April 29, 2024, 02:05:37 AM

Author Topic: Much ado about Freddy  (Read 37132 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu goes to Monaco on loan
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »
there must be some record 4 most loaned out player
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
the last game i saw he actually looked good in de midfield

he should find a club and stick with it tho
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
there must be some record 4 most loaned out player

He's on loan from Benfica... if there is a record he doesn't even come close.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »
Monaco boss lauds Adu

Monaco President Jerome de Bontin spares few superlatives in his excitement over landing U.S. phenom Freddy Adu on loan from Portugal's Benfica.

"He is the leading figure of a new generation of U.S. players," de Bontin says. "He is going to be an ambassador for the United States. I can picture Freddy Adu as the player to do for U.S. soccer what Greg LeMond did for U.S. cycling."

(continue)

Hyper-hyperbole!!
When these men spend money for a player, he is always the best no matter where he rates among other players.  Freddy will be a good player, but never a great one!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
Having two sponsors on the front of the shirt is ridiculous...plus the sleeve and the back...Adu looking like a NASCAR car...

Well if the man name ADuwhat yuh expect ;D

Monaco is a side, when they ready to play, but these days they does pick and choose they games sparingly Hopefully,they decide to play this season... They was really the first french side I ever really follow for a whole season.

On another note, French league shaping up nice: look like PSG, Marseille and Bordeaux really going to give Lyon a run for the money this time around.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »
MLS mess that up. :P

Was ah bad move to sign with the MLS.  He would have been better off going off to a big team and being farmed out.  Now he has lost some marketability and hype, and he greedy agent make out like a bandit.

Calling it a bad move is a bit of an exaggeration.  At 14 his mother didn't want to pawn her kid off to some foreign team, the preference was to have him stay home and mature (physically/emotionally) a bit more.  Didn't hurt that he got paid $1million dollars plus an exclusive contract with Nike for his troubles.  One could argue that the $750,00 deal Inter offered the family when he was 12 should have been accepted in hindsight... but that as we all know is always 20-20.

Still, he's only 19.

If you was Yorke Mother or family, would you had kept him in Trinidad at 16 to have him play for ah local team and get paid ah small money? Or would you have send him to a top team in Europe that would have giving him better coaching and experience of the game? I think he would have been much more marketable and today a better player, making much more money.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »
MLS mess that up. :P

Was ah bad move to sign with the MLS.  He would have been better off going off to a big team and being farmed out.  Now he has lost some marketability and hype, and he greedy agent make out like a bandit.

Calling it a bad move is a bit of an exaggeration. At 14 his mother didn't want to pawn her kid off to some foreign team, the preference was to have him stay home and mature (physically/emotionally) a bit more. Didn't hurt that he got paid $1million dollars plus an exclusive contract with Nike for his troubles. One could argue that the $750,00 deal Inter offered the family when he was 12 should have been accepted in hindsight... but that as we all know is always 20-20.

Still, he's only 19.

Ignoring the emotional and sentimental part of the decision making, we would have to say this was a bad decision.  What he is doing now, is basically what he would have done 3-4 years ago.  Learn the European system.  Why yuh think they loaning him out?  They don't think he's quite ready to play for Benfica.  This is a business, and they made the wrong deciosn in letting him join the MLS.  He has devalued his marketability and demand in Europe; you can't deny that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »
If you was Yorke Mother or family, would you had kept him in Trinidad at 16 to have him play for ah local team and get paid ah small money? Or would you have send him to a top team in Europe that would have giving him better coaching and experience of the game? I think he would have been much more marketable and today a better player, making much more money.

Of course it's better to go ply yuh trade in Europe... but yuh can't compare York, who was 17-18 (not 16), to Freddy Adu at age 12.  Especially not after his mother escaped poverty, domestic abuse and all kind of hardship in Ghana to bring him here... then turn around just a few years later and ship him off to strangers.

