche...but how is that even news to anyone? i don't see it in black and white..but some shade of grey.

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »

This is nonsense...plain and simple. If those players you named were not being abused at 14, then Freddy wasn't being abused either. MLS paid Freddy $1million dollars to sit on the bench at DC United and learn the game, only difference with Fabregas et al was that they were playing academy ball while Freddy ran with the reserves and rode some pine per Peter Nowak. Nike paid him an additional amount to go to its academy in Bradenton, Fl and rub shoulders with Anna Kournikova and other young elite Nike Athletes, pick up the occasional book, and kick some ball.

Being made an instant celebrity and being asked to make a few token appearances on the league's behalf is in no way tantamount to 'abuse'. There is no other way to characterize that assertion than to call it stupid.

It is amazing that you call my "assertion" stupid when you made my point with your assertion "...only difference with Fabregas et al was that they were playing academy ball while Freddy ran with the reserves and rode some pine per Peter Nowak."  That is exactly where a 14 yr old boy shouls be learning the game.  Now, you have a tendebcy to call people names wheile trying to make your point, a real intelligent person can make their point without attacking the individual and calling them names.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
MLS teams didn't have academies when Freddy joined the league.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »

But he was offered the opportunity to go to Inter. 

Also, Banke n Shark and others, do you all think that their might be some correlation behind that fact the talented youths such as Cesc and Messi who spent the majority of their teen learning the game are having a tremendous amount of success today?

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2007, 02:25:18 PM »

Also, Banke n Shark and others, do you all think that their might be some correlation behind that fact the talented youths such as Cesc and Messi who spent the majority of their teen learning the game are having a tremendous amount of success today?

But instead of sending her 12-year-old son across the Atlantic, Freddy's mother chose to wait a couple of years more and keep him close to home, where he was able to sign for the top salary in the league and still live with his family -- something important for someone so young.

You also seem to be forgetting that for every Cesc and Messi in Europe there is the other 95% of youth players that doesn't even come close to making it to the first team. When they fail to make the grade they get discarded like yesterday's news.

And you think MLS abused him? You don't have a clue.
- Xavi

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »

But instead of sending her 12-year-old son across the Atlantic, Freddy's mother chose to wait a couple of years more and keep him close to home, where he was able to sign for the top salary in the league and still live with his family -- something important for someone so young.

You also seem to be forgetting that for every Cesc and Messi in Europe there is the other 95% of youth players that doesn't even come close to making it to the first team. When they fail to make the grade they get discarded like yesterday's news.

And you think MLS abused him? You don't have a clue.

When we talk about "clue" the offer was for them to pay to be in charge of his development and he would then move to Italy at age 14.  Do you know how many people go to law school and do not pass the bar exam?  Should that be a reason for people to stop taking the risk of paying high tuition for the chance to become lawyers?  Let me tell you, he could have accepted that opportunity and his entire family move to Italy when he was fourteen and he learned the game properly.  His earning potential today would have been far greater and he may have been enjoying the same status of some of the young players mentioned earlier?  Whay say you ... notice I did not call anyon stupid or anything of the sort, just dealing with facts and ideas????

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2007, 03:57:20 PM »
Let me tell you, he could have accepted that opportunity and his entire family move to Italy when he was fourteen and he learned the game properly.  His earning potential today would have been far greater and he may have been enjoying the same status of some of the young players mentioned earlier?  Whay say you ... notice I did not call anyon stupid or anything of the sort, just dealing with facts and ideas????

No, he couldn't have accepted the offer from Inter because he was only 12 at the time. His mother could have, but she chose not to. Perhaps she understood something that you do not: that only a small minority of youth players actually manage to make it to the first team. And she didn't feel like uprooting the entire family, after they had just arrived in the U.S. only a few years prior, to move to a new culture with a different language to take such a risk.

As far as his "earning potential" goes, he is making €400K per year with Benfica. I can tell you that there are very few 18-year-old players in Italy making a salary like that.

And "could have learned the game properly" is pure nonsense. Have you followed his career lately? This summer at the U-20 World Cup he scored 3 goals in 5 games was considered one of the players of the tournament. So far with Benfica he is averaging a goal every 53 minutes and the Portuguese press can't stop raving about him. I'd say that the way he has learned the game has done him alright so far.

You claim to be dealing with facts, but you sure don't know how to face them.
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Adu goes to Monaco on loan
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2008, 05:37:11 AM »
Adu heading to Monaco on loan

Freddy Adu has completed his switch to French club AS Monaco on a season-long move. The U.S. national-teamer had been on the radar of the Ligue 1 outfit for some time after learning that the 19-year-old was not part of coach Quique Sánchez Flores' first-team plans at Portuguese club Benfica for the next season.