Ignoring the emotional and sentimental part of the decision making, we would have to say this was a bad decision.  What he is doing now, is basically what he would have done 3-4 years ago.  Learn the European system.  Why yuh think they loaning him out?  They don't think he's quite ready to play for Benfica.  This is a business, and they made the wrong deciosn in letting him join the MLS.  He has devalued his marketability and demand in Europe; you can't deny that.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  To say it was a 'bad' decision to keep him here in the US overlooks other genuine considerations that were made to protect him.  From a business standpoint he could have gone to Europe and flamed out... there was no guarantee, other than a place at the academy, which was a year by year situation.   Keeping him in the US there was an entire marketing campaign built around him, with guaranteed money behind it... $1mil a piece from both Nike and MLS.  From a business standpoint the move absolutely paid off... especially since the alternative in Europe offered no guarantees.

From a footbally standpoint the development of his game was arrested.  Would it have been better for his development to send him to Europe some years ago instead of now... absolutely.  To say that overall it was a bad move to keep him here... I can't say that.  There's good and better... not necessarily this good and bad polemic that you suggest.

Offline Sammy D

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Honestly I feel sad for Freddy because it seems his footballing destiny would never be in his hands. The world press has a way of making heroes and ultimately breaking them. A few years ago he was this 14 yr old prodigy, a must see, the future of the world game, at least from an American perspective. He was thrust into the limelight too early, paid huge sums of money and burdened with saving a dysfunctional US pro league. He did as any youngster would do when saddled with such a responsibility when placed in an adult world. He rebelled when coaches tried breaking him in slowly because he bought in to the hype. He wanted playing time. Then there were those who were jealous of his success and his paycheck and did everything intheir power to hurt him verbally and physically on the field. What a life for someone who was'nt even old enough to drive then. I was reading recently while abroad that he was bought by Benfica and he was so happy to escape the US and have a new lease on life but here we go again. He is being loaned to Monaco. A player is only loaned when he is surplus to the club. So why buy him in the first place? What message is being sent to the kid really? He may or may not end up being a disillusioned adult who fame ultimately destroys and that would be so sad. He never asked for all that. I pray that it does'nt.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

Of course it's better to go ply yuh trade in Europe... but yuh can't compare York, who was 17-18 (not 16), to Freddy Adu at age 12.  Especially not after his mother escaped poverty, domestic abuse and all kind of hardship in Ghana to bring him here... then turn around just a few years later and ship him off to strangers.

Well he mother and them geh they green card and citizenship off all ah that ah hear, after the hype about him being a phenom, Nike and who else sign him.  With his talent he mother should of let him go to Europe...deh will ah still give she thee green card.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »

Well he mother and them geh they green card and citizenship off all ah that ah hear, after the hype about him being a phenom, Nike and who else sign him.  With his talent he mother should of let him go to Europe...deh will ah still give she thee green card.

Nah de mother didn't get her green card because of him.  His dad used to abuse her, when he cared enough to be around, so she scooped Freddy and his siblings (he's the eldest, then there is his brother Fro, and I think one other child) and with the help of relatives fled to the US.  She worked for years as a domestic, and with the help of her employers was able to get asylum... probably claiming that her life was in danger if she went back.  I was living in DC back then but can't remember the story that well.  I really don't think the green card thing was any consideration, since her hopes for such weren't built around him...

At any rate I remember thinking at the time (2001) that it was a bold move to turn down the $750k that Inter had offered, but familiy is everything to that woman and she wasn't about to send her first-born... a child at that overseas like that.  Footballing wise it hurt him, but who knows what further harm she shielded him from.  We tend to hear about the success stories of kids at these academies, but we don't hear the horror stories.  I really can't fault her even with the benefit of hindsight.

Sammy D yuh make some excellent points...

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

Nah de mother didn't get her green card because of him.  His dad used to abuse her, when he cared enough to be around, so she scooped Freddy and his siblings (he's the eldest, then there is his brother Fro, and I think one other child) and with the help of relatives fled to the US.  She worked for years as a domestic, and with the help of her employers was able to get asylum... probably claiming that her life was in danger if she went back.  I was living in DC back then but can't remember the story that well.  I really don't think the green card thing was any consideration, since her hopes for such weren't built around him...

At any rate I remember thinking at the time (2001) that it was a bold move to turn down the $750k that Inter had offered, but familiy is everything to that woman and she wasn't about to send her first-born... a child at that overseas like that.  Footballing wise it hurt him, but who knows what further harm she shielded him from.  We tend to hear about the success stories of kids at these academies, but we don't hear the horror stories.  I really can't fault her even with the benefit of hindsight.

Sammy D yuh make some excellent points...

That could of buy she ah whole new life. ;D If family is everything to her, then she could ah go with him after they became neutralized by immigration. Ah hope she ent worried no more because ah nice lil piece ah money like that, could ah take away thee fears from me real quick deh Shark's. Ent?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »

That could of buy she ah whole new life. ;D If family is everything to her, then she could ah go with him after they became neutralized by immigration. Ah hope she ent worried no more because ah nice lil piece ah money like that, could ah take away thee fears from me real quick deh Shark's. Ent?

Boy when I see dey pass up dat I was real surprised yes... but say what.  Dey living nice doh, Freddy buy she ah big house up in Potomac and she eh really have tuh worry about money right now... plus he doing he thing in Europe.  He'll definitely not suffer for work for a number of years... whether he becomes the star that people projected him to be that's another question.  I personally don't see the skill set there, but he has pace and a decent finish... lesser players have gotten by with just that, so we'll see.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
Freddy go be ok, he a good confident playerand this loan go be good for him.  Man recently a good youth WC now in the Sr team pool. 
Making money playing in the french league, family set, it could be a whole lot worst. 

Bakes think she might have gotten it through the green card lottery.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Football's forgotten superstar - "Freddy Adieu"
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »
Football's forgotten superstar

Post categories: Football

Chris Bevan | 17:00 UK time, Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Remember Freddy Adu? Of course you do. In 2004, he was the 14-year-old who was seen as the future of the game in the United States and a potential new global star. The subject of gargantuan hype when he made his Major League Soccer bow in April of that year for DC United, Adu still holds records as the youngest player and goalscorer in the MLS's short history and is also the youngest player to appear for the senior US team.

The chances are you caught more than a fleeting glimpse of Adu in those early days. His name was everywhere on the internet, as were highlights of his goalscoring exploits for DC and for the US in Fifa youth tournaments. On the pitch, he was raw but also fast and skilful - off it, he was commercial gold and a $1m sponsorship deal with Nike was among several endorsement deals that swiftly followed.

Five years on, it is an awful lot harder to see him in action, unless you fancy a replay of those YouTube clips. Cruelly dubbed 'Freddy Adieu' by some, Adu has had a frustrating time since moving to Europe two years ago but, as I found out, any shortcomings he might have as a player are not the only reasons why his career has stalled.

Adu has not had much to celebrate since moving to Portugal in 2007

Adu is now 20, an age where most players are just starting to make a name for themselves. Conversely, his biggest problem is that he has been famous since he was a boy and, whatever your thoughts are on his ability, that reputation - not to mention marketability - has arguably hindered his development more than helped it.

In 2006, all seemed well. Adu made his senior international debut at the age of 16, coming on as a substitute for the US against Canada in January, and, despite rumours of a fall-out with DC coach Peter Nowak over his best position and his lack of application in training, the attacking midfielder played in all 32 of their league matches before featuring in the MLS All-Star game for the best individual performers that season.

By the end of that year, he had a brief spell training with Manchester United before, perhaps surprisingly, joining another MLS franchise, Real Salt Lake City. The following summer, he turned 18, allowing him to make his dream move to Europe and join Portuguese giants Benfica for around Ł1m. Sadly for Adu, this is where his career began to unravel.