Adu failed to hold down a regular spot at Estádio da Luz during his first season in Europe, but nonetheless scored five goals during his few appearances for the club.

He has now joined the ranks of Monaco with hopes of getting more games under his belt before a possible return to the Eagles.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu goes to Monaco on loan
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2008, 03:47:51 AM »
Monaco boss lauds Adu

Monaco President Jerome de Bontin spares few superlatives in his excitement over landing U.S. phenom Freddy Adu on loan from Portugal's Benfica.

"He is the leading figure of a new generation of U.S. players," de Bontin says. "He is going to be an ambassador for the United States. I can picture Freddy Adu as the player to do for U.S. soccer what Greg LeMond did for U.S. cycling."

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »
overrated

Més que un club.

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
Monaco boss lauds Adu

Monaco President Jerome de Bontin spares few superlatives in his excitement over landing U.S. phenom Freddy Adu on loan from Portugal's Benfica.

"He is the leading figure of a new generation of U.S. players," de Bontin says. "He is going to be an ambassador for the United States. I can picture Freddy Adu as the player to do for U.S. soccer what Greg LeMond did for U.S. cycling."

(continue)

Yeah right.like he eh see Altidor or wah....  If he shit down the place this year, he heading right back to MLS soon :rotfl:

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »

Having two sponsors on the front of the shirt is ridiculous...plus the sleeve and the back...Adu looking like a NASCAR car...

It's time for him to start producing on the field  :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
Adu could bona fide have a complete career in Europe. Eh no doubt about that. Where, for how long and at what level? A completely diff kettle ah fish.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »
Freddy Adu, ambassador to France[/size]

AS Monaco finalized the loan deal that brings American Freddy Adu from Benfica to the French league. Jerome de Bontin, Monaco's French-American president, said Thursday that the club has an option to buy Adu for 5 million euros ($8 million) at the end of the season, and he was on the lookout to sign another American before the end of the French transfer window in August.

"He is the leading figure of a new generation of U.S. players," de Bontin said of Adu. "He is going to be an ambassador for the United States. I can picture Freddy Adu, for instance, as the one player who can do for U.S. soccer what Greg LeMond did for U.S. cycling when he won his first Tour de France. Let's be frank, U.S. soccer is unknown in France and in some ways looked down upon. Freddy and AS Monaco can change that."

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »

Having two sponsors on the front of the shirt is ridiculous...plus the sleeve and the back...Adu looking like a NASCAR car...

It's time for him to start producing on the field  :beermug:

What two sponsors are you talking about ?

One is the kit sponsor and the other a club sponsor....puma=kit sponsor, Fedcom=club sponsor

It's the norm commercially ...Liverpool- Adidas-,Carlsberg, Mutd- Nike,AIG, Chelsea- Adidas,Samsung, Arsenal-Nike, Emirates, AC Milan, Adidas-BWIN....etc etc
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2008, 07:47:59 AM »

What two sponsors are you talking about ?

One is the kit sponsor and the other a club sponsor....puma=kit sponsor, Fedcom=club sponsor

I had linked a photo from Monaco website but they changed it. Check out this one to see what he was talking about:

- Xavi

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »

clear.

my apologies 'Boss'

He does look like a Nascar driver, lol.

But nothing compared to the Mexican League-multiple sponsors on the pants, painted on the field, real madness.

I also laugh during the MLS, and moreso US national games where they have a sponsor in the top left hand corner changing every 15 mins and sometimes saying 'this portion of the game is brought to you commercial free by.....'
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
Freddy arrives in Monaco

- Xavi

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »
MLS mess that up.  :P
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
MLS mess that up. :P

Was ah bad move to sign with the MLS.  He would have been better off going off to a big team and being farmed out.  Now he has lost some marketability and hype, and he greedy agent make out like a bandit.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:34 AM »
MLS mess that up. :P

Was ah bad move to sign with the MLS.  He would have been better off going off to a big team and being farmed out.  Now he has lost some marketability and hype, and he greedy agent make out like a bandit.

Calling it a bad move is a bit of an exaggeration.  At 14 his mother didn't want to pawn her kid off to some foreign team, the preference was to have him stay home and mature (physically/emotionally) a bit more.  Didn't hurt that he got paid $1million dollars plus an exclusive contract with Nike for his troubles.  One could argue that the $750,00 deal Inter offered the family when he was 12 should have been accepted in hindsight... but that as we all know is always 20-20.

Still, he's only 19.

1]; } ?>