He played just 129 minutes of league football for Benfica in 2007/08, with his only two starts for the club coming in cup games, and was loaned to French side Monaco for 2008/09 - again, he hardly featured, except from off the bench. This summer, he asked for another loan move and almost joined Danish side Odense before moving across Lisbon to Belenenses, a club that are perhaps a bit like Adu - a big name but have had a few lean years.

It was at this point that I tried to track Adu down. I know I'm not the only one interested in his progress, or lack of it - at the last count his Twitter account had more than 135,000 followers - and it was through one of his Tweets that I found out my interview request had been successful.

Not that I managed to speak to him. Instead, I received a fax of two sides of neatly-written A4 paper containing the answers to the questions I had emailed his club. Not ideal, as normally it is difficult to grasp the character of a player without talking to him. However, in Adu's case, two things still shine through - optimism and determination.

He needs those qualities too. Adu's move to Belenenses has brought him more frustration rather than the game-time which he craved. Although this season has seen him make his first league start since moving to Europe, when he faced Nacional on 12 October, he has only made two other substitute appearances and, of late, he has struggled to even make their 18-man match-day squad even though his new club are third-bottom of Liga Sagres with just one win all season.

This, clearly, was not part of the plan. As Adu told me last week, he joined Beleneses "because I needed to be on a team that gave me the best chance of playing consistently and because it gives me the best chance of making the US team for next summer's World Cup. I can make the World Cup team if I play regularly here and well."

Adu made his senior US debut against Canada at the age of 16

Therein lies the problem - it's not that Adu is playing badly, simply that he doesn't play often enough. The finals in South Africa are only eight months away and he won't earn a place on the plane by sitting on the bench. So what has gone wrong? American players have struggled to make an impact in Europe before but why is Adu having such a tough time in relatively modest surroundings?

"I'm not sure why," he said. "How any player does depends on your team and the league you are playing on. The Portguese style fits my game because it is about technique and is not too overly physical. But some players thrive under certain coaches and some don't because of the way they are used.

"Every team I go to kind of expects me to be a superstar and dominate but I am very young and still learning. I guess that's what comes of having a big name when you are young."

It's not all bad news. Adu told me he has no problems speaking or understanding Portuguese and most of the time he has his mother, Emelia, to keep him company in Lisbon. Then there is Twitter - his very own online support network, where he is in touch with old US-team-mates like Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley and Stuart Holden, not to mention his thousands of fans.

Adu, who was born in Ghana but moved to the US at the age of eight when Emelia won an immigration lottery, explained: "My mother is still the biggest influence on my career because she knows me best and always gives me the best advice when things are going well and when things are not going well - she always points me in the right direction. And my fans on Twitter are great. They always keep me positive no matter what. Those are true fans and I appreciate them so much."

If only more people had looked out for Adu, he might not be in his current predicament. Could, or should, the MLS have nurtured him better rather than effectively using him as a marketing tool? He certainly brought new levels of interest to the game in the States, but I struggle to see how any of that attention truly benefited Adu's career, other than financially.

It is ironic that, at the same time Adu - the one-time 'saviour' of US Soccer - left the US in 2007, David Beckham arrived on those shores to become the new face of the game in the States. The timing was a coincidence but the current thinking from those promoting the MLS seems to be that there is no point trying to develop your own superstar when you can just ship in a ready-made one.

As for Adu's next move? Well, it is too late to give him what he should have received - tutelage at an academy of one of Europe's biggest clubs where he could have quietly had the schooling his undoubted talents deserved. What he needs now is time on the field, and to perform well when he gets it.

Adu trained with Manchester United at the end of 2006

That looks unlikely to happen at Benfica, where he is under contract until 2012, but he will have to be careful when speaking to prospective suitors. I'm told that the reason Monaco signed him was that their French-American president Jerome de Bontin spotted a marketing opportunity but the club's manager Ricardo did not want him - and used him accordingly. A move back to the MLS might help but Adu is not ready to give up on his European adventure just yet, and could even end up on these shores.

"I LOVE-E-E the Premier League," Adu told me. "Playing in England is my ultimate goal. My favourite players are Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien, Didier Drogba and Steven Gerrard. Everything I'm doing now and have been doing is to prepare myself for the Premier League. If it were up to me, I would be playing there now but there are work permit issues."

Regardless of where Adu ends up next, it is surely too early to write him off. His recent displays against players his own age at the 2007 Under-20 World Cup and Beijing Olympics in 2008, where he scored four goals in three games, suggest he still has plenty to offer.

What he needs more than anything is a club where he is appreciated - if there were such a thing as a Twitter FC, it would be ideal.

You can follow Chris Bevan on Twittter at: http://twitter.com/chrisbevan_bbc

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football's forgotten superstar - "Freddy Adieu"
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »
A marketting ploy that the MLS used that backfired on freddy,they should have allowed him go to AC MILAN for his development. 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
"Therein lies the problem - it's not that Adu is playing badly, simply that he doesn't play often enough."

I thought if you play well barring injury you would get more opportunities to play.....Strange.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »
Freddy needs to holding until the U-17s become the full senior team, by then the style of play would have changed for the US and he will not be seen as a liability on the field any more.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »
"Therein lies the problem - it's not that Adu is playing badly, simply that he doesn't play often enough."

I thought if you play well barring injury you would get more opportunities to play.....Strange.

Not necessarily, there's also the issue of the dimension of one's play.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »

or could it be that while he is not playing bably.... the truth is that he is really not that good ?..

IMHO: I think he buss out too early.. (just like plenty players I know), the American media found an avenue to write something pleasent about soccer.. and they over hype this yute.....

Not even sure he can make that US 2010 team...

keep ya head up bredda

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2009, 07:32:21 PM »

Not necessarily, there's also the issue of the dimension of one's play.
But at different clubs as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
A marketting ploy that the MLS used that backfired on freddy,they should have allowed him go to AC MILAN for his development. 

"they" meaning who?  because the only person who stopped him from going to Inter (not Milan) for $750K was his mother, who understandably didn't want to send her 12-year old child away, especially not after what they had been thru in order to get to the US.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »

"they" meaning who?  because the only person who stopped him from going to Inter (not Milan) for $750K was his mother, who understandably didn't want to send her 12-year old child away, especially not after what they had been thru in order to get to the US.

Maybe so but regardless playing in the MLS hinder his development as a player.  Frankly, it give the man to much hype for a very young age.  That's what I think.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2009, 09:50:29 PM »
Maybe so but regardless playing in the MLS hinder his development as a player.  Frankly, it give the man to much hype for a very young age.  That's what I think.

I never said playing in MLS was good for him... I simply that I could understand why his mother didn't want to send him away.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2009, 06:26:29 AM »

How much minutes Latas play in the world cup as opposed to Theobald?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
Freddy will be on the US side for South Africa and if he plays he will make an impact. he is an Africa he will be well suported their.

He is a good player.

Most of the european teams fight him down maybe because he is an american premadona.

As long as he keep his simle on his face when given his chance he will take it.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »
Touches are you Zeppo in disguise?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Timing is everything
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
Timing is everything
Yahoo Sports

American soccer's million-dollar baby saw his World Cup dream extinguished on Tuesday, a full month before the sport's greatest showpiece has even begun.

Based on how Freddy Adu's career has faltered in recent years, it was no shock that he was left off the United States' preliminary World Cup roster, ensuring him a summer spent in front of a television screen instead of packed stadiums in South Africa.

Yet given the outlandish projections made for Adu in 2003 – when, as a 13-year-old, he was handed a million-dollar endorsement deal with Nike and touted as the future of the national team – the decline has been both sad and dramatic.

By now, according to the experts, Adu was supposed to be one of the best players in the world – the first American to become a global star. Instead, he is floundering in the lowly regarded Greek league, and Tuesday's announcement means U.S. head coach Bob Bradley does not even rate him among this country's 30 best players.

Adu's backstory used to resemble the first few chapters of a fairy tale but is now little more than a cautionary tale against overhyping young phenomena. He emigrated to the States from Ghana as an 8-year-old after his mother won the Green Card lottery, and was quickly spotted in the junior ranks in Maryland.

Observers could barely believe their eyes when witnessing such skills in one so young, and the soccer world soon caught on. Giant Italian club Inter Milan offered him a contract as a 10-year-old. US Soccer chiefs positively salivated at the prospect of a future superstar.

In 2004, Adu made U.S. sports history by becoming the top overall pick in the Major League Soccer draft and making his debut for D.C. United at age 14. In hindsight, such acceleration into the senior ranks smacks of madness. Back then, it was seen as merely the first stepping stone on the path to greatness.

Growing up in the spotlight didn't do Adu much good, with the big contract, big expectations and constant scrutiny weighing heavily on his shoulders.

Since 2006, he has resembled a soccer nomad, bouncing from D.C. to Real Salt Lake and then Benfica, the Portuguese club that retains his rights but has now farmed him out on loan to three separate clubs in three years. Some positive performances for the national team in age-restricted events were interspersed, in the Under 20 World Cup in 2007 and the Beijing Olympics (where most players must be 23 or younger) the following year.

The regular spot on the senior team never came, a decision effectively taken out of the hands of Bradley by Adu's failure to lock down regular playing time for his European clubs.

Back when the draw for the World Cup was made in December, Adu still retained some hope of being selected for Bradley's squad.

"I'm gonna say something right now," he wrote on his Twitter account. "I have never wanted to be a part of something as bad as I wanna be in this World Cup. Work and prayer."

This year's World Cup was earmarked as Adu's time to stamp his mark on the world game. From that time years earlier, when Nike hurled cash in his direction and his future looked golden, there was always an eye on 2010.

The 2006 World Cup was seen as too soon. This one, on the African continent of his birth, was perfect.

In the end, it just wasn't to be. The culmination of that plan did not take place in Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenburg, where the United States will meet England on June 12. It was instead in Adu's club apartment in Thessaloniki, with the announcement of a roster that didn't feature his name. Back to the drawing board.

So where did it all go wrong for Adu? Were the hype and expectations too much to handle? Or was he just never destined for stardom?

"It is difficult when young players do not have enough time to develop, when too much is asked too soon," said Hector Cuper, a well-respected Argentinean coach now in charge of Adu's Greek team, Aris. "Extra time allows for a more well-rounded game. He has ability, we can all see that."

Yet if Adu is ever to ascend to the heights he still dreams of, it will be a grind through the ranks and a constant battle to overturn perception of him as a bust. European soccer is a cutthroat world, and there won't be anything easy about it.

"I want to be one of the best players to play this sport one day," Adu said in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated. "I still have the chance to do that, and I want to work hard to get there."

"Getting there" is no longer a given. Recent signs have been reasonable, with some solid performances for Aris taking him to the brink of the 30-man U.S. squad after he was barely in contention months earlier. However, there is still a long and uncertain way to go.

"Freddy is still young and he will tell you there are things along the way he did right and things he did wrong," Bradley said. "Now he has to take all those things to the situation he is in and show he is continuing to grow."

Adu's Twitter account was silent early Tuesday, perhaps a reflection of the bitter disappointment he must have seen coming.

Freddy Adu is 20 years old and he feels like yesterday's man. Maybe his time will still come, but it won't be this summer.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Timing is everything
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
The 'debut' on the continent of his birth would have been nice

Whapm dey in troot?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Timing is everything
« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
frankly i don't care.

and i doh believe freddy is only 20 either. probably more like 25 and could get lock up for fraternising with jojo when she was bout 15 a few years ago.

more like him - http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1083689

1]; } ?>